Lose Weight with Glucomannan By Taking Glucomannan Supplements vs Eating Shirataki Noodles
Edited by Donna, Eng
Glucomannan is a fat and cholesterol blocker, made the fruit of the Konjac tree. It is available in pills, powder and capsules. It is also used as a therapy to trigger weight loss in people who suffer from obesity, high blood sugar and high cholesterol and as a general weight-loss aid and carbohydrate blocker.
Glucomannan helps you lose weight because:
- Glucomannan supplementation helps you feel very full, and as you take before a meal, you will not feel like eating as much and you will last longer between meals before succumbing to cravings
- When taken before meals, glucomannan blocks fat, sugar and carbohydrates in the intestines by absorbing it from the foods you eat so that they are not absorbed by your body
- Glucomannan becomes a gel in your intestines that absorbs fats and debris in your colon and gently nudges it out of your digestive system
- It causes weight loss by supporting liver function which entails converting cholesterol to bile acids and lowering your cholesterol, which in turn improves the overall efficiency of all of your metabolic processes
- It's carbohydrate blocking action helps regulate your blood sugar and avoid the impact that starches and sugars can have on your blood sugar levels if you have a metabolic disorder or Type 2 Diabetes
- Glucomannan has 0 calories per serving, and it is used to make a noodle called shirataki, which can replace pasta dishes in your diet, thus helping your to consume way less calories
Method 1: By Taking Glucomannan Supplements
Here is how to take glucomannan diet pills to lose weight:
- 1Glucomannan supplementation may not be suitable for people on thyroid medication for individuals who have hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid). It is also not suitable or people who already have blood sugar (hypoglycemia), because the thick fibers in glucomannan lower your blood sugar even further. Women who are pregnant should also avoid taking glucomannan and you should also check with your doctor about taking it if you are on metformin to treat diabetes. If you suffer from chronic constipation or irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) glucomannan might also be problematic because gluten can sometimes make these conditions worse.Check with your doctor before taking glucomannan fat blockers in case it is not a healthy choice for you.Advertisement
- 3This recommendation amounts to being 18 grams a day. This dose is based on the assumption that you are eating three meals a day. If you suffer from bloating, gas or abdominal swelling from taking three glucomannan capsules before each meal.Take at least three 2 gram capsules or tablets of glucomannan before each meal, along with ten ounces of spring water or vapor distilled water.
- 5After that you should wait about a month before taking it again to avoid having the substance build up in your body, where it can cause obstructions and blockages. This is not likely to happen in every individual, but the fact that it has happened makes it a good to take a break from glucomannan use every now and then.You can take glucomannan for about four months to keep your blood sugar levels low and to sustain weight loss.
Method 2: By Eating Shirataki Noodles
Konjac noodles have zero carbohydrates because they are 100% glucomannan fiber. Shirataki noodles can be used in place of pasta, which is very high in starch and carbohydrates to help you lose weight. Eating konjac noodles instead of regular pasta can cut as much as a thousand calories from any pasta or vermicelli meal that you would normally make and eat.
Companies such as [www.konjacfoods.com Konjac Foods} sell shirataki noodles in all of the classic long and skinny pasta including as angel hair, vermicelli, spaghetti and linguine.
How to Cook Shirataki Noodles
- 1Shirataki noodles are still not common enough in North America to be found in North American stores. They are usually sold in a plastic bag filled with water, as opposed to dried, like regular pasta. Remember that the food group that shirataki belongs to is fruit and not grain and that is why they are stored this way.Purchase shirataki noodles at a natural or whole foods grocery, a health food store or an Asian store.Advertisement
Shirataki noodles can also be:
- Added to soup
- Drained and eaten cold as part of a salad
Diet Shirataki Noodle Recipes
Here are some ideas for getting more glucomannan in your diet by eating shirataki noodles for a meal. All of these meals are less than 300 calories and contain other healthy ingredients that can help you lose weight. Note that you can use any type of shirataki noodles to make any of these dishes and not just the recommended types. Packages of shirataki noodles usually come in 7-10 ounce sizes and how big of a bag that you use might be up to your personal preference, because with shirataki, which is 100% glucomannan, you are not counting any calories anyway.
- 1Drain and steam a package of shirataki noodles. In a blender mix the flesh of one avocado, two tablespoons of light cream cheese, a handful of basil leaves, a tablespoon of grated garlic, a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and a teaspoon of olive oil. Whirl the ingredients together to make a sauce and then pour the mixture over the steamed noodles. Season with salt and pepper and serve with grated parmesan cheese and cucumbers if you like (which will only add about 25 calories and some minerals to the dish.)Make a creamy cold Avocado Shirataki Fettuccine salad at 55 calories a serving.
- 2Whirl together ¾ cup of water with 1 cup of raw unsalted cashews, two tablespoons of fresh line juice and two cloves of garlic in a blender to make a paste. Drain and steam shirataki noodles until warm and then mix the paste with the noodles. Season with salt and pepper and serve. The cashew nuts add a healthy dose of protein to the dish and the garlic contains chromium, which helps regulate blood sugar levels.Make a Cashew and Lime Shirataki Spaghetti at 60 calories per serving.
- 3Combine 1 tablespoon of canola oil with 2 cloves of minced garlic, one thinly julienned carrot, 2 cups of sliced Napa cabbage, a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, a dash of soya sauce in a frying pan. Cook until lightly fried and the vegetables are just tender. Drain a package of shirataki noodles. Add them to the pan and stir and then sprinkle thee pasta dish with two teaspoons of toasted sesame seeds. Cabbage is a high fiber food that is very rich in minerals that help with weight loss including manganese, potassium, phosphorus and magnesium. Cabbage is also very high in vitamin B6, which promotes hair growth, which sometimes slows, when you are on a very low calorie diet.Make Shirataki Noodles with Napa Cabbage at 80 calories per serving.
- 4Combine one package of drained shirataki noodles with a 7 ounce can of chickpeas (drained), five cloves of minced garlic, minced parsley sprigs, a tablespoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt in a sauce pan. Mix everything together in the pan and fry until warm and then sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of grated parmesan cheese shavings. The chickpeas and the grated parmesan are both very high in B vitamins and protein.Make a high-fiber Chickpea and Garlic Shirataki Pasta dish at 185 calories per serving.
- 5Brown eight ounces of chopped chicken breasts in a pan lightly wetted with lemon juice and a drizzle of sesame oil. Add two packages of shirataki noodles, one bag of frozen Asian style vegetables, 1 cup of bean sprouts, ½ cup of mushrooms, ½ cup of grated carrot, ¼ cup of reduced sodium soy sauce, two tablespoons of high quality chicken bone broth or consommé and a tablespoon of Truvia sweetener and lightly stir-fry all of the ingredients together. The sauce for the dish will naturally form in the pan. The chicken is high in protein and the vegetables contain a broad spectrum of nutrients that you need to get through your day.Make a Low Fat Chicken Lo Mien at only 180 calories per serving.
- 6Brown one pound of lean ground beef with cup of chopped onions, 1 large chopped onion, 1 chopped carrot, one chopped celery stick. 1 cup of chopped mushrooms and ground pepper and then add one can of your favorite low-sodium and low fat tomato sauce to the pan. Drain the shirataki noodles and add them to pan. Top the pasta dish off with parsley and one tablespoon shreds of real grated parmesan. This is a nourishing high protein and low-fat version of the typical Italian version.Make quick low fat Spaghetti with Meat Sauce at 200 calories per serving.
- 7Grill three pineapple rings and two halves of a pitted avocado on an grill for about two minutes until grill lines and some caramelization on the fruits are apparent. Combine ½ cup each of chopped red onion and chopped red peppers in a bowl and add the pineapple rings and avocado. Steam the shiratiki noodles and add that to the bowl and then dress the salad with 1 tablespoon of lime juice, a whole minced chili pepper, grated garlic, pepper and salt. Pineapple contains bromelain, which is a potent digestive aid that helps you lose weight,Make Grilled Pineapple and Avocado shirataki noodles at 240 calories per serving.
- 8Combine one bag of drained shiratiki noodles with a tablespoon of canola oil, a tablespoon of fresh ginger, 5 chopped scallions, 2 tablespoons of curry powder, 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce and a pound of shrimp in a sauce pan. Stir together and then serve on a plate with fresh chopped cilantro as a garnish. Shrimp is an excellent low-fat source of protein as well as a natural source of chitosan, which is another blood-sugar stabilizes that aids with weight loss.Make a simple Shrimp and Curry Shirataki Noodle dish at 280 calories per serving.
- 9Drain one package of shirataki noodles and steam them in a frying pan or pot. Mix together two egg whites, ½ cup of low fat ricotta cheese, ¼ cup of light sour cream, 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup of chopped cauliflower, ½ a tablespoon of dry mustard in a blender until smooth. Add to the shirataki noodles in the pan and cook for about five minutes, all the time stirring the mixture to make sure that everything is well blended. Sprinkle with a bit of oat bran and serve. If you want this dish to be even cheesier you can also add about two tablespoons of gruyere cheese which adds about 60 calories to the dish (still keeping it under 300 calories.Make a Shirataki Reduced Calorie Mac N' Cheese dish at 199 calories per serving.
- 10Mix together a package of steamed angel hair pasta, a tablespoon of organic unsalted butter, two tablespoons of dry grated parmesan cheese and generous grindings of black pepper and pink Himalayan salt. Although it may seem decadent to be eating butter and parmesan while on a diet, the fact that the glucomannan noodles contain absolutely no calories make it much more acceptable than giving into a craving for a big dish of pasta. To make this healthier you can add protein such as 50 grams of chicken or about six shrimp, however this makes this a dish that is around 360 calories. That is still a low calorie count for a pasta dish.Make Shirataki Noodles With Butter and Parmesan at 290 calories per serving.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Most people do not experience side effects while on glucomannan, but if they do it is some gas and bloating that disappears after a week, once your body gets used to taking it
- Do not take glucomannan if you are expecting to have surgery in the near future as it can lower your blood sugar while you are under anesthesia and cause problems
- You may lose some weight while taking glucomannan if you maintain a regular lifestyle and diet, but you will lose the most while taking it if you take it in conjunction with a calorie restricted diet
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna