Lose Weight with Raw Chocolate (Cacao)
Edited by Donna, Eng
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Raw Chocolate
Raw chocolate also goes by the name of raw cacao. It is sold as:
- processed bars segmented into squares or oblongs
- nibs (which is the center of hulled raw chocolate) and can be eaten raw or added to recipes
- powder that can be mixed into liquids
It is the chocolate bar that is mainly used for weight loss after exercise as recommended in Steps to Losing Weight with Raw Chocolate (Cacao). To qualify as useful in weight loss, a chocolate bar must have a cacao content over 70%.
Raw chocolate enables weight loss because:
- It is low-calorie and satisfying but sweet and rich enough to stop cravings for desserts and other carbs , which in turn causes weight loss
- It improves insulin sensitivity, which assists your body in absorbing nutrients and turning carbohydrates into energy instead of accumulations of fat
- The flavenols in chocolate improve cognitive function and mood, which makes one more inclined to exercise and less inclined to eat high-carb or sugary treats that causes fatigue and mood swings
- It is a potent source of magnesium, which improves mood and helps relax muscles so workouts and recovery from workouts is less painful
- It is a great source of oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that is good for heart health
- Is a low fat source of high quality protein, which helps support muscle growth and the fat-burning process
- Is a good source of fiber, which causes weight loss by cleaning waste from the colon
- It contains polyphenols that reduce inflammation of the joints and muscles
Steps to Losing Weight with Raw Chocolate (Cacao)
You will lose up to two pounds a week on this diet, which is most effective used in conjunction with exercise, Raw chocolate and exercise work synergistically to lower insulin resistance, which causes the endocrine system to work more efficiently and the pounds to drop off dramatically because food is turned into glycogen (fuel for the body) instead of fat. The higher the cocoa content in the bar, which can be as high as 99%, the more effective it will be as a fat burner, but also the bitterer it will be in taste.
- 1Chocolate bars that are processed in this way have less flavones, the anti-oxidants responsible for many of the health benefits associated with eating raw cacao including weight loss.) #Chocolate brands that do not contain alkali are Alter Eco, Chocolove, Intense Dark, Godiva, Green and Black Maya Yo Yo, Lindt, Pascha, Taza, Sweetriot, Vivana and Valrhona.Shop for a supply of good quality raw, organic chocolate bars with at least 70% cacao content that do not have "processed with alkali" on the label.Advertisement
Additional Ways to Use Raw Chocolate (Cacao) For Weight Loss
Here are some additional ways to incorporate raw chocolate into your diet to help you lose weight. Keep in mind that cooking cacao tends to spoil some of the antioxidants, flavenols and polyphenols in it, so many of these recipes and ideas are inspired by raw vegan cooking techniques.
- 1Blend two cups of coconut water, one tablespoon of coconut oil, three heaping tablespoons of finely ground cacao powder and a teaspoon each of cinnamon and turmeric. Add a dash of pure vanilla, ground cayenne and pink sea salt and pour over ice. The spices in this drink lower blood sugar and fight inflammation along with the cacao. The cashews prevent hunger and are a good source of protein for muscle-building. The coconut water is deeply hydrating at the cellular level and helps flush out toxins.Make a dairy-free raw cacao weight loss drink.Advertisement
- 2Brew a cup of your favorite black tea (such as Earl Grey, Ceylon, English Breakfast or Bergamot)and add a splash of raw almond milk and one teaspoon cacao powder. Sweeten with stevia and add a dash of cinnamon. The tea is cleansing and reduces bloat and the almond milk provides a splash of protein.Make a soothing cup of Chocolate Almond Black tea.
- 3Add three tablespoons raw cacao powder, one tablespoon soaked chia seeds, eight ounces of almond or coconut milk, 3 cups shredded spinach, a handful of mango chunks and blend well. If the smoothie is a bit tart, add a teaspoon of Truvia or Xylitol sweetener. Chia seeds add pure vegan protein and the other ingredients are full of super-anti-oxidants that prevent inflammation and help detoxify the body.Make a raw chocolate green superfruit smoothie.
- 4Blend 8 ounces almond milk, two tablespoons soaked chia seeds, 1 frozen banana, I cup fresh or frozen cherries and two heaping tablespoons of raw cacao powder to create a delicious, drink that it can be enjoyed for breakfast or dessert. Bananas and cherries are both high in potassium and potent anti-inflammatory superfruits that help promote recovery after workouts.Make a raw chocolate cherry smoothie.
- 5Blend one cup cooled coffee, 2 tablespoons cacao nibs, two tablespoons of Truvia, a half cup of coconut milk and one banana. Blend it together until smooth and drink before going to a work out to be fueled with lots of protein and energy.Make a caffeinated cacao-nib banana smoothie, a handful of ice, two tablespoons of cacao nib's smoothie.
- 8Blend 3 tablespoons of raw cacao with 1 mashed avocado, 3 tablespoons almond or cashew butter, ½ cup of almond milk or coconut milk, 1/3 cup prunes or dates, ¼ cup maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon, salt and pure vanilla extract. Spoon into dessert bowls and chill until firm. Garnish with mint or fruit. The prunes in this recipe facilitate elimination and the nut butter is a good source of muscle-building protein.Make an easy raw chocolate mousse.
- 9The goal here is to make a spread that is similar to Nutella. Blend one cup hazelnuts, 1/3 of a cup cacao powder, four tablespoons honey, 1 tablespoon of vanilla and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Contain in a jar for use as a spread for crackers, toast and fruit slices.Make a raw chocolate hazelnut spread.
- 10Mix six ounces almond or cashew milk with two tablespoons of raw cacao powder, 2 tablespoons of stevia or Truvia in a blender. Pour into a pot and heat until almost boiling while stirring, then pour into a mug and serve. People who drink this at night sleep well, which in turn encourages weight loss and body repair.Enjoy a cup of dairy-free hot cocoa made with cacao to melt away a stress before bedtime.
- 11Heat 1 can coconut milk, 1 cup water, ¼ cup of cacao powder, 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon stevia, 1 tablespoon cinnamon and ½ teaspoon chili powder. Add a dash of sea salt and cinnamon. This is a very alkaline drink that is relaxing. All of the spices in it calm inflammation and speed up circulation, which is good for weight loss.Make a traditional Spicy Raw Mexican Hot Chocolate drink.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Dark chocolate bar brands processed with alkali that are better off avoided because they are low in raw cacao and high in sugar are Dove Dark Chocolate, Hershey's Special Dark, Milky Way Midnight, Cadbury Bournville and Brookside Dark Chocolate berries
- Avoid eating milk chocolate bars as they tend to be too high in sugar to cause weight loss.
- Baby spinach blends better in a smoothie than other kind of spinach
- Freezing your fruit first before you blend gives smoothies a frosty quality.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight with Raw Chocolate (Cacao). (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 30, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Raw_Chocolate_(Cacao)
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight with Raw Chocolate (Cacao)." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Raw_Chocolate_(Cacao) Accessed 30 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight with Raw Chocolate (Cacao)." Accessed Mar 30, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Raw_Chocolate_(Cacao).
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna