Lose Weight by Eating Vegetarian Indian Food
Edited by Donna, Eng
The key to losing weight by eating vegetarian Indian food is to keep the total intake of your calories below 1200 calories by eating three full meals under 300 calories a day and then eat three 100 calorie snacks throughout the day. If you stick to this diet plan you can expect to lose at least two pounds a week, if not more.
Eating vegetarian Indian food to lose weight works because:
- When you eat 1200 calories a day, you are eating about a 1000 -1500 calories less a day than you normally would, which in turn causes a calorie deficit that causes fast weight loss.
- The calories in the Indian foods on this diet are complex in nature, which means the digest slowly and prevent you from developing the type of organ inflammation and insulin resistance that causes weight gain
- Even though it is a vegetarian, this diet is very high in protein and most dishes have a complete amino acid profile, which helps you build fat-burning lean muscles
- Spices in Indian food such as turmeric, cinnamon and cumin contain phenols and stimulants that boost your metabolism and encourage weight loss
- The spices in in Indian food also contain volatile oils that are antibacterial in nature and that can help prevent conditions such as candida and bacterial infections that can cause bloating and weight gain
- There is almost no saturated fat in vegetarian Indian dishes so there is very little risk of gain weight or developing a disease that causes weight gain like fatty liver disease.
- The vegetables in Indian food are full of antioxidants and polyphenols that nourish and reverse damage to your cardiovascular, endocrine and digestive systems, making it easier for to lose weight
- The vegetables and whole grains in Indian food are very high in fiber, which helps to clean out your digestive system and sweep out bacteria and fecal debris
- Eating frequently on this diet, six times a day, helps prevent hunger pangs and cravings for richer foods that cause weight gain
By Eating Breakfasts That Are Less Than 300 Calories
For breakfast, you may have any of the following meal combinations, all of which are lower than 300 calories. Keep in mind that the more you choose the lower calorie choices, the faster you will be able to shed the pounds.
- 1This breakfast dish is very high in Vitamin C, which fights weight gain caused by inflammation and insulin resistance. The yogurt contains friendly gut bacteria that helps your digestive system process food easily and the oatmeal is a great source of protein and B vitamins.Have a cup of oatmeal flakes, with a ½ of a cup of thick Greek yogurt and a half cup of blackberries, blue berries or goji berries at 190 calories per serving.Advertisement
- 2The banana provides potassium, which helps you to flush sodium out of your body. The paneer, which is a white cheese, is a good source of protein that contains selenium, a mineral that supports the health of the pituitary gland. The whole grain toast provides you with B vitamins that you need to function normally throughout the day.Have half a cup of paneer (Indian cheese) with one slice of whole grain toast at 260 calories.Advertisement
- 3The whole grains in the toast combined with the lentils provide your body with a fix of complete protein, which helps to provide you with energy to function with real vigor the rest of the day. The lentils are also very high in fiber, which helps to clean out your intestines and reduce bloat.Have ¾ of a cup of boiled green lentils with one slice of whole grain toast at 300 calories.
By Eating Lunches and Dinners That Are Less Than 300 Calories
For lunch, you can have any one of the following meal combinations, all of which are lower than 300 calories.
- 1Matar Paneer is made from Indian cottage cheese, red onions and green peas. When combined with the brown rice, the meal provides you with all of the protein that you need to get through the day. The spices and onions in this dish also fight inflammation and stimulate the circulation and metabolism.Have one cup of Matar Paneer with one cup of brown rice and one small wheat flour roti at 280 calories per serving.Advertisement
- 2A bhurji is a spicy scrambled egg dish made with red onions, red ripe tomatoes, canola oil and two eggs. The eggs supply protein and B vitamins, helping your body to build fat-burning lean muscle and the spices help give your metabolism a boost.Have a Bhurji made with two eggs and a whole wheat roti at 290 calories.
- 3The brown rice provides you with B-vitamins that help boost your metabolism. Dal Tarka is a common Indian dish made from ghee (clarified butter), fried spices and cooked yellow lentils. The small green salad provides you with a natural source of minerals as well as fiber.Have one cup of brown rice, four ounces of dal tarka (yellow lentil) and a small mixed green salad at 290 calories.
- 4The rotis provide you with B vitamins and the kidney beans in the ramja curry provide antii-oxidants and fiber that support the health of your digestive system. Red kidney beans also contain chromium, which helps lower blood sugar.Have two small wheat flour rotis, a cup of ramja curry (made from red kidney beans) and a smalled mixed green salad at 300 calories.
- 5The rice and vegetables offer you a complete amino acid profile, which means your body has plenty of fat-free protein to rely on throughout the day. The glass of buttermilk is also a source of friendly bacteria, which helps to keep your digestive system in goo shapeHave one cup of rice with mixed vegetables and one glass of buttermilk at 300 calories.
- 6Upma is a dish made from roasted onions, green chilies and garlic that is mixed with boiled peas and potatoes. This very nourishing stew is very spicy, which helps provoke weight loss by stimulating both the circulation and the metabolism.Have one cup of Vegetable Upma at 300 calories per one cup serving.
Vegetarian Indian Snacks That Are 100 calories or Less
Part of sticking to this diet is eating often. The lunches and dinners on the plan add up to be about 900 calories and you can eat any of the snacks below, as long as you do not go over 300 additional calories. As you can see, this leaves you quite a few options for filling up in a healthy, low-fat way between meals. For example, you could have a cup of mango with half a cup of lassi and still only be eating 200 of the extra 300 calories you are allowed a day on top of your meals. Most are traditional snack foods in India.
You may have any of the 100 calorie or less snacks on the list below.
- 1Melons are very high in Vitamin A, which helps support the health of your liver and pancreas, which in turn helps your body turn carbs into energy instead of fatHave one cup of melon at 30 calories a cup.Advertisement
- 2Banana contains potassium, which helps to flush fat and sodium from your bodyEat one medium-sized organic banana at 30 calories per banana.
- 3A cup of buttermilk is only 35 calories and helps to grow friendly bacteria in your gut so that your digestive process is more efficient.Drink one cup of buttermilk, before bed, to help your overnight digestion and to help your develop gut bacteria.
- 4Mango is rich in Vitamins A, B6 and Vitamin C, which helps to fight inflammation, insulin resistance and keeps your liver from developing fatty deposits.Have a cup of mango (approximately one cup) at 100 calories.
- 5This drink is very beneficial for the health of your intestinal bacteria.Have half of a cup of lassi, which is an Indian yogurt drink, at 100 calories per four ounces.
- 6These nuts are sold in packets that come flavored with all kinds of different spices including hot peppers, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and cloves.Have a tablespoon of Indian-spiced nuts at 100 calories.
- 7Blend together a cup of raw apricots, a teaspoon of pistachio nuts and a tablespoon of Greek yogurt with a cup of ice. Whirl until frosty and smooth and drink.Have an Apricot Smoothie at 100 calories per ten ounce serving.
- 8An Aloo Pakora is a thin potato slice that is coated with rice flour and then deep -fried. This treat is more of an indulgence and starchier than most snacks on the list and Type 2 diabetics should choose a less starchy snack from the list.Have an Aloo Pakora along with a tablespoon of sour cream or a spicy cooked spinach puree at 100 calories.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Starting each day off with a glass of lukewarm distilled water with the juice of one whole raw organic lemon in it can help clean out your system by promoting an immediate bowel movement
- You have all of the black or green tea that you want on this diet as long as you do not add any sugar or milk to the brew
- Be sure to take a stroll for an hour every day to help get the weight off
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna