Log Into Windows 8.1 Without Entering Password After Waking Up from Sleep Mode
Edited by Doug Collins, Eng, Grimm, jabr
Windows 8 made it easy to log into Windows without requiring a password. After upgrading to Windows 8.1 most users get very frustrated when they can't figure out how to get rid of the login prompt. I myself almost bought an apple Laptop over this issue but I finally figured it out and thought I would post what I learned here. The problem is caused by the new external Microsoft user login that comes with Windows 8.1 They are trying to copy apple and Android OS setups where you have all your settings, bookmarks, apps, etc linked to an email ID.
There are two solutions based on whether or not you want to login to your computer through your local user or the new Windows 8.1 Microsoft user. The advantage to using the Microsoft user ID is that your settings and apps will now go with you to every device you use this ID with. Follow the steps below that match your choice:
- 1 Steps: Auto login to Windows 8.1 via a LOCAL user
- 2 Steps: Auto login to Windows 8.1 via a MICROSOFT email ID
- 3 Questions and Answers
- 4 Comments
Steps: Auto login to Windows 8.1 via a LOCAL user
- 1Hold down the Windows button + RAdvertisement
- 2Alternatively if you have an older computer without this button just swipe in from the right and click on SEARCH.A window should appear that will allow you to run any program.Advertisement
- 4Press Enter
- 5Uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer"
- 6If you are new to Windows 8.1 you can right mouse click on the Windows logo in the bottom left corner of the screen and choose "Shut down or sign out" to accomplish this.Logout and then Log back in.
Steps: Auto login to Windows 8.1 via a MICROSOFT email ID
Why Microsoft thinks it is OK to have two places to do that same thing, but they only work for a specific user type in each case, is behind me. However that is the state of this thing they call Windows 8.1
- 1Press the Windows home or swipe in from the right and choose SEARCH.Advertisement
- 2Enter "sign"
- 3Choose that option.Sign-in options should appear.
- 4Now an ACCOUNTS screen will come up with a number of options
- 5The last option should say "Password Policy" with a button that says CHANGE.
- 6Click on change.
- 7Now logout and re-login
Please post below if you run into any trouble after trying both these options.
Questions and Answers
How do I bypass the Admin password on my Windows 8 system?
I forgot the Admin password, and am not using a local account. Is there any way to bypass it without using a disk or flash drive? I have no access to another computer.
If you are not using a local account, then you should be able to remotely reset the password using your phone, and your Microsoft Account. To do this, follow these steps:
- 2Select 'I forgot my password'.
- 3Enter your Microsoft Account Email that you use to log into the system.
- 4Enter the Captcha text you see.
- 5Click Next.
- 6Select ' Send a Code to My Phone'.
- 7Choose to receive a message or phone call.
- 8Wait for the message or call.
- 9Enter your code, and press 'Submit'.
- 10Enter a new password.
- 11Enter it again.
- 12Press next.
- 13You can now log in with your new password.Advertisement
Eliminated Win 8.1 password requirement on start up but password on sleep wake still a pain and tutorials from internet have not solved?
Sleep wake still requires password
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Windows
Recent edits by: Grimm, Eng, Doug Collins