Lose Weight with Turmeric By Taking Turmeric As a Supplement vs Taking Turmeric Weight Loss Tea vs Drinking Turmeric Smoothies ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Turmeric assists with weight loss because:
- It contains curcumin, a potent anti-inflammatory that helps all of your organs, muscles, and joints to stay in peak health, thus allowing you to exercise more frequently
- Turmeric's anti-inflammatory properties help prevent insulin resistance, which is caused when organs such as the liver, thyroid, pancreas and pituitary gland become worn-out and inflamed
- Turmeric lowers your overall cholesterol levels, thus helping your liver and cardiovascular system function optimally and weight loss is often the result
- Turmeric contains antioxidants that detoxify the liver of environmental pollutants and fatty deposits so that it functions more efficiently
- Turmeric cleans out your blood vessels, lowers lipids in your blood stream and also lowers the amount of fat that ends up in your tissues
- Eating this spice also helps reduce the damaging effects of eating a fatty meal immediately after you have consumed it, thus helping you to prevent weight even if you do lapse from your diet
- Turmeric encourages your metabolism to burn fat by boosting thermogenesis, which in turn shrinks and eliminates fat that is trapped in your tissues so that you lose weight and looks slimmer
- Turmeric prevents blood vessels from growing branches to adipose (fatty) tissues in your body so that fat cells are actually starved of nutrients and cannot grow and flourish in your body
- Turmeric increases the rate at which your gall bladder excretes bile, which results in lowered cholesterol and a revved up metabolism that helps get rid of fat
- It is high in the mineral manganese, which promotes the health of the cardiovascular system and pituitary gland, thus helping your body detox and lose weight faster
- It is high in iron, which is beneficial for the cardiovascular system and liver and helps your body metabolize carbohydrates and fats in an efficient manner
- Turmeric is a source of potassium, which helps your body eliminate sodium, which in turn reduces bloating
- Turmeric reduces gas and improves digestion in general, thus making it easier for your body to absorb nutrients from the foods you eat and metabolize them so they are used for energy
- Turmeric stimulates the production of the omega fatty acids that assist with brain and nervous system function and also the function of the pituitary gland, which governs the rate of weight loss
- Turmeric is a natural pain reliever that helps relieve joint and muscle pain, which in turn helps to keep you exercising and also helps you to recover from workouts faster
Method 1: By Taking Turmeric As a Supplement
Turmeric supplements are available in many different forms, but ideally, you should be taking high therapeutic amounts for weight loss it in capsule form. Turmeric is known for its bright staining yellow color that helps to prevent staining of your teeth and mouth. Taking three grams of turmeric a day can result in a weight loss of at least two pounds a week and maybe more weight if you are eating a diet free of sugar, refined carbohydrates, and fats. There is no special diet involved or required to lose weight while taking turmeric although the healthier your lifestyle and diet is, the better your weight loss will be.
- 1Take an optimum dose of organic, ground turmeric in capsules of three grams a day to achieve a weight loss goal of losing two pounds a week.Be aware though that as little as 100 milligrams of turmeric, taken over a period of several months, can still offer some weight loss and some health benefits.Advertisement
- 3For best results, create a calorie deficit of 500 calories a day through dieting or exercise and you will definitely lose at least two pounds a week.A good regimen is to eat 500 calories less than you usually would and to exercise to expend 500 calories more than you usually to eliminate 1000 calories from your calorie intake daily. Over a period of seven days, that means that you will lose 7000 calories, which is the equivalent of two pounds as for most people. This is calculated on the premise that 3500 calories equal one pound of weight loss.
Method 2: By Taking Turmeric Weight Loss Tea
This diet was developed to help people lose ten pounds in one week. It qualifies as being a crash diet, and it also is very low-fat, low-calorie and low protein, as you are only allowed to eat fruits and vegetables along with the Turmeric Weight Loss Tea. The fact that this diet is so limited and has you physically eating less than 500 calories a day can have most people losing at least a pound a day as normally most people consume over 2000 calories a day.
For this diet to work, and help you achieve a ten-pound weight loss in a week, you need to stick by its guidelines very strictly. Do not be tempted to eat or drink anything not described in the steps below. The minute you eat any meat, dairy, bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or sugar, you will gain the weight right back.
- 1Consult with your physician before embarking on the Turmeric Weight Loss Diet.Living on a diet of 500 calories or less a day is almost a fast, and if your health is currently compromised, a lack of adequate calories may make your condition worse. This diet also contains very little protein or fat, which can cause headaches, nausea, foggy thinking, muscle aches, lightheadedness and fatigue. If you are required to take medications with meals, this also may not be the weight loss regimen for you. This diet is also not nutritious enough for pregnant or breastfeeding women to subsist on and it is exactly the kind of eating regimen that should be avoided completely by people with disorders such as bulimia or anorexia.Advertisement
- 2Every morning for each seven days you will make 36 ounces of Turmeric Weight Loss Tea.In a big pot containing 36 ounces of filtered or distilled water, you will simmer together three heaping teaspoons of turmeric powder, one heaping teaspoon of ground cloves, two teaspoons of ground cardamom, two teaspoons of ground ginger and up to a tablespoon's worth of raw, organic honey or stevia. You can use a very large pot and make a couple of days worth of the turmeric weight-loss tea if like simply by doubling or tripling this recipe. It stores well in tightly capped mason jars or any storage vessel with a tight-fitting lid.
- 3You will drink twelve ounces of the Turmeric Weight Loss tea, three times a day, at the times you would normally have breakfast, lunch or dinner for a period of seven days.You can consume the turmeric beverage warm, room temperature or with ice. Most people prefer to drink this beverage warm, and you can reheat it in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. It is best not to bring the reheated mixture to a boil or you could destroy some of the tea's antioxidants as well as imbue it with a very bitter taste.
- 4For the period of the seven days, you can eat up to 500 calories worth of your favorite vegetables and fruits a day.You can eat your fruits and vegetables steamed, boiled, or baked and without any oils, sugars or fats. Most fruits are less than 100 calories a day and most vegetables are less than 50, giving you a great amount of leeway in how much you can eat.
Method 3: By Drinking Turmeric Smoothies
Replacing one meal a day with a turmeric smoothie that is under 300 calories could trigger a calorie deficit of 3500 calories a week, which in turn, would result in a weight loss of one pound off per week. Replace two meals a day with turmeric smoothies and you will lose two pounds a week. Some people also experience weight loss when drinking turmeric smoothies without dieting or exercising, simply because the smoothies are so high in diuretic fat-burning and metabolism boosting ingredients that the pounds simply drop off anyway.
- 1Make a Turmeric, Green Tea and Blueberry smoothie at 130 calories per serving.In a blender, add 1 cup of frozen blueberries, 1 cup of cold green tea, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, and one tablespoon each of ground turmeric, grated fresh ginger, flax seeds and honey. Add a handful of ice and blend everything together until frosty and smooth. Green tea is a powerful anti-inflammatory and diuretic that helps remove fat and toxins from the liver. Blueberries are a source of antioxidants that support the health of your thyroid and circulatory system.Advertisement
- 2Make a Turmeric, Orange and Mango Smoothie at 140 calories per serving.In a blender, combine 4 ounces of organic coconut water, 1 whole large orange, 1 cup of frozen mango chunks, a tablespoon of grated fresh ginger and 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric powder. Blend the ingredients together on high until you have a smooth and frosty drink. This creamy orange is very high in Vitamin A and Vitamin C, which supports the health of the endocrine system. These vitamins also fight the type of organ inflammation that causes insulin resistance and diabetes. The ginger in this smoothie fights inflammation as well as joint and muscle pain.
- 3Make a Turmeric, Carrot and Pineapple smoothie at 144 calories per serving.In a blender, combine a cup of fresh carrot juice, 1 cup of ice, 1 medium frozen banana, ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric, ½ a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger, 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. Whirl everything together and serve. This shake is rich in Vitamin A and C, which supports the health of the liver and pancreas. The almond milk provides essential fatty acids to support the pituitary gland and the ginger helps stimulate your circulation and boost your metabolism.
- 4Make a Turmeric, Papaya and Black Pepper smoothie at 145 calories per serving.In a blender, combine 1 cup of coconut milk, half a cup of papaya chunks, 1 frozen banana, and ½ teaspoon each of ground turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon. Add ¼ of a teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper, a tablespoon of honey and a handful of ice and blend all of these ingredients together until smooth. The pepper helps your body absorb the benefits of the turmeric and increases the potency of its antioxidants. Papaya is a powerful diuretic and anti-inflammatory that works synergistically with the turmeric to help reduce bloating and eliminate fat.
- 5Make a Turmeric, Kale and Tropical Fruit Smoothie at 150 calories per serving.Combine 1 cup of packed kale, 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 cup of frozen pineapple, 1 cup of mango, the juice of ½ of a lemon, 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger and a heaping teaspoon of ground turmeric. Blend everything together with a handful of ice until very smooth and serve. The pineapple and mango are very rich in Vitamin A and C, which supports weight loss and the kale supplies you with a broad spectrum of B vitamins and minerals that help to support the health of the thyroid. This helps it to function more efficiently so that you can lose more weight.
- 6Make a Turmeric, Red Lettuce, Avocado and Pear Smoothie at 155 calories per serving.In a blender, combine 1 cup o coconut water, 1 cup of packed red lettuce, 1 cup of chopped pear, the flesh of one avocado and one cup of ice. Add a teaspoon of ground turmeric powder and a half teaspoon of honey or stevia sweetener and blend everything together until smooth. Red lettuce is a food that works synergistically with turmeric by enabling you to absorb the antioxidants better. The avocado provides your body with a healthy source of fat that helps feed the brain and keep you in a good mood and the pear is a diuretic that also provides you with high amounts of Vitamin A and fiber.
- 7Make a Turmeric, Kale, Avocado and Kiwi Green Smoothie at 165 calories per serving.In a blender combine 1 cup coconut water, 1 cup of packed kale, 1 cup of kiwi pieces, the flesh of one avocado and a cup of ice. Add a heaping teaspoon of ground turmeric powder, and a teaspoon of stevia or raw organic honey and blend everything together with a handful of ice. The kale provides iron and a broad spectrum of B vitamins, needed for the health of your endocrine system. Kiwi is very high in Vitamin C, which fights inflammation and the avocado provides your body with a source of healthy fats.
- 8Make a Turmeric, Watermelon and Pepper smoothie at 169 calories per serving.In a blender combine two cups of cubed watermelon, ½ cup of ice, one heaping tablespoon of turmeric powder, three tablespoons of lemon juice, two tablespoons of honey, one teaspoon of extra-virgin coconut oil and a teaspoon of ground pepper. Whirl all of the ingredients together until smooth and frostily. Watermelon is a powerful diuretic that helps eliminate bloating from water retention and eliminate excess sodium from the kidney. The pepper in this smoothie makes it easier for the antioxidants in the turmeric to be absorbed by the body.
- 9Make a Turmeric, Spinach and Apple Smoothie at 185 calories per serving.In a blender, combine 1 cup coconut water, 1 cup of packed spinach, 1 chopped apple, a tablespoon of olive oil, a teaspoon of flax seeds and a cup of ice. Add a teaspoon of ground turmeric powder, a dash of cinnamon and a half teaspoon of honey or stevia sweetener and blend everything together until smooth. The apple is a great source of fiber and protein that can help clean you out and keep you feeling satisfied until it is time for your next meal. The spinach is a source of Vitamins A and C and also iron, which supports the thyroid and general health of your endocrine system, which in turn keeps your metabolism working efficiently.
- 10Make a Turmeric, Mango and Ginger smoothie at 190 calories per serving.In a blender, mix together 1 cup of coconut milk, ½ cup of frozen mango chunks, 1 small frozen banana, 1 tablespoon of coconut oil, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, ½ a teaspoon ginger and a dash of sea salt. Add a half a cup of ice to make a frostier smoothie. The spices in this smoothie increase your circulation, speeding up metabolism and the coconut oil contains essential oils that help cut cravings. Mangos rich in vitamin A and C and well-known for being a low calorie, fat-burning fruit that is high in fat fighting potassium.
- 11Make a Turmeric Golden Yogurt Smoothie at 265 calories per serving.In a blender, combine 1 frozen banana, 1 cup of frozen mango chunks, a handful of ice, 1 cup of plain kefir and one teaspoon of turmeric. Add a dash of cinnamon, a teaspoon of honey and a slim teaspoon of pure organic vanilla. Pulse all of the ingredients together until you have a smooth and frosty shake. The Greek yogurt promotes the health of your gut by supplying it with good bacteria. This helps prevent bloating and gas, which makes you look slimmer. The mango is very high in Vitamins A and C, which helps support the health of your thyroid and liver.
- 12Make a Turmeric, Coffee and Cashew Smoothie at 270 calories a serving.In a blender, combine ¼ cup oats, ¼ cup soaked cashews, 1 tablespoon of chia seeds, 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon, 1tablespoon of grated ginger, 1 teaspoon of instant espresso coffee and 1 cup of almond milk. Add a handful of ice cubes and blend everything together until smooth. This is a high protein, diuretic smoothie that reduces bloating because it contains caffeine from the espresso and the turmeric. The chia seeds, cashews, honey and almond milk help you resist cravings between meals and provide a slowly burned source of steady energy that can help keep you focused throughout the day.
Method 4: By Adding Turmeric to Your Daily Diet
- 3Add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to tomato juice.The taste of the tomatoes compliments and also masks the strong bitter flavor of the turmeric. You can also add it to other tomato based drinks such as V-8 or Clamato juice. A pinch of turmeric is added to Bloody Mary and Bloody Caesar recipes to give it a more astringent taste.
- 4Make the classic Golden Milk recipe.Heat up eight ounces of your favorite milk, whether it be dairy or a nut milk such as almond milk or cashew milk. You can also use coconut milk, soy or rice milk for this recipe. Add a slim tablespoon of ground powdered turmeric, and a dash of organic vanilla to the drink. Then add a sprinkle powdered cinnamon and powdered ginger. Some people also like to add a bit of nutmeg to the drink. This drink promotes detoxification and weight loss and at the same time it is also a potent pain reliever that boosts your circulation. It is also recommended that you only drink Golden Milk at night, as it is known for it's ability to make people drowsy.
- 5Add a teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of miso soup.Turmeric pairs brilliantly with miso and gives it more flavor and body. Miso is a soy based soup that is also a good source of vegan protein and it can be dressed up with other ingredients that speed up the metabolism and burn fat such as seaweed, green onions, chili and ginger.
- 6Add a teaspoon of turmeric to a cup of beef or chicken bone broth or chicken or beef soup.This meal offers you a dose of protein along with turmeric's anti-inflammatory qualities. Add garlic cloves and freshly grated ginger and you have an effective detox soup that also fights bacteria and colds. A little turmeric also goes well sprinkled on canned or powdered chicken soup.
- 8Make a classic Dahl soup.Mix two cups of yellow split peas with four cups of water, half a tablespoon of salt, one tablespoons of butter, two minced cloves of garlic, a whole minced onion, a chopped red chili pepper, chopped cilantro and a tablespoon of ground turmeric. Cook for at least 45 minutes, until the peas have broken down into a grainy, but creamy vegetable soup and serve with cilantro as a garnish. Keep in mind that even though split peas are very nutritious and a vegan source of protein and B vitamins, that this particular soup has a high glycemic rating, meaning it could raise your blood sugar if you are diabetic.
- 9Add turmeric to a vegetable dip.Turmeric pairs well with sour cream, cream cheese and yogurt to make a tasty bright yellow dip. Add dried chives and onion powder and a bit of low-fat mayonnaise to add flavors that go well with turmeric. You can also add a teaspoon of turmeric to store-bought dips to make them a bit healthier.
- 10Make a simple Turmeric and Apple Cider Dressing.Combine 1/3 of a cup of olive oil, half of a fresh lemon, a pinch of sea salt, a heaping teaspoon of turmeric and a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a bottle or jar. Shake the mixture well and pour it over salads, citrus fruits or roasted vegetables.
- 11Add turmeric to a skillet of sautéed apples.Cook two cups of apples in two tablespoons butter or coconut oil and add a sprinkling of brown sugar, vanilla and tablespoon each of turmeric and cinnamon. This is a high protein, low-fat dish that boosts your circulation and metabolism. You can serve it with pork, for breakfast with oatmeal or you can eat it for dessert. You can also used apples sautéed in turmeric and butter as a filling in pastries.
- 13Make a Turmeric cottage cheese scramble.In a skillet, containing one tablespoon of coconut oil, scramble together two cups of cottage cheese, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped tomato, a half of a cup of chopped coriander leaves, 1 heaping teaspoon of turmeric and ½ teaspoon each of cumin seeds and coriander powder. This dish can be eaten with toast instead of scrambled eggs and it can be used a side with Indian dishes. It pairs especially well with boiled spinach.
- 15Make a classic Turmeric, Raisin and Cashew Rice.Add a half cup of raisins (golden or brown), a half cup of cashews, a tablespoon of ground turmeric, a teaspoon of ground cumin and a teaspoon of ground coriander to the cooking water of four cups of brown rice. The result will be a pleasing sweet and spicy accompaniment that goes very well with meat and vegetable dishes.
- 16Add turmeric to all of your lentil recipes.The flavor compliments soups, dishes and curries made with lentils. A simple dish is to blend two cups of boiled lentils with a tablespoon of ground turmeric powder, cinnamon, chili powder and salt and pepper. This is a Western version of a paneer that goes well with a pita or naan bread.
- 17Make turmeric chickpea patties.Pulse together two cups of chickpeas, one chopped white onion, several minced garlic cloves, a tablespoon of ground turmeric, a teaspoon of cayenne pepper and then mold it together into puck-shaped patties. Lightly fry them in olive oil for about five minutes until brown and serve/
- 18Make cauliflower sautéed with turmeric.Cut two cups cauliflower florists in half and sauté in a tablespoon each of turmeric, olive oil until the cauliflower is almost soft. Season with salt and pepper and serve. Another option is to brush a whole cauliflower head with olive oil mixed with salt, pepper and turmeric and bake in the oven for thirty minutes.
- 19Make a turmeric and chia seed pudding.In a mason jar deposit four tablespoons of chia seeds, one tablespoon of honey, half a teaspoon of cinnamon powder and half a teaspoon of turmeric powder. Fill the jar with two cups of any type of milk, nut based or a regular milk and put the cap on the mason jar. Refrigerate the pudding overnight. This pudding is full of protein from the chia seeds and milk and goes well topped with blueberries or bananas. It can be eaten for breakfast or as a snack or dessert.
- 20Make a Bee's Knee's Turmeric cocktail.Combine one teaspoon of turmeric with ½ cup of very hot water and ½ a cup of raw organic honey in a jar and shake well until it resembles a thin, grainy syrup. Cool the mixture in the refrigerator and then, in a cocktail shaker, combine the syrup, two ounces of gin, an ounce of freshly squeezed lemon juice in. Shake well and pour into a martini glass. Garnish with a sprig of thyme or lavender. The Bee's Knees Turmeric cocktail can also served on the rocks, if preferred.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- For best results, read labels and signs and be sure to buy a turmeric that is certified organic from a health foods store; keep in mind that not all supplements or powdered food grade turmeric are certified organic
- Make sure that you are not confusing curry powder with ground turmeric as curry is a general name for spice blends that contain turmeric and other spices such as cumin, ginger, fenugreek, coriander, clove, and cardamom; turmeric is sold on its own
- Turmeric is more easily absorbed by the body when combined with black pepper, so be sure to add black pepper liberally to any turmeric recipes
- Turmeric does not dissolve well in water, so it is more bioavailable to your body if you mix it with a healthy oil such as coconut, olive or flaxseed; this is why so many turmeric smoothies contain some kind of healthy oil
- Turmeric's antioxidants are more bioavailable to your body if you combine it with foods that contain quercetin such as red wine, red grapes, apples, berries, raw kale, red leaf lettuce, raw spinach, sweet pepper, snap beans and raw broccoli
- When added to foods that are high in Vitamin A, such as carrots, sweet potato, and pumpkin, turmeric can actually preserve and increase the beta-carotene content of the food
- Turmeric added to grilled or barbecued meat helps prevent the formation of heterocyclic amines, which are carcinogens known to cause cancer
- To prevent a permanent stain from spilled turmeric powder, quickly scrub the area with soap and hot water and wear gloves to avoid staining your hands too
- If turmeric does not remove easily from your skin, then be patient, the yellow discoloration tends to disappear within a day or two
- Turmeric may cause issues with people suffering from acute kidney disease so be sure to consult with a physician before taking high amounts of turmeric every day if you have this type of physical issue.
Questions and Answers
Recipes for gall bladder diet?
Recipes for gall bladder diet?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna