Lose Weight with Grapefruit With The Traditional 3 Day Grapefruit Diet vs With The 12 Day Grapefruit Juice Plan vs By Replacing Meals With Grapefruit Smoothies ... and 1 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Doug Collins
The Health Benefits of Weight Loss With Grapefruit
All grapefruit is high in vitamins and minerals, but if you truly want to lose weight by eating this fruit then consume pink or red grapefruit which has much more lycopene in it. Lycopene is a derivative of Vitamin A that is found in foods that are red or pink in color. High lycopene on any fruit is key to quick weight loss and white and yellow varieties of it contain much less of this important compound.
Grapefruit can help you lose weight because:
- It is a low glycemic fruit that keeps your feeling energetic for many hours after eating because blood sugars are released very slowly into your system
- Grapefruit is very high in chromium, which is a mineral that is useful for fighting insulin resistance and warding off obesity due to Type 2 Diabetes and other metabolic disorders
- Grapefruit contains no fat and absolutely no starch, making it the perfect diet food as it is fat and the starches that turn into fat that tend to accumulate on your waistline, thighs and hips
- There are only forty calories in a single medium sized red grapefruit which means that this is a fruit gives you a great ROI nutritionally for eating a very little of it
It is very high in lycopene, a potent antioxidant that fights all cell damage and promotes weight loss, cardiovascular health and an efficient liver
- Grapefruits are high in the phytonutrient limone, which attaches to sugar molecules and helps our bodies convert sugar to fuel instead of fat, which in turn causes weight loss
- It is high in myristoleic and conjugated linoleic acids which quickly and efficiently convert consumed fats into energy instead of fat on the body
- It is incredibly rich in Vitamin C, which reduces inflammation in the body and prevents insulin resistance and also ensures the healthy function of all of its systems
- The high Vitamin C content coupled with the high antioxidant content in grapefruit act as a natural wound healer and pain reliever that can help ease joint and tissue pain and help you exercise longer and recover from exercise quickly
- It is very high in Vitamin A which supports liver and kidney function and also supports hair growth while enduring a low protein or low fat diet
- It contains a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals including pantothenic acid, copper, biotin, Vitamin B1 and potassium, which supports the function of your endocrine system and also helps keep your skin and hair beautiful while you are dieting
- Grapefruit is a good source of soluble fiber in the form of pectin, which helps you feel full and also helps clean out your intestines and arteries, so your metabolism works more efficiently and you don't gain weight
- Grapefruit contains several polyphenols that help prevent weight gain by lowering insulin levels and preventing carbohydrates from turning into fat like cellulite
- Grapefruit contains Vitamin E and essential fatty acids, which helps keep your brain and endocrine glands in good working order so that you lose weight without feeling fatigued or unwell
- The high potassium levels in grapefruit help your body eliminate the excess sodium and water bloat that is so much a part of our salty contemporary diet that causes weight gain
- The high magnesium content in the fruit keeps your muscles limber and relaxed and makes sure that you get a good night's rest, which is essential if you are on a low calorie diet
- Grapefruit is often called a super fruit because it contains a flavonoid called naringenin, which restores health to damaged DNA which helps with many types of problems including metabolic resistance and cancer
Method 1: With The Traditional 3 Day Grapefruit Diet
Over the days the traditional Grapefruit diet goes by many names including the Army diet, Navy Diet and the Cleveland Clinic diet. The promise of this traditional weight loss diet is that you will lose ten pounds in three days. It has been a popular crash diet since the 1920s. Do not stray from the instructions in this diet, which does not allow condiments and you will lose the weight.
- 1Grapefruit can interfere with the efficiency and effectiveness of many medications including drugs to lower cholesterol and drugs for high blood pressure. It is also not suitable for pregnant or breastfeeding women or individuals with eating disorders. If you are diabetic, either Type I or Type II, your doctor may advise that you take another approach to weight loss because this diet contains a lot of chromium, which lowers your blood sugar. Grapefruit can also interfere with thyroid medications. The grapefruit diet is also qualifies as being a crash diet because the weight loss is often not permanent.Check with a doctor before you embark on the Grapefruit diet or any other type of crash diet.Advertisement
- 2You may add stevia or Truvia to your coffee as a sweetener. The toast with peanut butter is a minimal source of carbohydrates that can help you hold of on hunger pangs until lunch time.For breakfast on Day 1 of the diet consume one cup of black tea or coffee, ½ of a grapefruit and one piece of toast with peanut butter.Advertisement
- 4A good brand of ice cream to use is Chapman's sugar-free ice cream, which is not made with artificial sweeteners. Make sure that all of your vegetables are steamed. Salt, pepper and lemon juice are allowed as seasonings.For supper on Day 1 consume 3 ounces of lean meat, 1 cup of green beans, 1 cup of carrots or beets, 1 apple and 1 cup of sugar-free vanilla ice cream.
- 5Boil or poach the egg to avoid consuming the unnecessary fat that can come from frying it. In this meal the egg provides protein and the banana provides some fiber to help move waste through your digestive system.For breakfast on Day 2 consume 1 egg, 1 slice of dry toast, 1 small banana and 1 cup black coffee tor tea.
- 7You can substitute a cup of steamed cabbage or the broccoli. Make sure that all of the vegetables you eat are boiled or steamed and not cooked with any kind of oil or fat. Hot dogs provide some animal fat to this meal later in the day, which is apparently crucial to its success. There are hot dogs on the market that are made from organic sources. If you decide to substitute a chicken or turkey sausage, make sure that you only have one sausage and that it is as plain as possible without added spices or sodium.For supper on day 2 you can have 2 boiled hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli, ½ cup carrots, one small banana and ½ cup of sugar-free vanilla ice cream.
- 10Corn and beans are too starchy and convert quickly into sugar, thus causing last minute weight gain and bloating. Pick fat free cuts of meat that are dense with protein. Good choices are steak, turkey, chicken and white fish. Do not cook any meat in this diet with oils. Barbecue or cook the meat in a bit of vegetable broth or lemon juice.For supper on Day 3 you can have six ounces of any meat and as many steamed vegetables as you like except for corn or beans.
- 11As there is so much drastic weight loss in as short time when people go on this grapefruit diet, most people gain at least some of it back.Once you are done this diet, you can do it again in a month.
Method 2: With The 12 Day Grapefruit Juice Plan
In this diet, which relies on a limited intake of calories to be effective, you can lose ten pounds in twelve days. The key is to eat less than 1000 calories a day, even though it includes eggs, meat and dairy in the plan. It is a ketosis diet, which means that you are allowed high amounts of protein but no white carbs at all. This also means that you will not be consuming any bread, pasta, rice or potatoes, but that you will be able to consume some healthy oils. It qualifies as being a high protein diet, which may not be suitable for people suffering from liver or kidney disease.
- 1Grapefruit juice can interfere with many medications including medications for lowering cholesterol and blood pressure, antihistamines, antidepressants and drugs prescribed for diabetes and heart arrhythmia. It is also not recommended for people who suffer from eating disorders, pregnant women or breastfeeding women. As it is so high in Vitamin C it is also not recommended for women who suffer from cystitis or people with bleeding disorders.Check with your doctor before embarking on a grapefruit juice diet.Advertisement
- 2You could also have two poached eggs if you prefer. The bacon and eggs supply you with even more chromium and B vitamins as well as a high amount of protein, which will tide you over until your next meal.For breakfast consume two boiled eggs, two slices of bacon plus 8 ounces of grapefruit juice or ½ of a grapefruit.
- 3It is best to eat very trim fat from any cuts of meat that you consume. The vinegar in the dressing helps you digest all of the protein that you will be consuming during the day so that you do not become constipated.Wait four hours and then for lunch consume a salad with oil and vinegar dressing, six to eight ounces of any meat and 8 ounces of grapefruit juice or half of a grapefruit.
- 4Broiling the grapefruit helps relieve the monotony of eating it at every meal. You can also add a bit of sparkling water to the grapefruit juice to help relieve some of the tedium of always eating the same thing.Wait four hours and then for dinner consume six to eight ounces of any meat you prefer, roasted vegetables or a salad, coffee or tea and ½ grapefruit or 8 ounces of grapefruit juice.
- 5Do not have a nut milk, such as almond or coconut, as it has too much fat in it and you will gain weight. The milk adds calcium, magnesium and protein to the diet, which helps prevent the insomnia and leg cramps that can come with dieting.Wait at least three hours and then for a snack you may have 8 ounces of skim milk.
- 7As it is a crash diet that involves eating well below what you need to have healthy skin, hair and organ function, you need to give your body at least thirty days to rejuvenate itself by eating the amount of calories a day that you would need to sustain your current new weight.Wait a month before doing this diet again.
Method 3: By Replacing Meals With Grapefruit Smoothies
In order to lose weight, all you have to do is replace one to two meals with a grapefruit smoothie. The smoothies on this list are all less than 200 calories, which means that you are saving 200 to 800 calories a day per meal while at the same time staying well, nourished and cutting hunger pangs. If you cut one meal a day and replace it with just one of the grapefruit smoothies below you could lose two to five pounds a week and if you replace two meals you could lose four to ten pounds a week. Each recipe below makes on twelve ounce serving.
- 1Blend two cups of ice with the flesh of one grapefruit, a cup of brewed Hibiscus tea, a teaspoon of Truvia or honey and a sprig of rosemary. The hibiscus tea is very rich in antioxidants that support weight loss and also the health of your kidney and liver. The rosemary is rich in essential oils that help speed up your metabolism and protect your system from damage due to insulin resistance.Make a Grapefruit, Hibiscus Tea and Rosemary Smoothie at 40 calories.Advertisement
- 2Blend two cups of ice with the flesh of one grapefruit, a cup off grapefruit , a teaspoon of Truvia or honey and a couple of sprigs of mint with a handful of crushed ice until smooth. Watermelon is a low calorie source of Vitamin A and fiber that acts as a powerful diuretic. Mint also acts as a diuretic and blood purifier, thus accelerating weight loss.Make a Grapefruit, Watermelon and Mint Smoothie at 48 calories.
- 3In a blender , combine the segments of a whole grapefruit, a cup of chopped cucumber with the skin on, a handful of chopped parsley, a cup of coconut water and a dash of lemon juice. You can sweeten this with stevia or add a bit of salt and pepper or both if you prefer as this drink has a taste that is both sweet and salty. The cucumber and parsley in this drink combine together to provide relief for water retention and bloat, thus taking inches off of your waistline.Make a Grapefruit, Cucumber and Coconut Water smoothie at 58 calories a serving.
- 4Mix. together 1 cup of frozen strawberries, a cup of ice, 1 cup of seeded grapefruit segments, a 1 inch piece of ginger and a splash of chilled water in a blender. Blend it all together until smooth and frosty. The strawberries add fiber to the smoothie and the ginger stimulates your circulation, which encourages quick detoxification of the liver and fast weight loss.Make a Grapefruit, Strawberry and Ginger Smoothie at 60 calories a serving.
- 5Blend together a cup of grapefruit segments, a cup of frozen green grapes, the juice of one whole fresh lemon, a tablespoon of flax seeds, a cup of ice water and 1 cup of ice in a blender. Taste and if it needs to be sweeter add a tablespoon of Truvia or honey. Whirl this mixture together until frosty and smooth. The lemon helps purify the blood and optimize the function of the kidneys. The flax seeds add a bit of protein and body to what would otherwise be quite a thin smoothie.Make a Grape, Grapefruit and Lemon smoothie at 70 calories.
- 6Blend together one chopped raw beet, two small carrots, a handful of parsley, the segments of a medium-sized grapefruit and a cup of ice in a blender. Whirl it all together until foamy. Be aware that although this smoothie is quite high in Vitamin A and chromium, it is also a bit higher in natural sugars than some other recipes. To mitigate this you can add a tablespoon of chia seeds to the mix, which acts as a thickener and carbohydrate blocker.Make a Grapefruit, Beet and Carrot smoothie at 75 calories per serving.
- 7Blend together the segments of one whole great fruit, one whole unpeeled chopped apple, a cup of chopped celery and a ¼ cup of lime juice in a blender. Whirl it together and taste it. If it needs to be sweeter you can add a touch of Maple syrup or a teaspoon of Truvia. The apple and celery in this smoothie provide soluble fiber, which helps clean the intestines of debris and reduce bloat and fat, especially around the waistline.Make a Grapefruit, Apple, Celery and Lime smoothie at 80 calories a serving.
- 8Blend together ½ chopped pulp of one ripe mangos, the segments of a whole grapefruit, 1 frozen banana, a cup of ice and a cup of spring water in a blender and whirl everything together until smooth. Mango is in an excellent source of Vitamin A that supports the optimum functioning of the kidneys, liver and pancreas.Make a Grapefruit, Mango and Banana smoothie at 95 calories.
- 9Blend together two cups of chopped kale, the segments o one whole grapefruit, 1 pear, a cup of plain Greek yogurt, a handful of ice and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. The kale contains protein and a broad spectrum of minerals to keep you healthy.Make a Grapefruit, Kale and Pear smoothie at 105 calories per smoothie.
- 10Blend together, a handful of ice, two cups of frozen blackberries, the flesh of one whole grapefruit, a cup of plain Greek nonfat yogurt, four medjool dates and a sprig of mint in a blender until smooth. If it is not sweet enough add a bit of Truvia or stevia to the mix. Both blackberries and yogurt contain protein, which helps stave off hunger and the medjool dates add fiber to the mix.Make a Grapefruit, Blackberry and Yogurt smoothie at 130 calories per serving.
- 11Blend together the segments of one large grapefruit, 1 cup of frozen or freshly chopped spinach, the fruit of one small avocado and three drops of liquid Stevia or a teaspoon of honey. Spinach is an ample source of iron which helps support your weight loss efforts and the avocado in the smoothie is very rich in Vitamin E and essential acids that can help ease joint pain and keep you in a good mood while you lose weight.Make a Grapefruit, Avocado and Spinach smoothie at 135 calories per serving.
- 12Blend together 1 cup frozen cherries, ½ cup of Greek yogurt, ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk, 2 tablespoons of ginger, 1 and 1 cup of ice in a blender and blend until frothy. Cherries are a good source of iron, which supports the health of your liver and the yogurt provides protein, as well as probiotics that keep your intestines in good working order and free from the yeast and bacteria that can cause bloating.Make Grapefruit, Cherry and Greek Yogurt Smoothie at 118 calories.
- 13Blend together two chopped apples, 1 frozen banana, 1 cup of almond milk and 1 cup of ice cubes. Whirl everything together until smooth and serve. The apple and the almond milk supply you with lots of protein, which makes this smoothie a good one to drink before you work out while dieting. The potassium in the banana also helps keep you from feeling fatigued.Make a Grapefruit, Apple and Banana Smoothie at 140 calories per serving.
- 14Whirl together one small peeled banana, 1 cup of fresh grapefruit juice, ¼ cup of Greek yogurt, ½ cup of almond milk and a tablespoon of flax seeds in a blender. Add a handful of ice to the mix if you would like a frostier drink. Blend it all together until smooth. Honeydew is a diuretic rich in Vitamin A that reduces bloating and the banana is a source of fiber that helps remove debris from the colon.Make a Grapefruit, Banana and Honeydew smoothie at 150 calories per servings.
- 15Blend together 1 cup of chopped pineapple, 1 cup of sliced grapefruit segments and ½ cup of coconut milk in a blender. Add 1 teaspoon of liquid stevia and blend until frosty. This smoothie is particularly rich in iron and Vitamin C, which helps beat the hair loss and tired that can sometimes come with dieting.Make a Grapefruit, Pineapple and Coconut smoothie with 159 calories per serving.
Method 4: By Adding More Grapefruit to Your Daily Diet
You can enjoy all of the benefits of grapefruit's rich nutritional profile as well as lose weight by incorporating it into your daily diet as often as possible.
- 2Fill an infuser pitcher with grapefruit segments and ice and add vapor distilled water. You can also add mint, rosemary, thyme, other citrus fruit, watermelon or any type of berry to the water to give it a unique flavor and also add to the diuretic properties of grapefruit.Drink water that is infused with grapefruit.
- 3Blend two cups of grapefruit segments with a cup of ice, a sprig of mint and a teaspoon of liquid honey or stevia. Blend until frosty. This offers you a very tasty weight to get more chromium into your diet, which induces weight loss. It is also a very simple way to get the extra hydration that you need to stay hydrated.Make a grapefruit fruit slushy.
- 4Mix one part grapefruit juice with one part green tea and drink it every day to shed the pounds. These two ingredients together work synergistically to speed up your metabolism and rate of weight loss. Serve it on ice or blended together with ice and mint to make a frosty low calorie treat.Make a green tea and grapefruit juice "half and half" beverage and drink it every day to speed up your weight loss.
- 5Sprinkle a grapefruit with a bit of brown sugar or drizzle on a teaspoon of honey and broil the grapefruit for about eight minutes in a hot toaster or under your stove's broiler. The warmth of the broiler brings out the juices of the grapefruit and gives it a sweeter flavor. Served with a piece of a whole grain toast or cottage cheese, you have a healthy protein rich breakfast that will sustain you for hours.Make a classic broiled grapefruit for breakfast.
- 6Stir grapefruit slices into plain yogurt, sprinkle with flax seeds or almond slivers and enjoy for breakfast or dessert. Yogurt is a probiotic foods that encourages the growth of friendly gut bacteria, which in turn encourages the absorption of nutrients and weight loss. the flax seeds provide essential fatty acids and fiber to help nourish your skin and hair while dieting and also accelerate weight loss.Eat grapefruit and yogurt bowl for breakfast.
- 7Puree the flesh three medium m sized peeled and seeded grapefruit and add a handful of mint, a cup of yogurt, a ½ cup of frozen mangos and puree again. Pour into bowls and serve cold with a sprig of mint. This soup is rich in Vitamin A, which supports liver and kidney health and the protein in it supplies your body with the energy it needs to get things done, even though you are on a diet.Make chilled grapefruit soup.
- 8Grapefruit goes especially well with dark greens such as baby spinach and kale, as well as bitter greens such arugula and watercress. Salads that contain grapefruit a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals that support weight loss and any bitter greens that are added are particular good for helping the liver renew itself while you are dieting.Toss grapefruit segments into any type of salad.
- 10If you are trying to eliminate fats and oils from your diet you can add salt, pepper, vinegar and cayenne pepper to grapefruit puree and pour it over a salad or steamed vegetables. The cayenne pepper stimulates your circulation and helps you shed the pounds.Make an oil-free grapefruit salad dressing.
- 11Mix together equal parts of grapefruit puree, olive oil and red wine vinegar with one tablespoon of honey, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle. Shake well and serve. Poppy seeds add a nutty flavor to the salad dressing and they also contain oleic acid which helps lower HDL, also known as bad cholesterol.Make grapefruit poppy seed dressing for salads or steamed vegetables.
- 12Add one packet of Knox gelatin to a half cup of hot water mixed with ¼ cup of your favorite citrus juice, nut milk or tea and heat until the gelatin is dissolved. Blend the gelatin with grapefruit segments and chill in the refrigerator for at least thee hours. Gelatin is a good source of protein that keeps your joints pliant and flexible. You can serve this with almond milk, whipped coconut cream or real whipped cream or you could just consume it plain and save even more calories. Good choices of tea or fruit juices to use in this recipe include cherry, pomegranate, grapefruit, lemon, lime, orange, lime, strawberry, green tea, coconut water, rice milk and almond milk.Make a simple grapefruit gelatin desert.
- 13Mix together ½ cup of pure spring water, a ½ a cup of Truvia or Sugar in The Raw, a tablespoon of organic vanilla, a handful of crushed mint two tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a saucepan. Simmer and stir until the Stevia is dissolved. Blend the segments of one whole grapefruit and 1 frozen banana in a blender and then add to the sweet syrup. Use a hand blender to mix it all well and then pour it into a container and freeze it until it has the texture of a light ice cream. For a slightly creamier texture, try adding a bit of coconut milk, cashew milk or almond milk to the mixture in the blender and whip it for about two minutes longer than you normally would. This helps the mixture transform into a true custard.Make a grapefruit, mint and banana sorbet.
- 14Combine 3 ounces of fresh lime juice with half a cup of ruby red grapefruit juice, 2 ounces of tequila and an ounce of orange liqueur into a blender filled with ice. Blend until slushy in texture and pour it into a cocktail glass.Make a Grapefruit Margarita.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Be sure to take your measurements often because weight loss is not always reflected on the scale; sometimes it is reflected in inches lost around your middle, hips, arms and legs
- Skin discoloration and scratches may mar the appearance of a grapefruit but not affect the quality of the fruit inside
- Do not buy decayed grapefruit, which will feel soft and a bit watery
- Grapefruits are best I consumed within a week of purchase
- Rinse a grapefruit under cool running water before eating to make sure there is no bacteria left on the skin that could be dragged through the fruit as you cut into it
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna