Lose Weight Fast on a Clear Liquid Diet
Edited by Donna, Eng
A clear liquid diet is a cleansing one that only allows clear liquids and eliminates most foods, including dairy products. You can lose a pound to three pounds a day on this type of diet and it is recommended that you do not stay on it longer than seven days, or you could risk malnutrition, weakness, convulsions, headache, mental confusion, muscle wasting, severe constipation and brain damage. It is also recommended that you do this classic diet, originally developed for people preparing for or recovering from surgery in the hospital or suffering from inflammatory diseases of the stomach and bowels exactly as prescribed and under the supervision of a medical professional
The diet works because:
- you are severely lessening your calorie intake by at least calories a day, which can cause immediate massive weight loss of one to three pounds a day
- you are giving your digestive system a rest from the inflammation that can be caused by the excessive of sugar, refined carbohydrates and starches or by medical issues such as IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) or diabetes
- the diet will help to completely detoxify your liver, kidneys, lungs, colon and vascular system as it technically meets the description of a fast that helps rinse your body of toxins and break down fat
- 1 Foods Allowed On The Clear Liquid Diet
- 2 The Benefits of Losing Weight on A Clear Liquid Fasting Diet
- 3 Steps to Losing Weight Fast Drinking Only Clear Liquids
- 4 Side Effects of a Clear Liquid Diet
- 5 Transitioning to a Solid Diet From A Clear Liquid Diet
- 6 Tips and Tricks
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Referencing this Article
- 9 Comments
Foods Allowed On The Clear Liquid Diet
You will be able to have limited amounts of the following liquids while you are on the clear liquid diet.
- Water (preferably distilled or spring water)
- Carbonated water, including commercial ones not flavored with artificial sweeteners
- Pure mineral water, including commercial brands not using artificial sweeteners or flavorings
- Sugar-free gelatin made with stevia, Zing or Truvia
Fresh fruit juices made in a juicer and then strained to eliminate all fruit pulp or vegetable manner
- Tomato juice made in a juicer from fresh tomatoes (not canned, because they contain too much sugar
- Vegetable juice made from scratch in a juicer
- Clear fat-free beef, chicken or vegetable broths, preferably a bone broth made with organic ingredients
- Tea or coffee without cream, milk or sugar, but you may flavor the beverages with stevia
- Hard sugar-free candies that are sweetened with stevia or agave syrup and not aspartame or artificial sweeteners
- Popsicles made at home from fresh juices
Keep in mind that your goal with this diet is to take in an adequate amount of calories to keep functioning, or your weight loss plans could backfire. A body that is taking in less than 1200 calories will begin to think that it is experiencing a famine and as a natural metabolic reaction, will start storing all of the calories that you consume as fat.
Also note that the you will likely not feel satisfied on this diet and feel hungry all of the time because your metabolism recognizes liquids differently than it does solids and your mind will not register the liquids you drink as being the kinds of proteins and carbs that give you a feeling of fullness. Be prepared to feel very hungry, at least for the first three days of this liquid cleansing fast.
The Benefits of Losing Weight on A Clear Liquid Fasting Diet
The benefits of losing weight on a clear liquid diet include:
- Rapid weight loss that can reverse conditions like Type II diabetes or acute attacks of irritable bowel syndrome
- After three days, feeling lighter, happier and like you have more energy
- The total elimination of cravings for sugar, junk foods addictive starchy foods (like potato chips and French fries) and high sodium foods
- Ease of movement and less joint and muscle pain, thus enabling you to exercise more freely
- Consuming calories that are rich with the nutrition that your body needs to reset its metabolism and repair damaged cells rather than consuming empty calories that can make you sick and obese
- The elimination of a tendency to bloat and retain water, especially if you are diabetic or have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Steps to Losing Weight Fast Drinking Only Clear Liquids
This is a very severe and strict low-calorie diet that involves a certain level of starvation so it is important for you to prepare for this by setting a goal and limit of seven days and by making yourself as comfortable as possible. Do not plan on exercising and be prepared to be bed ridden as the lack of calories makes you feel fatigued. When the toxins being cleaned out of your major organs hit your bloodstream during the first three days, you could possibly feel quite unwell. The symptoms of detoxification using a liquid diet are similar to having a bad case of the flu.
This type of diet is also not that conducive to doing while you are at work and is best done during a stretch of free time where you have no obligations whatsoever to your job or to others. However, you may be able to accomplish smaller chores and daily routines, it is laid out here with the intention of helping you receive about 200 grams of glucose throughout your body six times a day so that your blood sugar levels remain level.
- 1For breakfast have one eight ounce glance of pulp-free fruit juice on ice, one bowl of flavored gelatin and 1 cup of coffee or tea.The fruit or vegetable juice should be strained so that it is a pure as possible and drinking it on ice can help slow down the way the sugars in the fruit juice hit your bloodstream. One of the simplest drinks you can make is distilled water with a shot of lemon juice in it on ice. You are not allowed to have dairy in your coffee, but you can use stevia as a sweetener in both the lemonade and for your morning coffee or tea.Advertisement
- 2For a mid-morning snack have another bowl of flavored clear gelatin and 1 glass of pulp-free fruit juice on ice.Make sure that the gelatin is sugar-free. You can make your own gelatin by softening a packet Knox gelatin in a bowl with 1 cup of warm water and fruit juice of your choice. If must add sweetener to the gelatin, add as little as possible because even Stevia can make clear liquid a bit cloudy.Advertisement
- 3For lunch have a glass of pulp-free fruit juice, one cup broth and 1 bowl of gelatin.You can make drinking the broth a bit more interesting by adding a sprig of rosemary, tarragon or dill. You can also transform the broth into an immune system booster by cutting a piece in half and soaking it in the liquid and then removing the two garlic halves just before it is served.
- 4For a mid-afternoon snack have 1 sugar free ice pop made with real fruit juice and 1 cup of coffee or tea.Remember that sweeteners, sugar and dairy are not allowed in these beverages. The ice pop can be made simply by freezing your favorite pulp-free juice in a popsicle mold. Be aware that it takes most refrigerators about six hours to freeze popsicles solid. It can also take popsicles made without sugar a lot longer to freeze than ones mad with ugar.
- 5For dinner, have one glass of pulp free fruit juice and one bowl of gelatin.You can relieve the tedium of drinking similar foods all day by making the glass of your juice that you drink as different as possible from your gelatin. For instance, you can have a glass of tomato juice with a bowl of cherry gelatin so that you psychological feel like you are eating a savory dish followed by dessert.
- 6For an evening snack, you may have another ice pop and a big glass of water.Try not to drink too much juice before you got to bed at night because that can trigger reactions that can keep you up a night.Advertisement
Side Effects of a Clear Liquid Diet
Side effects, that typically occur during the first three days of being on this type of diet can include:
- Severe hunger pains and growling of the stomach
- Nausea and dizziness caused by the detoxification process
- Headaches that are the result of the cleansed toxins reaching your brain from the bloodstream
- Sore joints and stiff muscles that make it hard to exercise
- Physical weakness and fatigue, which is the result of eating so few calories
- Very rapid weight loss that can result in sagging skin
- Foggy thinking and mental confusion
- Bad breath as toxins try to exit the lungs
- Depression, mood swings and emotional instability
- Insomnia or restlessness from severe hunger
- Diarrhea, which can also be the result of rapid detoxification
- Candida yeast outbreaks on your skin that are the result of your body detoxifying too quickly
Side effects tend to disappear within three days and after that you may experience an improvement of any health symptoms that may be holding you back from losing weight, such as bloating, a lack of energy or joint or muscle pain. Many people experience a lifting of depression and feel more focused and calm after being on a cleansing fast.
Transitioning to a Solid Diet From A Clear Liquid Diet
Transitioning gently from a liquid diet to a solid one requires a transition period of about two days. The types of foods eaten during this diet are still mostly liquid, so it is often referred to as full liquid diet. When you transition from a liquid diet, you may begin to slowly add the following back into your daily diet �"
- Cream soups made from blended vegetable bases like cauliflower or celery soup
- Vegetable or meat soups with noodles, which helps your body gently adjust to the idea of eating carbs again
- Sugar free creamy gelatin puddings
- Whole grain crackers, preferably gluten-free to avoid irritating your bowel
- Oatmeal with a nut milk like almond milk or cashew milk (unless you know that nuts are a food that triggers inflammatory reactions in your gut)
- Salads made with leafy greens and a dressing made from apple cider vinegar and oil
- Fruit, especially apples, which will help kick start your liver and kidneys into operating fully again
- Bananas, which will help your intestines contract and eliminate properly after being static for a week
- Coconut water
- Smoothies made with plenty of powdered protein such as whey powder, hemp powder or pumpkin seed powder
- Sugar-free sorbets or ice creams made with rice milk or soy milk
You may still stay on your regimen of eating gelatin and clear soups as you add solid food. Most people can resume eating their normal diets after two days of integrating more solid, creamy foods into their eating regimen.
Tips and Tricks
- Stay away from meal-substitute drinks such as Ensure or Boost which contain a lot of artificial sweetener, chemicals and colorants and which can also contain enormous amounts of sugar, which can sabotage your weight loss
- Be sure to accompany every meal with a big eight ounce glass of spring or distilled water to help cleanse your organs and blood of toxins.
- It is probably not a good idea to go on this type of diet if you have a metabolic disorder like pre-diabetes, Type II diabetes or diabetes without the strict supervision of a medical professional or dietitian who can help you deal with any changes in blood sugar levels that might develop
- Do not consider this diet if you suffer from an eating disorder such as anorexia nervosa or bulimia
- Do not eat any food that is not on the recommended list of foods or any food that is not clear or you could sabotage your entire seven day weight loss plan and trigger a bout of binge eating
- You can make the spring and carbonated waters that you drink on this clear liquids cleansing diet a bit more interesting by adding a bit of clear, preferably freshly-squeezed organic juice to it.
- Taking a hot bath in Epsom salts or Dead Sea Salts can help deal with the muscle pains and sore joints associated with this
- Do not drink colas or teas sweetened with artificial sweeteners such as Splenda, Equal, Nutra-Sweet or Sweet N' Low as these man-made foods damage the liver and sabotage weight loss efforts
- Stay away from any teas or beverages with artificial colorings, additives or preservatives or you could put stress on your kidneys and liver
- If you experience nausea and dizziness during this cleansing diet then you can treat it with ginger, Gravol or Betahistamine (prescribed by a doctor) or you can try drinking lemon juice in a glass of hot water with a pinch of baking soda
- Do not return to old eating habits after the seven day fast with clear liquids is over or you will regain all of the weight that you lost back quite quickly
- Note that coconut water is not allowed on this diet as it is not considered to be a clear fluid
- Ask your doctor or dietitian whether or not you should be supplementing your diet with zinc, iron and B vitamins if you find yourself gaining a great deal of weight in your upper intestinal area just below your ribcage shortly after doing this liquid diet
- Taking a probiotic every day once you have completed the liquid diet can help prevent weight gain and restore balance to your intestinal flora if you happen to be suffering an overgrowth of candida yeast due to being on a clear liquid diet
- Get plenty of rest while you are on a diet like this because your body will need to have time to deal with the weakness and fatigue it causes as well as the unpleasant symptoms of detoxification
- If you are unable to sleep because of hunger pangs, consider drinking some grape juice, as grapes are a natural source of melatonin
- Consider diffusing aromatic oils that are known for relaxing troubled minds and restless bodies through the air such as lavender, marjoram, petitgrain, geranium, orange and olden frankinscence
- Be aware that if you do not stick to basic lifestyle changes, such as exercising every day and avoiding sugar, starches and fatty foods, you will gain all of the weight that you have lost back
Questions and Answers
What is the actual name of this clear liquid diet? Just so I am not confused. And where to go and buy this product?
I am not an over weight person. I just really need to lose less than 5kg. Due to being a jockey. I have to lose weight fast in few days. Due to work as a jokey. Can you let me know how much you lose weight with this diet? How much do you or can you lose?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
What exactly is the name of the clear liquid, doesn't say in the article?
No where in the article does it say the name of the clear liquid. What is the name of it? I want to try it but can't if I don't know what it's called
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Lose Weight Fast on a Clear Liquid Diet. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_Fast_on_a_Clear_Liquid_Diet
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Lose Weight Fast on a Clear Liquid Diet." VisiHow, visihow.com/Lose_Weight_Fast_on_a_Clear_Liquid_Diet Accessed 25 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Lose Weight Fast on a Clear Liquid Diet." Accessed Mar 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Lose_Weight_Fast_on_a_Clear_Liquid_Diet.
Categories : Weight Loss
Recent edits by: Donna