Lose Weight by Eating Pears On the Pear and Almonds Weight Loss Diet vs As A Diet Food That Promotes Weight Loss
Edited by Donna, Eng, Inukshuk
Weight Loss and Other Benefits of Eating Pears
A study conducted over a period of ten years at the Louisiana State University about eating pears found that people who ate them were 35 percent less likely to develop obesity, which is a good enough reason to substitute dishes made with pears for every meal that you can. The good news is that pears come in many different textures, tastes and skin colors, including green, gold, red and brown and that any of these pears will facilitate weight loss.
Pears enable weight loss because:
- They are a fruit very rich in fiber and just one medium pear contains almost 25% of the RDA for it, indicating that eating the fruit sweeps digestive debris right out of your system enabling weight loss, better functioning of your colon and a lowering of blood sugar and cholesterol
- A single medium-sized pear is only 100 calories making it the ideal meal replacement food as the high fiber content also makes it so filling that you do not desire desserts or sweets
- There is no fat, cholesterol or sodium in pears, thus preventing the bloating and cardiovascular problems that too much of these components can cause
- Pears have a high potassium content, which helps eliminate excess sodium from the blood and diminish inflammation just about everywhere in the body
- When eaten with the skin still on pears are picked with phenolic phytonutrients that are beneficial for your metabolism and that can help improve metabolic disorders that may be causing you to gain weight
- Pears contain antioxidants that help convert sugar into energy, instead of fat and that decrease the risk of Type II Diabetes in both men and women
- Pears contain anthocyanins, flavanols, fruit acids and carotenoids that offer effective protection against the inflammation that prevents people from exercising
- The acids in a pear binds with bile acids to improve the action of both the digestive and endocrine systems, which in turn helps your body turn the starches and sugars that you eat into fuel instead of fat
- Pears are easy on the digestive system, so much so that they are often called a hypo-allergenic food, preventing bloating and water retention due to indigestion and food retention
- Pears have a diuretic effect that detoxifies the liver and kidneys and reduces bloating, especially in those who gain weight due to hormonal imbalances
- Pears can reduce cravings for sweet desserts and crunchy foods
- Pears are very nutritious and contain minute amounts of all the B vitamins as well as Vitamin A, C, D, E and K
- Pears are very rich in boron, a mineral that assists with the symptoms of menopause, including the hormonally induced weight gain that usually goes with it
Method 1: On the Pear and Almonds Weight Loss Diet
You can lose one to four pounds a week if you follow this Pear and Almonds Weight Loss Diet. You can stay on this calorie-restricted diet without risking nutritional deficiencies for about ten days and in that ten days you can expect to lose ten to twelve pounds. The goal is to prevent your self from eating between 500 and 800 calories a day by replacing meals, junk food and fatty foods with pears, which are chock full of vitamins and minerals, but which lack essential fatty acids and protein. Adding a handful of nuts to every meal that you replace with a pair, helps make sure that you are getting the good fats, proteins and amino acids that you need to be fully nourished on this diet.
- 1If you buy organic, you can avoid the ingestion of any toxins or pesticides. The idea is that you will be eating at least four pears a day as a meal substitute for at least two meals a day. You will also be eating a handful of almonds along with the pear chunks for breakfast. It is recommended that you buy the pears and almond in advance so that you always have them on hand and can't make the excuse that you had to break your diet because you ran out of pears and almonds.Buy about twenty pears of any kind and try to by organic and locally grown if you can and about a pound of organic, unsalted almonds, either slivered, halved or whole.Advertisement
- 3A good recipe is a handful of almonds, a tablespoon of low-fat cottage cheese and chopped up pears on red leaf lettuce,. The dressing can be made of tablespoon red wine vinegar, a tablespoon of orange juice and seasoned with salt and pepper . Any salad that you make should contain one low fat protein such as goat cheese, cottage cheese, feta cheese or Greek yogurt. You can also add other vegetables, roasted or raw, to your salad as long as you keep the calorie count of the entire salad below 300 calories.For lunch every day, eat a salad that contains at least cup of chopped pears.
- 4Low fat proteins that are allowed include shrimp, steak, chicken, gorgonzola cheese, blue cheese, feta cheese or two ounces or cottage cheese. Count your calories when you make these meals as you want your dinner to be in the range 400 to 600 calorie range. Also be careful when eating cheese because it can create cravings for carbohydrates that are not part of this diet such as crackers and bread.For dinner eat four ounces of a low fat protein along with a cup of chopped up pear fruit on a bed of greens.
- 6Skimming the fat off of the top of bone broth is easily accomplished by putting it in the refrigerator. The hardened white top of the broth is the fat that you remove from the liquid. You can then heat the broth up and season the it with chopped up ginger, garlic, dill, rosemary, thyme or tarragon. These are all herbs that are rich in essential oils that can assist reducing inflammation in your body and losing weight. Bone broth is comforting and makes you feel full.For an additional snack or small meal, you can have you can have a cup of bone broth with the fat skimmed off the top.
- 7This in turn can cause weight gain. For ten days, make it your goal to eliminate potatoes, sugar, flour, starch, pasta, dairy, refined breads and all junk foods from your diet.Avoid consuming food that can are that can be defined as empty carbohydrates, as eating just a bit of bread or potato chips can trigger cravings for more of the same.
- 8Pears can be constipating if you do not enough water while consuming so many of them and the point is let the fibrous flesh of the pear sweep toxins and fecal debris out your intestines. Distilled water is recommended over Spring water or tap water in order for the cleansing aspect of this pear and almond diet to be effective.Make sure you drink at least eight eight-ounce glasses of spring or distilled water a day while you are on this very high fiber, low-calorie diet.
- 9However, as this is a low-calorie diet, do not attempt vigorous or strenuous workouts as you are not taking in enough calories during the day to fuel your muscles. Over-exertion while on a this type of diet can make you feel very ill and lead to health complications like a heart attack or severe muscle cramps.Exercise for at least one hour every day, A one-hour walk, bike ride or every day can help stimulate peristalsis in your intestines and motivate them to eliminate toxins.
- 11Your calorie intake should be at least 1500 calories a day. Continue to avoid all of the "white foods" such as bread, pasta, rice and potatoes, to ensure that your weight gain does not rebound on you.At the end of the ten day pear and almond diet, you can resume participating heavier exercise such as weight-lifting or running and add, whole grains, vegetable starches and fattier foods like shellfish or avocado back into your diet.
Method 2: As A Diet Food That Promotes Weight Loss
Here are additional ways to include pears in your diet so that you can lose weight by either using snack replacement or by using them as a substitute for a food that you would have normally eaten but might have had a higher fat or calorie content.
- 1A medium pear is about 100 calories and is filling enough that it could replace a food item that could be 200 to 500 calories more. Eat it raw, cut up into cubes, cut up into slices or pureed like an apple sauce and sprinkled with stevia and cinnamon. Pureed pear sauce with almonds and cinnamon sprinkled on top and a splash of nut milk or rice milk is a healthy, low-calorie breakfast. You can also top the pear puree with an ounce of low-fat cottage cheese, to up the protein quotient of your breakfast.Replace a full meal or snack by eating one whole pear.Advertisement
- 2Cut up 1-2 medium sized pear or one large pear with a cup of ice in a blender and puree until slushy. Pears can taste quite bland so it is recommended that you also add 2 ounces of citrus juice of any kind, a tablespoon of stevia or honey and even a dash of vanilla to give the slushy a bit more of a flavorful dimension. This is a very hydrating drink that can be enhanced even further with the addition of cilantro or finely grated ginger. An ounce or two of strawberry juice, peach juice cranberry juice, blueberry juice or apple juice can also add more flavor to a pear slushy.Replace a full meal or a snack with a frozen pear slushy.
- 3Pears go great with blueberries, bananas, strawberries and avocados. Vanilla, cinnamon, ginger and nutty flavors also work well when blended with pears. Start with a base of one chopped pear, that has been cored, 1 cup ice and 1 cup of almond, rice, hemp or cashew milk. Add stevia, Trivia, maple syrup or honey as a sweetener and one cup ice. From this point on you can start adding fruits or herbs or spices of your choice and then blend the mixture together until it is smooth.Replace a full meal, snack or a dessert with a low-calorie sweet pear smoothie.
- 4Pears go exceptionally well with celery, spinach and apple that is whipped together in a blender. A good recipe is one cup chopped pear, 2 chopped celery sticks, the juice of half of a lime, spinach, apple and about a cup of apple juice. For a more savory taste, add a dash of apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper to the pear green smoothie.Replace a full meal with a green pear smoothie.
- 5Pack pears along with a sprig of cilantro, slices of ginger, a few slices of lime or lemon into a jug filled with icy water and let everything marinate in the fridge for at least two hours. You can also add strawberries, blueberries or sliced apples t\o this hydrating pear-infused beverage.Drink pear infused water.
- 6You can make weight loss pear tea with any type of tea you prefer including ginger tea, mint tea, cardamom tea, green tea, white tea, orange pekoe or black tea. Simply brew four cups your favorite type of tea and add it to a pitcher full of ice cubes .Add 1 cup of pureed pear and freshly squeezed lemon to the mix and stir well.. You can garnish this iced tea drink with coriander or a few cardamom seeds, both of which go very well the flavor of pear. It is recommended that you try making Earl Grey Tea with pear puree as the bergamot and vanilla in that particular tea blend greatly enhance the flavor of the ice tea.Drink iced tea made with pear puree as often as you like to create a powerful diuretic and detoxifier for the organs of your digestive system.
- 7Sliced pears or pear chunks can be added raw to any type of salad including fruit salads and ones with leafy greens. Pears go particularly well in Waldorf style salads that contain cheese and nuts . A good skinny version of a Waldorf recipe is two cups of chopped pears, 1 cup of seedless green grapes, 2 tablespoons of chopped walnuts and mixed greens that are mixed with mayonnaise, salt and pepper.Add pear to any salad and eat that as a meal.
- 8To make a dressing, blend together a tablespoon each of olive oil, red wine vinegar, orange juice, powdered mustard and grated garlic clove and then season with salt and pepper to make a dressing. Place ¼ cup of crumbled Roquefort or blue cheese, sliced red onion, torn lettuce and a handful of pecans or walnuts in a bowl. Toss all of these ingredients together and serve. Note that you can use any type of greens in this dish that you like including dandelion, arugula, radicchio , baby spinach or kale. Try not to use more than the recommended ¼ cup of crumbled cheese in this recipe or you do risk upping the calorie count from 200 to 300 calories per serving to over 500, which will not facilitate weight loss.Replace a daily meal or a snack with a classic Roquefert salad.
- 9Add the chopped pieces of 1 ripe pear, ½ cup of white wine, 1 clove garlic, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, ½ cup of ground pepper into a jar and then shake it al up along with a bit of salt and pepper and ¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil.Make a pear vinaigrette to drizzle over your salads.
- 10Cinnamon is a natural carbohydrate blocker that lowers blood sugar levels. Serve with two ounces of plain low-fat Greek yogurt or plain low-fat cottage cheese, which are good sources of protein.For a delicious snack or side dish, or even as a meal replacement, braise sliced pears that have been brushed with a bit of honey, cinnamon and lemon juice and cook them on the grill for about two minutes on each side.
- 11This tasty salsa recipe is closer to a pico de gallo and it has no fat or oil in it. It is created by combining grilled chunks of pineapple and pear with onions, multi-colored jalapeno peppers lime juice, chili powder, ground cumin and coriander. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl, drizzle with lime juice, season with salt and pepper and serve with tortilla slices.Make a smokey flavored grilled pineapple and pear salsa and serve it with corn chips or vegetables.
- 12Combine 1 cup each of chopped pears, chopped celery, chopped shallots in a soup pot. Add two tablespoons of olive oil and two tablespoons of finely minced fresh thyme leaves., Blend it all together with a hand blender and then add 4 cups of low sodium vegetable broth and two cups of water and blend. Cook for an hour, stirring frequently and then add a teaspoonful of high quality iodized salt and another teaspoon of cracked black pepper. The celery and thyme in this soup is very fortifying and are both diuretics that assist the pear with the healthy detoxification of your system.Make a creamless celery and pear soup and consume it as a replacement for a meal or a snack.
- 13Blend together two cups roasted butternut squash, 2 crisp pears, a tablespoon of unsalted butter (omit if desired to lower the fat content), 1 large diced yellow onion, five cloves of garlic, and 2 teaspoons of freshly minced ginger root in a pot. Add ½ cup of coconut water or coconut milk and 4 cups of reduced sodium organic chicken broth. The garlic coconut water and ginger root in this recipe work synchronicistically to help reduce body inflammation and cleanse the digestive system.Make a curried butternut squash and pear soup.
- 14Blend together the chopped flesh of three crisp pears (any kind) with one cup of vanilla almond milk , two tablespoons of Stevia or Truvia, and a dash each of cardamom, nutmeg and cinnamon. Freeze the mixture in a popsicle mold that makes six to eight treats. If you do not like the taste of stevia-based sweeteners you can add one tablespoon of honey instead.Make ginger and pear popsicles and satisfy your sweet tooth between meals.
- 15You can melt a chocolate bar in the microwave, warm it for about three minutes or you can melt a chocolate bar over a double boiler. Dip the tips chilled pear slices (about 1/8 of a slice of the pear) into the warm chocolate, set it on a plate and let it chill in the freezer to set for about 5 minutes. This dessert is only about 60 calories per wedge that is 1/8 of a slice of a medium-sized pear.Make pear slices dipped in dark chocolate.
- 16Mix together ½ cup of pure spring water, a ½ a cup of Truvia, Zing or Stevia In the Raw, a tablespoon of organic vanilla, two tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice in a saucepan. Simmer until the Stevia is dissolved. Add the pears and simmer for another ten minutes ,and then let cool. Mix everything together with hand blender and then pour it into a container and freeze it for at least two hours before scooping it out and serving it in glasses or dessert bowls.Make a pear sorbet to eat as a replacement for a snack or a dessert.
- 17Mix three tablespoons of finely diced minced pear with an ounce of Benedictine liquor, a and a splash of vanilla. Add a dash of nutmeg and grate fresh orange peel directly in the drink. This pear cocktail uses much less liquor than the classic cocktail and contain the raw fruit as well as many spices, such as cinnamon and nutmeg to help speed up your metabolism.For a low-fat alcoholic treat, make a diet version of the traditional cocktail know as the Peary Bird.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Buy organic pears whenever possible to reduce your exposure to pesticides and fruit contaminated with either natural or man made fertilizers
- Pears are usually a bit unripe when you buy them at the grocery store or at the market and may require a few days ripening on a counter
- To delay ripening, store the pears in a plastic bag in the vegetable crisper of your fridge
- To ripen pears faster, place them together in a paper bag with other pears or apples and the ethylene gas naturally produced by them will speed up the process
- Don't peel pears, because the fruit's skin contains more than half of the whole fruit's fiber content
- It is normal for pears to turn brown within a half an hour of cutting them but you can slow this oxidization process down by sprinkling them with lime, lemon or orange juice
- Pear's juice is and will contain more nutritious and contain more phenolic phytonutrients and antioxidants if you do not strain the juice
- Bartlett pears, also known as Williams pears are one of the least sweet of the pears and have a bit of a sharp bite
- Brown pears, such as the Bosc variety taste a bit like honey and can sweeten a smoothie or dessert
- The smaller the pear the juicier it tends to be and the taller and skinnier it is, the less juicy
- Long necked pear, such as the Concords, tend to be the crispest and best for salads
- Red pears are much richer in anthocyanins, which help protect the cardiovascular system more than green pears
- Pears do not survive well as an ingredient in gelatin desserts as it tends to rapidly turn brown and mushy
- You can eat the seeds of the pear, but they do not have any substantial nutritional value, however some people prefer the slightly tarter taste the seeds bring to the sweetness of the natural flea in a smoothie
- It is not necessary to do the pear and almond diet for the full ten days as you will probably see some kind of weight loss doing it or 3, 5 or 7 days, but just not as impressive as if you had done for all ten days
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Eng, Donna