Lose Weight with Apples
Edited by Donna, Eng, Doug Collins
The Benefits Of Eating Apples to Achieve Weight Loss
Losing weight by including apples in your diet consists of two components each with different goals:
- 1Eating nothing but raw apples for three days.This regimen, which can be extended to five days, but no longer, is also called The Apple Diet, The Apple Cleanse or The 3-Day Apple Detox. Weight loss occurs because of calorie deprivation. One medium apple contains roughly 120 calories, but it is also a good source of protein, Vitamin C, Vitamin K and the amino acids that help build protein. Apples are also rich in B1, B2, B6, Biotin, Vitamin A, Beta-carotene and Vitamin E. They are also rich in all of the minerals except for chloride and iodine, which are replaced in the diet by the addition of salt, which contains both.Advertisement
- 2Eating at least three raw apples a day before meals for as long as you like.Apples can be eaten every day on a continual basis because the pectin and natural fiber in the apples acts as a natural carb blocker and cleanser of the digestive system. The more apples you eat, the less likely you are to binge on snack foods.Advertisement
Eating apples to lose weight works because:
- The high amounts of chromium and quercetin in apples stabilize blood sugar and help prevent hunger and cravings
- They contain enzyme inhibitors that act as naturally carb blockers helping your body to digest sugars in a slow way that prevents blood sugar swings and encourages the body to use food for fuel, instead of stockpiling sugars as fat
- Apples contain polyphenols that stimulate the pancreas to produce insulin so that calories are processed properly and not turned into body fat
- Raw apples contain soluble fiber that lowers fat I the blood and lowers cholesterol, thus causing weight loss
- Apples inspire positive bacterial changes in the large intestine that help it work more efficiently when it comes to nutrient absorption and daily body detoxification
How to Do The Three Day Apple Cleansing Detox Diet
You can expect to lose between two and five pounds in three days by following this cleansing crash diet.
- 1Always check with your doctor before embarking on a diet with limited food choices.This is especially important if you have a chronic health condition like diabetes or are taking medications.Advertisement
- 3Shop for beverages you are allowed on the diet.I This includes chamomile tea, mint tea, black tea and green tea. t is important to stay well-hydrated and drink at least eight glasses of water a day. You can also have any type of water: spring waters, sparkling waters and flavored waters that do not aspartame or sugar. No coffee, milk or soy milks are allowed, but you may sweeten your water with fresh lemon or lime slices.
- 4Shop for raw, locally grown, organic apples.Any variety of apple is suitable forth this diet including McIntosh, Gala, Pink Lady, Red Delicious, Yellow Delicious, Fuji, Pippin and Granny Smith. Try to buy as fresh, organic and as locally grown as you can. Avoid bruised apples as they release an ethylene gas that can spoil your other apples as well. Choose unwaxed fruit with smooth firm skins and wash them well before consuming.
- 10Return to your usual eating routine and make raw apples part of your diet by eating at least three a day, preferably before meals.For ideas as to how to include raw whole apples in your diet in interesting ways see the section below Ways to Add More Raw Apples to Your Daily Diet.
Ways to Add More Raw Apples to Your Daily Diet
Eating raw apples is best, because cooked apples lose a lot of the polyphenols that cause weight loss, but cooked apples are still a beneficial choice as long as there is not a lot of sugar or refined flour in the recipe; keep this in mind as you try and keep more of this weight loss fruit in your diet.
- 4Eat Raw Apple Crisp for breakfast or dessert.Toss the equivalent of four whole apple chunks with 1/3 of a cup of freshly squeezed orange juice in a large pan. Combine ½ cup each of pecans, hazelnuts and raisins along with 1 teaspoon each of ground ginger and cinnamon in a blender and pulse until finely chopped. Spoon the chopped nuts over the apple mixture and serve.
- 5Eat apple slices and low-fat cottage cheese for lunch.The two foods combined make a nutritious filling meal that kills cravings for snacks.
- 6Grate apple slices and serve on top of steel cut oatmeal with a touch of low-fat milk.Raw sliced apples can be used as well. The oatmeal is a filling low-fat carbohydrate and the milk adds protein. This breakfast food provides your body with fuel that should last all night.
- 7Add apple chunks or slices to any type of salad.Apple chunks taste great in both savory and sweet fruit salads.
- 8Eat apple slices with 2 ounces of nut butter as a craving-curbing snack.The protein and good fats in the nut butter, whether it be peanut butter, cashew butter or almond butter, will help stave off hunger pangs.
- 9Eat apple slices with 2 ounces of old cheddar cheese.This is a healthy snack that can stave of hunger pangs for hours. To facilitate better sleep, combine this with two to four whole-grain low fat crackers just before you go to sleep.
- 10Make a Raw Apple Pie Smoothie.This luscious dessert smoothie is a big hit with vegans and packed with protein. Combine two unpeeled apples, 1 cup almond milk, ¼ cup unsalted cashews, one frozen banana, 3 tablespoons powdered protein, 2 pitted dates, cinnamon, a dash of vanilla and a handful of ice cubes in a blender and blend it until smooth. This naturally sweet smoothie is very filling and can substitute for any meal during the day.
- 11Make a Green Apple Pumpkin Smoothie.Add 2 cups pumpkin or butternut squash puree or a mix of both to a blender. Add ½ cup of soaked chia seeds, 1 pitted date, 1 whole chopped green Granny Smith apple, 2 cups of almond milk to a blender, a couple of ice cubes and blend until you have a frothy smoothie.
- 12Make a Green Applecado Smoothie.This is like drinking a salad in a glass. Blend one cored apple, a whole avocado, 2 cups spinach, four ounces of spring water and a big handful of ice cubes and blend until you have a drinkable consistency. This green shake makes a great low calorie filling replacement for any meal.Advertisement
Tips And Tricks
- If eating only apples during the Three Day Apple Diet is too rough, some dietitians have modified it to include four to five ounces of organic, grain fed steak (and nothing else) at suppertime, however keep in mind this will result in less weight loss
- Eat your apples unpeeled as there are many antioxidants and polyphenols as well as fiber in the peel.
- Eating a whole fruit is more beneficial than drinking apple juice as changing the texture or removing fiber from the fruit it lowers its glycemic levels, but there are still benefits to eating apples in any form over sweet or high-calorie snacks.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna