Lose Weight with Cupuacu By Replacing Meals With Cupuacu Fruit Smoothies vs Adding Raw Cupuacu Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
Cupuacu is a tropical super fruit that is native to South America and that is used for weight loss. It is about the size of a large grapefruit with brown leathery skin. Inside it has laterally segmented, fibrous white to yellow colored fruit inside with small brown beans lining the center. The fruit tastes mostly like a pear with a hint of chocolate, pineapple and banana flavors. The edible part of the cupuacu is often called "the butter" because it is very soft and mushy in texture but it is the seeds of the fruit that are used to make cupuacu butter, which is melted mixed with sugar and tastes quite a bit like chocolate.
As it's reputation for being a weight loss aid for North Americans and Europeans grows, it is becoming more widely available in gourmet, health and Asian supermarkets. It is sometimes sold under the names cupuassu or cooasu.
The Benefits of Cupuacu For Weight Loss
Cupuacu enables weight loss because:
- It is a low in calories at between 50 and 60 calories a fruit, however almost a quarter of those calories are from fat, which makes it an excellent choice for those on a paleo diet
- It is a source of the obroma, which is the same ingredient in chocolate that stimulates the metabolism, increases well-being and encourages weight loss
- It is low-calorie and satisfying, but sweet and rich enough to stop cravings for desserts and other fatty carbs
- It improves insulin sensitivity, which assists your body in absorbing nutrients and turning carbohydrates into energy instead of having them accumulate as fat on your midriff
- Cupuacu contains a bit of caffeine, which keeps you energetic and alert, which is important when you are on a low calorie or low carbohydrate diet that makes most people feel a bit tired and fuzzy
- This tropical diet fruit contains a broad spectrum of nutrients including all of the B vitamins and most of the minerals you require to stay healthy every day
- It is also very high in Vitamin C, which reduces inflammation and ensures the health of the endocrine system that regulates weight gain
- It is rich in antioxidants, and like chocolate, reduces bad cholesterol and stimulates your circulation, helping you to stay healthy enough to exercise
- It contains flavenols that improve brain function and make you feel less fatigued so that you are more willing to exercise while you are on a low calorie diet
- Cupuacu is a great source of flavenols that helps relax your muscles so that recovery from working out is faster and less painful
- It is a great source of oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that is good for heart health, which helps support muscle growth and the fat-burning process
Method 1: By Replacing Meals With Cupuacu Fruit Smoothies
You can lose weight drinking cupuacu fruit smoothies by substituting a smoothie for two meals a day. By doing this, you are replacing a meal that might be between 700 and 1200 calories with a smoothie that is 300 calories or less. For some people this can result in a weight loss of a pound a day, especially if you follow the regimen for losing weight exactly. This is also a nutrient dense meal replacement program that you can stay on for as many days as you like without experiencing health consequences, mainly because the cupuacu fruit is so rich in the fatty acids that your brain and endocrine system need to experience optimum health.
- 1In the case of Cupuacu fruit, it could interfere with your medication or affect an existing medical condition. This tropical fruit is a bit higher in fat that most fruits and even though they are good fats, it may not be the right fruit for you to use as a diet aid if you have been prescribed a low fat diet especially if you suffer from fatty liver disease or have a high lipid count in your bloodstream. As this fruit is quite high in fiber it might irritate the intestines of people who suffer from irritable bowel syndrome. If a rapid heart beat or anxiety is an issue for you, keep in mind that this fruit also contains caffeine and theobromine, which can cause heart palpitations in those predisposed to them. Theobromine is also a mood elevator and may escalate certain psychological conditions to mania if taken with psychiatric drugs.Consult with your doctor before embarking on any diet that that involves calorie restriction and a limitation of food choices.Advertisement
- 3Filling up on lots of water, can also help you feel full and put off any hunger pangs. You can drink sparkling water and flavored waters without aspartame or sucralose, as these sweeteners can cause weight gain. The best water to drink is vapor distilled, which contains no minerals and is very purifying to cells. The more water that you drink, the more weight you can expect to lose.Be sure to have lots of bottled water on hand, as you will be drinking at least eight glasses of it every day.
- 4Allowed fruits include blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, guava and apples. These fruits are mild diuretics that are also very fibrous and high in Vitamin C. The almond milk and porridge supplies a bit of needed protein to your diet.For breakfast every day, drink a cupuacu fruit smoothie OR have a bowl of oatmeal with a bit of almond or coconut milk and two ounces of an allowed fruit.
- 5Proteins that are allowed on this diet include two ounces of any of the following foods: low-at cottage cheese, low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, feta cheese, Greek yogurt, shrimp, lean beef strips, chicken strips or canned tuna in wear. You may dress the salad with a splash of oil and vinegar. Recommended oils are coconut and olive oil and recommended vinegars are red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar. You can also add other vegetables, roasted, steamed or raw, to your salad as long as the entire calorie count of the meal-in-a-bowl below 300 calories. You can calculate the calories in your salads by yourself by using an online calorie calculator such as the one at My Fitness PalFor lunch every day, drink a cupuacu fruit smoothie OR eat a salad that contains at least cup of greens, one cup of mixed cut up fresh raw fresh vegetables and a half of a cup of a low fat protein.
- 6Low fat proteins that are allowed for dinner on this diet include shrimp, white fish, turkey, steak, chicken or oysters. If you do not eat meat, you can have two ounces of cottage cheese or an ounce of edam, blue cheese or gorgonzola cheese or an ounce of almonds, walnuts cashews or pecans with your meal. The calories in your dinner should add up to being in the 400 to 600 calorie range or even less.For dinner drink a cupuacu fruit smoothie OR eat four ounces of a low fat protein along with a cup of grilled or roasted vegetables dressed with a tablespoon of olive oil, canola oil or coconut oil.
- 7Apples are very filling nourishing and help the liver and intestines discharge toxins. Be sure to eat the apples with the peel on the fruit. Peel the tangerines and be sure to eat the white pulp ,which contains a great deal of Vitamin K that also promotes weight loss.For a snack, you are allowed up to three servings of one small apples or tangerine a day.
- 8This includes sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes and rice, all junk and snack foods and refined sweets such as packaged cookies, donuts cakes or ice cream. Avoid all artificial sweeteners, such as Splenda, Equal or Sugar Twin and all condiments that contain sugar, such as ketchup or relishes. Honey is allowed as long as you use minimal amounts of it, as in half of a teaspoon and as long as it is organic and cold pressed.Do not eat any foods that are not part of this cupuacu smoothie meal replacement plan.
- 9Strenuous exercise is not recommended on this diet because you are not consuming enough calories to fuel activities like weightlifting, racing or marathon hiking. This hour of exercise will also helps keep you in a good mood and clear up the foggy thinking that sometimes occur as the result of detoxifying for days on a low calorie diet.Engage in a mild form of exercise for at least one hour every day, A one-hour walk, bike ride or swim can help stimulate your metabolism and circulation, which is detoxifying and can help you lose weight.
- 10A lack of deep sleep can cause moodiness, cravings for fatty foods and physical and emotional stress. Take a nap during the day if you must to help you stay calm keep your blood sugar levels and nervous system in good working order.Make sure that you get at least eight hours of rest every night so that your body has the quiet time it needs to heal itself and reset your metabolism so that it works efficiently the next day.
- 11It is important to take care of your personal needs and put yourself first, as being on allow calorie diet that only also limits your food choices can also make you quite restless and irritable.Avoid emotional stress and toxic situations and people while you are trying to lose weight so that you are not triggered by the desire to stuff back your feelings with eating.
10 Cupuacu Diet Smoothies That Are Less Than 200 Calories
You can drink any of these nutritionally balanced smoothies as meal replacements for lunch or dinner as described above in the meal replacement diet that is described above.
- 1Mix a cup of chopped cucumber with a cup of frozen acai , the pulp of one large cupuacu fruit and a cup of ice in a blender. Sweeten the fruit with a tablespoon of raw organic honey and a dash of vanilla. Blend all of the ingredients until icy and smooth. Acai works synergistically with Acai to trigger quick weight loss and the cucumber acts as a diuretic to eliminate bloat and abdominal fat.Make a cleansing and refreshing Cupuacu, Acai and Cucumber smoothie that has only 80 calories per serving.
- 2Puree the pulp of one large cupuaco, a cup of strong cooled brewed black tea, a cup of ice, a teaspoon of liquid stevia and a teaspoon of organic cinnamon in a blender. Add two heaping tablespoons teaspoon of grated ginger in a blender. Blend all of the ingredients until smooth and frosty and then serve. This black tea in this smoothie is a potent diuretic and the ginger and the cinnamon help stimulate your circulation which is beneficial for optimizing the function of your metabolic and circulatory systems.Make a zero-fat Cupuaco, Ginger and Black Tea smoothie at 85 calories per serving.
- 3Blend together one cup of ice, one cup of coconut milk, ½ cup frozen or fresh cupuacu, 1/2 cup frozen or fresh sweet cherries and ½ cup of cacao powder. Add a tablespoon of Truvia and whirl everything together until frosty and smooth. This smoothie purifies the blood and helps support the hMake a Cupuacu, Sweet Cherry and Cacao smoothie, which is only 250 calories per serving.
- 1This filling smoothie is made with the pulp of one large cupuaco fruit, one chopped hot red chili pepper, ½ cup of plain Greek yogurt and a tablespoon of organic raw honey or Truvia. Chili is a fat-burning spice that helps jump start your metabolism so you can lose weight fast. It also stimulates your circulation and helps reduce inflammation in your joints. Both the cacao and the cupuacu contain enough theobromine to fuel a big workout, if you drink it beforehand. This drink is also a mood elevator that can help sustain you through some of the moodiness and fatigue that often accompanies being on a low calorie diet. If you do not have a red chili pepper on hand, you can use a Habanero or Jalapeno pepper or you can use a teaspoon of powdered chili pepper.Make a spicy Cupuaco Hot Chili and Cacao smoothie, which is only 185 calories per serving.
- 2Combine a half cup of frozen peaches two peaches, a small whole peeled frozen banana, ½ cup of coconut milk, ½ cup of ice and two drops of liquid Stevia in a blender. Blend everything together until smooth and frosty. The mellow sweet flavors of bananas and peaches help go very well with the cupuaco. This is a shake that is very high in Vitamin A and that assists your body with cell renewal and the detoxification of the liver and kidneys, which in turn improves the function of your thyroid and adrenal glands. This smoothie will allow you to be more active in general, which helps promote weight loss.Make a rich and creamy Cupuaco, Banana, and Peach smoothie that is only 140 calories per serving.
- 3Combine a cup of ice, a ½ cup of vanilla almond milk, the pulp of a whole cupuacu fruit and a cup of frozen strawberries in a blender. Whir all of the ingredients together until frosty and thick and then drink. This is a nice substitute for fattier foods because it tastes like Neapolitan ice cream. Both strawberries and cupuacu are very high in healing Vitamin C, which is necessary for quick cell repair and reducing the inflammation that prevents weight loss. The almond milk in this recipe contains essential fatty acids and protein, which helps you stay energetic in a good mood while you are dieting.Make a Cupuaco, Strawberry, Passion Fruit and Vanilla Almond milk smoothie at 160 calories per serving.
- 4Combine the pulp of two large tangerines, the pulp of one cupuaco fruit, a cup of unsweetened rice milk, a dash of vanilla and a cup of ice in a blender. Mix all of the ingredients together until smooth. This smoothie is very rich in Vitamin C, which assists with metabolism and the tightening of skin that is sagging because of rapid weight gain. Rice milk has more starch and calories than other types of milks, making this smoothie well suited to fueling a workout.Make a Cupuaco, Tangerine, and Rice Milk smoothie at 199 calories per serving.
- 5Combine one cup of pineapple, one cup of ice, a small frozen banana, the pulp of one large cupuaco fruit and a squeeze of fresh lime juice with one cup of coconut milk in a blender. Add a tablespoon of liquid stevia and blend until smooth. This smoothie is high in Vitamin C and iron and can help prevent the fatigue and hair loss that can sometimes be part of dieting. The banana is a great source of potassium that helps get rid of excess sodium in the blood, which can cause bloating and a larger waistline.Make a Cupuacu Fruit Pina Colada at 170 calories.
- 6Crush a cup of ice, a cup of cacao powder, ¼ cup of Truvia Sweetener, a cup of coconut milk and the pulp of one cupuaco fruit in a blender. Mix until smooth and then pour into glasses to drink. This tasty smoothie and can satisfy a craving for chocolate puddings and ice creams and spare you from eating empty, non-nutritious calories. Both cupuacu and cacao contain theobromine, which is a natural anti-depressant.Make a Cupuaco, Cacao and Avocado at 180 calories per serving.
- 7Crush together a cup of ice, a cup of chopped pear, a cup of sweetened vanilla almond milk, the pulp of one guava and the pulp of one cupuacu in a blender. Mix until smooth and then pour it into glasses and drink. This is an exceptionally high fiber smoothie that flattens the abdomen by cleaning out the intestines. The flavors of cupuaco, guava and pear are all complimentary and the texture of the three fruits will create a naturally creamy and sweet smoothie. If it does not taste sweet enough you can add a touch of honey or Truvia sweetener to the fruits and nut milk in the blender.Make a Cupuaco, Guava and Pear Smoothie at 210 calories per serving.
Method 2: By Adding Raw Cupuacu Your Daily Diet
The cupuacu has an odd smooth, yet fibrous texture that makes it quite difficult to cook with or use as a stand-alone ingredient in a salad, however it can be used in the following ways so that you can take advantage of some it's nutritional benefits.
- 1Puree the cupuacu fruits in a blender until smooth with a tablespoon of honey or Truvia. Pour over pound cake, ice cream or a tropical fruit salad. The puree can also be added to cupcake and muffin recipes to up the fiber content of the baked goods.Make a cupuacu puree to pour over salads or desserts.Advertisement
- 2Soften two packets of Knox gelatin in two cups of warm water. In a blender, mix together the a cup of pureed mango, the pulp of one large cupuacu, two packets of gelatin softened in a cup of hot water, 1 cup of yogurt and 1 tablespoon of liquid stevia. Blend until smooth and pour into a mold. Chill for at least for hours and unmold or serve in pudding cups with strawberry slices or sprigs of mint. This is much lower in calories and cholesterol than mousses that are typically made with eggs and cream.Make a Cupuacu, Yogurt and Mango mousse.
- 3Mix together ½ cup of spring water, the pulp of one cupuaco, a tablespoon of cacao, one whole frozen banana, two tablespoons of Truvia or sugar and a half cup of frozen coconut milk into a container and freeze it for at least two hours. After the two hours is up disturb the sorbet with a spoon and mix it again and then let it freeze until solid. This should take about another two hours. This makes a very sweet and delicate sorbet that has a banana and chocolate taste with a hint of pear.Make a low-fat Cupuacu, Cacao and Banana sorbet.
- 4In a cocktail shaker muddle together ½ cup of ice, ½ cup of cupuacu puree, an ounces of vodka and an ounce of kahlua. Serve on the rocks in a tall glass,Garnish the martini with a sprig of mint, a slice of pear and a strawberry.[[Image:dds_27215.jpg]|center|frame|Cupuaco puree or juice goes well in chocolate based alcoholic drinks.]Make a Cupuacu and Kahlua martini.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Note that almost all Cupuacu is organic and picked wild as it not mass farmed as much as acai, cacao and other superfruits from the Amazon
- The amount of pulp you might be able to get out of a cupuacu fruit can greatly vary from fruit to fruit so some time you might have to use more than one fruit to get the amount needed in a recipe
- Store the cupuacu fruit in a dark cool place until you are ready to use it and avoid putting it in the refrigerator, which encourages its internal structure to break down
- In some areas you may not be able to buy cupuacu fruit in any other form but frozen, in which case one cup of frozen cupuacu pulp is equal to the pulp of one fresh fruit
- To extract the cupuacu pulp from the fruit, cut the fruit in half with a large sharp knife and then scoop the flesh from the large segmented areas inside (they resemble large grapefruit segments)
- The seeds of the fruit are beans made into a tasty butter that is mixed with sugar, the same way cacao beans are melted down to make chocolate
- Nut milks, coconut milk and rice milk are all interchangable in the cupuacu weight loss smoothie recipes above with a minimum of change in calories
- To reduce the calorie count of any smoothie made with a nut milk, substitute coconut milk instead.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight with Cupuacu. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Cupuacu
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight with Cupuacu." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Cupuacu Accessed 26 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight with Cupuacu." Accessed Apr 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Cupuacu.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna