Lose Weight with Cilantro and Coriander By Drinking Cilantro Leaf And Coriander Seed Teas vs Eating Cilantro Leaf Pesto Every Day vs Replacing Meals With Cilantro Leaf Smoothies ... and 2 more
Edited by Donna, Eng, Doug Collins
The Benefits of Weight Loss With Cilantro and Coriander
Cilantro and Coriander describe the same common culinary herb with the name cilantro referring to the leafy plant in the early stage of it's life, before it blossoms and the term coriander describing the seeds that result after the plant has bloomed and gone into the second stage of it's development. In grocery stores you may find the leaf herb sold under both names and the seed sold as cilantro seed or cilantro powder. You might also find it sold with the name Chinese Parsley.
Both the leafy parts and seeds of this plant are very high in nutrition, while at the same time super low in calories and fat-free, which makes it an excellent food to eat if you are trying to lose weight. Both cilantro leaf and the seeds are natural diuretics that help the body eliminate excess water, giving you a trimmer, leaner appearance, especially around the abdominal area.
Cilantro leaf and seeds help you lose weight because:
- Both the leaf and seeds of this common herb are powerful natural diuretics that detoxify the kidneys, liver and tissues, reducing bloat and water retention and helping you to lose weight fast
- Both the seeds and leaf contain constituents that help stabilize blood sugar and lower high blood sugar, thus giving it the nickname "the anti-diabetic herb"
- Cilantro leaf contains a bit of protein, which stabilizes blood sugar levels and helps you to feel fuller until it is time to have the next meal
- Both the seeds and the leaf are a digestive aid that helps restore your natural gut flora and helps your entire system digest food more effectively
- Cilantro leaf and coriander seeds contain an oil that helps to eliminate yeast, fungus and bacterial infections that might be affecting your gut's ability to absorb nutrients, which in turn causes cravings, inflammation and high toxicity levels that make it almost impossible to lose weight
- Both the leaf and the seeds have the ability to lower high blood pressure and lower high cholesterol levels , thus helping your circulatory system and metabolism to work more efficiently
- Both the leaf and seeds of this herb contain Vitamin E, which helps sustain the health of the pituitary, the master gland that regulates your metabolism and also prevents loose skin from occurring as the result of rapid weight loss
- Both the seeds and leaf contain polyphenols that support the elimination of fat cells from the liver, thus aiding individuals with fatty liver disease to get rid of fat deposits faster as they diet
- The seeds and the leaf are very high in potassium which helps reduce stress on your liver and kidneys so that you are less likely to suffer from water retention and the bloating that comes with it
- Both cilantro leaf and coriander seeds contain calcium, magnesium and manganese, minerals that are helpful in treating the insomnia and anxiety that often plagues dieters and helps them get the rest they need at night so they can are better able to lose weight
- The high iron content in cilantro leaf and coriander seeds helps purify the blood and support the function of the kidney and liver, thus promoting weight loss
- Cilantro leaf and coriander seed are very rich vitamins that support the health of the immune system and endocrine system including vitamins A, C and K, which in turn promotes and efficient working metabolism weight loss
- With the exception of B12 and biotin, both the seeds and the leaf contain a broad spectrum of B vitamins, almost making it a whole food
- Cilantro leaf is the ideal diet food for those on low calorie diets as it contains on 2 calories per half of a cup and yet still provides a great deal of nutrition and flavor
- Cilantro leaf causes you to lose weight because it takes more energy to digest it then it does to actually eat it, defining it as a negative calorie food
- Cilantro leaf is very high in fat-soluble Vitamin A, retinol, alpha-carotene and beta carotene which helps support the health of the liver
- Cilantro is also high in Lutein, zeaxanthin and cryptoxanthin, which not only help prevent blindness, but also support the health of the tinier blood vessels, thus preventing cellulite, bloating, diabetic neuropathy and other problems experienced by overweight people
- One cup of chopped fresh cilantro leaf contains 3% of our daily requirement for Vitamin C, which supports the health of the entire body, but especially the endocrine system that supports metabolism
- The high vitamin K level in cilantro leaf, at 3% of your daily requirement per half of a cup helps thin the blood, lower cholesterol and improve circulation, which in helps your body metabolize carbohydrates into fuel instead of fat
- Cilantro leaf is very high in folate, which helps your body convert carbohydrates into fuel instead of fat, keeps your bloodstream renewing and repairing itself and keeps your hair and skins stay healthy while you are dieting
- Cilantro leaf is very high in quercetin, which helps lower cholesterol and high blood pressure and keeps your metabolism working in an efficient manner
- Cilantro leaf is high in fiber and helps to clean waste out of the colon, which in turn, helps you achieve a flatter looking tummy
- Cilantro Leaf contains chlorophyll, which is a very potent detoxifier of all cells and prevents the kind of inflammation that discourages exercise and causes weight gain
Method 1: By Drinking Cilantro Leaf And Coriander Seed Teas
Cilantro Leaf tea helps you lose weight because it is a powerful diuretic high in vitamins, antioxidants and potassium. You can buy cilantro leaf tea in tea bag form or as loose leaves or you can make the tea from the fresh leaves you have purchased at the market or grocery store.
Be sure to consult with your doctor before using cilantro leer or coriander tea to lose weight. The tea may not be suitable for those who suffer from dehydration due to medication or a medical condition, as the tea makes you lose even more water. Cilantro leaf tea also lowers your blood sugar and your blood pressure, which may interfere with medications that you might already be taking to lower your those levels. You should also not drink too much cilantro tea if you are expecting to have surgery, as it can lower your blood sugar or blood pressure levels while you are under anesthesia and cause complications.
To make cilantro tea from a tea bag or dried leaves:
- 1Cilantro tea is available in most health food stores because it is recognized as an effective weight loss aid.[[Image:Lose Weight with Cilantro and Coriander_81438.jpg\center|frame|Pour 1 cup of water over a cilantro leaf tea bag.]Pour 1 cup of boiling water over one cilantro teabag or a tablespoon of dried loose cilantro leaves.Advertisement
To make cilantro tea from fresh leaves
- 2If you want a stronger brew, then steep it for longer. This means that the tea may not be very hot, but you can always wrap it in a kitchen towel or cover it with a tea cozy to keep it warmer. You can also add this tea to a stronger tea that you also like to drink. Coriander leaf tea also goes great with ginger tea, peppermint tea, Earl gray tea and Chai. Simply mix the brew that you have made with the fresh minced leaf with a cup of your regular tea to enjoy it this way.Pour 2 cups of boiling water over the freshly chopped and let it steep for about twenty minutes.
- 3This can mean that you are becoming dehydrated or that the fresh tea has caused your blood sugar or blood pressure to lower to unhealthy levels. For this reason, it is best not to drink more than one cup of this tea a day.Most people can drink this tea every day without any particular side effect besides the desired excessive urination but if dizziness occurs as a symptom, stop taking it.
To make coriander tea from seeds:
- 1Coriander seeds are widely available all over the world. Do not buy ground coriander powder, as it does not contain the volatile oils or flavor needed to make an effective weight loss brew.Purchase a box or packet whole coriander seeds from the spice section of your grocery store or health food store.
- 2Your intention here is to apply pressure to the seeds so that they crack a bit so that they will release their volatile oil compounds once the boiling water is poured on them. You can also grind them up a bit with a mortar and pestle.Place the whole coriander seeds in a bowl and mash them with the underside of a spoon.
- 4Coriander seed tea can be strong and can also be added to other teas or juices and served cold over ice. It goes well with citrus juices, cranberry juices, black tea and green tea. It particular suits orange flavors like blood orange, tangerine or sweet orange.Have a cup of Coriander seed tea every day to lose weight.
Method 2: By Eating Cilantro Leaf Pesto Every Day
Cilantro pesto is more than just a topping for noodles, a spread for toast or a dip for chips. Eating just two tablespoons of it, even straight from the bowl, can help you lose two pounds a week. Note that you should stop eating this pesto within two weeks of having surgery as it can cause your blood sugar to drop during surgery.
To lose weight with Cilantro pesto:
- 1Macerate all of the ingredients together and blend until you have a lumpy paste. If the mixture seems too thick, add a little bit of cilantro to the mix to help make it thinner.In a food processor, whirl together one cup of fresh cilantro, six tablespoons of olive oil, six cloves of garlic, a half a cup of almonds or cashews and two tablespoons of lemon or lime juice in a blender.Advertisement
Method 3: By Replacing Meals With Cilantro Leaf Smoothies
To lose weight by drinking cilantro leaf smoothies, you will need to replace at least one meal a day with one of the smoothies listed below. All of the cilantro weight-loss smoothies listed below are below 200 calories and some are even below 100 calories. Depending on which meal that you choose to replace, you can save yourself about 7000 calories in a week which equates to being two pounds of weight loss a week. If you replace two meals a day with a coriander smoothie, you can lose up to five pounds or even more in a week.
Note that this dietary approach fits into the category of crash-dieting because it involves a big reduction in your daily calorie intake. It is a good idea to consult with your physician before you embark on any type of diet that limits your caloric intake. This is not a suitable diet regimen for pregnant women or people with eating disorders.
Each of the recipes below creates a twelve ounce serving and is 200 calories or less.
- 1Blend together 1 cup of ice , ½ cup of unsweetened orange juice, 2 tablespoons of grated ginger, 1 tablespoon of flax seeds, 2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in a blender and blend until frothy and pourable. The ginger stimulates your circulation, which in turn enables your metabolism to work more efficiently so that you can lose the pounds more efficiently. Both the lemon and orange is rich in Vitamin C and zinc, which helps deal with inflammation and weight gain due to infections and bloating.Make a Cilantro, Lemon and Ginger Smoothie at 65 calories.Advertisement
- 2Blend together ½ a cup of chopped coriander, 1 cup of chopped raw beet, 2 chopped carrots, 2 chopped small radish, two garlic clove sand a hot minced Serrano chili pepper. Whirl all of the ingredients together in a blender with a cup of ice until smooth and season with iodized salt and ground pepper. The spicier ingredients in this smoothie stimulate your circulation and help you lose weight. The beets and carrots in this smoothie are a bit higher in glucose than other smoothies making it the ideal one to drink if you need the energy to fuel a workout or jogging. The iodized salt in the recipe helps support the function of the thyroid.Make a Spicy Coriander, Beet and Carrot smoothie at 75 calories per serving.
- 3Blend together a handful of cilantro, a handful of mint, the flesh of one whole chopped papaya, ¼ cup of fresh squeezed orange juice and a cup of ice until smooth and frosty. Papaya reduces inflammation everywhere in the body and along with the mint and cilantro leaf acts as a diuretic that helps you lose water weight, which makes you look trimmer, especially around the waist. This smoothie is also very high in Vitamin A, which helps support your liver function.Make a Cilantro, Papaya and Mint smoothie at 80 calories per serving.
- 4Blend together 1 cup of raw frozen unsweetened cranberries with ½ cup of chopped cilantro leaves, a handful of baby spinach, the juice of one whole lemon and a teaspoon of honey. Blend everything together until smooth and frosty. Cranberries are very high in Vitamin C and act as a diuretic and anti-inflammatory. Cranberries also support kidney function, which helps purify the blood and keep your metabolism acting at an optimum level. The other ingredients in this smoothie are also diuretics that assist with ridding the body of excess water and toxins and the honey fights inflammation and infection that can cause tummy bloating.Make a Cilantro, Cranberry and Lemon Smoothie at 85 calories a serving.
- 5Blend together 1 cup chopped kale leaves, 1 cup of tangerine segments , 1 cup of chopped celery, a ½ cup of chopped cilantro and ¼ cup of fresh mint. Add one cup of ice and whirl everything together until smooth. Every ingredient in this cilantro leaf weight loss beverage is a diuretic. This smoothie also contains natural sodium, potassium and other minerals that support the healthy functioning of the thyroid, which in turn supports weight loss efforts.Make a Cilantro, Tangerine, Celery and Kale smoothie at 95 calories.
- 6Blend together half a cup of chopped cilantro leaf, ½ of medium avocado, the flesh of an entire guava, 1 small frozen banana, and 1 cup of ice and whirl it all together until smooth. Guavas are high in Vitamin A and C and fiber, which supports the function of the endocrine glands and the liver. The avocado is a source of essential fatty acids, which helps your pituitary glands function optimally and it also adds a creaminess to the smoothie so that you are craving sugar and fat.Make a Cilantro, Guava and Avocado smoothie at 110 calories per serving.
- 7Add one cup of ice to a blender. Then add ½ of a tomato, 1 chopped medium green or yellow pepper, ¼ cup chopped cucumber, ¼ cup chopped red pepper, ½ medium avocado, a tablespoon of chopped red Spanish onions and ¼ cup of chopped cilantro leaf. You can also season this mixture with a teaspoon of dill pickle juice, a tablespoon of sauerkraut or a dash of hot sauce. Whirl everything together and season with salt and pepper Ever ingredient in this vegetable smoothie is rich in antioxidants, high in Vitamin C and a potent diuretic, thus helping you to shed water weight. The avocado adds a bit of healthy fat to your smoothie to support brain function and keep you feeling full add energetic while dieting.Make a Hot and Spicy Cilantro Gazpacho at 115 calories per serving.
- 8Blend together one cup each of chopped kale, celery and fresh apple juice. Add the juice of one lemon, 1 cup of water, 1 cup of ice and ½ cup of chopped cilantro leaf. Blend it all together until it looks like a thick shake. This smoothie is a potent diuretic as all of the ingredients can help you shed water weight and make your abdomen look flatter. Do not used canned apple juice. Make sure it is fresh and organic or your smoothie will have a tinny taste and also have less nutrients. Kale supplies your thyroid with all of the minerals it needs to ensure healthy and regulated weight loss.Make a Cilantro, Kale, Apple and Celery Smoothie at 120 calories.
- 9Blend together ½ cup of chopped cilantro, the flesh of one large mango, 1 frozen banana, a cup of ice and a dash of lemon juice in a blender and whirl everything together until smooth. Papaya are an excellent source of Vitamin A and along with the cilantro, it helps kill bacteria and yeast in the gut that may be related to bloating and weight gain. This smoothie is also a potent anti-inflammatory that keeps your joints clear of uric acid, thus making it easier for you to exercise so that you can lose weight.Make a Cilantro, Mango and Banana smoothie at 130 calories per serving.
- 10Blend together a half a cup of ice cubes, a ½ cup of apple juice, a ½ cup of chopped cilantro, the segments of an entire pink grapefruit and a handful of ice. Whirl all of the ingredients together until smooth. This smoothie is exceptionally high in Vitamin C, helping reduce inflammation in the body and promoting the efficiency of your metabolism. The yogurt provides the protein that you need to feel full until the next meal and the apple juice provides soluble fiber, which helps clean out your intestines.Make a Cilantro, Apple and Grapefruit Smoothie at 140 calories.
- 11Put 1 cup of distilled water, a handful of ice cubes, 1 frozen banana, ½ cup of cilantro, the juice of a whole lime, a teaspoon of honey or Truvia and a dash of sea salt in a blender. Blend all of the ingredients together to make a frosty shake. The banana adds a creamy texture and helps you feel full until the next meal. The coconut oil supplies you with long chain fatty acids that keep your endocrine system and nervous system in good working order.Make a Cilantro, Lime and Coconut Oil smoothie at 170 calories.
- 12Blend together ½ a cup of chopped cilantro, ½ cup of frozen pineapple chunks, ½ cup of frozen mango chunks, the juice of a whole lime, 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and a dash of sea salt. Whirl all of the ingredients together until the beverage is smooth and frosty. The pineapple contains bromelain, a powerful digestive aid and the mango is a very high source of Vitamin A. This smoothie supports weight loss because it helps to get rid of inflammation in the joints, kidneys and pancreas and help the liver dispose of fatty deposits. The coconut oil in this recipe also helps with mood and supports joint and muscle mobility, which helps you lose weight because you will feel like exercising more often.Make a Cilantro, Pineapple and Mango smoothie at 160 calories.
Method 4: By Adding More Cilantro Leaf to Your Daily Diet
Adding fresh cilantro leaf to your diet every day is a great way to take advantage of the healing constituents and weight loss benefits that it has to offer. The best kid of cilantro to use is organic, which can be found at most health food markets and at some grocery stores and Asian and Mexican specialty food markets. Here are some ways to enjoy a fresh cilantro dish every day.
- 2This is a garnish made from equal parts of chopped raw garlic, minced garlic and lemon zest. Sprinkle the gremolata over braised or roasted meats, seafood or vegetables periodically while they are cooking and soon everything melds together to create a soft crusty topping and sauce for what you are cooking. Gremolata is healthy because it is a potent anti-inflammatory and immune booster that assists fights inflammation. It also contains chromium which helps keep high blood sugar and high blood pressure in check.Make an Eastern influenced non- traditional Italian gremolata.
- 3Heat two cups of milk, ½ cup of chopped cilantro, 1 chopped white onion, four ounces of butter and a tablespoon of flour in a saucepan Season with ten whole peppercorns and keeping stirring the mixture over low heat until it thickens becomes creamy. This slightly lemony could be served over any type of meat vegetable and would be especially good served over turkey, chicken, white fishes, rice or as a sauce for a low calorie glucomannan pasta.Make a creamy cilantro sauce to pour over meat, fish or vegetables.
- 4Combine two tablespoons of tahini with the juice of 1 lemon, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil, ¼ cup of hot water and ¼ cup of chopped cilantro in a sauce pan. Cook over low heat and stir constantly for about eight minutes until the mixture thickens. You can serve this sauce hot or cold over all kinds of vegetables, meats or fish. It adds a bit of an Asian flair to steamed asparagus.Make a Cilantro, Garlic and Lemon sauce to pour over roasted or steamed meat and vegetables.
- 5In a bit of butter or olive oil, sauté two cups of spinach with a cup of cilantro, two tablespoons of chopped garlic and a white bean type such as navy beans or coriander beans. Stir until the spinach is wilted and everything is cooked until firm and then season the dish with salt and pepper and serve. The Italian name for this dish is puttanesca and steak or sausage is also sometimes added to the dish..Make a traditional Cilantro, White Bean and Spinach stir fry.
- 7Combine ¼ cup each of minced cilantro, mint, parsley, garlic, ginger, scallions, minced hot chilies and white onion. Add a cup of chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers and red bell pepper to the mixture. Season the salad with the zest of 2 lemons, a dash of ground cinnamon, and a dash each of salt and pepper. Blend all of the ingredients together so that all of the flavors meld together and serve. Every ingredient in this salad is chock full of the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that promote weight loss. The chili peppers and cinnamon powder in this salad boost the circulation so that it is easier for your system metabolize fats.[[Image:cr888_55700.jpg|center|frame|A tabbouleh salad made with coriander.]Make a Spicy Minced Coriander Tabbouleh Salad.
- 8Fill the glass with ginger beer and serve with a wedge of pineapple or a cinnamon stick.Make a Coconut, Ginger and Cilantro cocktail, also sometimes called a Cilantro Moscow Mule In a tall glass filled with ice, muddle together five sprigs of cilantro, 3 lime wedges, an ounce of pineapple juice and an ounce of coconut rum.
Method 5: By Adding More Coriander Seeds to Your Diet
Here are some ways to add more coriander seeds to your diet in order to take advantage of their weight loss and other health benefits.
- 1Coriander seeds add a bit of heat and lemony flavor to every dish and when you are able to always grind the whole peppercorns like this, you are sure to enjoy the weight loss benefits of the volatile oils from the freshly cracked seeds. Coriander can also add enough heat and flavor to your food to help you use less regular salt, which is beneficial for your liver and kidneys and helps promote weight loss.Put the whole coriander seeds inside of a pepper mill and then use it often to add ground coriander to your foods, just like you would salt or pepper.
- 3Combine vanilla soy milk, honey, coriander and cinnamon in a saucepan and stir over low heat until hot. This drink relieves anxiety, muscle cramps and depression and also helps remedy the insomnia that often accompanies dieting. Regular cow's milk or any type o nut milk can also be substituted for the soy milk in this recipe. This nourishing drink also provides a quick source of protein while at the same time stimulating the circulation.Make a traditional hot Cilantro drink to calm your nerves.
- 4The coriander seeds will impart a subtle pleasant flavor to the meal and you can use the water brewed in the seeds to make sauces and dressings, or simply drink it as a tea later.Add coriander seed to steaming waters when steaming fish, rice or vegetables.
- 6Coriander seeds go especially well with dressings made with rice vinegar, citrus juices, sesame oil, balsamic vinegars and soy sauce. They also augment green goddess style dressings that have a and avocado base.Add whole coriander seeds to any dressing that you make to add a spicy, lemony flavor to your dressing.
- 7Heat 1 cup of honey with three tablespoons of coriander seeds and bring to a boil. The mixture will thicken to make a syrup. Chill the syrup in the refrigerator until it is cool enough to use in a beverage. Combine two ounce of orange liquor, such as Cointreau with an ounce of dry while vermouth, two ounces of the coriander and honey syrup and a dash of bitters in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously and then pour over ice. Garnish with lemon or orange slices and a sprig of coriander and serve.Make a Coriander, Orange and Honey cocktail.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Choose cilantro leaves that are a deep emerald green in color and avoid buying cilantro with brown leaves as it will rot very fast
- Buy whole coriander seeds rather than coriander powder as the powder loses its flavor quickly and might also be cut with other substances
- You can make your own coriander powder by using a spice grinder, coffee grinder or mortar and pestle to crack the seeds open and release the oils
- Coriander seeds should be stored in an airtight container in a cool dark place where the whole seeds will keep for a year
- Do not use coriander seeds that appear grey or moldy or that are wet to the touch after being stored for a long period of time.
- Cilantro leaf should be ideally stored inside a plastic bag that is then placed inside a plastic tub with a lid and this will help the herb stay fresh for about a week
- If the roots of the Cilantro plant are still attached when you buy it you can enjoy eating fresh cilantro for weeks by sticking the whole plant in a glass of water an keeping it in the refrigerator
- You can chop up cilantro leaves and freeze them in airtight containers or bags for later use
- To use cilantro leaves quickly at a later date, you can freeze them with a bit of water or soup stock in ice cube trays and pop them out for use in soups, stews and smoothies
- Be aware that the high amounts of Vitamin K in coriander seeds and cilantro leaf is a natural blood thinner that can interfere with the effects of blood thinning drugs.
- If you are allergic to fennel, dill or caraway, then it is possible that you are allergic to cilantro seeds or leaf.
Questions and Answers
Not able to lose weight. What is the issue with my body? Exercising is also not helping?
I am not able to reduce my weight since last 2 months. I'm too frustrated with this. My weight does not go down even 500 grams. What is the problem?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight with Cilantro and Coriander. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Cilantro_and_Coriander
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight with Cilantro and Coriander." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Cilantro_and_Coriander Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight with Cilantro and Coriander." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_with_Cilantro_and_Coriander.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna