Lose Weight with Rambutan With A 3 Day Rambutan Leaf Tea Fast vs With the 10 Day Rambutan Fat Burning Diet vs By Substituting Meals for Rambutan Smoothies ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Inukshuk, Eng
Rambutan is called a super fruit because it is rich in beneficial fatty acids and protein and Vitamin C. It also contains a wide spectrum of vitamins and minerals, which makes it a suitable diet food.
This is an exotic fruit, related to the much smaller lychee, with a moist seedless white fleshy core and a hard rust-colored shell with long fibrous spikes. It has a bland sour taste that has a hint of cinnamon and vanilla. It ranges in size from a plum to an orange. You can buy them at Asian fruit markets and stores specializing in gourmet produce. Some health food stores might also carry rambutans. You can also sometimes find pickled rambutans but these are usually very high in sugar and sodium and not suitable to eat if you are on a diet.
Aside from eating the fruit, you can also make a weight loss tea, made from the leaves of the plant. The leaves are yellow to dark green in color. As it is hard to find rambutan tea in North America, you can brew it yourself from the fresh leaves you find attached to the top of the fruit when you buy it.
Eating rambutan fruit promotes weight loss because:
- There are only 20-21 grams of carbohydrates in an average sized rambutan, which makes it an ideal food for those on a low carb diet to eat
- Rambutans contain a very small amount of fat at .21 to 22 grams, but it is the healthy kind that supports brain, nerve function and the efficient functioning of the vagus nerve that controls your gut and keeps it healthy
- Rambutans are rich in volatile organic compounds that help maintain the cellular health needed to maintain weight-loss over the long term and that also gives this fruit its special fruity, vanilla and cinnamon scent
- This fruit is very high in Vitamin C at 4.9 mg, which fights inflammation and keeps all of the body's organs in efficient working order, making it easier for you to lose weight
- They are is a rich source of all of B vitamins that assist with general overall health and optimizing your metabolism including B1, B3, B6 and foliate
- Rambutans are a good source of easily digested plant fiber that helps clear waste and toxins from the digestive system, thus aiding elimination
- They are very high in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure and kidney function and also helps to reduce bloating
- Rambutans contains high amounts of copper, iron and magnesium, which are needed to keep your nervous system and hair healthy while you are on a diet
- Rambutan is a natural pain killer than help you deal with the headaches that accompany a low-calorie diet as well as any post-workout pain
- Rambutan serves to naturally cut your appetite, making you feel full after you consume just a little bit of it
Drinking a tea made from brewed rambutan leaves promotes weight loss because:
- It contains phenols that relieve diarrhea and that help your stomach and intestines gently detoxify
- It contains tannins that help kill bacteria and parasites living in your intestines, thus improving its environment and making it easier for you to absorb nutrients
- There is anecdotal evidence that drinking rambutan leaf tea may help fight insulin resistant conditions, such as Type II diabetes, that can cause water retention and weight gain
Method 1: With A 3 Day Rambutan Leaf Tea Fast
This particular fast entails drinking a freshly brewed tea made from brewed rambutan leaves, ginger, mint and lime juice and nothing else for three days. This usually enables most people to lose three to five pounds in a very short time.
- 1Consult with your physician first, before going on this or any other kind of fast.Rambutan leaves have no known interactions but if you are diabetic or need to take medicine with food, this may not be your best choice of diet.Advertisement
- 2Clear your schedule as you may not have the energy for doing anything that you would normally do, including going to work.Be sure to pamper yourself and take it easy for the next three days.Advertisement
- 3Obtain fresh rambutan leaves from a gourmet health food store or Asian food market.Sometimes, the only way you can get them is if they are still attached to the fruit. Sometimes you can also find dried rambutan tea leaves, that are sold loose or in tea bags. However, it is better to use real leaves from the fruit as sometimes Asian teas have ingredients that are not listed on the label. Rambutan tea leaves can also be very hard to find in North America, but in Asia they are a common item that grows in most gardens.
- 4Boil water and infuse two to three fresh rambutan tea leaves in a glass teapot infuser for about twenty minutes.If you like your tea to be hot, you can wrap the glass pot with a tea towel or cover it with a tea cozy. The stronger the brew, the better so if you can let the leaves sit in the pot for as long as an hour, and drink the tea lukewarm, that is even better.
- 5Pour the rambutan leaf tea into a cup and add a dash of lime juice, a sprig of mint and a teaspoonful of finely grated ginger.You can substitute lemon or tangerine juice for the lime juice if you like. You can also drink the tea cold on the rocks or mixed with water or sparkling water if you find the taste to be a bit strong and bitter. However, remember that it is this slightly bitter flavor that is caused by the same constituents that are so effective for cleaning your liver and reactivating the function of your endocrine system
- 6Drink this tea every day, all day for three days.If you feel hungry fill up by drinking a big glass of water. Make sure the water that you drink is distilled water or pure spring water and not just ordinary tap water from a municipal supply that contains toxins, hormones and other possible contaminants.
- 7Be sure to scrub yourself down with a loofah or plastic puffy scrubber in the shower.This is a detoxification diet so you will feel better if you scrub your skin often to help speed up the process of eliminating toxins through the skin.
- 8Get plenty of sleep and nap during the day if necessary.You will feel fatigued anyway because you are not eating any calories to help fuel your metabolism while you are on a fast as strict as this one. Use this fasting time to regenerate your entire system.
- 9Go for a walk for about an hour every day to help oxygenate your blood and clear brain fog from detoxification.The walk can help get things moving and stimulate your circulation and assist your body with getting rid of toxins.
- 10Go for a sauna or a steam bath.Heating your body up can help it expel toxins faster and also help you feel more relaxed. Be sure to drink a great deal of water while you are in a sauna. Do not sit in a sauna if you are feeling light-headed, dizzy or weak from not eating anything.
- 11Take a bath in epsom salts.Add a cup of epsom salts to a bath filled with warm water. Soak your entire body in the bath. Epsom salts help you to detoxify and also relaxes you so that you feel less irritated and hungry and have a better sleep at night.
normal foods. Start by consuming clear soups, crackers, bananas, rice, pudding, eggs, spinach and apples and for the next few days gently incorporate what you would normally eat back into your diet.
- 1You can repeat this fast again after about six weeks.It is important to give your body a break after doing such a potent detoxification fast in order to avoid overloading your kidneys and liver. As this is a crash diet, you can also expect to gain some of this weight back.
Method 2: With the 10 Day Rambutan Fat Burning Diet
You can lose two to five pounds a week by following this weight loss plan, which is technically a crash diet. This crash diet works because it deprives you of your daily calorie needs for a period of ten days. You do not want to stay on it any longer because even though rambutan fruit does contain some protein and vitamins, it cannot nutritionally sustain your health for hundreds of days. You can stay on this calorie-restricted diet for as long as ten days without risking malnutrition. Then you must wait at least three weeks before going on it again.
This is a calorie restricted that involves replacing two regular meals a day by eating two rambutans with a very small amount of protein. Eating these two rambutans equate to being about 140 calories that provide you with a broad spectrum of nutrients. This cuts 1000 to 2000 calories a day from some people's diets, which often results in a profound weight loss on the scale and also a reduction of inches from the waistline. The fact that it is a low-protein as well as a low-fat diet kick starts the detoxification of the kidney and liver, because they are not spending as much time converting proteins in energy.
- 1Check with your doctor first to see if this calorie restricted diet is suitable for you.Some health conditions require that you take medication with full meals and the meals may not constitute that. This is also not a suitable diet for you to be on if you are vegan as it includes dairy and meat products as a source of protein. Pregnant women should never be fasting.Advertisement
- 2Buy enough rambutans, to last you a couple of days at an Asian market or gourmet food store.You will need at least thirty rambutans to complete this diet if you plan to be on it for the full ten days.
- 3For breakfast every day or ten days consume two rambutans, with either a half a cup of Greek yogurt or a ½ cup of low fat cottage cheese.The dairy products take care of your protein needs. You can also sprinkle raw unsweetened coconut flakes, almonds or walnuts top of the yogurt for a bit more protein and a dose of brain-nurturing essential fatty acids.
- 4For lunch every day for ten days eat a salad along with a two ounce shot of fresh rambutan juice.You can sweeten the juice with raw cold pressed honey and add grated ginger and a dash of lime to make it more nutritious and flavorful. The salad can be made of any vegetables and fruit that you like, but not be more than 400 calories. Recommended salad ingredients include red onions, garlic, cucumbers, tomatoes, lettuce, spinach, kale, watermelon, blueberries, tangerines, strawberries and herbs such as dill, parsley and coriander. Dress your salad with vinegar only, such as a red wine, balsamic or rice wine vinegar, and then add a bit of salt and pepper.
- 5For dinner eat four ounces of a recommended protein with two roasted or raw low carb vegetables.Allowed proteins include oysters, scallops, steak, lamb, chicken shrimp and fish. If a fish is pink or red in color it is too fatty for this diet. Recommended vegetables include zucchini, rapini, kale, squash, cauliflower, cabbage, tomato, kale, broccoli, b sprouts, tomatoes, mushrooms and asparagus. Note that you are not allowed refined starches of any kind on this diet including bread, pasta, potatoes or rice.
- 1For a snack or extra meal have cut vegetables (crudités) or a cup of bone broth.The bone broth has the minerals, B vitamins and proteins needed to balance this diet out nutritionally.
- 2Stay away from eating high calorie, starchy and fried food, while you are on this diet.This includes all breads, French fries (including sweet potato fries), mashed potatoes, sugar, colas, ice cream, cakes, donuts and gravies.
- 3Make sure that you drink at least eight eight-ounce glasses of spring or distilled water a day.Rambuton is powerful detoxifier and adequate water intake will help you flush out any toxins in your system that might be producing bloat, mucus and slowing down your metabolism. Stay away from mineral waters that have a high sodium content as sodium causes bloating and water retention.
- 4Exercise for at least one hour every day and do not attempt anything strenuous like weight lifting.A one-hour walk, bike ride or swim every day can help you relax and shed the weight.
- 5Make sure that you get at least eight hours of rest every night so that your body can repair itself.Bodies that are stressed out from a lack of sleep tend to gain weight rather than lose it. Beware of getting too fatigued and nap as often as you need to as well, because it is a tired body that starts craving snacks that are high in sodium and sugar.
- 6Try to avoid stress and emotionally charged situations that may trigger you to "eat your feelings.Extreme emotions can cause you to consume more calories than you need in order to comfort yourself or raise the serotonin levels in your brain so that you feel more emotionally stable. Sugar and fat are quick fixes for mood swings but they are also the cause of mood swings in the first place. Meditation and spending time in nature can help people deal with emotional and physical stress so that they do not succumb to self-medicating with junk food and high-glycemic starches.
- 7Ease yourself out of this diet by eating soups, fruit, crackers and vegetables on the eleventh day.If you want to keep the weight off for good, then avoid eating anything white, including pasta, potatoes, rice and bread and stick to eating protein and complex carbohydrates that are found in vegetables and fruit
- 8Wait a month before you repeat this ten-day diet.Rambutan can be very detoxifying and overload your liver and kidneys if you eat too much of it over a long period of time. Furthermore, this diet is under 1200 calories a day, which is not sustainable for long, even though it does help you lose the weight fast.
Method 3: By Substituting Meals for Rambutan Smoothies
The premise behind this diet is that you will lose the pounds if you replace two meals a day with a rambutan smoothie that is 200 calories or less. This is a daily day plan that you can repeat until you have lost all of the weight.
Like many weight loss diets, this weight loss strategy also involves minimizing your intake of starchy carbohydrates, fatty meats, potatoes, rice, bread and pasta. You are also not allowed any type of sugar or any artificial sweeteners aside from Stevia, Truvia or Zing! Note a that there are no snacks allowed on this diet. You may have coffee or tea while you are on this diet and sparkling waters.
This diet works because Rambutan is creamy, sweet and filling and also because it is a bit of a natural appetite suppressant that can hold you over until the next meal.
- 1Check with your physician before embarking on a low-calorie dieting regimen.This, like many diets, is based on calorie deprivation, and it can affect some people who are taking medication to control a chronic illness, individuals who must take medications with a full meal or people with IBS, chronic fatigue or diabetes.Advertisement
- 2Make and drink one of the rambutan smoothies on the list below and substitute it from any two meals that you may have a day.For most people this results in a calorie deficit between 1000 and 3000 calories a day and a drastic weight loss that can amount to being 3 to 5 pounds a week.
- 3Make sure that the one meal that you eat a day is less than a 1000 calories and that it contains two ounces of a healthy fat, four ounces of a lean protein and a serving of complex carbohydrates in the form of two cups of lettuce or vegetables and two fruits.Suggested proteins are fish, chicken, lamb, beef, oysters, scallops and shrimps. If you tolerate dairy well you can have cottage cheese, yogurt or a tablespoon of crumbled blue cheese. Recommended oils are coconut oil, walnut oil, olive oil and canola oil.
- 4Make sure that you drink at least eight cups of water while on this diet, as staying hydrated helps you feel well during the detoxification process and helps flush out fats and toxins.
Rambutan Smoothie Recipes Under 200 Calories
Here are the ten recipes Rambutan smoothies that are under 200 calories that you can use to replace two meals a day. You can drink a favorite smoothie again and again or use them in any order that you like. They are listed from lowest in calories to highest.
- 1Make a Rambutan, Pepper, Parsley and Lime Juice smoothie at 90 calories.You can use hot peppers for this recipe or any other type of milder pepper, but the hotter the peppers are, the more efficient this smoothie will be when it comes to stimulating your metabolism and helping you burn fat. This is a sweet and savory smoothie that is a bit like drinking a sweet salsa in a glass. Blend together the flesh of two rambutans with a cup of diced peppers, a handful of parsley, a tablespoon of lime juice, a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and a dash of liquid stevia. You can also use flavored kombucha instead of the apple cider vinegar if you wish. It tastes best if you blend it with a handful of ice cubes, but the ice cubes are optional. Peppers are very rich in Vitamin A, which supports your liver during weight loss and the parsley is a potent diuretic that helps your body flush out excess water and toxins.
- 2Make a Rambutan, Coconut Water and Matcha Green Tea smoothie at 130 calories.Matcha is a form of powdered green tea. Blend together a cup of ice, the flesh of two whole rambutans, two heaping tablespoons of matcha green tea and one cup of coconut water. Add a splash of spring water and whirl the mixture in the blender until it is pourable. Matcha tea is a potent fat burner and the coconut water provides flavor. Coconut water is naturally sweet but if you need this mixture to taste a little sweeter you can add a bit of liquid Stevia to the drink.
- 3Make a Rambutan, Mango and Mint smoothie at 150 calories.Blend together, with one cup of ice, the flesh of two rambutans, one cup of frozen mango and a handful of mint. Blend everything together until smooth and frosty and drink. Mangos are an excellent source of Vitamin A, which supports the function of the liver and mint is a diuretic that helps you eliminate bloating. You can add a frozen banana to this to make it 200 calories, if you want a richer, sweeter smoothie to tide you over until the next meal.
- 4Make a Rambutan, Watermelon and Pear Smoothie at 160 calories.Freeze one cup of coconut water by pouring it in an ice cube tray. Blend together the flesh of two whole rambutans, a cup of watermelon and the frozen coconut water ice cubes with the flesh of half of a pear. Blend it all together until smooth and frosty and garnish with a slice of lime. This is a very hydrating drink that is good for when you are feeling dehydrated and fatigued. Both the watermelon and the pear are very high in potassium and Vitamin A, which supports kidney function during detoxification and helps reduce bloating.
- 5Make a Rambutan, Apple and Cinnamon smoothie at 180 calories.Add the flesh of two fresh rambutans to one cup of ice, a half a cup of spring water, the flesh of one whole apple with the peel on and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon and whirl everything together until it is smooth in texture and drinkable. Apples are a good source of protein, fiber and contain a broad spectrum of vitamin and minerals that are good for you and also support healthy weight loss,
- 6Make a Rambutan, Lime, Ginger and Coconut Milk smoothie at 170 calories.Blend together the flesh of two rambutan fruit, a cup of coconut milk, a tablespoon of grated ginger and a teaspoon of lime juice with some ice. Blend this mixture together to make a frosty smoothie and drink. The coconut milk is a hydrating and a source of vegan protein and the grated ginger stimulates your circulation. The lime juice adds a bit of flavor and tang to the shake, as well as additional Vitamin C.
- 7Make a Rambutan, Peach and Almond Milk smoothie at 174 calories.Mix together the flesh of two rambutans, 1 cup frozen peaches, 1 cup of almond milk and ½ cup of ice. Whirl together until smooth and garnish a sprig of mint. You can add a dash of vanilla or crumble mint leaves to this to make it even more flavorful. Peaches are very high in Vitamin A, which keeps the liver in tip top shape and helps you lose weight with less side-effects. The almond milk is a source of protein and essential fatty acids, which give you energy and clear up the foggy thinking that comes with being on a low calorie diet.
- 8Make a Rambutan Pina Colada at 190 calories.Blend one cup of ice with two rambutans, 1/2 cup of coconut milk, a half cup of pineapple juice and a teaspoon of liquid stevia. The coconut milk is a source of protein and hydration and the pineapple juice contains bromelain, which soothes the intestinal tract during detoxification, helps your body digest proteins and acts as an overall anti-inflammatory agent.
- 9Make a Rambutan, Banana and Spinach Smoothie at 194 calories.Blend together one rambutans, one frozen peeled banana, a handful of spinach, a tablespoon of flaxseed oil and ½ cup of freshly squeezed orange juice. Add a cup of ice and whirl the mixture together until cool and frosty. The banana and the spinach are high in iron and potassium which helps fortify the blood and make you feel strong while you are on the fast.
- 10Make a Rambutan, Peanut Butter and Cinnamon Smoothie at 199 calories.Blend together a cup of ice, two whole rambutans, a tablespoon of organic unsweetened peanut butter and two tablespoons of almond milk in a blender and serve. This is a good smoothie to make if you are feeling low energy or a bit depressed from being on a low calorie diet or if you feel like you might break the diet because you are wanting to eat foods that are more substantial. The peanut butter that you choose to use in this must have no added sugar and salt and it is best to use organic peanut butter if it is available to you. Cinnamon is stimulating to your circulation and helps boost your metabolism, which helps you lose weight faster.
Method 4: By Adding Rambutan to Your Daily Diet
Here are additional ways to include this super fruit in your diet so that you can lose weight by either consuming the watermelon as a meal, dessert or snack replacement or by using it as a substitute for a food with a higher fat or calorie content
- 1Eat rambutan as a snack.Eat it raw or sprinkle it with citrus fruit juice and almonds to make it more of a snack. In Asia it is customary to eat rambutan sprinkled with a bit of salt.
- 2Add raw rambutan chunks to your morning porridge.Rambutan tastes especially good sprinkled with a bit of cinnamon.
- 3Make a raw rambutan slushie.Whirl together a cup of ice and two to three raw rambutans in a blender. Add a dash of liquid stevia and a splash of your favorite organic, sugar free juices. Juices that go well with rambutan juice include pomegranate, mango, grapefruit, cranberry, strawberry, papaya, orange, lemon, lime and ginger.
- 4Drink rambutan infused water.Place raw rambutans in an infusion pitcher and let the fruit soak in two quarts of icy spring water for about an hour in the refrigerator. You can also add other fruits as well such as a handful of strawberries, cherries blueberries, pomegranate seeds or strawberries. Adding any type of sliced citrus to the mixture to the brew will also make it more flavorful. Rambutan also goes well with mint, cilantro and grated ginger.
- 5Drink rambutan juice with ice or watered down with carbonated spring water as a substitute for sodas and colas that are high in calories and sugar.You can also use flavored sparkling soda waters or club soda. Adding a twist of lemon or lime also adds a bit of flavor to the drink.
- 6Drink a sugar free iced tea made with rambutan juice as often as you like.Rambutan juice goes well with most teas but especially well ginger tea, mint tea, cardamom tea, green tea, white or black tea. Simply brew four cups your favorite type of tea and add it to a pitcher full of ice cubes and then 1 cup of fresh rambutan juice. Tea in itself is a natural detoxifier diuretic and cleanser and rambutan helps boost your metabolism and burn fat in your body. Mint leaves, frozen fruit and citrus slices can also be added to this type of tea to make it more delicious. Rambutan iced tea is also enhanced by a dash of cinnamon or cloves or by immersing a whole cinnamon stick right inside of the tea.
- 7Make a rambutan, cucumber and onion salad.Slice one whole white onion, one cucumber and two rambutans and combine in a dish. Drizzle with rice vinegar and season with salt and pepper.
- 8Make a savory rambutan, pear and blue cheese salad.Add a cup of diced rambutan and juice to a bowl of arugula or watercress that is also topped with a cup of raw diced pear and sprinkled with blue cheese. This weight loss salad also tastes good with a bit of chopped red onion sprinkled on top. You can also add a sprinkling of walnuts on top to add extra protein.
- 9Make a classic tropical rambutan salad.Chop up the flesh of one mango one papaya, half of a small watermelon, two mangosteens and four rambutans and combine them together in a sold bowl. Add the juice of one orange, a tablespoon of Zing or Trivia and ¾ cup of finely minced chopped mint leaves. Combine until mixed well, chill for half an hour, mix again and serve.
- 10For a delicious snack or side dish, braise rambutan pieces with a bit of brown sugar and lemon juice and cook them on the grill for about two minutes on each side.This helps carmelize the natural sugars in the fruit and helps make a sweet, low fat treat that goes well with vanilla Greek yogurt.
- 11Make a low calorie creamy rambutan pudding.Blend the flesh of four rambutans with two tablespoons whole milk and 1 tablespoon of Truvia sweetener. Blend until thick and then chill in the refrigerator for two hours. This will make one serving.
- 12Make a traditional Vietnamese Rambutan and Almond Fruit Pudding.In a large bowl, blend together four tablespoons of Knox unflavored gelatin with two cups of hot water. Add ½ cup of non-fat dry milk powder, a tablespoon of ground almond powder, and a dash of cinnamon and ¼ cup of Truvia. Mix everything together and add a cup of seeded grapes, two sliced Kiwi fruit, tangerine segments, sliced pear and rambutan pieces. Pour into a bowl and let the mixture set overnight to make a gelatin. This rambutan diet dessert goes well with coconut whipped cream sprayed on top.Advertisement
Make a Grilled Rambutan Diet cocktail. Place raw rambutan chunks on a skewer and grill them on a hot grill. This should take about one minute per side. The fruit should be softened and a bit caramelized. Chill the fruit in the refrigerator for about an hour and then Drop the fruit in a rock glass filled with three or four ice cubes. Add an ounce of tequila, two ounces of grapefruit juice, a dash of lime juice and a teaspoon of brown sugar. Muddle all of the ingredients together and garnish with mint.
Tips and Tricks
- To cut up a rambutan, cut around the round red fibrous shell with a big knife and then separate one half of the fruit from the other and the fruit should pop right out.
- If you are suffering from hair loss because you are on a very low calorie or low fat diet, drinking rambutan tea can help restore it
- If you do not smell a strong vanilla aroma when you are shopping for rambutans then it is likely not ripe or it is possible that it has gone bad, but on the other hand, never buy a rambutan that smells fermented or like alcohol
- Raw cold pressed honey is ideal for dieters who are allowed a bit of glucose and it is more organic and less glycemic than processed or pasteurized honey and it is available at health food stores
- Always wash the entire rambutan fruit as it is an imported exotic fruit, it could have bacteria or pesticide on the skin
- Never eat the bitter red peel of the rambutan, which can cause digestive upset
- You can separate the fat from the liquid in a homemade bone broth by putting it in the refrigerator where it will chill to an easily removed solid form
- Rambutans are best stored in a paper bag the crisper bin of your refrigerator away from other fruits and vegetables because they emit a gas that causes them to ripen faster
Rambutan fruit and the tea does cause gas and stomach cramps in some people and if that is the case start off by consuming less of it before you work yourself up to a cup a day or consider going on a different type of diet. As these rambutan weight loss diets require that you make drinks with lots of ice all of the time, make sure you are always making ice ahead of time or buy bags of ice that you can stow away in the refrigerator.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Inukshuk, Donna