Lose Weight on the Clear Liquid Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
The clear liquid diet was originally a diet created to subsist individuals who, for one reason or another, cannot ingest solid foods. A side effect of the diet is extreme weight loss, up to ten pounds a week. When not used during an illness or convalescence, this diet can cause a weight loss of up to ten pounds a week. You are advised not to stay on this diet longer than a week as this diet does not have the required daily nutritional values needed to sustain your health for longer than that.
The Clear Liquid Diet causes weight loss because:
- It deprives you of 1000 to 2000 calories a day, thus putting your body in an extreme calorie deficit
- It is low carb and low fat because you are not allowed dairy products
- Many of the juices and other beverages in the diet are lower in sugar or contain no added sugar, which nourishes without causing glycemic reactions that can cause weight gain
- The juices are rich in vitamin A and C, which helps fight the kind of inflammation that can cause weight gain
- It helps flush fat out of the kidneys, liver, and intestines
- It may reduce bloating, as long as you stick to sugar-free, aspartame-free and low sodium liquids whenever possible
- It gives your digestive organs and endocrine system organs a rest, which helps them regenerate and be more efficient when you do start eating solid foods again
- The broths on the diet are fat-free and high in protein, which helps stave off cravings and facilitate weight-loss
Allowed Clear Liquids
The diet consists mostly of liquids, with the exception of hard candies, popsicles, and gelatin.
Allowed fluids on the diet are:
- Apple juice
- Billion cubes dissolved in water, preferably low-sodium
- Cherry juice with no pulp
- Clear carbonated soft drinks such as 7up and Gingerale
- Coffee with no cream
- Cranberry juice
- Fat-free clear organic beef broth
- Fat-free clear organic chicken broth
- Fat-free clear organic vegetable broth
- Honey in very limited amounts to sweeten tea or coffee
- Lemonade with no pulp
- Popsicles (preferably without sugar)
- Tea with no cream, including any type of clear herbal tea
- Hard candies (preferably sugar-free)
- Low-sodium, aspartame-free carbonated or sparkling waters
- Mineral water, carbonated and non-carbonated
- Pure spring water
- Vapor-distilled water
The Clear Diet Drinking and Eating Plan
To lose weight on this the Clear Liquid Diet, follow this eating plan:
- 1For breakfast you may have one cup of juice (any from the list above), one cup of coffee or tea without cream, milk or sugar and one dish of preferably sugar-free gelatin.You can sweeten the coffee or tea with honey. Decaffeinated coffee is allowed on this diet if drinking regular coffee.Advertisement
- 2For a mid-morning snack you may have one cup of juice and one popsicle.Be sure to stick to the juices on the list and stay away from ones that contain a great deal of sugar such as pineapple or orange juice.Advertisement
- 3For lunch have a cup of tea or coffee with honey, a cup of hot broth and a dish of flavored gelatin.Organic chicken or beef broths are preferable to ones made with a bouillon cube because they contain less sodium.
- 4Make sure that in addition to the gelatin and liquids that you are drinking at least eight cups of vapor-distilled water a day.This will help your body flush fats, sodium, and yeast, that might be giving you a bloated appearance, from your body.
- 5For an afternoon snack have one popsicle and one piece of hard candy.If you want to control the sugar content in your popsicles, make them yourself from the allowed juices on the list.
- 6For dinner have one cup of broth, one cup of tea and one dish of flavored gelatin.Herbal tea is preferable to caffeinated teas that might keep you awake at night.
- 7For a nighttime snack of one cup of juice and one piece of hard candy.It is fine to drink your juices over ice or whip them up in a blender with a lot of ice simply to vary the textureAdvertisement
Tips and Tricks
- See a physician before you embark on this diet as it may not be suitable for people with certain conditions, including pregnant women, people with diabetes and people with kidney disease
- Drink as much water as you like on this diet, the more the better, to help keep you hydrated, keep you from feeling hungry and reduce the severity of any detoxification symptoms that you might experience
- This diet can be quite high in sugar if you do not deliberately steer away from juices with high sugar content
- If there is anything floating around in the liquid, such as meat, rice or pulp, it may not be as effective for weight loss
- You are consuming less than 800 calories a day on this diet, so it is not recommended that you exercise except for maybe a half-hour brisk stroll around the block
- Originally this diet included Sports Drinks because they contain vitamins and electrolytes, but it is not recommended that you include them because they
- This diet does not traditionally include taking supplements, especially pills because they qualify as being solids
- If you plan on being on this diet more than a week, consult with your doctor and have him recommend liquid supplements
- It is normal to suffer some detoxification symptoms for the first three days of this fast, such as a headache, fogginess and sore joints but most people actually experience a slight surge in energy after this
- If this diet causes you to feel dizzy, unwell or fatigue so bad that you cannot get out of bed, then break the diet immediately by having crackers, soup, and a banana
- This diet is not recommended for people who have an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia or who are on medications for psychiatric disorder such as body dysmorphia or bipolar disorders
- Alcohol is not allowed on this diet, even though you may think of it as a clear fluid because when you are on a very low-calorie diet it is dehydrating and causes blood sugar spikes and dizziness
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight on the Clear Liquid Diet. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_on_the_Clear_Liquid_Diet
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight on the Clear Liquid Diet." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_on_the_Clear_Liquid_Diet Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight on the Clear Liquid Diet." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_on_the_Clear_Liquid_Diet.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna