Lose Weight on Your Period
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
It is more difficult for women to lose weight while they are on their period because hormonal shifts can cause all kinds of symptoms that defy weight loss plans including water retention that adds pounds and inches, cramping that interfere with exercise and food cravings. The bad moods associated with having your period can also trigger cravings for carbohydrates and make you feel less motivated to exercise. This is because your body is releasing elevated amounts of progesterone, which encourages your system to store fatter and water.
Maintaining weight-loss while you are on this period is easier if you begin to work with your body's timing and start to prepare for hormonal shifts with certain lifestyle and diet practices as week before your period actually starts.
Way That You Can Stick To Your Weight Loss Goals Even When You Are On Your Period
Period makes taking the weight off much harder. Here are some ways that you can stick to your weight loss goals even when you are on your period.
- 1Evening Primrose oil is a well-known natural hormone regulator that contains GLA and linoleic acid. The hormonal regulation not only provides relief for mood swings and bloating, it also helps you resist food cravings. To be effective the Evening Primrose Oil that you choose to take should contain 8% GLA and 72% linoleic acid.Take at least 1000 mcg of Evening Primrose Oil every day up to a maximum dose of 500 mcg, starting the week before your period starts.Advertisement
- 2The normal amount for weight loss is about eight glasses a day for most people. This will help flush out wastes from hormonal processes and prevent the bloating that occurs during the first few days of your period. For best results drink vapor-distilled water, as it will not have any sodium in it that could cause bloating.The week before your period begins, start drinking at least ten glasses of water a day.Advertisement
- 3Avoid eating foods that are rich in sodium such as canned vegetables, soy sauce, frozen dinners, powdered and canned soups and sauces and snack foods like potato chips or corn chips.One week before your period starts, limit your intake of salt to prevent bloating and water retention before it happens.
- 4These foods are not only natural sources of purified water and potassium, which helps balance your hormones and reduce bloat, they are also great sources of the minerals and vitamins needed to support your thyroid and pancreas.One week before your period starts, increase your intake of vegetables and fruits that are rich in water, including honeydew melon, watermelon, berries, pears, apples, celery and cucumbers.
- 5Weight gain is accelerated when your body is low in iron stores. Iron can be difficult to absorb unless you are also getting high amounts of vitamin C. To make sure that your body is well nourished with iron eat organic cuts of lean meat, in particular, beef and liver. You should also increase your consumption of celery, asparagus, soybeans, and avocados, to get more folic acid and more citrus fruit, kiwi and bell peppers to make sure you are getting enough Vitamin C.Make sure that you always eat foods that are rich in folic acid, iron and Vitamin C.
- 6Satiate your cravings with healthy foods that have moderate sugars, lots of vitamins and low-sodium. Good choices would be almonds, low-fat yogurt or cut up raw vegetables with a low-fat yogurt or sour cream based dip.During your period, you can handle your cravings by eating healthy complex carbohydrates instead of starchy snacks loaded with salt or sugar.
- 10Every woman is more bloated and heavier during her period and any results that you get are going to be temporary.Don't bother weighing yourself or measuring your waistline until your period has ended, especially if you feel that this will result in a lack of motivation for you to stick to your weight loss plans.
- 11Your body is already flooded with hormones that cause bloating and weight gain and when you are upset, your body produces cortisol, which makes matters even worse.Stay away from negative people and situations while you are on your period.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- A smoothie made with kiwi, avocado, orange, banana and soy milk, whipped up with ice in a blender can provide you the iron, folic and Vitamin C you need to resist metabolic weight gain while you are on your period.
- Exercising hard during the first three days of your period might actually facilitate weight loss, because this is a time during the month when you can burn an extra 100 or 200 calories a day, meaning that you can lose weight at this juncture in your reproductive cycle as long as you do not give into snacking
- Do not resort to taking diet teas or commercial diuretics while you are on your period as these contain hormonal disruptors
- Taking Evening Primrose Oil to regulate hormones and metabolism may work better if you are younger, and may be less effective for those women entering peri-menopause
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight on Your Period. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 26, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_on_Your_Period
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight on Your Period." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_on_Your_Period Accessed 26 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight on Your Period." Accessed Mar 26, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_on_Your_Period.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna