Lose Weight by Snacking at Bedtime
Edited by Donna, Eng, Alma
When it comes to expedient weight loss, eating snacks late at night goes against most conventional wisdom but the theory behind this approach to dieting is that it is better for you to consume a snack that is less than 200 calories (but preferably less than 100 calories) just before bed, you will not binge on higher calorie foods. This is preferable to giving into a craving later in the night or the next day because you cannot get the thought of it out of your mind. A smaller treat that is restricted in calories is better for you than one saturated with fat, salt and sugar that could potentially be worth ten times the calories and sabotage a week's worth of dieting.
This tact works well with people who are emotional eaters, especially if they choose a snack from the list below that bears some similarity to the snack they were thinking of binging on.
The snacks on this list are ordered from lowest in calories to the highest.
- 1This is the simplest and fastest way to solve a big craving for a creamy dessert like chocolate pudding, however, it is not recommended that you eat this processed snack every night as the artificial sweeteners in this type of bedtime snack is not that healthy for you. However, having these pudding cups on hand might save you from binging on a sweet treat that is much higher in calories and therefore, saves you from unnecessary night-time weight gain.Have a sugar-free, non-fat pudding cup at only 60 to 90 calories per six-ounce serving (depending on whether you get milk chocolate or dark chocolate pudding).Advertisement
- 2Bananas fill you up because they are full of fiber and they also help prevent waste build up in the colon. Bananas also contain potassium, which helps your body flush out fat and sodium from your system overnight. For more of a dessert, you can cut the banana up and have it with some yogurt to have a high protein nighttime dessert that is about 200 calories.Eat one large raw banana at 100 calories per banana.Advertisement
- 3Wrap two slices of roast turkey in a lettuce leaf dabbed with a bit of mustard. Do the same for the second wrap. This is a high protein snack that is also very high in tryptophan, a nutrient that helps to promote a good night's sleep. If you want to have a snack that is only 50 calories, and save yourself, even more, calories, just have one of these lettuce wraps. Red leaf lettuce and iceberg lettuce work quite well to make these unique wraps.Have two Roast Turkey, Mustard and Lettuce Wraps at 100 calories.
- 4String cheese is very filling, which can save you further calories by helping to prevent further snacking later on in the evening. String cheese contains tryptophan, which helps promote restful sleep, which is important for resetting the metabolism at night.Eat four sticks of processed string cheese at 110 calories per four sticks.
- 5In a small saucepan, heat one cup almond milk with one square of 70% chocolate. This is a high protein snack that will likely also help put you to sleep. The almond milk contains essential fatty acids that encourage the health of your cardiovascular system and your brain health. Both chocolate and milk contain chromium, which fights insulin resistance and also helps your body convert carbohydrates into fat. You can also use regular milk, but be sure to use whole fat milk as it is less glycemic and less likely to trigger other cravings.Have a cup of hot chocolate made with almond milk at 115 calories per cup.
- 6Brush the top of half of a large pink grapefruit with a teaspoon of raw organic honey and sprinkle it with organic raw coconut flakes or shredded coconut. Broil on a baking sheet for three to five minute until the fruit and coconut are toasted looking. This snack is very filling and high in chromium, which helps to regulate blood sugar and prevent further cravings. Grapefruit is also very high in Vitamin C, which helps to fight the kind of inflammation that can cause insulin resistance and weight gain.Eat half of a broiled grapefruit with honey and coconut at 123 calories per half of a fruit.
- 8Cut a firm ripe avocado in half, squeeze lime on it and sprinkle it with iodized salt. The fatty acids, minerals and Vitamin E in the avocado are good for your mood and support the function of the thyroid. The iodized salt also gives your metabolism a boost overnight and the lime juice provides a generous dose of inflammation-fighting Vitamin C.Eat half of an avocado with lime and salt at 146 calories per half.
- 10Blackberries are rich in Vitamin C and antioxidants that support the health of your endocrine system. The pistachios are very rich in fat-burning anti-oxidants and essential fatty acids that can help curb cravings and promote a restful night of sleep.Eat one cup of raw blackberries with twenty raw, unsalted green pistachios at 165 calories.
- 11Cut up the carrots into smaller wands and dip into a cup of low-sodium, sugar-free hummus. The carrots are a great source of Vitamin A and support the health of your liver. The hummus is a good source of essential fatty acids that support the functioning of the endocrine and nervous systems, keeping your pituitary and thyroid glands working efficiently. This is a nicely balanced snack for those who are craving salt.Eat two medium-sized carrots with one-quarter of a cup of hummus at 170 calories.
- 12In a blender, combine two cups of frozen mango chunks, one small frozen banana and three tablespoons of water. Blend until creamy and smooth. Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle with unsweetened coconut shavings. This creamy dessert-like snack is very rich in Vitamin A and C, both of which support the health of the liver and prevent the type of organ inflammation that can cause weight gain.Consume a homemade Mango, Banana and Coconut Sorbet at 174 calories per two cup serving.
- 13These two foods together create a complete protein and help you feel full. This snack is also full of fiber, which will help your body detoxify overnight. Avoid salted nuts at night, because they can cause water retention overnight, and bloating in the morning.Eat a raw, apple slices with ten unsalted almonds at 175 calories per apple.
- 14Chop up two dried organic figs and serve with an ounce of sharp old cheddar. The cheddar promotes feelings of well-being and helps you feel full. The figs are rich in chromium, which helps to regulate blood sugar. They are also rich in fiber, which helps to clean out waste and yeast from your intestinal tract. This helps give you a slimmer, trimmer belly and waistline as well as helps you absorb nutrients from the food that you do eat more efficiently.Eat an ounce of cheddar cheese with two dried figs at 185 calories.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Before you are tempted to snack, fill up by drinking a lot of water and wait five minutes as sometimes this is enough for the temptation to cheat on your diet to pass
- This weight-loss advice works best if you are eating a diet that is 1500 calories or less a day, low in saturated fats and good in high fats and low in sodium and sugar
- In general, you should follow the good advice to avoid snacking after supper, but if you do break down and succumb to a treat you can always work off the extra 200 calories or so by taking the stairs instead of the elevator or taking a stroll in the park
- Use fresh, organic and raw ingredients whenever possible to get the most nutrition from your snacks
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight by Snacking at Bedtime. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 28, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_by_Snacking_at_Bedtime
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight by Snacking at Bedtime." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_by_Snacking_at_Bedtime Accessed 28 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight by Snacking at Bedtime." Accessed Apr 28, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_by_Snacking_at_Bedtime.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna