Maintain a Good Posture
Edited by Pia Marie Villamante, Eng, Jonathan
Nowadays, we often see people hunched in front of their computers which has a big effect on our posture. Maintaining a good posture is essential and important for good health.
Regular exercise improves our posture and our bones. Poor posture could result to back pains, weak muscles, and worse osteoporosis. Osteoporosis is a disease where your bones decreases its mass and density which can lead to fracture. Good and proper posture helps us position our bodies in the least strain on supporting our muscles, joints and ligaments during movement.
What is Posture?
Posture is a particular position in our body when we stand, walk, sit or lay down. Proper posture is the right arrangement or straightness of our body parts. There are risks when we have poor posture and long-term effects which could affect our mental and physical abilities.
Is Good Posture Important?
Definitely it is important! Maintaining the wellness of your body helps you stay fit and even young looking. To maintain good posture, you must also choose the appropriate footwear. It not only depends on what you do, but also on what you wear. Good posture:
- 1Allows your muscles to work well.Advertisement
- 2Reduces stress and frustrations.Advertisement
- 3Avoids back pains, fatigues and strains.
Negative Effects of Improper Posture
Improper posture has a negative effect on our body. This includes:
- Back pains
- Muscles feel sore
- Difficulty in breathing
- Sprain or strain
- Makes a person look older
Steps on Maintaining a Good Posture
- 1Choose the correct exercises. Don't over do or over work your muscles which could lead to soreness and deep pain.Exercise regularly.
- 2Water is a big tool for maintaining proper functions of your body and prevents dehydration.Drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday.
- 3Yoga is a physical and mental exercise or practice which makes you feel relax and stress free.Practice yoga.
- 4Always ask a doctor who is knowledgeable and trustworthy.Consult your orthopedic.
- 5Some sort of pressure on the back might be a signal that your present posture and positioning of your body does not augur well for the torso of your body. If you might be lying in bed and a pillow is inadvertently or unintentionally situated at a position in your back which makes your torso dis-aligned, thus resulting in the back pain feeling. Immediately adjust your position by taking out the pillow from your back and allowing yourself a flat position with the neck only very slightly elevated. Or when you are in your office swivel chair and then you have realized that you are in a very slouched position for hours which you have not realized because you were very focused with your work. Adjust immediately by straightening your back. Or much better, stand up and do some stretching exercises to circulate your blood.Be alert about warning signs when you experience back pain.
Proper Sitting Position
- 1Sit back straight and your shoulders too.
- 2Your feet should rest on the floor.
- 3Make objects reachable.
- 4Bend your knees at the right angle.
- 5Your monitor should be eye level.
Proper Standing Position
- 1Balance your shoulders with your head straight.
- 2Do not stand in the same position for a long time.
- 3Stomach in, chest out.Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Eng, Pia Marie Villamante