Lose Weight from Your Face With Facial Massage vs With Makeup vs By Changing Your Hairstyle ... and 4 more
Edited by Donna, Eng
Losing weight from your face is a form of targeted weight loss. Targeted weight loss is only sometimes possible as it is your unique metabolism that decides where and how fast your body will lose weight. Some people lose weight from their face first =and others lose weight from their face last and some do not lose any fat at all, because the fat that supports the integrity of your facial structure somehow.
It can take months to lose enough weight to make your face look gaunt, but while you are attempting that, there are methods that may help you create the illusion that your face is a bit thinner. Keep in mind that not all of these methods may work on all face types just simply because of the structural limitations of your natural face shape (a face with a large skeletal jawbone may never look that thin, for instance.) Whether or not you will be able to lose weight from your face is also dependent on how much collagen you have lost from your face due to aging, whether or not you are insulin resistant and therefore chronically obese and lifestyle factors such as smoking or the effects of prescribed medications on your body.
Here are some ways to lose weight from your face that may work directly or at least give the illusion that your face is thinner.
Method 1: With Facial Exercises
Facial exercises, or facial yoga as it is sometimes called, might help you lose weight from your face by building up the muscles and causing skin to look tighter. Here are some techniques that you can try that may work to make your face look thinner. Note that this is not a fast way to lose weight from your face and it can weeks or even months for physical results to be apparent.
- 1Suck in your cheeks to the point that your lips are pursed to make a fish face, hold it for five seconds and then let your cheeks and lips back into a normal position.Do this once in the morning and once again a night. Work your way up to doing repetitive sets this exercise twenty times, fifty times and ultimately one hundred times a day. The suction made while you are making the fish face helps build the inside muscles up at the front of your face which will, by contrast, make your cheeks look hollow. This exercise also tightens the jawline, which can give a face a narrower, more uplifted appearance.Advertisement
- 2Place your lips in the same position that you would as if you are about to whistle and take a deep breath in through your lips to the count of five, hold your breath for a count of five and blow the air back out to the count of five.Do this ten times a day in the morning and then at night. Work your way up into doing more of this whistling pose exercise until you are doing a hundred of them a day. This exercise helps pull up your upper cheek muscles and work them so that your face looks narrower and your upper cheeks appear more sculpted looking.Advertisement
- 3Smile as broadly as you can and hold it for five seconds then let your face relax completely for five seconds.Do this every day morning and night at least ten times in a row. Work your way up over time to doing 100 repetitions of the smile exercise.. Most people can get to this high number of repetitions per day by adding five smiles to the number that they are currently doing a day. This exercise helps pull up sagging skin around your jaw line and also builds the cheek muscles that lay just over your cheekbones so the look more chiseled. You can also practice smiling more just as you go about your day, as smiling lifts a double chin as well and helps tighten all tissues in the face so that you look younger and thinner.
Method 2: With Facial Massage
Facial massages can be done at home using a single healthy oil or a mixture of healthy oils. The oil that you use is warmed in your hands as you apply certain massaging moves to your face.
Healthy oils to use for a slimming do-it-yourself face massage include:
- Argan oil
- Castor oil
- Coconut oil
- Jojoba oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Hemp seed oil
- Rosehip oil
- Tamanu oil
All of these oils and essential oils have an anti-inflammatory component that helps shrink swollen, inflamed cells. The unsaturated acids, fatty acids, antioxidants, proteins, vitamin E and minerals in these oils help keep your skin blemish-free and smooth so you automatically look younger.
It is optional but you can also add essential oils or a blend of essential oils to the carrier oils listed to also help clarify, smooth and tighten the skin.
Suggested oils are:
- Carrot seed oil, which neutralizes inflammation and fades scars which can make the face look swollen
- Frankincense oil, which evens the skin tone, makes pores seem smaller and helps tighten the skin
- Geranium oil, which improves blood circulation area in the face and tightens the skin as wall as disinfects it so it is clearer and smoother
- Lavender oil, which helps the skin adapt to stress, and helps reduce the ruddy look of scars and helps the skin look tighter
- Myrrh oil, which has strong anti-inflammatory properties that improves skin tone, firmness and skin elasticity
- Neroli oil, which is good for lifting sagging skin and shrinking skin tissues so they look tighter
- Patchouli oil, which helps lift sagging skin, regenerate aging skin and even out skin tone, which also gives your face a younger slimmer appearance
- Rose oil, which refines the skin texture, gives you a dewy complexion and makes it look tauter and younger
- Tea Tree oil, which regulates oil production and prevents inflammation and breakouts
- Ylang Ylang oil, which improves skin elasticity and texture, making it look tighter and younger
To give yourself a slimming facial massage:
- 1Blend together an oil or a mix of oils (argan, coconut, castor, jojoba, olive, hemp seed, rosehip or tamanu) in a small bowl to make about ¼ cup of slimming facial massage oil.There are no rules as to which one to use this as all of these oils help firm and tighten the skin. You can mix two or three of these basic oils together to make an optimum massage oil blend if you like.Advertisement
- 2Add a total of five drops of the essential oils of your choice to the ¼ cup of oil.This is an optional step but these oils can amplify your skin's ability to become younger and tauter looking, so that your skin looks thinner. You can use less essential oil in the oil blend if your skin is particularly sensitive.
- 3Wash your hands and make sure they are very clean before applying the oils to your clean dry face.This helps avoid the spread of bacteria from your fingers to your facial skin, which could cause acne and other blemishes. Oil does not mix well with water so make sure that your face is completely dry before you apply the oil or the nutrients may not sink deep into the pores of your skin.
- 4Apply some of the oil to your hands and rub them together.Your hands should be quite slick with the oil and naturally a bit warm as you touch your skin with it. Any pressure you apply to your skin should be slow and deliberate because this helps the tissues eliminate any excess oils.
- 5Apply a thin layer of the oil all over your neck, under your jaw and your face up to the hairline.This helps your entire face benefit from the anti-inflammatory qualities of the blend of nourishing oils. You may apply more oil to your hands as needed, as you continue through the next few steps of massaging the mixture into your skin.
- 6Slick the oil beneath your jaw line, using gentle strokes with both hands that sweep upwards to the chin.This helps encourages your double chin to tighten up so that your face looks less flabby or round.
- 7Use gentle strokes to apply the oil upwards over your cheeks to your hairline in a repetitive way.The more you rub the oil upwards, the more you will be stimulating the circulation in the area. Do not be afraid to apply a bit of pressure with your thumbs and fingertips as you do this. This is also a way to train your skin to be tighter, eventually lending your cheeks a gaunter, more lifted appearance..
- 8Leave the oils on the skin, so that they can soak into your skin pores and nourish it.If your skin feels too oily afterwards, you can wipe it with a very clean washcloth or paper towel. However, avoid washing your face with soap or water as this can remove the very substances that are working to nourish and tighten your facial skin. Be patient. The oily feeling usually disappears from your face after about ten minutes or after about thirty minutes at the most.
- 9You can do this skin tightening facial massage every day.If your skin breaks out, due to the oil, then skip a day or two or use less oil in the massage. If you develop any type of rash, this could be an allergic reaction to an essential oil, in which case, you should use the oils without the inclusion of that particular essential oil.
Method 3: With Makeup
Here are some make up tips that can help you contour your facial structure with cosmetics to help it look narrower, more sculpted and like you have lost weight.
- 1If you use foundation, a lighter powder or cream based liquid foundation rather than a thick, opaque one.Thick opaque foundations and bases can make your face look wider because they reflect so much light they eliminate the appearance of your natural facial shadows that would make your cheek bones and the hollows of your cheeks more obvious. Light foundations made with moisturizers that are good choices for this are [h= L'Oreal Paris True Match Blur Foundation or Indeed Labs Nanoblur.Advertisement
- 2Contour your cheekbones, temples and jawbones by using makeup one to two shades darker than your ordinary makeup.Apply your regular foundation and then brush the darker powder in the hollows of your cheeks. Do the same beneath the line of your jawbone from the ear to the chin on both sides. If your forehead is exposed, and not covered with bangs, you can also apply the darker powder to your temples to narrow it. You can then powder it lightly to set it. Use a powder that is neutral shade or closer to your own skin color, to help conceal the edges of the contouring because this well help the contours look more natural.
- 3Use highlighter to make certain features seem more prominent.Apply a thin line of highlighter down the center of your nose to make it seem a bit sharper and apply a line of highlighter from your temple to your cheekbone. This accentuates your facial bones and gives width to your face in the cheekbones and your cheeks appear a bit more hollow. This trick works especially well if you combine this technique with your contouring cream.
- 4Use a very bright blush to add pigment the sides of your cheeks and stay away from the coloring the apples of your cheeks.This draws attention to your upper part of your face and makes it seem narrower. Applying blush to the apples of your cheeks can make it seem higher and fatter.
- 5Apply a bit of blush or darker contour powder just under the tip of your nose.This has the appearance of making your nose look shorter and more upturned which can also be a visual trick that can make your face appear as if it is narrower.
- 6Enhance your lips by lining them with lip liner, applying lipstick and then gloss.The larger your lips look, the smaller your face will look. To make them even fuller, dab a bit of gold or silver eye shadow in the center of your bottom lip and blend it into the color. Light reflects on this lighter spot and makes your lips look bigger than they are.
- 7Avoid sporting a thinner eyebrow shape.Grow your eyebrows in or fill them in with an eyebrow pencil so that they look thicker. The thicker your eyebrows look, the thinner your face will look. Make sure that your eyebrows are plucked so that thy have a dramatic arch. Eyebrows that are too round and look like semi-circles that can add width to your face.
- 8Make sure that your eyebrow shape ends at the corner of your eyes.Shortening it so that they end over the iris of the eyes or lengthening so that they extend towards the hairline can make your face appear even wider than it actually is.
- 9Wear cat's eye style winged eyeliner and pale eye shadow to make your eyes look bigger and give your face a lift.Paint eye liner on your top eyelid and extend it from your inner corner just outside of your eyelid so that it has a slight inky wing that sweeps upwards. This updrawn line on your eyelid helps give your entire face a bit of a dramatic lift and make it look thinner. Make sure to be subtle about this or you could accidentally age your face by looking too retro in appearance.
- 10Wear thick layers of darker mascara and very light eye shadow to make your eyes look bigger.Pale colors to use on your lid would be white, light yellow, platinum, gold, light pink or silver. This brings attention to your upper face so that any roundness in your lower face is less obvious. The larger your eyes seem, the narrower your face will look. Be sure to highlight the very inner corners of your eyes to make them look as big as possible.
- 11Use a tinted canceler on your eye bags.The smoother and less baggy the area under your eyes looks, the less saggy your face will look.
- 12Go for the tanned face with frosted pink lips look.Apply bronzer all over your face and neck to give yourself a tanned look. Use extra bronzer or a darker shade to contour your jaw line and cheeks so that you look a bit thinner. Paler lipstick gives you a younger look that helps you look much thinner. You can make your lips look even fuller by lining their edges with a brown lip liner and then filling it in with a frosted lip color. This makes the face seem smaller in comparison to the fullness of the lips.
Method 4: By Changing Your Hairstyle
Changing your hairstyle can help elongate the face and even change it physically , as some styles that involved elastics can actually pull the skin upwards. Changing the color of your hair can also help your face look narrower.
- 1Stick to angular cuts that have a bit of an angle to them.The perfectly balanced and even blunt haircut that is the same length all around has the effect of making your face look wider. Cuts that are a bit longer in front also flatters a face that looks a bit full.
- 2Consider dying your hair a darker color and getting a layered cut with bangs that brushes forward over your cheeks and forehead.The darker your hair is the less plump your face will look especially if you brush it forward from the crown so the hair covers your cheekbones. This lends your face a more heart-shaped or diamond shaped appearance, which makes it look a bit thinner.
- 3Stay away from getting lighter highlights around your face and instead get darker highlights.Light colored highlights make your face look wider, whereas darker face framing locks give it the illusion a narrower appearance.
- 4Ask your hairdresser to dye your hair in an ombre style with the top half of your locks being much darker than the bottom half.The layer of darker hair narrows the face and the lighter bleached ends offers a visual trick draws the eye away, making your face seem more triangular and less circular in shape.
- 5Tease the crown of your hair to give the back of your hair more height.This hairstyle works best to make a full face look thinner if your hair is at least shoulder length or longer. Wear your hair in a straight hair style that reaches below your shoulders but tease your hair so that it is higher at the crown of your head. Tease your hair near the crown by brushing strands downwards from their very ends to roots to create fullness and then fix the hairdo in place with a hair spray that has a volatizing hold.
- 6Wearing a bun, pony tail or pig tails that are fastened at the crown or just below your crown can give you a bit of a facelift that makes your face look slimmer.This works well with people who have a love of chubbiness in their cheeks or in the lower area of the face.
- 7Consider parting your hair at the side and wearing longer bangs.This helps elongate a rounder looking face. Do not wear very short blunt bangs as those serve make the face look chunkier or rounder.
- 8Wearing two combs in your hair, placed at either side of your crown can help make your face look more triangular, rather than square or round.The two clips at the top of the hair helps the lower part of your face appear slimmer by contrast.
Method 5: By Using Accessories to Create An Illusion
The following tricks help create the illusion that your face is thinner than it seems.
- 1Wear long dangling earrings on your ears, instead of studs or round hoops.Drop shaped earrings draw the eye downwards and the dangling distracts from the jawline and less-than-hollow cheeks. The best style of danglers to wear is the chandelier earring, which features several baubles or design elements hanging in an umbrella like fashion from a long chain. Earrings that are like strings, such as a rope of dangling rhinestones, that hang straight down and nearly touching the shoulders, can also help your face appear slimmer. Wearing earrings made of feathers or cut thread that graze the shoulders can also distract from a fatter face.
- 2Wear a long chain with a single pendant at the end.This visually elongates the length of your face by drawing the eye downwards and away from the face.
- 3Tie your hair up in a scarf so that it is piled on top of your head.This has a slight pulling effect on your skin that makes the skin on your face look tighter. The higher placement of the scarf also elongates the entire structure of a round face and makes it look thinner. If the scarf is brightly colored, it also helps distract from structural features such as chubby cheeks.
- 4Wear a long thin silky brightly colored scarf wrapped once around your neck.This also draws the eye downwards away from the face and gives the illusion of thinness
Method 6: By Wearing Certain Clothing Styles To Create An Illusion
Here are some tips for making your face look thinner by wearing certain clothing styles.
- 1Wear a pale pink or flesh toned turtleneck.This gives the illusion that your neck is a lot longer than it actually it is and creates a smooth line that draws the eye downwards, making your rounder face seem slimmer.
- 2Wear a dress shirt with a big stiff collar with the ends of the collar pointing up.This is a visual trick that serves to visually narrow the chin, jaw and cheek area, making you look slimmer. Press your shirt and blouse collars with a steam iron and a bit of spray starch to make the propping up of the collar around your jaw line a bit easier.
- 3Wearing a V shaped neckline contrasts with a rounder shape and makes it look thinner.If you wear boat necks, square necklines or necklines with a round cut then your face will look wider or rounder.
- 4Wearing a cowl neck turtleneck that drapes softly around your face.This piling of soft material below and around your jawline helps conceal a fattening double chin and sagging jawline so that your face look a bit thinner.
Method 7: With Simple Lifestyle Hacks
These simple lifestyle hacks make a rounder, fuller face appear much longer and thinner.
- 1Get a tan on your face.You can sit in the sun, go to a tanning bed or apply bronzer lightly all over your face. Tanned faces just tend to look thinner in general.
- 2Chewing gum frequently.Chewing gum gives your entire face a workout and may help your face eventually look toned and slim. Chewing gum is one of the few ways to give the muscles in your face a great workout.
- 3Take parsley pills twice a day.Parsley pills are an all natural diuretic that can help remove excess water from your body, thus making your face look thinner. You can also try eating a lot more parsley in general, by using it as a garnish or adding it to salads or you could drink parley juice blended with other diuretic juices such as celery, tomato and fennel.
- 4Give yourself a temporary face lift with face lift tape.Face lift tape comes in rolls and is readily available in drug stores and cosmetic supply stores. Tear off a small piece of the tape and gather a bit of skin by pinching it and taping just behind your ears. This helps pull up your jaw line. Apply more of the fac lift tip to your temples to lift the skin up from your cheekbones so that your entire face looks thinner. You can hide most tape beneath your hair line or conceal it behind your ears.
- 5Wear a face lifting mask to train your skin to pull itself up.Face lifting masks are usually made of stretchy blends polyester and lycra and they look tight-fitting ski masks. They are one piece and have parts that fit over the crown and under the chin and pull the skin upwards. The mask is worn casually during the day and at night while you are sleeping to train the skin to tighten and lift so that you look thinner.
- 6Use Preparation H on sagging areas of your face to shrink facial tissues fast and make your face look skinnier.Originally invented to shrink the tissues of hemorrhoids, just a dab of Preparation H cream can help shrink under eye bags and dragging skin under the jaw, thus resulting in a thinner, more youthful appearance.
- 7Get a blood test to make sure that you are not gaining weight in your face because of a health problem.Get your thyroid levels, blood sugar levels and hormones checked by a doctor to make sure that a fatter appearance to your face is not due to an imbalance.
- 8Get Botox shots to relax your cheek muscles.Botox injections can be administered along the side of the jaw line helps relax the master muscle of the jaw . If this muscle is overworked it can add bulk to your face. The Botox freezes this muscle for a while, so that you use it less. This causes the muscles to fade away, eventually giving you a gaunter, more hollow-cheeked look
- 9Have a dentist pull your wisdom teeth or back teeth out.If you can get a dentist to agree to this you will be in the company of many famous models and personalities who have had wisdom teeth pulled in order to achieve a skinnier, hollow cheeked look. Be sure to consult with your doctor or dentist to make sure that this is an option that will not harm your health.
Method 8: By Physically Losing Weight in General
As targeted weight loss from your face only is a challenging endeavor, it is usually necessary for you to lose weight in general, before weight loss will be apparent on your face.
Here are ways to physically lose weight that will also help your face look gaunter and narrower.
- 1Eat a, low-calorie, high protein diet.Diets that fall into this category include the paleo diet and the South Beach diet. Stay away from refined starches and unhealthy carbs and focus on eating a sugar-free diet
- 2Eat less every day.The gaunter you are physically, the hollower your cheeks will become.
- 3Drink a glass of apple cider vinegar mixed with a bit of water every morning.This helps cleanse your system and reduce water retention and fat deposits in the face. Drinking apple cider vinegar also helps your skin tissues repair themselves and look tauter.
- 4Drink at least eight hours of water a day.This helps keeps your skin hydrated so that toxins and fats are flushed from beneath the skin. Hydrated skin also looks younger and your skin look smoother, which also helps narrow the face.
- 5Drink lots of tea instead of coffee every day.Tea is an incredibly efficient diuretic and can cause weight loss because your entire system is flushed of fat and toxins. This can result in a thinner looking appearance in general, including on the face. Teas that are good for your skin and that also cause weight loss are all black teas, orange pekoe, green tea, white tea, hibiscus, peppermint tea, chamomile tea, nettle tea, dandelion tea, parsley tea, saffron tea, coriander tea and all mushroom teas.
- 6Replace unhealthy snacks, such as potato chips or nachos with healthy ones made from fruits and vegetables.This helps lower the sodium, sugar and toxin levels in your body that can often cause a bloated appearance.
- 7Get at least eight hours of sleep and try to get in at least one nap a day.It is the well �"rested face that tightens and looks less saggy. People who get enough sleep escape the slackening of skin and bagging of the eyes that can make a face look much fatter then it actually is.
- 8Cut out as much sugar as you can from diet and substitute it with healthy sweeteners such as Stevia.This includes cutting out all cola drinks, which contain sugars that are difficult for most bodies to convert to energy, so they convert it to fat.
- 9Stop eating fatty foods that add chubbiness to your cheeks and everywhere else on your body.This includes anything fried in fat, butter, bacon, burgers, hot dogs and desserts that are made with lard and butter. Cutting out dairy products may also help reduce chubbiness from your face.
- 10Avoid all foods that are high in sodium.Cutting down on your intake of junk foods, potato chips, ice cream, colas and all other foods high in sodium as an excess of sodium one of the main causes of bloating and weight gain.
- 11Exercise for at least one hour every day.A one hour walk, swim or bike ride every day can stimulate your digestion and endocrine system to metabolize fats and carbohydrates so the don't end up in your neck, jawline and cheeks as fat deposits
- 12Stop smoking and vaping and take up deep breathing instead..Both habits are loaded with chemicals that destroy the structural integrity of skin and cause bloated and sagging skin.
- 13Limit how much you drink.Drinking alcohol causes insulin resistance, hardening o the liver and other physical reactions that can affect the way the fat looks on your face.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- If you wear dentures or have tooth implants be aware that vigorously doing facial exercises can dislodge work or cause your dentures to pop out of your mouth
- If you feel pain while doing facial exercises, stop doing them and see a physician as it could be a sign of a stroke.
- Avoid drinking chamomile tea if you are allergic to ragweed as that can cause your eyes to bag and your face to bloat up, giving your face a bloated, tired appearance
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding you should not use essential oils on your skin
- Facial massage oil can be applied with latex gloves on if you like, but it is key to the success of the massage that the oil is warmed between your hands first
- Buy organic food whenever possible to reduce your exposure to fruit and vegetables contaminated with pesticides, which can cause insulin resistance and bloat
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna