Lose Weight Quickly By Cutting Down on Sodium in Your Diet vs By Cutting Sugar Out Of Your Diet vs By Always Eating Breakfast ... and 5 more
Edited by Donna, Eng
Doctors and dietitians consider a quick, yet still healthy rate of weight loss to be two pounds a week, or roughly eight pounds a month. Two pounds or more of lost weight in a week is considered to be fast weight loss. Normal rates of weight loss are considered to be from about one third to one half of a pound a week. The slower your weight loss is, the more likely you are to keep it off, which is why it is a good idea to lose weight quickly in a healthy way.
Here are some methods for losing weight quickly that can also keep it off for the long term. Adopting some, or even all of these methods of losing weight fast can help you lose two pounds a week.
Method 1: By Cutting Down on Sodium in Your Diet
Cutting down on sodium in your diet is one of the easiest ways to lose weight, shed inches from your waistline and reduce bloat. That is because eating too much sodium throws your endocrine and cardiovascular systems completely off balance. Cutting out sodium also helps reduce the medical risk of contracting high blood pressure and also prevents insulin resistance and damage to your kidney and liver from metabolic and cardiovascular disorders.
Here are some ways to reduce the amount of sodium that is in your diet every day so that you can benefit from both fluid and fat loss, as well as lose weight.
- 1Be judicious about the amount of salt you are using to flavor your food.Less salt means less sodium and less bloating, water retention and weight gain. However, if you do use salt use a salt that is rich in iodine, such as fine white iodized table salt or dead sea salt. Iodine supports the function of the thyroid, one of the parts of the endocrine that determine whether or not you are going use carbohydrates as fuel or convert them to fat.Advertisement
- 2Make a regular habit of reading the food labels on everything that you buy so that you can determine just how much sodium is in what you are eating.By law, the sodium content of all foods is required to be noted in the nutritional information and if it is not, then do not purchase the product. Reading labels also allows you to do comparative shopping so that you can find out which brand of food is offering you the lowest levels of sodium. To make things a bit trickier, it is not always labeled just as "sodium." It also masquerades under the names of salt (also called disodium phosphate), baking powder and monosodium glutamate (MSG).Advertisement
- 3When you shop, buy fresh food instead of packaged food as matter of habit.This almost always guarantees that you will be buying a food that contains a healthy, natural amount of sodium. Packaged food, especially junk foods, are very high in all forms of sodium, which is often used as a flavoring and preservative.
- 4Buy fresh meat, instead of packaged or cured meat, because just a few slices of cured meat can contain over 1000 grams of sodium.Salt is used as a preservative and to add taste to the meat. Salami, ham and beef jerky are among the worst culprits when it comes to containing too much sodium. If you are going to buy a cured meat, look for packages that say "Low sodium" or "Less Sodium."
- 5Eat fresh or frozen fish instead of cured, smoked or canned fish.Fish products that are exceptionally high in sodium include salt cod, salted mackerel, canned anchovies, smoked salmon, smoked white fish and smoked herring. The fresh versions of these meats are much better for you.
- 6Don't eat bacon.Bacon is extremely high in sodium, often giving you a few day's worth in just a couple of strips. If you eat a bacon strip every day, you can expect to gain two pounds a month. If you eat bacon every day, looking at potential kidney damage and high blood pressure over the long term.
- 7When buying frozen vegetables or fruit, buy those that are "fresh frozen" without sugar or sodium.If you are not certain about how much sodium a frozen product contains, be sure to read the labels.
- 8Avoid buying canned goods, as they are often very high in sodium.Canned foods that are especially high in sodium include chili, corn, beans, tomato sauce and some soups. Reading labels can tell you how much sodium is in a canned food. If you must buy canned foods be aware that many companies are advertising their products as low-sodium, but make sure they are not compensating for the lack of taste by adding sugar or fat to the product.
Be aware that some every day spices contain a high sodium level. A good example of a high sodium seasoning is garlic powder. Commercial seasonings that are used to flavor popcorn, such as Sour Cream N' Onion powder or anything with Smoky or Bacon in the title is usually quite high in sodium.
- 1Check the labels of all packaged breads and desserts from a bakery.Usually sodium and a great deal of sugar are added to make these items tastier, even though the taste of the salt is hard to detect in the final product.
- 2Avoid eating oriental sauces such as soy sauce, fish sauce and oyster sauce.These condiments often offer you over half the salt you need in a day in just one tablespoons.
- 3Avoid consuming hot sauces, barbecue sauces and marinating sauces.Sauces that supply you a quarter of the salt that you need per day in just one tablespoon include Hot Pepper sauce, steak sauce, and Worcester sauce. Anything labeled "spicy" or "smokey" might also contain a great deal of sodium.
Cottage cheese can contain a great deal of sodium. This especially true of cottage cheese that is flavored or marketed as no fat or low fat. Salt is added to improve the mouth feel of low-fat cottage cheese.
- 1Cut all junk food from your diet as all of it tends to be very high in sodium.This includes take-out pizza, burgers, fries with gravy, fried chicken and tacos. Sodium levels are particularly high at fast-food chains where even sweet menu items, like pies or milkshakes or diet items such as salad or wraps can contain a great deal of sodium. Even if an item contains less calories, it can still sabotage your weight loss goals if it contains a lot of sodium.
Method 2: By Cutting Sugar Out Of Your Diet
Cutting sugar out of your diet can be a little more complicated then simply refusing to put it in your coffee anymore. Sugar is hidden in all kinds of foods, even those that are not that sweet tasting such as breads, salty snacks, diary products, yogurt, condiments, cereals and many bottled and canned goods. You should not be taking in more than 100 calories in the form of added sugar a day. People who have cut out sugar entirely from their diet have reported losing as much as twenty pounds in one month.
Here are ways to lose weight quickly by eating less sugar.
- 1Read the nutrition labels on packaging to make sure that that you are not eating a food loaded with sugar.If the nutrition label is not clear, look at the ingredients in the product. Ingredients are usually listed in what the product contains the most of to what it contains the least of. If sugar is in the first four to five ingredients in the product, then you should avoid it.Advertisement
- 2It is also helpful to familiarize yourself with various names that sugar goes by on labels.Sugar is not always listed as sugar and may be called dextrose, sucrose, glucose, fructose, flavorings and malt instead. Sugar also lurks in such ingredients as corn syrup, invert sugar, molasses, brown rice syrup, honey and maple syrup. If this is a main ingredient, then avoid buying the item.
- 3When buying groceries look for labels that say "Unsweetened" or "No Added Sugar" or "No Sugar." You will find this label on almond and other nutmilks, soy milk, applesauce, gelatin, puddings, apple sauce, oatmeal, canned fruits and canned soups.
- 4Eat foods that contain healthy fats to help cut your cravings for sugar.This includes foods such as avocado, nuts, turkey breast and seeds. Using healthy oils like olive, walnut and coconut oil can also help cut your cravings for sweet things.
- 5Do not use artificial sweeteners as a substitute for sugar.Artificial sweeteners are known to cause weight gain and also cause additional cravings for real sugar. Avoid sweeteners like Sugar Twin, Equal and Splenda and drink your coffee black. It is also to crucial avoid drinking all diet drinks and diet colas. The only safe sweetener is Stevia and very few soft drinks are made with it just yet.
- 6Never, ever drink regular colas or sodas.These items are packed with sugar. Just 12 ounces of regular Coca-Cola contains 14 tablespoons of pure cane sugar.
- 7When cooking or creating drinks and smoothies, add spices and sodium-free flavorings instead..Ingredients such as cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cocoa and vanilla can make your food taste a little sweeter and richer and help you curb a longing for the sweet stuff.
Method 3: By Always Eating Breakfast
If you eat breakfast every day, you will not eat huge amounts of food later in the day, because you will feel full and not succumb to cravings or binge eating. However, being required to eat breakfast every day this does not mean that you should eat eggs, bacon, home fries, pancakes or toast. That kind of breakfast adds up to be about 700 calories and can climb up to being over 1200 calories if you order a "Big Breakfast" that includes high sodium meats like bacon and high carb foods like pancakes and syrup from a restaurant menu. The idea is to eat a nutrient dense breakfast that contains protein and is less than 300 calories, that can keep you going until it is time for a nutritious lunch.
Here are 20 ideas for eating a breakfast that you can make at home and that contain less than 300 calories. The suggestions below are listed from lowest to highest in calories.
- 1Eat an egg in a ham cup at 110 calories per serving.Line a muffin tin cup with two slices of low-sodium ham. Break an egg in the center, season with salt and pepper and bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about twenty minutes. Allow the eggs to bake or about twenty minutes, let cool for about five more, remove from the tin and eat. You can eat two of these and only end up consuming 220 calories for breakfast. Alternately, you could add a slice of whole grain bread or a whole grain bagel to this meal and end up eating about 210 calories, which is still well below your goal of only eating breakfasts that are 300 calories each.Advertisement
- 2Serve a Crustless Quiche at 130 calories per serving.Blend together 1 cup of low fat cottage cheese, 2 cups of liquid egg whites, ½ cup of cooked, chopped broccoli, ½ cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese and a ¼ teaspoon each of salt and black pepper in a mixing bowl. Pour into a pie dish sprayed with nonstick cooking spray and bake for 45 minutes in an oven set at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Let it cool off for about ten minutes and then slice it like a pie to serve it for breakfast.
- 3Make a simple Chocolate Banana Protein Smoothie at 170 calories per serving.Mix 1 scoop of protein powder, with one small frozen banana, ½ cup of sugar-free cocoa, ½ cup of ice and two teaspoons of stevia. Whirl the ingredients together to make a nutritious, tasty smoothie.
- 4Make a Scrambled Eggs With Smoked Salmon, Spinach and Chives at 210 calories per serving.Scramble two eggs, and ounce of smoked salmon with an ounce of low-fat cream cheese, fresh spinach and chives. Serve the scrambled egg mixture on the two halves of a whole grain English muffin. This low-fat breakfast is high in protein and contains essential fatty acids that can help keep you in a good mood while you are dieting. However, smoked salmon can be quite high in sodium, so note this if you are trying to follow a low-sodium diet plan.
- 5Eat Half of Whole Wheat Bagel with Cream Cheese With A Boiled Egg On The Side at 212 calories per serving.Remember, that to stay under your 300 calorie goal that you can only use half of the bagel. Spread low-fat cream cheese on the bagel and serve with one hard-boiled egg. You can season the egg with a bit of salt and pepper if you like. This is a high-protein meal that should keep you quite satisfied until lunch time.
- 6Make Cooked Oatmeal With Apples, Almonds and Flaxseed at 215 calories per serving.Top cooked oatmeal with an ounce of fat-free milk or vanilla almond milk and top that up with a whole sliced Granny Smith apple, a heaping tablespoon of flax seeds and a handful of Hazelnuts. Leaving the peel on the apple adds more fiber to this low-calorie breakfast that is rich in B vitamins.
- 7Eat a Mexican Breakfast Taco at 218 calories per serving.Layer one egg fried in olive oil, a tablespoon of black beans, a tablespoon of salsa, a tablespoon of low-fat cheddar cheese and a dash of chili powder inside of a hard or soft taco shell. If you use a soft taco shell roll it up to consume it. Choose a low-sodium taco shell, if you are using the hard type. You may also fry the egg in coconut oil or use an oil spray like Pam to cut even more calories from this quick and easy diet breakfast meal.
- 8Make a Blueberry, Greek Yogurt and Walnut parfait at 220 calories.Layer blueberries, Greek yogurt and walnuts in a parfait glass the night before breakfast and chill. This breakfast is very high in Vitamin C, calcium and essential fatty acids, which help steady your nerves while you are on a low-calorie diet.
- 9Make a Cherry Pie Breakfast Smoothie at 230 calories per serving.Combine 1 cup of vanilla flavored yogurt with ½ cup of frozen cherries, 1 tablespoon of maple syrup, ½ cup of crushed ice and two tablespoons of granola. Whip it all together to make a smooth, frosty drink. Cherries are a potent anti-inflammatory that can help you recover from an exercise session.
- 10Make a Raspberry and Granola Greek Yogurt Parfait at 245 calories a serving.Layer ½ cup of Greek yogurt on top of ¼ of granola and top with 1/3 cup of raspberries. You can make this parfait the night before to save time. Raspberries are natural anti-inflammatories that are very rich in Vitamin C and the Greek Yogurt is a satisfying source of protein.
- 11Serve up Breakfast Nachos at 251 calories per serving.Scramble two eggs with diced red and green peppers in a skillet. Top 14 blue corn tortilla chips with this mixture and followed by a tablespoon of black olives and ¼ cup of reduced fat cheddar cheese and a tablespoon of salsa. You can also top this with a tablespoon of low-fat sour cream or low-fat yogurt and still not add a lot of calories to the meal. This is a tasty, quick diet breakfast that contains a broad spectrum of nutrients that support weight loss including Vitamin C, essential fatty acids, antioxidants and calcium.
- 12Make a Baked Cranberry, Banana and Walnut Oatmeal at 254 calories per serving.Line a small baking dish with banana slices. Top with a cup of dried cranberries and two cups of flaked oatmeal. Whip an egg into almond milk or low fat milk that has been sweetened with vanilla and two tablespoons of stevia. Pour the mixture over the bananas and dried fruit in the baking dish. Sprinkle the mixture with cinnamon and Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Serve warm. If you like, you can also substitute dried raisins, apricots, goji berries or dates for the dried cranberries in this recipe. This breakfast is very high in potassium, which helps reduce bloating and blood pressure and also in essential fatty acids, which support the health of the brain and in particular, the pituitary gland that governs weight loss.
- 13Make a Coconut Chia pudding at 255 calories per serving.Mix together ¼ cup of chia seeds, ½ tablespoon of raw organic honey and 1 cup of coconut milk in a glass mason jar and chill the mixture overnight. In the morning, top the chilled mixture with slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds and ¼ cup of your favorite fresh fruit. This is a very high protein breakfast that is also rich in Vitamin C and essential fatty acids.
- 14Make a Scrambled Egg and Salsa Burrito at 260 calories per serving.Scramble two eggs with a teaspoon of butter, an ounce of cheddar cheese, three tablespoons of fresh organic salsa or pico de gallo and a handful of cilantro and roll it up in a wrap. This is a very high protein breakfast that is also rich in anti-inflammatory Vitamin C.
- 15Make Ricotta and Honey Toast with A Side of Turkey Sausage at 278 calories per serving.Spread two slices of whole wheat raisin toast with low-fat ricotta and a drizzle of raw organic honey and then serve it with one large fried turkey sausage. This is a breakfast that is very high in protein and it provides a good supply of energy.
- 16Make a Berry Smoothie Bowl at 280 calories per serving.Top 1 cup of plain, non-fat yogurt with ½ banana (sliced) 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries, ½ cup of sliced blueberries, 1/3 cup of raspberries, 2 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut and 2 tablespoons of chia seeds. Chia seeds are an excellent no-fat source of protein and the berries are potent anti-inflammatories that help fight bloating and cardiovascular problems.
- 17Whirl together a Banana, Whey and Almond Milk Smoothie at 295 calories per serving.Mix together 1 scoop of whey protein powder, ½ of a medium banana, ½ of a tablespoon plain almond butter, 8 ounces of low-fat milk and 1 tablespoon of flaxseed meal in a blender. Mix until smooth. You can also use almond milk, rice milk or cashew milk to make this smoothie.
- 18Make a Smoked Salmon and Avocado Open-Faced Sandwich at 294 calories per serving.Mash 1/3 of an avocado and spread thinly on two slices of toasted rye bread. Top each slice with one ounce of smoked salmon and a sprinkling of chopped chives. This wholesome diet breakfast is very high in healing Vitamin E and essential fatty acids that can help keep your nerves steady while you diet. Avocado is also a very filling food that can help battle that feeling of being deprived while you are on a low-calorie diet.
- 19Make a Spinach, Grape and Avocado Weight Loss Smoothie at 297 calories per serving.Pack 2 cups of baby spinach, 1 ripe pear, 15 green grapes, 2 tablespoons of chopped avocado, 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice and 6 ounces of fat-free plain Greek yogurt in a blender. Add a cup of ice and whirl everything together until it is smooth. Grapes are a known diuretic and the spinach helps provide dieters with needed amounts of iron so that they have the energy to go about their activities.
- 20Make an Egg White Mediterranean Frittata at 300 calories per serving.Mix together 3 egg whites, 1 chopped pepper, ½ of a chopped yellow onion and ½ cup of feta cheese in a greased cast iron frying pan with an oven-safe handle. Cook the frittata for about six minutes and then broil the top of it under the broil for another four or five minutes. Let cool, cut into slices and serve.
Method 4: By Eating At Home Instead of A Restaurant
The reason you lose more weight by eating your meals at home instead of in a restaurant is because:
- You have more control over what you consume when you eat at home and can control the amounts and quality of the oils, fats, sugars and carbohydrates that go into each meal, whereas, you do not have this same kind of quality control when you eat in a restaurant
- Restaurant food often contains a lot of hidden sugars and sodium, which makes meals taste good, but can also pack on the pounds
- You are tempted to eat more in a restaurant because everything is presented to look good on the plate, thus making it more irresistible
- Some restaurants serve food in enormous portions that qualify as being enough for three meals, and in fact, if you do order a huge meal accidentally, part of dieting might be to take most of it home and spread it over a couple of meals to save calories and money
- You may be tempted to have cocktails, most of which are quite high in calories, whereas at home, there is no real reason to be drinking calorie-laden cocktails
- You might be tempted to have a fattening, calorie-laden dessert that you would not normally have if you stayed at home
- You could succumb to peer pressure to eat or drink more than you need to and ingest unnecessary or empty calories just because everyone else is doing so
- A lot of food that is served at restaurants qualifies as being fast food and is highly processed and refined and often full of additives and chemicals that cause inflammation, cardiovascular issues, problems with metabolism and weight gain
Try the following life hacks to avoid gaining weight because you are not cooking at home and are instead, eating out at restaurants far too often.
- 1Be a regular grocery shopper so that you are never out of the foods that you need to cook a healthy meal for yourself.It is when the cupboard is bare that most people feel the need to go out and eat a dinner in a restaurant. Schedule one or two times a week when you are not allowed to do anything else in life, because that time is strictly reserved for shopping for foods you will eat at home.
- 2Prepare your breakfast the night before at home so that you have time to eat it in the morning.Grabbing fast-food egg sandwiches and muffins can really pack on the pounds because they are full of calories, saturated fat, sugar, sodium and additives. If you are always running out of time for breakfast than try making it the night before. A good option is to make a healthy yogurt parfait with berries, oatmeal and yogurt and store it refrigerator overnight.
- 3Set your clock early enough in the morning so that you have time to sit down and eat a healthy low-calorie breakfast.This helps avoid the need for grabbing a high fat breakfast food, like a muffin or egg sandwich, while you are on the run.
- 4Make your own coffee and bring it with you in a thermos or thermos mug.This helps you lose weight because you are less likely to use powdered creamers or artificial sweeteners that are so often offered in low-end coffee shops and that can cause water gain and weight gain. If you buy an expensive gourmet coffee, with whipped cream and flavorings, you can add on as much as 800 calories to your daily diet. Bringing your own coffee from home allows you to use stevia or Truvia as a sweetener and also helps you practice portion control when it comes to adding cream or milk to your coffee.
- 5Bring your lunch to work and eat it at your desk or in a park instead of going to a food court or fast food place.This way you can practice portion control. Food courts are not a good hang-out for a conscientious dieter because the food often looks so tempting.
- 6Make a lifestyle change by declining going out for drinks with coworkers after work.Cocktails, beer and wine pack on the pounds and it is hard to have just one drink. Once you start drinking, cravings to eat salty and high-fat foods such as nachos, cheeseburger, fries and potato chips usually kick in. It is easy to consume an extra 2000 calories a day simply by having two drinks and a snack in a pub or bar.
Method 5: By Ordering Healthy Choices in A Restaurant
Sometimes it is hard to avoid going to a restaurant, especially if you are travelling or attending a family or business function. Here are some tips for losing weight quickly, even if you do find yourself looking at a menu rich in calories, fat and sodium.
- 1If you must go out to a restaurant, avoid going out to steak houses, pubs and novelty restaurants that offer huge portions.If you do end up at one of these places, ask the waiter if half-portions are possible or order from the kiddie menu if possible.
- 2If you must eat at a food court, choose the option that has the lowest carbs and serves the freshest foods.Stick to eating salads with dressing on the side and avoid ordering deep-fried or salty items.
- 3If you must go out to a restaurant because of a social obligation or celebration that you know of in advance, eat a small nutritious meal before hand.This will make you feel fuller and strengthen your determination to choose lighter items from the menu.
- 4Avoid going to buffets or restaurants with massive salad bars.The less choice you have the better because you are less likely to heap your plate with extra calories. Practice some discipline if you do end up serving yourself at a buffet and avoid foods that look fatty, oily or look like they contain a lot of sodium or starches. Try to eat green and clean and avoid hidden sugar as well. Hidden sugar is found in pickled items like beet pickles, antipasto and also in dressings. Hidden sodium is found in foods like olives, pickles and smoked fish.
- 5If you know what restaurant you are going to, do some research online first and look at the menu.Some companies provide nutritional information for their customers so that they know what a healthy choices are available before they even arrive at the restaurant.
- 6If you are at a restaurant, order plain or sparkling water as a beverage and forget about ordering colas, designer coffees or anything with a lot of sugar.If plain water seems a bit boring for you, then ask the waiter to garnish it with lemon or lime. Another good option would be soda water with lime or ice tea with lemon, but be sure to order it without sugar.
- 7Stay away from the bread basket and the pats of butter.It is quite easy to eat a lot of bread and butter while waiting to order or waiting for the main course to arrive. You can also request that the wait person not bring a bread basket to the table at all or that he or she take one that is already on the table it away.
- 8Before you order, question your waiter and ask him or her about healthier dishes on the menu.Most wait staff, especially in high-end restaurants, know which dish is richer or more calorie-laden than others. In fact, the sign of a good restaurant is one that has trained it's staff to offer low-fat substitutions for starchier foods. A common substitution is to replace fries with salad or rice with steamed cauliflower.
- 9Do not be afraid to ask your waiter to bake, poach, steam or grill items that you order rather than fry them.This helps you stay away from the saturated fats that are often the consequence of ordering in a restaurant.
- 10Order two appetizers instead of an appetizer and an entrée.This can save you hundreds of calories per meal. Ordering two appetizers to keep your waistline trim is also more socially acceptable than it used to be, with many people ordering soup and a salad instead of a soup, a salad and a big entrée.
- 11Stay away from ordering cream soups, and order clear ones instead.The cream soups that are made in restaurants tend to have a lot of salt, cream, starch and flour added to them. Ordering a consomme or broth is your best option and ordering a tomato soup is you second best option to avoid eating too much fat. To avoid ingesting extra carbs, skip the crackers, croutons and breadsticks that are also often served with soup.
- 12If you must order pasta, ask for half of the pasta that is normally served as a portion on the plate.This can help hundreds of calories, and cut a lot of sugar, salt and oil from your diet.
- 13Order salads, pizzas and other entrees without any cheese.Cheese is full of fat and just two small cubes of it can boast 100 calories or more. Have a plain burger instead of a cheeseburger and eat load your tacos, pizza slices and melties with more vegetables and healthy oils instead of cheese.
- 14If you are going to drink wine, have just one glass or no alcohol at all.Be aware that people who drink wine with a meal, tend to eat more calories at one sitting. This is because wine and many aperitifs naturally whet the appetite.
- 15If you must order meat.order a lean cut of a meat known to be low in fat in the first place. Turkey and chicken are good choices and so are tenderloin, flank steak or strip steak. Stay away from fatty choices such as regular hamburger, duck and pork.
- 16Order your chicken or fish baked, not battered.Do not order anything that is crispy, fried or double dipped as those dishes are usually high in carbohydrates, spicy sodium breading and deep-fried in oil.
- 17Tell them to hold the gravy, butter or sauces, when you order chicken or beef dishes.This can cut a hundred calories or more from any meal. If you must have gravy, tell the waiter to bring it on the side, rather than poured all over the food. This way, you can consume just a third or a half of it if you want and cut your total calorie count.
- 18Avoid ordering any steak that weighs more than five ounces.Stay away from high quality proteins that are at ten ounces. Even though a strip sirloin steak may be a high-quality protein, you will not lose weight if you eat ten ounces of it in one sitting.
- 19If you are at an Italian restaurant avoid the pasta and stick to eating antipasto and grilled meats.Creamy sauces like Alfredo or Carbonara can offer as much as 1200 calories in one serving.
- 20If you are at a Japanese restaurant, order sashimi (raw fish) or rolled sushi made with raw fish and avoid dishes labeled tempura or teriyaki.Tempura seems healthy but it is food that is battered and fried in oil, so just one piece of vegetable tempura can be more than 200 calories. Teriyaki items usually contain a great deal of sodium and sugar, which causes weight gain and bloating.
- 21If you are at a Chinese restaurant, choose stir-fried shrimp, chicken and vegetable dishes and order brown rice.Stay away from white rice, which is much starchier. Avoid dishes with thick, sweet sauces that contain a lot of starch and sugar and foods that contain battered meat like sweet and sour chicken balls.
- 22If you are eating at an Indian restaurant, stay away from creamy curries and order tandoori dishes.This helps you avoid starches and sugars and stick to grilled and roasted fare, which is a lot less in calories.
- 23Skip dessert.You do not need to follow up every restaurant entrée with a fattening dessert, even if the rest of your dining companions have decided to indulge in a sweet treat. If you absolutely must have something sweet, then order a sugar-free sorbet, if it is available.
- 24Skip the salt.Most restaurant foods are already very high in sodium so you do not need to season your food with even more of it. Eating too much sodium causes weight gain, high blood pressure and water retention.
- 25Always order your after-dinner coffee black or with a bit of milk.Avoid ordering a 20-ounce latte, which can amount to being 340 calories or more. A single tablespoon of milk only has 11 calories, which is a huge saving of 329 in calories from fat.
Method 6: By Fitting More Exercise Into Your Day
When people are busy, they tend to become more sedentary. To lose calories and weight, you must keep moving at all times. Here are some ways to fit more exercise into your daily routine and lose weight quickly.
- 1Ride your bike or walk to work to burn extra calories.This is especially feasible if you live close to work and can dress a bit more casually at your job.
- 2Get a dog.Most dogs need to be walked at least three times a day. This guarantees weight loss for most people, especially if they have no reason to go for a walk.
- 3Go window shopping.If you do not like the athletic nature of jogging or running along a track or in the woods then you can burn off calories by strolling through a mall or window-shopping for an hour or two.
- 4Do an hour of vigorous housework every day.You can burn up to six hundred calories an hour doing strenuous chores like mopping and vacuuming and about 300 calories an hour doing less strenuous activities like washing the dishes or folding laundry.
- 5Instead of mindlessly lying on the couch and watching television, fit in some exercises while watching your favorite shows.You can do crunches, ride a stationary bike or even just march in place on the spot. Do a bit of lifting with free weights is also a good way to fit in exercise sessions while watching television. Even if you only did a bit of exercising during commercials, you would still lose weight, because when you build lean muscle by lifting weights, you begin burning calories even after you stop exercising.
- 6Whenever you can, take the stairs instead of the elevator.This can help some people burn almost a thousand calories a week. Do not forget to take the stairs down as well. You will not burn as many calories as climbing up the stairs but you will still burn a lot more than if you were standing in an elevator.
- 7Ride your bike, take a walk or go for a swim for 45 minutes a day.This is a sure way to lose weight efficiently and quickly. Plan to do this by making it as important as any other of your commitments for the day. Aerobic exercise of some kind must be a priority, or you will not lose weight.
- 8Jump rope for ten minutes every day to lose 200 calories immediately.Keep a skipping rope around and burn hundreds of calories simply by jumping rope as fast as you can for ten minutes. If you can work yourself up to doing this for twenty minutes or skip rope twice a day, you will become a lean mean calorie-burning machine.
- 9Dance whenever you can.If you are not exercising because it feels like yet another commitment that is keeping you too busy, turn up the music and dance your heart out or book some time to go dancing with some friends at a local dance club. You can lose 500 calories a day simply by dancing to music you like. This type of activity also makes you feel happy and keeps a dieter's mind off of food.
Method 7: Swapping High Calorie Foods For Similar Low Calorie Versions
You can lose almost 500 calories a day by swapping high-fat or higher calorie foods for lower calorie ones. Do this for a week and you have easily lost two pounds by the end of that week.
- 1Swap a café latte for a cup of black coffee with a splash of cream.A latte coffee from a franchise like Starbucks can be between 290 and 330 calories, and that is for the smallest size. Instead, have a 12-ounce coffee with skim milk, which only amounts to being 93 calories.
- 2Skip the movie popcorn and bring your own instead.The large buttered tubs of popcorn sold at movie theaters are usually 1000 calories or more. If you bring your own, without butter, you can cut 900 calories from that amount.
- 3If ice cream is a weakness, then eat sherbet or gelato instead.Sherbert and gelato tend to have a couple of hundred less calories in a serving because they contain less cream and sugar. Keep in mind that portion size also has a lot to do with how many calories your ice cream cone will have, so instead of ordering a cone with two scoops, just order one. As a general rule, soft-serve ice cream tends to be less fattening then hard-scooped ice creams.
- 4Trade your tuna sandwich in for a tuna sushi roll.This can save you about 400 calories, or even more if the tuna sandwich has melted cheese on it. As an added bonus, the seaweed in tuna is also healthy for the thyroid, an organ essential for regulating blood sugar and energy levels.
Method 8: By Using Simple Weight Loss Lifestyle Hacks
There are simple things you can every day to help you lose weight quickly that have more to do with your daily rituals and lifestyle habits.
- 1Drink a big glass of water a half an hour before you eat a meal.This can help you feel full.
- 2Dilute all fruit juices by enjoying it in a tall glass the rocks.This can help cut the amount of sugar you are getting from drinking juice as well as help reduce the glycemic impact of the juice as it hits your bloodstream.
- 3Eat off of brightly colored plates, as this tricks your mind into thinking that you are fuller than you actually are.This is a psychological trick, to make you feel satiated and you will be less likely to go for second or third helpings at a meal.
- 4Eat off of smaller plates to avoid serving yourself larger portions.People who use an 8-inch plate instead of a 10-inch one tend to pile less food on it. This is a good trick to adopt whenever you are at a buffet. Ultimately, using a smaller plate can be effective form of portion control, especially if you were hard-wired to believe that you must finish everything on your plate as a child.
- 5Separate your food into 100 gram or 100 calorie containers every time you go grocery shopping or make a meal.This is a form of portion control that can help you easily determine how many calories you are eating at any one time.
- 6Try eating just one food at a time.Choose a single whole food and then chop it up and eat it on it's own with suitable seasonings or condiments. It is thought by some naturopaths and dietitians that combining several foods in a meal can cause weight gain. For instance, have only a red pepper, sliced up with salt and pepper on it rather than an entire salad with red peppers, cucumbers and other ingredients in it.
- 7Drink black coffee or tea.These hot beverages are natural diuretics that help flush toxins and excess fluid out of your system, thus assisting you with weight loss. The caffeine in tea and coffee also helps boost your energy and speed up your metabolism, so that you can lose more weight, faster.
- 8Eat your food slowly and chew it well.Counting to twenty while you chew your food is one way to make sure it is masticated properly and ready for digesting. Swallowing food before it is wholly chewed causes bloat, constipation and digestive problems.
- 9Get a good night's sleep so to optimize the function of all of your body symptoms.People who are fatigued and do not get enough sleep tend to gain weight. It is because they crave sugar and carbs, which help the brain keep you awake.
- 10Brush your teeth after every meal.The peppermint or spearmint taste of the toothbrush turns many people off the idea off of the idea of eating for a few hours. Also, the taste of toothpaste tends to clash with the taste of most food and drink.
- 11Get rid of all temptations that might be lurking in your refrigerator or pantry.Throw out or give away bottles of cola, frozen entrees, packages of noodles and calorie-laden condiments. If they are not on hand, it is a lot harder or you to be tempted to eat them.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Keep your expectations realistic when it comes to losing weight fast as two pounds of weight loss a week is considered to be speedy by most dietitians and doctors
- Avoid crash diets, which can cause detoxification symptoms and calorie deficits that can cause heart beat irregularities, headaches, dizziness, confusion and weakness
- Overdoing exercise in order to lose weight quickly is not a good idea as it leads to muscle fatigue, swelling and pain
- A sure give-away that a meat might be too high in sodium is if the expiry date on the package tells you that it keeps more than three days in the fridge, as that means it has been cured or preserved with a lot of salt.
- It takes about six to eight weeks to get your taste buds used to eating less salt, but worth the lifestyle change if you want to reduce your sodium levels
- People who drink alcohol or smoke a lot of cigarettes do not often feel like exercising to lose weight because they always feel breathless or hungover, so quitting addictions can help you shed pounds
- If you are trying to quit sugar it can help to cut back slowly so that you do not suffer the metabolic blood sugar lows, headaches and bad mood that can sometimes manifest as withdrawal symptoms
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna