Lose Weight with Parsley With Parsley Tea vs Leaf Supplements vs Smoothies ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Eng
Parsley is a common kitchen herb that is widely available. This culinary staple quite low in calories but very high in nutrition and antioxidants, and the more of it that you happen to have in your diet, the more likely you are to lose weight. Part of that weight loss might be because parsley is also a powerful natural diuretic that helps the body eliminate excess water, which helps people look trimmer around the middle.
Parsley helps you lose weight because:
- Parsley contains no fat and measures in at only 22 calories per packed cup of chopped herb
- Parsley is a vegan source of protein, that can help cut hunger pangs, and keep you feeling well while you are on a diet
- It is known for being very rich in homocysteine, which is a factor that reduces the risk of additional weight gain, stroke and elevated cholesterol in people with diabetic heart disease
- It is very high rich vitamins that support the health of the entire endocrine system including vitamins A, C, B9 and K.
- One cup of chopped fresh parsley contains 133 mg of Vitamin C, which supports the health of the entire body, but especially the endocrine system that supports metabolism
- The high vitamin K level in parsley helps thin the blood, lower your cholesterol and improve your circulation, which helps your body work more efficiently
- The high iron content in parsley is beneficial for hair growth for people who are risking hair loss because them are on a diet that restricts protein and fat
- Parsley is very high in folate, which helps your body convert carbohydrates into fuel instead of at and keeps your hair healthy while you are on a low-calorie diet
- It is very high in quercetin, which helps lower cholesterol and high blood pressure
- It is high in potassium which helps keep you feeling energetic and well enough to exercise
- It is high in fiber and helps to clean waste out of the colon, which in turn, helps you achieve a flatter looking tummy
- It is a digestive aid that relieves flatulence and helps your entire system digest food more effectively, which aids nutrient absorption
- It supports that elimination of fat cells from the liver, thus aiding individuals with fatty liver disease
- Parsley contains is a potent antibacterial agent that helps to eliminate yeast and infections that might be causing cravings, inflammation and an inability to lose weight
- Parsley contains chlorophyll, which is a very potent cleanser of cells and as an added bonus, helps you
Note that both curly parsley and flat leaf parsley have almost the same nutritional profile, but curly parsley has more of a bitter taste. For this reason, people prefer to use the Italian flat leaf variety to make teas and meals.
Method 1: With Parsley Tea
Parsley tea helps you lose weight because it is high in vitamins, quercetin and potassium, all of which supports the immune system. Parsley tea is sold in health food stores in tea bag form. You can also buy it loose or you can make it with fresh parsley if you like it. To make parsley tea from a tea bag or dried leaves:
- 1There are many conditions that could be affected by drinking parsley tea. It may interfere with diabetic medication and cause your blood sugar levels to dip to low. In some individuals, parsley can cause rather than relieve water retention. Parsley tea is also not recommended for pregnant women because it is used to induce spontaneous abortion. Drinking parsley tea can also make kidney disease worse.Be sure to consult with your doctor before using parsley tea as a weight loss aid.Advertisement
To make parsley tea from fresh leaves:
- 1A cup of parsley is usually the perfect amount for this. You can use either flat leaf Italian parsley or curly parsley for this tea. Chopping the parsley finely first helps release the essential oils in the produce.Finely mince a handful of washed parsley with a very sharp knife and place the leaves in a glass teapot with an inbuilt infuser.
- 2This means that the tea may not be very hot, but it is much more important for it to be strong. You can continue the brew the fresh parsley all day and also continue adding more water to make more tea if you like.Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the parsley and let it steep for about forty minutes.
Method 2: With Parsley Leaf Supplements
Parsley Leaf supplements are sold in tablet form and as capsules. Parsley leaf is often used as a quick weight loss diet pill, ideal for those trying to get four or five pounds off so they can it into a particular dress.
- 1Parsley supplements are not suitable for those who are pregnant or who have kidney disease, because the plants contain oxalates that induce abortion. Taken in excess, the oxalates in parsley leaf can also cause kidney failure. Parsley leaf supplements may also lower blood sugar levels to a dangerous level especially if you are already on blood sugar lowering medications. In some people parsley leaf can cause bloating rather than remedy it.It is very important to consult with your doctor before taking parsley supplements.Advertisement
- 4This is to give your body a break from the detoxing and diuretic qualities of parsley and help prevent the formation of kidney stones. A good way to think of this is that you will only take the parsley supplement during the week and take a break from taking them on the weekend.You can take parsley pills for five days in a row and then take a two day break before resuming taking them again.
Method 3: With Parsley Smoothies
It is safest to drink your parsley in a smoothie as the other ingredients help pace the rate at which it detoxifies your organs and flushes water out of your body. You are advised to only have one smoothie a day and to never exceed consuming 3 cups of parsley in one day This is because consuming too much parsley at once can cause the formation of kidney stones. The recipe for each smoothie below is based on creating a 12-ounce serving. Try to use organic ingredients wherever possible to amplify the efficiency of these smoothies as diuretics and weight loss aids.
- 1Blend together a cup of parsley, a cup of frozen green grapes, the juice of one whole fresh lemon, a tablespoon of flax seeds, a cup of ice water and 1 cup of ice in a blender. Whirl this mixture together until smooth and drink. The grapes are high in Vitamin C and help fight inflammation, which keeps you lean and better able to metabolize fats. Lemon juice is deeply cleansing and helps you lose weight by keeping your body's pH level alkaline.Make a Parsley, Grape and Lemon smoothie at 70 calories.Advertisement
- 2Blend together one chopped raw beet, 3 chopped small carrots, 1 big radish, 2 organic garlic cloves and a large handful of parsley. Whirl all of the ingredients together in a blender with a cup of ice until smooth and season with iodized salt and a handful of organic parsley. Both beets and radish are excellent cleansers of the liver and the carrots add Vitamin A , which is also very supportive of liver function.Make a Parsley, Beet, Radish and Carrot smoothie at 72 calories per serving.
- 3Blend together ½ cup of fresh parsley, 1 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1 banana, 1 cup water and 1 cup ice cubes. Whirl everything together until smooth and frosty and serve. All of the ingredients in this smoothie are potent anti-inflammatories and the pineapple contains brome lain, which is an anti-inflammatory that assists with diabetes-related inflammation and weight gain.Make a Parsley, Cucumber and Pineapple Smoothie at 77 calories per serving.
- 4Blend together ½ cup of fresh parsley, 2 chopped apples, 1 banana, 1 cup of spring water and 1 cup ice cubes. Whirl everything together until smooth and frosty until smoothie and serve. The apple is a good source of protein and fiber that helps keep your metabolism in good working order during the day.Make a Parsley, Apple and Banana smoothie at 80 calories per serving.
- 5Blend together 1.2 cups of raw frozen unsweetened cranberries with ½ cup of parsley, 1 large celery stalk, 1 chopped cucumber, 1 cup of chopped pear and a handful of baby spinach. Blend everything together until it is a smooth frosty beverage. Cranberries are very high in Vitamin C and act as a diuretic, along with the pear and parsley. Cranberries also support kidney function, which helps purify the blood and keep your metabolism acting at an optimum level.Make a Cranberry, Pear and Parsley Smoothie at 85 calories a serving.
- 6Blend ¼ cup of parsley with a handful of kale, 1 small chopped beet, 1 small chopped apple, 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of grated ginger and a tablespoon of chia seeds. Fill with chilled water and blend together until smooth. Beet supplies your body with iron, which is needed for the proper functioning of your liver and also iron helps you retain your hair while you are dating. The apple in the recipe is a good source of protein and the ginger boosts your circulation and metabolism so that you lose weight more efficiently.Make a Parsley, Beet and Apple smoothie at 88 calories a serving.
- 7In a blender, crush together a half a cup of parsley, 1 cup of frozen strawberries, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup o spring water and a teaspoon of ground flax seeds and blend until smooth. Like parsley, strawberries are very high in Vitamin C and the banana adds fiber to the smoothie to help cleanse your digestive system. The flax seeds add a bit of protein and essential fatty acids, which help support endocrine system and brain health.Make a Parsley, Strawberry and Banana smoothie at 90 calories per serving.
- 8Blend together ½ cup of chopped parsley, the flesh of two ripe mangos, 1 frozen banana, a cup of ice and a cup of spring water in a blender and whirl everything together until smooth. Mango is in an excellent source of Vitamin A and along with the parsley, mango helps kill bacteria and yeast in the gut that may be related to bloating and weight gain.Make a Parsley, Mango and Banana smoothie at 95 calories.
- 9Combine 1 cup coconut water, a handful of packed dinosaur (black) Kale, ½ cup of parsley, 1 green apple, a teaspoon of grated ginger and 1 tablespoon of wild blue green algae. Whirl this all together with a cup of ice. Note that you can get wild blue green algae in liquid or powder form If you are adding the powder, you can use up to two tablespoons of it in this potent weight loss smoothie.Make a Parsley, Kale an Blue Green Algae Smoothie.
- 10Blend together half a cup of chopped parsley, ½ of medium avocado, the flesh of an entire pear, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup water and 1 cup of ice and whirl it all together until smooth. Pears are high in Vitamin A and C and fiber, which supports the function of the endocrine glands and the liver. The avocado is a source of essential fatty acids, which helps your pituitary glands function at optimum levels, producing the hormones needed for fast weight loss.Make a Parsley, Pear and Avocado smoothie at 110 calories per serving.
- 11Add one cup of ice to a blender container and then add 1 chopped medium pepper, ¼ cup chopped cucumber, ¼ cup chopped red pepper, ½ medium avocado, a tablespoon of chopped red onions, ¼ cup of chopped parsley and a dash of salt and pepper. You can also season this with a teaspoon of dill pickle juice, a dash of chili flakes or a dash of hot sauce. Whirl everything together until smooth. Every ingredient in this vegetable smoothie is rich in antioxidants and high in Vitamin C, thus supporting your weight loss efforts. The avocado adds a bit of healthy fat to your smoothie to support brain function and it also elevate your mood while you are on a low calorie diet.Make a Spicy Parsley Gazpacho at 112 calories per serving.
- 12Blend together two chopped stocks of celery, 1 cup of parsley, 1 small sliced cucumber, 1 cup of blueberries and two ounces of filtered water. Blend until smooth and creamy. Blueberries are very rich in antioxidants and contain a high amount of Vitamin C, which helps your endocrine function the very best it can.Make a Parsley, Blueberry and Cucumber Smoothie at 115 calories per serving.
- 13Blend together 1 cup frozen cherries, ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons of ginger, 1 tablespoon of flax seeds, 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and 1 cup of ice in a blender and blend until frothy and pourable. Cherries are a good source of iron, which supports the health of your liver, so it can better detoxify itself. The ginger also stimulates your circulation, which in turn enables your metabolism to work more efficiently so that you can lose weight.Make a Parsley, Cherry and Ginger Smoothie at 118 calories.
- 14Blend together one cup each of chopped kale, celery and parsley. Add the juice of one lemon, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of ice and ½ cup of apple juice. Whirl it all together until smooth. This smoothie is a potent diuretic as all of the ingredients can help you shed water weight and make your abdomen look flatter.Make a Parsley, Kale and Celery Smoothie at 120 calories.
- 15In a blender filled with 1 cup ice, add two large romaine lettuce leaves, half of a cup of chopped green apple, ½ of an avocado, ½ cup of chopped jicama, 1 small cucumber, 1 medjool date and 1 cup of chopped parsley. Add a splash of water and blend all of the ingredients together until you have a pourable, smooth beverage. This smoothie is very high in Vitamin C and contains a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals that help ensure your metabolic health. The jicama is very high in Vitamin C and helps your endocrine system and thyroid fight the inflammation that causes weight gain.Make a Parsley, Green Apple and Jicama smoothie at 155 calories.
- 16Blend together, with a cup of ice, 1 cup of fresh parsley, 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt, ½ cup of apple juice, ½ cup of carrot juice, a teaspoon of honey and the juice of one whole lemon. The yogurt adds protein to the smoothie and helps you stave off hunger pangs. Both the carrot juice and apple juice are high in Vitamin A, which help support the health of the liver.Make a Parsley, Lemon and Yogurt smoothie at 160 calories per serving.
- 17Blend together 1 cup o chopped kale leaves, 1 cup frozen mango, 1 chopped celery rib, 1 cup of tangerine segments, ¼ cup of flat leaf parsley and ¼ cup of fresh mint. Add one cup of ice and whirl together until smooth. Every ingredient in this smoothie is a diuretic that is also very rich in Vitamins A and C and minerals, supporting the thyroid, which in turn supports weight loss.Make a Parsley, Tangerine, Mango and Kale smoothie at 180 calories.
- 18Blend together a half a cup of ice cubes, a ½ cup frozen mango chunks, a ½ cup raspberries, 1/3 cup of yogurt, ½ cup of chopped parsley and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin seeds. Whirl together until smooth. This smoothie is exceptionally high in Vitamin C, helping reduce inflammation in the body and promoting the efficiency of your metabolism. The pumpkin seeds contain fatty acids that support the health of the thyroid and the brain, which keeps you in a great mood even if you are on a very low calorie diet.Make a Parsley, Raspberry, Mango and Grapefruit Smoothie at 190 calories.
- 19Blend one cup of ice with 1 cup papaya, 1 cup of plain unflavored kefir, ½ cup of parsley, the juice of one lime and 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Whirl everything together in a blender until it the mixture is frosty and smooth enough to drink. Kefir is a fermented adds probiotics to the mix, which helps your gut digest your foods properly so that you are able to lose weight more efficiently. Papaya has both digestive and anti-inflammatory enzymes that assist with any joint pain that might be preventing you from exercising to your fullest capability. The medjool date in this smoothie adds a bit of protein and also helps stimulate your bowels to be on the move so that you are eliminating waste properly. You can augment the flavor of this smoothie even further by using a flavored mango or strawberry flavored Greek yogurt.Make a Parsley, Papaya and Kefir smoothie at 195 calories a serving.
- 20Mix together 1 cup of coconut kefir, 1 cup parsley, 1 chopped cucumber, 1 small chopped apple, 1 lime, a handful of mint, a handful of ice and 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Blend all of these ingredients together to make a glossy, smooth drink. This is a green drink that is full of minerals, to help your thyroid metabolize carbohydrates and tighten loose skin after weight loss. The coconut oil in this recipe is full of essential fatty acids that keep your endocrine system and your brain in excellent health, which is necessary for you to lose weight. This is a good smoothie to drink if you are feeling tired from being on a low-calorie dishes.Make a Parsley, Coconut Oil and Mint smoothie.
- 21Muddle together1/4 cup of minced parsley, 1 ½ ounces of gin, ¾ ounce of fresh lime juice, ¾ ounce of simple syrup with a couple of ice cubes in a cocktail shaker. Shake this mixture well and pour over ice in a tall glass and garnish with a lime slice. You can also give it a bit of a minty flavor by adding a few crushed leaves to the mix, which will have the cocktail tasting more like the classic Mint Julep.Make a Parsley Julep cocktail.
Method 4: By Adding More Parsley to Your Diet
Adding parsley to your diet every day is a great way to take advantage of the natural fibers in the plant. It is also the safest way to eat it. Most people can eat five cups of parsley a day with no ill effects, but to stay in the safe zone, consume more than 3 cups a day
- 1Parsley goes with almost everything and it is easy to benefit from it's histamine lowering properties, simply by doing this every day.Add chopped parsley to all of your savory dishes including salads, soups, sauces and main dishes.
- 2This is a garnish made from equal parts of chopped raw garlic, chopped parsley and lemon zest. Sprinkle the gremolata over braised or roasted meats, seafood or vegetables while they are cooking. Garlic is a potent anti-inflammatory and immune booster that assists with the health of your digestive system and endocrine system.Make a traditional Italian gremolata.
- 3Combine 1 cup each of basil, parsley, pine nuts, grated parmesan and olive oil and blend until smooth. Serve over pasta or steamed vegetables or spice up a tomato soup with it. The basil and pine nuts in this recipe are anti-inflammatories that help keep your arteries, joints and endocrine system in good shape. To make a pesto pasta dish with no calories, use glucomannan pasta for the base, which is a pasta made from the konjac plant that has 0 calories per serving.Add chopped parsley to pesto sauce.
- 4Combine 1 cup each of chopped parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, parmesan cheese and cashew nuts. To make a pesto pasta dish with no calories, use glucomannan pasta for the base, which has 0 calories per serving. The cashews supply the recipe with protein and essential fatty acids which boosts your mood and helps support the health of your thyroid and pancreas.Make a parsley, cashew and sun-dried tomato sauce.
- 5Heat two cups of milk, ½ cup of chopped parsley, 1 chopped onion, a dash of mace, 1 Bay leaf, 2 ounces of butter and a tablespoon of flour in a saucepan Season with ten whole peppercorns and keeping stirring the mixture over low heat until it thickens and you have created a creamy sauce. Traditionally this sauce, which is very healthy for you because mace and onion are fat-burning foods is served over any type of fish or mashed potatoes. It goes well with fattier fishes such as cod and salmon. It could be served over any type of vegetable and would be especially good served over cauliflower rice or cauliflower mashed potatoes. It could even be served over glucomannan pasta.Make a traditional English parsley sauce to pour over meat, fish or vegetables.
- 6Combine two tablespoons of tahini with the juice of 1 lemon, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, ¼ cup of hot water and ¼ cup of chopped parsley in a sauce pan. Cook over low heat and stir constantly for about eight minutes until the mixture has a sauce-like consistency. This sauce, which is rich in vegan protein and essential fatty acids, is suited to those who can't consume sauces made with dairy products.Make a Parsley, Tahini and garlic sauce to pour over roasted or steamed vegetables.
- 7Combine 1 cup chopped shallots, 1 cup chopped parsley, 5 chopped garlic cloves, 1 cup of olive oil and one cup of chopped thin red pepper in a large shallow baking dish. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Roast the ingredients at 250 degrees Fahrenheit for forty minutes, stirring with a large spoon occasionally until the ingredients have degraded into a sauce. You can serve this sauce chunky style or put it in a blender and whirl it until it is smooth.Make a Parsley, Shallot and Lime sauce to pour over vegetables and meat.
- 8Blend until smooth and use as a sauce. Capers are very rich in phytonutrients, anti-oxidants and Vitamin C, which are all essential factors for weight loss. Capers also reduce high cholesterol in obese people.Make a Parsley, Caper sauce to pour over meat, fish or vegetables Combine two tablespoons of olive oil with the juice of 1 lemon, 2 tablespoons of white wine, ¼ cup of chicken or vegetable stock, 2 tablespoons of capers, 2 tablespoons of butter and a cup of parsley leaves.
- 9Combine one cup chopped parsley with one cup of bulgur wheat, chopped mint leaves, lemon juice and organic olive oil to make a dish. This is not a dish that is recommended for you if you have a wheat allergy or IBS or if you are diabetic and not allowed starches.Make the class Eastern parsley dish Tabouleh.
- 10Combine ¼ cup each of minced cilantro, mint, parsley, garlic, scallions, red Serrano hot chilies and white onion. Add a cup of chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers and red bell pepper. Season with the zest of 3 lemons, 1 teaspoon o ground cinnamon, salt and pepper. Blend all of the ingredients together with a spoon and serve. Everything in this salad is very rich in antioxidants and the chili peppers and cinnamon powder boost the circulation so that it is easier for your body to metabolize fats.Make a classic Israeli Chopped Salad.
- 11In a six quart pot combine four cups of fresh parsley, three tablespoons of unsalted butter, two cloves of chopped garlic, 1 chopped yellow onion, 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 1 cup of heavy cream or coconut milk, the juice of one lemon and one tablespoon freshly ground horseradish. Simmer all of the ingredients for about one hour until cooked and then puree it all in a blender until smooth. Although this dish is higher in fat it is still very healthy because of the generous amounts of parsley, garlic horseradish in it, all of which are very rich in chromium. Chromium helps fight insulin resistance and weight gain. Eating only this soup with a low-fat cracker makes a wholesome lunch and helps cut cravings for fattier meals and snacks during the day.Make a cream of parsley soup.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Parsley can last a long time if stored in a glass of water, whether stored in or out of the refrigerator
- Buy organic parsley whenever possible to help avoid ingesting pesticides
- Locally grown parsley tends to be the freshest as it does not have to travel over long distances in trucks, so buy that if it is available
- If you want your parsley smoothie to look less green in color, then use the stems and not the leaves, so that you still get the flavor, but not the brownish coloring it can add to drinks
- Keep fresh parsley in a plastic bag in the refrigerator in a plastic bat
- Wilted parsley can be regenerated by sprinkling a bit of water on it, but avoid eating parsley that is wilted and completely brown
- Curly parsley can be frozen as is and used for months
- You can freeze flat leaf Italian parsley by grinding it up into a paste, adding a bit of water and freezing it in ice cube trays
- Do not take Aspirin if you are taking parsley supplements as that can cause unpleasant interactions
- Be aware that the high amounts of Vitamin K in parsley is a natural blood thinner that can interfere with the effects of blood thinning drugs.
- Some people experience a skin rash when eating large amounts of parsley, but this is very rare
- Parsley should be avoided as a food and the supplements and tea should not be consumed at two weeks before surgery, as it can causes blood sugar levels to sink to dangerously low levels
- Eating too much parsley on a regular basis could cause kidney stones
- Parsley contains myristicin, which is a hallucinogenic and if you consume more than fifteen cups of parsley you risk loss of balance and giddiness
- When shopping or capers choose those with the lowest sodium level as they are packed in sodium chloride, which can be less than ideal for those on diets supporting kidney or liver health
- Glucomannan noodles are also sometimes sold as yam noodles or called Miracle noodles
Questions and Answers
Can lose weight by using parsley. what should I do to lose weight fast?
Am over weight , I have tried to lose weight but in vein, I weigh 150 kg, and am only 40 years
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight with Parsley. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Jun 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Parsley
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight with Parsley." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Parsley Accessed 24 Jun 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight with Parsley." Accessed Jun 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Parsley.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna