Lose Weight with PCOS By Restricting Your Calorie Intake vs Taking Vitamin, Minerals and Supplements vs Making Specific Changes to Your Daily Diet ... and 4 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma, Jay and 1 other
PCOS stands for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, which causes insulin resistance, bloating and weight gain. The condition makes it difficult for women to lose weight because:
- The syndrome interferes with the beta cells responsible for detecting sugar in the blood stream and this provokes these cells to produce more insulin than needed, thus storing glucose as fat
- Women with PCOS produce more testosterone than normal, which makes the disposition towards packing fat on the abdomen even worse
- Women with PCOS have a slower basal metabolic rate, which means that they need to eat 500 fewer calories every day, on average, to not gain weight
- Women with PCOS tend to feel hungrier than those without because hormones called ghrelin, cholecystokinin in and leptin interfere with the signals that normally inform someone that they are satiated
Method 1: By Restricting Your Calorie Intake
In order to lose weight with PCOS, it is crucial to restrict your caloric intake by at least 500 calories a day. In order to accomplish that aim for eating 1200-1500 calories and on days that you feel particularly hungry you can, stretch it to 1800. Here are some suggestions as to how to lower your daily caloric intake.
- 1Depending on your personal situation, your doctor may recommend another calorie amount for you to consume per day that might be more or less than the 500-calorie reduction suggested here.Consult with your doctor to see if it is safe for you to restrict your calorie intake to 1500 calories a day.Advertisement
- 2A good program is [MyFitnessPal.com], which is designed like a diary with goal-setting tools. This fitness site also contains a massive database that tells you the calorie and nutritional value of thousands of commonly eaten foods. This can help you make sure that you expending that extra 500 calories a day that you need to, either through exercise or eating less, to help keep the PCOS symptoms of weight gain and insulin resistance at bay.Enroll in a free online program that allows you to count how many calories you consume a day so you can keep track of your progress.Advertisement
- 3These are foods that take more calories just to metabolize than are actually in the food. Negative calorie foods are high in fiber and water content and include apples, bananas, black beans, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, celery, grapefruit, kidney beans, lentils, lettuce, oatmeal, oranges, peas, pineapple, and spinach.Eat negative calorie foods to help your body stay in the minus 500-calorie zone every day.
Method 2: By Taking Vitamin, Minerals and Supplements
PCOS is a condition that improves with therapeutic doses of vitamins, minerals, and supplements. To manage the weight gain and expanding waistband that is associated with PCOS, try the following measures.
- 1Inositol is a form of glucose that helps the body accept insulin, rather than react to it and it also assists with cellular detoxification, which in turn helps with weight loss. It also decreases anxiety and prevents blood sugar spikes as the result of the adrenal glands producing too much cortisol, which in turn can produce belly fat.As both folic acid and inositol are old in quite low doses, you can expect to take eight to ten capsules away. A recommended supplement is Jarrow Formulas InositolTake 3000 mg of inositol per day with 400 mcg of Folic acid to boost your metabolism, support liver and brain function and reduce your cravings for carbohydrates.Advertisement
- 2Women with PCOS need extra doses of this water -soluble healing vitamin to help their bodies deal with the extra inflammation that is caused by the condition. How much Vitamin C that you can take a day can be determined by how much you can take up to the point at which you get diarrhea minus 200 grams. For instance, if 2000 grams of Vitamin C a day causes you to have loose and watery stools then your optimum dose might be 1800 grams a day.Be sure to take at least 1000 mg of Vitamin C a day and ideally 5000 mg if your system tolerates it.
- 4Chromium is lacking in the average North American diet and the lack of this mineral in the diet of a PCOS sufferer can make the condition much worse and trigger insulin resistance and weight gain.Take 200 mcg of chromium a day to help regulate your blood sugar levels.
- 1This is an antioxidant and amino acid that is used to increase glutathione levels in the body. Glutathione is a substance that helps protect insulin receptors and improve insulin. Aside from bloating and weight, this supplement also helps remove environmental pollutants from the body as well as reduce cholesterol and inflammation in the arteries. It also reduces the facial hair growth associated with the disease.Take 400 grams of N-Acetyl Cysteine acid, also known as NAC three times a day with meals.
Method 3: By Making Specific Changes to Your Daily Diet
Consuming foods and drinks that supportive of the condition of PCOS can help prevent weight gain and bloating. Here are some ways to make specific changes to your diet to help deal with the insulin resistance, fatigue, and hunger associated with it.
- 2This means avoiding foods that are sugary and refined in nature such as pasta, white bread, white rice, potato's, soda and juice. To avoid blood sugar spikes, eat foods that are plant based and low in carbohydrates such as whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.Eat a diet that is very low in carbohydrates and high in fiber to keep your insulin levels down so that you do not gain weight.
- 3The fats found in nuts, peanut butter, eggs, fish, chicken, and meat help your body metabolize proteins and prevent the sugars in carbohydrates from causing an insulin reaction. Avoid foods that are unhealthy fats such as butter, margarine, mayonnaise and creamy sauces and dressings.Be sure to eat a diet that contains healthy fats.
- 4This means eliminating all sugary drinks such as colas or juice, cookies, cakes and candies and highly refined cereals and cereal bars. It also means drinking your tea or coffee without sugar, or if you like substituting stevia or Truvia for the sugar you would normally put in a food.Eliminate all sugar from diet and try not to eat foods that have more than 12mg of sugar unless it is fresh fruit.
- 5Sweeteners to avoid are Neotame, Aspartame (Equal, Nutrasweet) Acesulfame potassium (Sunett, Sweet One), Saccharin (SugarTwin, Sweet'Now), Sucralose (Splenda) and Advantame. Artificial sweeteners are not classified as food, but as additives and they may cause bloating and weight gain, even if they are sugar-free because they cause inflammation in the body and interfere with the metabolism.Eliminate all artificial sweeteners from your diet and substitute Stevia, Truvia, Xylitol, Mannitol, Sorbitol, Honey, Maple syrup or molasses instead.
- 6Women with PCOS are very prone to water retention and bloating and eating foods that have too much sodium makes the situation much worse. The recommendation is to stop salting your food altogether so that most of your sodium intake is from natural sources only. Avoid using salt substitutes as most of them contain one form of sodium or another. It is also crucial to read the labels of any foods that you buy to make sure that they do not contain a large amount of sodium. Any ingredient with the word sodium or NA on the box is likely to contain sodium. Sodium might also be labeled as baking soda, baking powder, monosodium glutamate (Message), disodium phosphate or salt.Drastically lower your sodium intake to 1600 milligrams a day and if you are eating more than 2300 mg a day you are eating too much.
- 8It is especially important for women with PCOS to flush sodium out of their bodies by eating more potassium rich foods. Foods high in potassium include bananas, potatoes, squash, spinach, beans, lentils, raisins, and cantaloupe.Eat more potassium-rich foods to help your body eliminate sodium.
- 9Inositol helps the body lose weight by decreasing insulin resistance, lowering blood sugar, alleviating anxiety, detoxifying cells, reducing body fat and relieving insomnia. The best sources of inositol are beef heart, beef liver, chicken livers, wheat germ, brown rice, whole grain bread and foods made with soy. Vegan sources are found, nuts, molasses, cantaloupe and citrus fruits. Including at least one of these foods with each of your three meals, a day helps boost your daily intake of inositol.Eating foods that are a natural source of inositol at each meal.
- 10The most diet-friendly sources are leafy green vegetables such as spinach, kale and dandelion, citrus fruits and beans. Sources that have more calories and therefore could cause weight gain are bread, cereals, rice, and pasta. The carb-heavy foods should be eaten only occasionally or even avoided entirely if you are obese.Eat at least three foods a day that are a source of folic acid.
- 11Foods that are rich in chromium include cacao, brewer's yeast, broccoli, eggs, and grass-fed beef, mussels, oysters, Brazil nuts, pears, grapes, garlic, and basil. Foods that are low in fat and that also contain chromium, but in trace, amounts are prunes, herring, asparagus, barley, mushrooms, molasses, and dates.Eat at least three foods a day that are rich in the mineral chromium.
- 12Avoid all sweetened products such as canned fruit in heavy syrup or sweetened applesauce. To avoid any glycemic impact from drinking fresh juice you can serve it over ice or take a teaspoon of flax seed or two PGX capsules before drinking the juice. This will have the effect of blocking the carbohydrates in the fresh fruit juice and keeping your blood sugar lower while at the same time offering you the benefits of a high Vitamin C intake.Eat fresh or frozen fruit and drink freshly squeezed juice.
Method 4: By Drinking Teas, Elixirs and Waters
There are some special beverages; elixirs and teas, as well as dietary habits that can help women with PCOS, fight the insulin resistance and weight gain that is part of having the condition.
- 1The apple cider vinegar will help lower your blood sugar response to eating any starches or carbs and help to put off any weight gain. You can also provoke a diuretic response by drinking apple cider vinegar with water first thing in the morning.Drink a tablespoon of pure unfiltered apple cider vinegar mixed with six ounces of sparkling or distilled water and consume it with every meal.
- 2It is important for you to choose waters that contain no sodium, sugars, artificial sweeteners or additives. Carbonated waters with infused natural fruit flavors are the best choice if you desire a break from drinking plain water all of the time.Substitute colas and other drinks that are high in sodium and sugar with flavored, carbonated bottled water.
- 3Make sure the tea is lightly sweetened with a bit of honey or Truvia and do not add milk or sugar. All teas are powerful diuretics that can help flush your system of water. Have as much tea as you want either hot, or you can drink it served over ice. Teas can also be paired with lemon or herbs such as lemongrass, thyme or mint.Drink as much unsweetened green, black, white or orange tea, as you want all day.
- 4Add a heaping teaspoon of freshly found cinnamon, a teaspoon of freshly grated ginger, a tablespoon of raw organic honey and two tablespoons of lemon juice to a cup. Pour six to eight ounces of hot pure water over the honey and spices and mix it well. Let it cool down a bit and drink. The spices stimulate your metabolism and circulation, helping you to lose weight. The honey and cinnamon are rich in chromium, which helps you to regulate your blood sugar levels.Make a Hot Ginger, Cinnamon, Honey and Lemon drink and consume it twice a day.
- 5Both ingredients are very rich in chromium and work together to combat insulin resistance and weight gain. You can serve it on ice with mint, a diuretic herb, to a low-calorie treat. You can also blend it with a cup of ice to make it more of a frosty.Make a Half and Half Grapefruit and Green tea metabolism boosting drink Mix one part of green tea with one part green tea and add a bit of honey or stevia to sweeten it.
- 6Blend together a cup of frozen cherries, a couple of ice cubes, two tablespoons of fresh lime juice and a teaspoon of honey or Truvia and process until smooth and frosty. This drink is very high in Vitamin C, natural fiber and also chromium, which can help regulate your blood sugar levels.Make a cherry and lime frozen drink.
- 7In a glass full of ice, muddle together eight ounces of Clamato juice with a bit of Tabasco sauce, salt, and pepper. The tomato in this juice are rich in vitamins and antioxidants that support weight loss and the clam juice in Clamato juice contains a great deal of chromium, which helps keep your blood sugar levels down. If you want to boost your metabolism, even more, add a bit of grated horseradish to the mixture.Get in the habit of drinking Virgin Bloody Caesars.
- 8Blend together two cups of coconut water with one tablespoon of finely ground cacao powder and a teaspoon each of turmeric and cinnamon. Add a dash or organic vanilla, a sprinkle of cayenne and a sprinkle of iodized seas salt and blend it all together with a cup of ice. This drink is below sixty calories and is very high in potassium and chromium, which helps your body fight insulin resistance. The spices in the drink fight inflammation and give your metabolism a boost.Drink a dairy-free raw cacao PCOS weight loss drink.
- 9Mix six ounce of hot low-fat milk with a slim tablespoon of turmeric powder, a quarter teaspoon of ground ginger, a quarter teaspoon of ground cinnamon and a pinch of stevia and nutmeg. This is a potent detoxifying drink that reduces inflammation all over the body. It stimulates the circulation, regulates blood sugar and also relieves insomnia, important because PCOS sufferers often need extra sleep to manage their condition.Drink a glass of Turmeric Golden Milk every night before you go to bed.
Method 5: By Drinking PCOS Support Smoothies
The best smoothies for weight are those that are high protein and low in carbohydrates. They should also contain the nutrients that specifically nourish the PCOS sufferer such as healthy fats, potassium, inositol, folic acid, and chromium. Substituting one of these low-calorie smoothies for one or two daily meals can help a person with PCOS keep their calorie intake at a minimum.
All of the smoothie calorie counts below are based on a 10-ounce smoothie serving.
- 1Blend together the segments of one whole great fruit; one whole unpeeled chopped apple, a cup of chopped celery and a ¼ cup of lime juice in a blender. Whirl it together and taste it. If it needs to be sweeter, you can add honey or a teaspoon of Truvia. All of the ingredients in this low-fat smoothie are very high in chromium. The apple and celery in this smoothie provide soluble fiber, which helps clean the intestines of debris and reduce bloat and fat, especially around the abdomen.Make a Grapefruit, Apple, Celery and Lime smoothie at 90 calories per serving.
- 2Add salt and pepper to taste. This tomato and kale in this drink are great sources of chromium and vitamin C, which helps beat back bloat and inflammation. The avocado is rich in healthy fats that help prevent any carbohydrates that you consume from being converted immediately into sugar.Make a Tomato, Kale and Avocado green smoothie at 100 calories per serving Whirl together a cup of ice, one whole tomato, a handful of kale and the flesh of one whole avocado in a blender.
- 3Blend together three tablespoons of raw cacao powder, eight ounces of almond or coconut milk, one cups of packed spinach, a cup of frozen mango and a teaspoon of honey or stevia. Whirl it together with a handful of ice and serve. This smoothie is very rich in chromium and fatty acids that help fight insulin resistance and keep you slim. The Mango and Spinach supply a broad spectrum of vitamins, potassium, and chromium, all allies in the fight against weight gain for PCOS sufferers.Make a Raw Cacao, Mango and Spinach smoothie per serving.
- 4Blend together a handful of ice with two cups of cantaloupe chunks with a cup of low-fat milk. Blend until smooth and garnish with mint and a sprinkle of cinnamon. This smoothie is very high in potassium, which helps your body eliminate the sodium that promotes weight gain. The cantaloupe and milk are also high in chromium, which helps fight insulin resistance. The high Vitamin A content in this smoothie supports the health of the liver and pancreas.Make a Cantaloupe, Banana and Low-Fat Milk smoothie at 120 calories per serving.
- 5This is a very spicy smoothie that will reduce inflammation and boost your metabolism. Whirl together one large chopped tomatoes, 1 large chopped radish, two large garlic cloves, a handful of parsley and a handful of ice. Process until smooth and season with salt and pepper. The radish stimulates your metabolism and the parsley is a powerful diuretic. The garlic is a great source of chromium, which helps flush toxins from your system and keep blood sugar levels level.Make a Tomato, Radish, Garlic and Parsley smoothie at 135 calories.
- 6In a blender, crush together a cup of frozen mango, a cup of frozen banana and a cup of coconut milk and whirl it all together until frosty and smooth. Mangoes contain all of the vitamins needed to support a healthy metabolism and they are also very high fiber, which helps block carbohydrates. All of the ingredients are very high in potassium, which prevents blood sugar spikes and weight gain.Make a Mango, Banana and Coconut Milk smoothie at 140 calories per serving.
- 7Mix together a cup of ice with a cup of frozen or raw pineapple and a cup of coconut milk. Add a teaspoon of toasted coconut flakes, a teaspoon of stevia and a dash of vanilla or rum flavoring. This smoothie is rich in Vitamin A and C, which promotes the health of the liver and the coconut milk contains essential fatty acids necessary for the proper functioning of the endocrine system.Make a Pineapple and Coconut Pina Colada at 160 calories per serving.
- 8Blend together a half a cup of raw cacao powder, a heaping tablespoon of Truvia or a teaspoon of honey, a cup of frozen sweet or sour cherries, one small frozen banana and a cup of ice. Whirl it all together until it is smooth and frosty. This weight loss beverage is PCOS friendly because the cacao and bananas are high in potassium and chromium, helping to regulate out-of-control blood sugar levels. Cherries are a great source of Vitamin C, chromium and iron, which helps fight inflammation and support liver health.Make a Raw Cacao, Cherry and Banana smoothie at 190 calories per serving.
- 9Add 1 cup milk, ½ cup of oats, 1 small frozen banana, 1 tablespoon of molasses, ½ teaspoon of ground ginger, ½ teaspoon of ground ginger and a dash of pure organic vanilla extract and a pinch of ground cloves. Process everything together until smooth. This smoothie is high in protein, iron, potassium and B vitamins and the spices stimulate the circulation and encourage weight loss.Make a Molasses, Banana and Ginger smoothie at 250 calories per serving.
- 10In a blender, combine a cup of raw unpeeled apples, 1 cup of almond milk, a large frozen banana, a pitted Medjool date, a dash of vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon. Blend everything together with ice until smooth. This smoothie, which is suitable for breakfast or dessert is filling, filled with fiber and contains almost every vitamin. It also contains a polyphenol that helps fight insulin resistance. The high potassium content of this smoothie helps the person with PCOS eliminate sodium.Make an Apple Pie Smoothie at 280 calories per serving.
Method 6: By Adding Foods That Support PCOS Weight Loss To Your Diet
Increasing the consumption of certain foods or getting in the habit of eating some foods every day can help people with PCOS you fight insulin resistance and weight gain.
- 1Molasses is rich in iron, potassium, and chromium, making it a super food for people with PCOS. Drizzle molasses on your oatmeal instead of any other sweetener and stir it into hot drinks.Use Molasses as a sweetener whenever possible.
- 2Garlic is an inflammation-fighter that is very high in chromium that can help the person with PCOS stays slim.Add as many cloves of chopped garlic to almost everything you make, including soups, stews, salads, dressings, tomato-based drinks, stir-fries, and marinades.
- 3There are few fruits higher in chromium than an apple and apples also contain a broad spectrum of B vitamins, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, C and all of the minerals, except for salt. An apple is also about 80 calories per medium sized fruit and completely fat-free, making it a filling weight-loss food. Apples also contain polyphenols that encourage the pancreas to produce insulin so that calories are turned into fuel and not fatEat one to three apples every day.
- 4Grapefruit is one of the richest fruit sources of chromium, which helps regulate your blood sugar. It is also very high in Vitamins A, C, and E, which helps facilitate cell repair and the healthy function of the organs of the endocrine system such as the thyroid and the pancreas. Grapefruits are juicy a delicious when sprinkled with honey or brown sugar and broiled.Have half of grapefruit every day.
- 5Both are high in chromium, stimulate circulation and encourage the metabolism to turn carbohydrates into fuel instead of fat. Ginger and cinnamon go well in soups, stews, smoothies, iced teas, warm teas, rice dishes, dressings and also in both meat-based and vegan dishes.Add ginger and cinnamon to hot beverages, soups, and stews.
- 6The cacao is full of antioxidants that can help your body improve the way it reacts to insulin and the fact that it is filling and tasting can help you resist cravings for higher calorie sweet treats throughout the day.Eat 100 grams of high-quality chocolate that is at least 70% cacao a day.
- 7Cherries are very high in chromium and can help reduce fat lipids in the blood. They are also very high in potassium, which helps your body lose the sodium that causes weight gain and bloating. Eating this many cherries every day is not recommended if you have irritable bowel syndrome as the high Vitamin C and fiber content does cause diarrhea to occur in some people.Eat at least twenty raw cherries every day, if possible.
- 8Fresh pineapple is fat-free and contains bromelain, an enzyme that finishes muscle and joint pain. They are also very high in potassium, which helps reduce excess sodium in the blood, lowering inflammation, joint pain, and high insulin levels.Eat a half of a cup to a cup of fresh pineapple every day whenever possible.
- 9Kiwi is a filling food that acts as a natural appetite suppressant and this also very high in Vitamin C and K, all of the B vitamins and several minerals including potassium, iron, and folate. It is a very low-glycemic food that can help regulate blood sugar and the fact that it also prevents respiratory disorders makes it a very nutritionally supportive food for PCOS sufferers with edema in their lungs.Eat a kiwi or two every day when possible.
- 10Mangos are high in potassium and very rich in Vitamin A, C and all of the B vitamins. This helps keep your endocrine system in good working order. Mangoes also contain probiotics that help promote friendly bacteria in your gut, which in turn helps to detoxify the bowels and prevent gas and bloating.Eat a cup of raw mango chunks or slices whenever possible.
- 11In a frying pan sauté filled with two tablespoons of olive oil, toss together two cups of shelled English peas, two tablespoons of water, a pinch of salt and a handful of shredded mint leaves. Cook until the peas are tender and then add a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Peas are a food that is very high in chromium and eating them on a regular basis can help regulate metabolism and blood sugar.Make a Fresh Peas With Mint Salad.
- 12This is a good way to take advantage of the blood-sugar-lowering abilities of legumes as well as the anti-inflammatory actions of the garlic, onions, and spices. Celery is also very high in chromium and minerals that support the endocrine system.Eat a very spicy chili made with very lean grass-fed beef, red kidney beans, carrots, celery, black beans, lentils, garlic and onions every week.
Method 7: By Making Lifestyle Changes
Women with PCOS who keep gaining weight as a result of the condition can't lead a sedentary lifestyle and they must be more conscientious than others when it comes to self-care. They must find the strength, determination and time every day to exercise, or the condition, which is progressive, will get worse and obesity will be the result. Here are some basic lifestyle changes that are recommended for PCOS sufferers who need to ward off weight gain, bloating and insulin resistance.
- 1Aerobic exercise in fresh air is very important for women with PCOS because there is always that need to burn off that extra 500 calories that refuses to burn off naturally anymore because of the condition. Even if you are morbidly obese and walking very slowly as the result of having PCOS it is important you fit this regimen into your life ever day to fight the insulin resistance that is packing the pounds on your body.Take a walk, swim or run every day for at least one hour every day.
- 2This is important, as it is very easy for an individual with PCOS to lose all muscle tone and pile on fat instead. Light muscle building, as is typical of lifting free weights is recommended for between twenty to thirty minutes per exercise session to encourage your system to build muscle so that your body is burning fat, even while you are at rest.Exercising with free weights or circuit training at least three times a week for one hour will help the individual with PCOS peel off the pounds.
- 3It is essential to get enough rest so that your body has a chance to repair itself. This is especially important for individuals with a chronic disease like PCOS because your body needs lots of downtime to reset itself metabolically. Getting plenty of rest also helps your body to gear up for any exercising that you need to do the next day.Get at least eight hours asleep at night, if not more.
- 4Going to bed by 11:00 pm and rising by 8:00 am will help your body reestablish a set point for your metabolism so it can work more efficiently. Burning the candle at both ends or being erratic about your sleeping habits can sabotage all of your weight loss efforts as living like this causes your adrenal glands to produce excess cortisol, which in turn causes weight gain.Establish a routine of going to bed early and get up early.
- 5This helps prevent blood sugar swings and binge eating every day. Good choices are oatmeal with fruit and a nut milk, a whole grain bread with cottage cheese or yogurt with fruit.Make sure that you eat breakfast every day.
- 6Too much distress can cause cortisol levels to rise, which in turn causes blood sugar to rise. This can result in chronic insulin resistance that leads to weight gain. Walk away from things that cause you stress or grief and don't engage with negativity.Avoid negative people and situations and stay away from emotional drama.
- 7One of the worst things for PCOS is a sedentary lifestyle. Be sure to get up and move whenever possible if you work at a desk job, and be sure to also choose an activity over being a couch potato, to avoid weight gain. Sitting in front of a computer or television also encourages mindless snacking on empty calories whereas being more active or doing something with your hands prevents thatAvoid sitting down all day in front of a computer or a television.
- 8When the urge to overeat or do something that may hurt your health overcomes, you practice HALT, which is an acronym for Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired. Sometimes hunger is genuine, but you may eat to make up for feeling angry, lonely or tired. The idea is to halt before you to start snacking on something that might cause you to gain weight and ask yourself if you are feeling any of these four ways. If you are hungry, you are to try to choose a healthier option or evaluate what you are about to eat. If you are angry, then you might want to resolve that feeling in some other manner, rather than by "stuffing down your anger" and eating. If you are lonely, you may want to call a friend, instead of eating and if you are tired, then a nap may be in order, rather than a fattening snack.Practice HALT.
- 9These drugs encourage your body to excrete chromium before your body can use it and this, in turn, causes weight gain and insulin resistance.Avoid taking non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIS) such as Advil, Motrin, Aleve, Anaprox and Nuprison as they deplete chromium supplies in the body.
- 10Wearing support garments like Spanx and compression sleeves can help train your body to eliminate water from bloated or swollen areas.Wear support and compression garments to help reduce edema and train skin to pull in after dieting.
- 11With each cigarette, you are not only increasing your cortisol levels and depleting essential vitamins but you are also overloading your body with toxins. Women with PCOS do not have the liver or immune function in place to handle the terrible health effects of cigarette smoke. It is also a good idea to stay away from second-hand cigarette smoke as well.Stop smoking.
- 12Alcoholic beverages such as wine and beer are too high in sugar and carbohydrates for a person with PCOS to handle and bloating and weight gain is a guaranteed result. Hard liquor is a little healthier but only if consumed neat. The minute any kind of mix, especially if sugary or carbonated is added to a cocktail, you are adding to its glycemic load.Avoid drinking alcohol.
- 13This will help your body detox through the skin, necessary because PCOS sufferers do not always eliminate toxins well through the digestive system.Scrub your skin down every day with a loofah or rough plastic scrubber.
- 14These substances contain varsols and chemicals that are absorbed through the skin and trigger hormones to react to the poisons. This can result in inflammation, bloating, weight gain and fatigue.Stop wearing nail polish and do not use nail polish remover.
- 15Hair dye contains carcinogens that can overload your liver and kidneys and cause inflammation in the pancreas, kidneys and other organs that are responsible for helping you to lose bloat and fat.Stop dying your hair.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- If you are craving bread, your best choice is an English muffin, as they are very high in chromium and may mitigate the effects of eating a higher carb food
PCOS sufferers should avoid eating a diet that is too high in protein as this can cause stress on the liver and cause weight gain
- Keep in mind that supplements are meant to prevent deficiencies and should never be taken to replace food
- Inositol is sometimes referred to as a vitamin B8, but it not technically a vitamin, it is a glucose sugar that is also manufactured in the body that is in low supply in the systems of women with PCOS and the result is weight gain and bloat
- To lower your sodium intake, buy tortilla chips and popcorn that is labeled low salt or salt-free and avoid the ones with the highest sodium such as Fritos or Doritos
- Avoid eating breakfast bars and pastries, such as Nutrigrain Bars, which can be deceptively high in sugar and sodium, even though they might seem like weight-loss aids at first.
- If you must have carbs, then avoid potato chips and go for whole grain flatbreads and crackers
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Jay, Alma, Eng