Lose Weight with Black Salsify By Drinking Black Salsify Root Tea' vs Adding Black Salsify Root to Your Daily Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Anonymous
Black Salsify, also known as Spanish Salsify, is a plant with a very nutritious root that helps combat weight gain due to insulin resistance and metabolic disorders. The long thin black root is the only part of the plant that is eaten and it gets its name from the fact that the skin covering the very long thin roots is black. The flesh inside this complex carbohydrate is white. It is a member of the Sunflower family that also goes by the names of Serpent root, Viper's Grass and Black Oyster plant. The taste of the root is nutty and sweet and it can be eaten raw or cooked.
The more of this nutritious, fibrous root that you can include in your diet, the more weight you wall loose.
The root of Black Salsify promotes weight loss because:
- It contains a special weight loss factor called insulin that slows the release of glucose into the bloodstream and prevents your body from turning sugar and carbs into fat
- It contains a special group of antioxidants known as poly-acetylenes that help kill off candida yeast and fungal infections in the gut that could be causing bloating and cause your intestines to have trouble absorbing nutrients
- The proteins this vegetable promotes the building of lean muscle mass, which burns more calories than the flab that comes along with being overweight and obese, thus helping to end the vicious cycle of weight gain
- This is a negative calorie food that contains 73 calories per 100 gram serving, which makes it an ideal weight loss food because it takes more calories to digest it than it does to consume it
- It is very rich in fiber, which in turn helps eliminate waste and fat from the digestive system and colon
- It is a great source of iron and folate, which helps maintain the health of your liver, the endocrine system and the cardiovascular system, preventing age-related weight gain
- It is a bitter root that helps flush out the liver and gallbladder, helping your entire system to work more efficiently when it comes to weight loss and also helping to prevent fatty liver disease
- It is rich in antioxidant compounds that help prevent heart disease and also prevent skin from sagging due to extreme weight loss
- The plant is extraordinarily rich in potassium with 35.3 milligrams per 100 grams, helping your body to flush out sodium and water and reduce bloating
- The high potassium content in the root also helps you recover quickly after exercise, which allows you to exercise more often, with less pain and or a longer period of time
- It is a root that is very high in all of the B vitamins, which supports the health of your liver, preventing fatty liver disease and the general health of your metabolism
- It is rich in Vitamin E, which supports the health of the brain, thyroid and nervous system and also prevents your skin from developing stretch marks due to fast weight loss
- It contains a high amount of Vitamin C, which helps prevent weight gain due to inflammation
- The root is high in calcium, which is beneficial for muscle function and nerve health and helps flush toxins out of the body
- The root is also a potent diuretic, helping to flush fat and toxins out of all organs of the body, but especially out of the liver, kidneys and the gall bladder
Method 1: By Drinking Black Salsify Root Tea'
Drinking a strong tea made from the brewed roots of the Black Salsify plant every day, at least twice a day, can help you lose two pounds or more of weight a week. The vitamin and mineral rich brew also contains polyphenols and antioxidants that optimize the fat-burning abilities of your metabolism, helping it to operate more efficiently and helping you to shed pounds and inches fast.
- 3Drink a cup of this Black Salsify weight loss tea twice a day every day until you have reached your weight loss goal.You may drink this tea once or twice a week, which should result in weight loss. Be sure to drink a lot of water, ideally up to ten cups a day, when drinking this tea as it is a strong diuretic. The extra water you drink can help flush toxins out of your tissues.
Method 2: By Adding Black Salsify Root to Your Daily Diet
Here are ways to include Black Salsify root in your diet so that you can benefit from them as a weight loss aid.
- 2Chop up Black Salsify root and serve it on it is own boiled or roasted and chopped, mashed or sliced into coins.It is a vegetable that is very similar to a carrot or a parsnip, and you can serve it in much the same ways that you would those vegetables. It is traditional in Italy to serve the root roasted and then pureed, as a soupy mash that is then topped with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 3Mash boiled Black Salsify root with other root vegetables and serve.Black Salsify root combines well with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, cauliflower and squash. If you are glycemic but like mashed potatoes, you can lower, the starchy effect of the food by mashing them together with boiled Salsify root and risk less of a rise in your blood sugar.
- 5Chop up the roasted root into slivers and add it to miso soup.This is one of the simplest and most filling ways to enjoy the weight-loss benefits of the soup that is full of protein and very cleansing for the liver. It also helps to tide you over until it is time to have your next meal.[[Image:mis_29679.jpg|Salsify and bok choy in miso soup.]
- 1Add the chopped Black Salsify root to soups, chilies, curries and stews.The slightly sweet and earthy flavor of the root greatly compliments many savory dishes. It goes extremely well with beef and lamb. As it is a natural starch blocker, the root also helps to block any excessive sugar and sodium that might be in your cooking.
- 2Make a Cream of Black Salsify Root soup.In a six quart pot combine four cups of fresh chopped Black Salsify root, three tablespoons of unsalted butter, two cloves of chopped garlic, 1 chopped yellow onion, 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock, 1 cup of heavy cream, a half cup of white wine and the juice of one lemon. Simmer all of the ingredients for about one hour until cooked and then puree it all in a blender until smooth. This is a great way to get a serving of insulin, the natural starch blocker that helps lower your blood sugar.
- 3Make a potent Black Salsify and Garlic weight loss soup.All of the ingredients in this weight loss soup are high in fiber and anti-inflammatory agents that can help prevent weight loss. In a soup pot, combine two cups of chopped Black Salsify, three chopped yellow onions, one small chopped apple, ten large chopped garlic cloves, a cup of red lentils, a cup of cream, a tablespoon of ground cumin, a dash of olive oil and salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste. Simmer to a boil, turn the mixture on oil and cook for an hour. You can puree this into a smooth soup before serving with a bit of parsley or grated Parmesan cheese or you can serve it as a thinner broth with chopped vegetables in it.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Although it is a bit more difficult to do this when buying a rustic root vegetable such as Black Salsify you should always attempt to buy organic, whenever possible
- Select a firm, straight solid root with no knobby areas or warps and do not buy roots with green or yellow discolorations or blemishes
- Black salsify is best stored away from other vegetables in a cool dry place, preferably a root cellar, but if this is not available, then you can try storing it in the refrigerator
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna