Know the Health Benefits of Bananas
Edited by Maria
Bananas are among the world's healthiest fruits. They are fruits that everyone should add to his or her diet plan.
The banana is said to be able to treat many types of health problems, from digestive to osteo to neurological problems. It has been thought that bananas can also reduce morning sickness or nausea, combat depression, ease a hangover, and even make you smarter.
Bananas are easy to find. You can buy them at supermarkets and grocery stores. You may want to store a bunch of bananas in your kitchen and get one whenever you are hungry for a snack. In one banana a day, you will be able to get many nutrients you need.
Bananas are a rich source of vitamin C, potassium, vitamin B6, etc. The average sized banana contains 95 calories, but is low in fat with zero cholesterol. It also has low in sodium and is an excellent source of fiber.
If you're interested in learning the health benefits of bananas as well as different variations, and the vitamins and minerals they contain that are responsible for promoting a better health, keep reading.
Types of Bananas
Like many fruits, bananas have different varieties, depending on the place they grow. What many people think is that all bananas are yellow, but actually, some bananas are green or red. In this section, you will learn the types of bananas that are available at supermarkets and grocery stores:
- 1Cavendish bananas.Advertisement
- 2Red bananas.Advertisement
- 3Plantain bananas.
- 4Burro bananas.
- 5Manzano bananas.
- 6Nino or baby bananas.
Take note that there are two major types of bananas: The plantains and those simply known as bananas. The plantains are not sweet, so they are used as starchy vegetables for cooking, frying, and making some desserts. On the other hand, plain bananas can be eaten either fresh, raw, or cooked. Plantain bananas are longer than ordinary bananas. The plantains are green or yellow, and some are even black with thicker skins, while the ordinary bananas are green when unripe, but yellow when they turn ripe.
What Do We Get from Eating Bananas?
- 1Bananas are loaded with helpful nutrients, which are good for the health and mind.There is a debate whether a banana is good for dieters, since a large banana has about 95-125 calories. This may not be good for people who are on a diet. However, what you may not know is that the calories found in bananas are actually fat-free calories. Bananas are good substitutes for desserts and other sweet foods. That is why many people eat them, because they feel energized after eating one banana. The good calories found in bananas can make one energetic throughout the day. The best news is that the calories are nearly fat-free, which is really good for dieters and those who want to lose weight.Advertisement
- 2Bananas are rich sources of fiber.What is the role of fiber in one's body, anyway? Fiber can help digest solid foods in our body and regulate bowel movements. It removes unwanted fats and toxins in the body and helps keep the digestive lining safe and healthy. When you eat bananas, you will also feed the probiotic bacteria in your gut, making you become a lot healthier. Fiber helps control the blood sugar levels, which are good for people with type 2 diabetes. It slows down the absorption of sugar in the bloodstream. Fiber can help reduce bad cholesterol in the body, as well. The nutrient also helps reduce the risk of cancer formations, such as breast and colon cancer.
- 3Bananas are rich sources of potassium.The main responsibility of potassium in one's body is that it helps regulate body fluid levels. It is one of the important electrolytes in the body, making the entire body and healthy cells work properly. It helps make all systems work well, from central to cardiovascular, and all systems in between.
- 4Bananas are excellent sources of vitamin B6.Vitamin B6 deficiency results in anemia, cracks at both corners of the mouth, scaly skin on the lips, itchy rashes, and a swollen tongue, among other problems. This vitamin can help prevent many forms of diseases and ailments, such as neurological diseases, cardiovascular diseases, etc.
- 5Bananas also contain vitamin C, which is good for boosting the immune system.The fruits also help protect the body against free radicals and other foreign substances. Make it a habit to eat at least one banana a day to protect yourself from viral diseases, such as common colds and flu. Children can also eat a banana a day to make them more alert and smarter at school.
Health Benefits of Bananas:
Now you have learned the most popular vitamins and minerals found in bananas; you may want to learn more about the health benefits of the fruits below:
- 1Bananas help protect your eyesight.In the journal Archives of Ophthalmology, it was reported that three or more servings of fruits daily can help reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration, which usually occurs in older adults. Loss of vision is a big problem when you get older. In order to prevent this issue, you have to eat at least three servings of fruit a day.Advertisement
- 2Bananas help treat digestive problems.Diarrhea is a serious health problems that can make one become inactive – because you have no energy. When you have a diarrhea, it will deplete all the nutrients in your body. However, if you eat a banana when you have been having diarrhea, it will help you replenish all the fluids and other nutrients you have lost, because bananas are rich sources of potassium, a natural electrolyte mineral. In addition to potassium, bananas are excellent sources of fiber that can help eliminate toxins and regulate bowel movements. The fruits will also help ease stomach pains, including constipation and ulcers. The nutrients found in bananas can help normalize the stomach lining, making thicker mucus to protect it from damage and stomach acids. In fact, the stomach acids are risk factors for stomach ulcers.
- 3Bananas can help help prevent cardiovascular problems.Potassium in bananas can help protect your heart from cardiovascular diseases. It helps normalize your heart function as well as your blood pressure. One large banana contains 467 milligrams of potassium, with only 1 milligram of sodium. In one study about potassium-rich foods for the heart, researchers monitored 40,000 male Americans for four consecutive years to study the effects of potassium on blood pressure. Some researchers claim that men who ate rich sources of potassium had reduced risk of heart failure. You may want to eat a banana a day to help avoid getting cardiovascular diseases.
- 4Bananas can help strengthen your bones.Bananas do not contain rich sources of calcium, but they do help promote calcium absorption. How do bananas strengthen the bones? Bananas contain rich sources of fructooligosaccharide, an essential compound called probiotic. This compound helps nourish the good bacteria (probiotics) in the colon. The role of these bacteria is to produce digestive enzymes and nutrients that can help promote one's ability to absorb nutrients, including calcium. When this compound is fermented by the probiotics, the number of probiotic bacteria increases, and the body's ability to absorb calcium improves. Calcium helps strengthen the bones.
- 5Bananas can help reduce the risk of kidney-related diseases.There are 190,000 reports of kidney cancer diagnosed each year. Smoking, obesity, exposure to toxic fumes and chemicals, and high blood pressure are major risk factors that can lead to kidney cancer. According to the researchers in the International Journal of Cancer, regular but moderate consumption of fruits and veggies daily, most especially bananas, can protect one against kidney-related diseases. Among the fruits and veggies, bananas are the most protective fruits against kidney cancer. This was proven effective when the researchers conducted a based protective study for about 14 years on 61,000 women aged 40-76. The study shows that women who eat more than 75 servings of vegetables and fruits monthly could decrease the risk of kidney cancer by 40 percent. [A month of 75 servings is equivalent to 2.5 daily servings.]
How to Use Bananas for Making a Smoothie
While eating fresh bananas is a great way to consume all the nutrients found in them, drinking blended bananas with other healthy ingredients is another great way to become healthier than ever. Below are instructions on how to use bananas for making smoothies:
Banana with Skimmed Milk Smoothie:
- Place all ingredients, except the extra honey, in a blender and blend them smoothly and thoroughly.
- Fill your glass with the smoothie and add extra honey to taste.
- Drink your new banana with skimmed milk smoothie!
Banana with Almond Smoothie:
- 1Ingredients:[Serves four persons]
- 2 ripe, peeled and sliced large bananas
- 2 cups of almond milk
- 2 cups of ice cubes
- Ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. of vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. of golden brown sugar
- Place all ingredients, except the nutmeg, into a blender and blend them smoothly.
- Fill your glass with the smoothie and sprinkle it with ground nutmeg.
- Enjoy your new banana with almond smoothie!
Tips & Warnings
- The right number of bananas to consume daily varies from person to person. Some can tolerate a lot, while others may experience side effects. It is better to eat one banana a day with a combination of other fruits, maybe in a fruit salad. Or, you can alternate the fruits and vegetables you eat daily. Keep your foods as varied as possible - this is also recommended by many health professionals.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness