Maintain Harmony in Your Department for Educational Leaders
Edited by Pia Marie Villamante, Anonymous, Eng, Lynn and 1 other
Maintaining harmony and a healthy relationship in your department has a big effect on your working lifestyle. As an educational leader, you also have to be a good follower so that you can gain your co-workers' trust and respect. Employees have a type of bond or link that keeps a discreet and tactful approach, but doesn't go further than personal level. Every employee has to mingle with others in order for them to work as a team. Every department has their own goals and ways of achieving them. Each employee must share their ideas, thoughts and emotions so that they can maintain a good and proper harmony.
Steps in Maintaining a Harmonious Department
- 1Communicate flexibly and fairly.Transparency and fairness in communication are essential components of an effective educational leadership. The readiness to converse with and contact your co-workers will result in gaining each other's trust. Stay as honest as possible and show that you care about everyone.Advertisement
- 2Build a positive working environment.As an educational leader, you should assure your co-workers a healthy and happy working environment. Be down to earth. If possible,avoid any kind of argument to prevent troubles at work. Even if conflicts cannot be avoided make sure that the differences of opinion are positive.Advertisement
- 3Avoid gossips.Gossiping does not have a positive effect toward your work. Actually gossip is the greatest destroyer of a harmonious relationship because it damages trust among your co-workers. If your members begin to involve themselves in gossip, avoid taking part in it.
- 4Cherish your co-workers' concepts or ideas.As a leader, you should know how to value your employees' thoughts. Care for each other's feelings and show your concern about them. You also need to be ready in case they needed to consult you on matters which affects your work.
- 5Immediately respond to every situation that requires sound decisions.Make sure that problems are addressed in the right avenue. Make sure that you are always on top of the situation by making sure that all your facts are clear and reliable. It is always important to consult top management on every problem and suggest ways to address concerns.
Why a Department Loses Harmony?
- 1Weak management or administration methodAdvertisement
- 2Poor leadership
- 3Disagreement among members
- 4Searching for supremacy
- 5Lack of contact or communication
- 6Dissatisfied with organizational proceduresAdvertisement
How to Resolve Conflict in the Department
An active involvement to resolve conflict will lead to harmonizing the department. If conflicts cannot be avoided, as educational leaders you have to know the strategies to resolve it. Here are some ways to help you survive the situation:
*You should have the ability to recognize conflict. Be inquisitive enough to understand the source of conflict whether it be from manipulative people in the department or differences of opinion.
*You should resolve conflicts personally. Written communication like memorandum,e-mails or chats are disembodied communication which hides emotions. Conflict has to be dealt with personally among the conflicting parties.
*You should be an effective listener. Sometimes, those who are engaged in conflicts just needed to be heard well. Allow those involved a time to ventilate their concerns positively but remind them that verbal battles or sarcasms are not welcome in a professional environment like the academe.
*Do not give your verdict immediately. Find time to examine your facts first before you offer mutually beneficial solution.
*Turn every conflict as learning opportunities. Remember, all the concerned parties will benefit if conflicts are properly addressed in a manner that are both financial to all. And that depends on your ability as educational leader to regulate emotions and lead to productive resolutions. No matter how imperfect your people, they are contributors in the attainment of your educational goal. Capitalize on the people's strength do not focus on their weakness.
How to Maintain Harmonious Educational Partnership with Parents
As educational leaders, maintaining a positive harmonious relationship with parents leads to a strong educational program for your department and lessen future conflicts. Here are some ways to use to establish a healthy relationship with the parents of your students:
- Provide an orientation program for the parents. This can be in a form of a primer or a catalog that will serve as source of information about the program of the school and their responsibilities in the educational partnership. You can host an orientation dinner for them and introduce the members of the faculty.
- Provide constant communication to the parents. Inform them of the academic performance of the students especially when a student has academic delinquency. They will appreciate the effort of your department in making sure that students academic performance are readily available to them.
- Channel them to the proper authorities on the concern that is not provided by your department. For example, on issues concerning settlement of account the best department to address this is the Accounting or Finance.
- Be available for consultations if the parents really need your presence.
- Show to the parents how you maintain a strong relationship with your students, with your alumni, and with your industry partners.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Business & Management
Recent edits by: Lynn, Eng, Anonymous