Lose Weight with Mangosteen On The Mangosteen Juice Cleanse vs By Drinking Mangosteen Smoothies vs As A Diet Food That Promotes Weight Loss
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Mangosteen
Mangosteen is the fruit of a tropical evergreen tree mostly found in Southeast Asia and parts of Indonesia that is tiny and purple with a white segmented interior. The fruit is very juicy and fibrous and contains large amounts of Vitamin C and antioxidants, qualifying it as a weight loss superfruit. It is often called Purple Mangosteen because of the dark purple color of its skin.
The fruit does not freeze well and can sometimes be found in high-end supermarkets, but it is mostly found in Asian or Oriental supermarkets or in the fruit sections of health food stores.
Eating mangosteens enables weight loss because:
- It is relatively low in calories at 150 calories per cup, making a good choice as a food that can function as a replacement for a meal in a smoothie, raw or in other dishes
- Mangosteen is very rich in Vitamin C, which is a powerful regulator of the metabolism and the immune system
- Mangosteen is a generous source of B-complex vitamins which assists the body in metabolizing carbohydrates, proteins and fats so that they can be converted into fuel that your body can use
- The fruit is very rich in Vitamin E, which helps support the nervous system and reduces the irritability and hair loss that can sometimes accompany detoxifying weight loss regimens
- The fruit is very rich in minerals such as copper, manganese and magnesium, which prevent the leg and stomach cramps that can be the result of being on a low-calorie diet
- Mangosteen is very rich in potassium, which helps regulate blood pressure, cholesterol and banishes bloat edema
- The fruit is an excellent source of fiber that helps clean fat and toxins out your intestines and arteries and naturally lowers cholesterol levels
- Mangosteen is rich in antioxidants that fight aging and inflammation, thus helping you to exercise more efficiently and experience a general feeling of wellness
- Mangosteen also contains natural antihistamines that help you breathe better and resist inflammation due to allergies in your diet
- The fruit contains high levels of essential fatty acids and omega-3 acids that assist with overall brain function and operating of the endocrine system, thus enabling weight loss and that also help you feel less muscle and joint pain while you exercise
- Mangosteen is a natural blood thinner that helps safely eliminate lipids (fat cells) from your bloodstream ad tissues
- Mangosteen contains silica, which assists with toning up loose skin from weight loss and also with healing sore joints, so that you are better able to exercise
Method 1: On The Mangosteen Juice Cleanse
This weight-loss juice requires that you only consume pure organic mangosteen juice, green tea, black tea and water for three days. You can drink sparkling, distilled or pure spring water. You can expect to lose up to ten pounds on this fast, which is based on depriving yourself of all calories by eating absolutely nothing solid for three whole days. The high fiber content in mangosteen juice can help you shed pounds and inches fast.
- 1Check with your physician to make sure that you are healthy enough to do a fast.Mangosteen juice is a bit higher in calories than other diet juices and might register as high sugar for some people who are pre-diabetic or who have Type II Diabetes. If you have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) you could react to the high fiber content in the juice. People with chronic conditions or who need to take medication with meals should not go on this type of fast. This is also not the right fast for people who are on blood thinners as mangosteen juice is a natural blood thinner in the first place.Advertisement
- 2Buy a high quality organic mangosteen juice from the health food store.Avoid mangosteen products with added sugar or that are blended with other juices, as these products will sabotage your weight loss efforts. Mangosteen juice has slightly more calories than other juices, so the benefit here is that you can last longer and feel fuller on it without succumbing to hunger pangs.Advertisement
- 3Clear your daily schedule of any important appointments for the three days and if you can try to take three days off from work while you are fasting.Drinking nothing but mango teen juice and some fluids can cause some side-effects such as gas, stomach cramps, headaches, sweating, confusion and nausea. Do not expect to do much more during this fast, except for maybe non-strenuous activities such as a stroll around the block or a gentle swim. Avoid over-exertion as your body does not have the calories to fuel arduous workouts like weightlifting, running or jogging.]
- 5For a mid-morning snack, drink another eight-ounce of mangosteen juice along with a big glass of water.To make it more interesting you can serve it over ice or mix it up with ice in a blender to make a frosty drink. Be sure to drink the mangosteen drink slowly to avoid sudden escalations in blood sugar levels.
- 2It is absolutely critical to your health and weight loss success that you get enough rest while you are on any type of fast diet.Make sure you get at least eight hours of sleep during the night and take two short naps during each of the three days of the fast, so that your body can focus on detoxification and healing.
- 5You could do this fast once a month provided that starving yourself for three days does not harm your health.However, to keep the weight off for good, it is important that you eat a lead a healthy lifestyle or else you will gain it all back quickly.
Method 2: By Drinking Mangosteen Smoothies
You can stay on this calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for about ten days. You can expect a weight loss of between ten to twenty pounds. The goal of this diet is to replace the 1000 to 2000 calories that you would normally eat a day to 500 calories or less with a mangosteen smoothie that has less than 200 calories. The Mangosteen smoothie recipes recommended should assure you fast weight loss and provide a feeling of fullness so that you can stick to your diet.
- 4For lunch every day, drink a mangosteen smoothie along with a big glass of water OR eat a salad that contains at least one cup of greens and a half of a cup of either Bononcini cheese, cottage cheese, feta cheese or Greek yogurt.You can also add a handful of pumpkin or sesame seeds to your salad as long as you keep the calorie count of the lunch salad below 300 calories to make sure that you are keeping your fat and calorie count low. Apple cider vinegar dressing with a bit of olive oil or coconut oil is best for dressing the salad in order to keep the total calorie count o the dish low.
- 5For dinner drink a mangosteen smoothie OR eat four ounces of a low-fat protein along with a cup of chopped up fruit or vegetable and a tablespoon of olive oil or coconut oil.Low-fat proteins that are allowed include shrimp, steak, chicken, or two ounces or cottage cheese. Your dinner should be in the 400 to 600 calorie range, which usually looks like about four ounces meat piled on some greens. Grill or bake meat, instead of frying and avoid using any high sodium condiments with sugar such as ketchup, mustard or mayonnaise.
- 7For an additional snack or small meal, you can have a mangosteen smoothie OR you can have a cup of fat-free chicken, turkey or beef bone broth The broth can be seasoned with chopped up chilies, grated garlic, grated ginger, parsley sprigs, cilantro, thyme, turmeric powder or bay leaf.These herbs are rich in essential oils that reduce inflammation and can help you lose weight.
- 12At the end of the ten day mangosteen smoothie diet, you can resume participating in heavier exercises such as weight-lifting or running and add, whole grains, vegetable starches and fattier foods like whole wheat bread, creamy soups or avocado back into your diet.Your calorie intake should be at least 1500 calories a day. Continue to avoid all of the "white foods" such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes so that you do not gain all of the weight back immediately.
- 13Continue with the diet for as long as you like or until you feel the need to build muscle through strenuous exercise or until you have met your weight loss goal.This is a nutritionally balanced approach to dieting that can be stopped and then gone on again whenever you feel the need to lose weight.
10 Mangosteen Smoothies That Are Less Than 200 Calories
All of the smoothie recipes on this list for nutritious Mangosteens Smoothies are low-fat, raw, contain less than 100 calories and are recommended as a replacement meal or snack. Any of these can be substituted for two of the meals described in the Drinking Mangosteen Smoothies to Lose Weight Guidelines above. You have ten different selections o 200 calories or less smoothies to choose from so you never get bored with drinking the same concoction every day.
You could follow this suggested regimen of replacing the smoothies, as you would follow steps, mix them up randomly or simply make the mangosteen smoothies that you like best for your replacement meals.
- 1Make a cleansing Cucumber, Mangosteen and Coconut water smoothie at 88 calories per serving.In a blender, combine a cup of mangosteen segments, a cup of chopped cucumber (with skin on), a handful of chopped parsley, a cup of coconut water, 1 cup of ice cubes, a dash of lemon juice and a teaspoon of liquid Stevia. Blend all of the ingredients together to make a refreshing hydrating drink that has no fat and that is a powerful reliever of bloat.
- 2Make a mellow Peach, Avocado Mangosteen smoothie at 110 calories per serving.Blend together the flesh of two mangosteens, 1 cup of frozen or freshly chopped peaches, the fruit of one small avocado and three drops of liquid Stevia. Peaches are a great source of Vitamin A and accentuate the slightly peach-like flavor already inherent in mangosteens. The avocado in the recipe adds a creamy texture to the smoothie as well as large amounts o Vitamin E and good fatty acids.
- 3Make a rich Banana, Coconut and Mangosteen smoothie that is only 130 calories per serving.Combine 1/2 cup of mangosteen segments, a small whole peeled banana, ¼, ½ cup of coconut water, ½ cup of ice and two drops of liquid Stevia in a blender. Blend everything together until frosty and drink. This drink is a diuretic that helps you eliminate toxins.
- 4Make an Orange, Yogurt and Mangosteen smoothie that only has 135 calories per serving.In a blender, mix together 1/2 cup of mangosteen segments with ½ cup of orange pulp and ½ cup of Vanilla Greek Yogurt . Blend until smooth and then add ¼ of unsweetened coconut water and a teaspoon of liquid Stevia. Blend until creamy and smooth and serve. The yogurt in this low fat mangosteen smoothie adds a protein to the smoothie.
- 5Make a Watermelon, Mangosteen and Yogurt Smoothie at 140 calories per serving.In a blender, mix together a cup of chopped watermelon, a cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, and the segments of two small mangosteens and blend until smooth. The watermelon is hydrating and the yogurt provides you with protein. Garnish this drink with a mint leaf or a bit of toasted coconut.
- 1Make a Chocolate, Mangosteen, and Avocado smoothie at 150 calories per serving.Combine segments from 3 Mangosteens, 2 tablespoons of mashed avocado, 2 tablespoons raw unsweetened cacao powder, 1 Medjool dates (pitted), a dash of ground cinnamon, ½ c cup of coconut water and ½ cup of ice. Blend everything together in a blender until frosty and smooth and drink. Raw cacao is a mood enhancer that can help relieve some of the irritability that is associated with being a calorie restricted diet.
- 2Make a Kiwi, Mangosteen and Greek Yogurt Smoothie at 142 calories per serving.In a blender, mix together a cup of kiwi, a cup of vanilla flavored almond milk, and the segments of two small mangosteens and blend until smooth. The kiwi adds just the right amount of tartness to the sweetness of the mangosteen and the Greek yogurt adds creaminess, natural probiotics and protein to the smoothie recipe.
- 3Make an energizing Pineapple, Coconut and Mangosteen smoothie with 159 calories per serving.Blend together 1 cup of chopped pineapple, 1 cup of sliced mangosteen segments and ½ cup o coconut milk in a blender. Add 1 teaspoon of liquid stevia and blend until frosty. This smoothie is particularly rich in iron and Vitamin C, which helps beat the hair loss and tired that can sometimes come with dieting.
- 4Make a creamy and satisfying Pear, Mangosteen and Ginger smoothie that is 180 calories per serving.Combine 1 cup of chopped, pitted pear chunks, the segments from two mangosteens, 1 cup o mashed frozen banana, 1 cup of vanilla almond milk, a cup of ice and 1 heaping tablespoon grated ginger root in a blender. Mix until smooth and serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top. The pear makes this smoothie very high in fiber, which helps detoxify the digestive system and the ginger in the drink speed up your circulation and assists with detoxification.
- 5Make a Coconut Oil, Blueberry and Mangosteen smoothie that is 198 calories.Combine one cup ice, 2/3 cup of organic blueberries, the fruit segments of two mangosteens, a cup of almond milk and ¼ cup of organic coconut oil. The coconut oil is a potent inflammatory that can help flush fat out of your system as well as help you nourish your hair and skin while you are dieting.
Method 3: As A Diet Food That Promotes Weight Loss
Here are many different ways to include mangosteen fruit segments in your daily routine so that you can lose weight by either using the food as a meal replacement or by using it as an ingredient in snacks and meals.
- 2Replace a full meal or a snack with mangosteen fruit slushy.Simply a cup of mangosteen segments with a cup and a half of ice and add a splash of vanilla to bring out the peachy flavor of the fruit. Mangosteen usually does not need sweetener, as it is higher in natural sugars, but if you get a tarter mangosteen you can add a bit of liquid stevia to sweeten it up.
- 3Drink mangosteen-infused water.Drop the segments of two mangosteens into a glass of spring, distilled or sparkling water and stir. You can also add tangerine segments and blueberry segments and a handful of mint to make it even more flavorful. Pomegranate seeds, kiwi slices, and pineapple chunks also go well in mangosteen-infused water.
- 4Drink iced tea flavored with mangosteen pulp.Mix the pulp of a mangosteen with black tea, mint tea, chai or green tea in a pitcher filled with ice cubes. You can also sweeten this tea with a bit of liquid or powdered Stevia if you like. Add water if necessary and let the mixture chill in the refrigerator for an hour before serving. This drink is a powerful diuretic that helps to flush out the kidneys and liver.
- 5Make a healthy mangosteen gelatin desert with tangerines and mangosteen segments.Add one packet of Knox gelatin to a half cup of hot water mixed with ¼ cup of orange juice and heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Blend the gelatin with tangerine and mangosteen segments and chill in the refrigerator for at least three hours. Gelatine is good for bones and connective tissue and the fruit is very rich in vitamin C.
- 6Make a creamy mangosteen and banana sorbet to eat as a replacement for a snack or a dessert.Mix together ½ cup of pure spring water, a ½ a cup of Truvia, Zing or Stevia In the Raw, a tablespoon of organic vanilla, two tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a saucepan. Simmer until the Stevia is dissolved. Macerate 3 mangosteens and 1 banana in a blender and then add to the sweet syrup. Let it cook on low it for another ten minutes and then let the mixture cool. Use a hand blender to mix it all well and then pour it into a container and freeze it until it has the texture of a sorbet. For a slightly creamier texture, try adding a bit of coconut milk, cashew milk or almond milk to the mixture.
- 7For a low-fat alcoholic cocktail, make a Mangosteen Vodka Lemon Drop.Add two tablespoons of mangosteen fruit pulp and juice to 1 ounce of vodka, 1 ounce of gin, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and four drops of liquid stevia to a small blender. Shake vigorously and serve with a big slice of lime.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- To peel a mangosteen use a sharp paring knife make short blunt cuts around the edge of the purple rind and then remove the two halves of the peel to reveal the white inner fruit segments
- Avoid buying mangosteen juice that is sweetened with sugar, as that adds calories and carbs to your meal.
- When you are on a calorie restricted or detoxification diet, it is really helpful to scrub your body down with a loofah or rough washcloth to help your body eliminate toxins
- Freezing bananas before you add them to a blender can help make your smoothie and sorbets taste a bit sweeter and also make the mixture a bit thicker in texture
- Big batches of mango smoothies can be made ahead of time and frozen, and then remade into frosty drinks by whirling it again in the blender
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight with Mangosteen. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Mangosteen
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight with Mangosteen." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Mangosteen Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight with Mangosteen." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Mangosteen.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna