Maintain Harmony in Your Department for Educational Leaders
Edited by Pia Marie Villamante, Eng, Lynn, Florence I. Edim and 1 other
Maintaining harmony and a healthy relationship in your department has a big effect on your working lifestyle. As an educational leader, you also have to be a good follower so you can gain your co-workers' trust and respect. Employees have a type of bond or link that takes a discreet and tactful approach, but doesn't go further than personal level. Every employee has to mingle with others in order for them to work as a team. Every department has their own goals and ways of achieving them. Each employee must share their ideas, thoughts and emotions so that they can maintain a good and proper harmony.
Steps in Maintaining a Harmonious Department
- 1Communicate flexibly and fairly.Transparency and fairness in communication are essential components of an effective educational leadership. The readiness to converse with and contact your co-workers will result in gaining each other's trust. Stay as honest as possible and show that you care about everyone.Advertisement
- 2Build a positive working environment.As an educational leader, you should assure your co-workers a healthy and happy working environment. Be down to earth. When possible, avoid any kind of argument to prevent troubles at work. Even if conflicts cannot be avoided, make sure that the differences of opinion are positive. Amazing things can be achieved when people listen to and hear each other.Advertisement
- 3Avoid gossip.Gossiping does not have a positive effect on your work, nor does it reflect well upon you. Actually gossip is the greatest destroyer of a harmonious relationship because it damages trust among your co-workers. If your members begin to involve themselves in gossip, avoid taking part in it. And if you gossip, remember that people will not trust you, even if the gossip is about someone else. They'll wonder what you say about them when they leave the room.
- 4Cherish your co-workers' concepts or ideas.As a leader, you should know how to value your employees' thoughts. Care for each other's feelings and show your concern about them. Even if the ideas are not good, be diplomatic regarding how you let them know. You also need to be ready in case they needed to consult you on matters that directly affect your work.
- 5Immediately respond to every situation that requires sound decisions.Make sure that problems are addressed fairly. Make sure that you are always on top of the situation by making sure that all your facts are clear and reliable. It is always important to consult top management on every problem and suggest ways to address concerns.
Why a Department Loses Harmony?
- 1Weak management or and ineffective administration.Advertisement
- 2Poor leadership.
- 3Disagreement among members.
- 4Searching for supremacy.
- 5Lack of contact or communication.
- 6Dissatisfied with organizational procedures.
How to Resolve Conflict in the Department
An active involvement to resolve conflict will lead to harmonizing the department. If conflicts cannot be avoided, as educational leaders you have to know the strategies to resolve them. Here are some ways to help you survive the situation:
- 1You should have the ability to recognize conflict.Be inquisitive enough to attempt to understand the source of conflict, whether it's the result of manipulative people in the department. or differences of opinion.Advertisement
- 2You should resolve conflicts personally.Written communication like memorandum, e-mails or chats are disembodied communication, which avoids emotion. Conflict has to be dealt with personally among the conflicting parties.
- 3You should be an effective listener.Sometimes, those who are engaged in conflicts just needed to be heard. Allow those involved a time to express their concerns positively, but remind them that verbal battles or sarcasm is not welcome in a professional environment like the academe.
- 4Do not give your verdict immediately.Find time to examine your facts first before you offer mutually beneficial solution.
- 5Turn every conflict into a learning opportunity.Remember, all the concerned parties will benefit if conflicts are properly addressed in a manner that are fair to all. And that depends on your ability as an educational leader to regulate emotions and lead to productive resolutions. No matter how imperfect your people, they are contributors in the attainment of your educational goal. Focus on the people's strength, rather than focusing on their weakness.
How to Maintain Harmonious Educational Partnership with Parents
As educational leaders, maintaining a positive harmonious relationship with parents leads to a strong educational program for your department and will reduce future conflicts. Here are some ways to use to establish a healthy relationship with the parents of your students:
- 1Provide an orientation program for the parents.This can be in a form of a primer or a catalogue that will serve as source of information about the school programs, and their responsibilities in the educational partnership. You can host an orientation dinner for them and introduce the members of the faculty.
- 2Provide constant communication to the parents.Inform them of the academic performance of the students, especially when a student has academic delinquency. They will appreciate the effort of your department in making sure that student's academic performances are readily available to them.
- 3Channel them to the proper authorities regarding concerns not provided by your department.For example, on issues concerning settlement of accounts, the best department to address this is the Accounting or Finance department.Advertisement
- Be available for consultations if the parents need to discuss their children.
- Show the parents how you maintain a strong relationship with your students, with your alumni, and with your industry partners.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Maintain Harmony in Your Department for Educational Leaders. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Maintain_Harmony_in_Your_Department_for_Educational_Leaders
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Maintain Harmony in Your Department for Educational Leaders." VisiHow, visihow.com/Maintain_Harmony_in_Your_Department_for_Educational_Leaders Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Maintain Harmony in Your Department for Educational Leaders." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Maintain_Harmony_in_Your_Department_for_Educational_Leaders.
Categories : Business & Management
Recent edits by: Florence I. Edim, Lynn, Eng