Learn and Practice a New Language
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Maria and 4 others
People want to learn a new language for many different reasons. They may desire to learn for financial and religious, to personal reasons.
Many people wonder what it is like to learn a new language for adults, and some tips that can help an adult to learn. It is usually more difficult for an adult to learn a new language, and children will pick up a new language a lot quicker. This is because they have studied the language at an early age and children absorb new languages more easily.
As a general rule of thumb, you can easily adapt to a new language by just being around someone who speaks a different language. This is known as the immersion method. Amazingly, children can normally pick up two languages at the same time! Keep in mind that one needs to be patient when learning a new language. It can take a while before one can master it.
You will certainly make mistakes, and this is normal. Don't worry about it even if other people laugh at you because you make a mistake. The time will come that you will be as good as them only when you have a determination and perseverance in learning a new language. Below are some helpful ways to learn and practice a new language:
Helpful Ways to Learn and Practice a New Language:
- 1Start with basic words, phrases, and sentences.In order to learn a new language, you have to start with the basic. Familiarize yourself with some new words, phrases, and sentences. If you want to keep them in your mind, you have to copy them in a notebook. Read them and add more to it day by day. These will help you remember them and bring the notebook with you wherever you go. You might want to read them if you get bored.Advertisement
- 2Watch foreign movies in a target language.Foreign movies should have the target language you want to learn. If you are learning French, then you should watch French movies. Jargon and slang expressions should be studied because you will use them when you visit France and talk with French people there. If some people speak unusual expressions, which you are not familiar with because they are not in the dictionary, then they might be using jargon or slang words. By watching foreign movies, you will be able to learn these words and when and how to use them during a conversation.Advertisement
- 3Listen to some foreign songs in a target language.Listening to foreign songs is also helpful. This will help enrich your listening skills, vocabulary as well as proper pronunciation of some words. You can also sing along with the song, so that you will learn how the words are pronounced properly. In this case, you do not have to hire a language consultant just to learn a language.
- 4Study the grammar of the target language.Who says you do not have to study grammar in your target language? You have to study from basic to complex grammar, as this can help you communicate with foreigners well. In order to be understood and to understand, you should speak grammatically correct sentences. You can buy a grammar book of your target language, and study it every day.
- 5Make foreign friends online.Social networking sites are very popular nowadays. Many people use these sites to talk with foreigners. Find a website that has a lot of people who speak in your target language. You can talk with them and learn from each other at the same time. Not only that can it help you find friends, it can also help you improve your communication skills. A lot of foreigners are also willing to help you learn a target language without paying them.
- 6Join a target language corner near your place.If you have language corners in your place, why not join there? There are a lot of people who are also learning the same language as you do. In these language corners, they will only speak the target language. They will conduct some activities that can boost their communication skills, such as a debate. This can help boost your communication skills in a target language.
- 7Practice what you have learned.What is the purpose of studying some words, grammar, and expressions if you do not practice them by talking? If you have friends who are learning the same target language, why not practice speaking it in your group? Change your official language to the target language which all of you want to learn. This is a great way to improve your communication skills.
- 8Speak with foreigners personally.In this part, you should try talking with foreigners who speak in your target language. For example, if you are learning Russian, why not join a circle of friends where there are many Russians? While practicing a language with your native friends is also beneficial, it is not as better as talking with real Russian people. You will learn a lot more from them.
- 9Write in the target language.Writing in the target language can also help practice your knowledge about the grammar, words, sentences, etc. These can be helpful in polishing your grammar. You can review it once you are done, and you will notice some mistakes you make. You will be able to correct it by yourself. Or, you can ask someone you know who is fluent in the target language to correct your writing.
- 10Have passion and perseverance in learning a new language.If you do not have these qualities, you will not be able to learn a new language. If you do not love what you do, you will not learn effectively. If you do not have perseverance, you will not become fluent in your target language.Advertisement
- Refrain from speaking in your first language, and start practicing in your target language. You are now fluent in your native tongue, so why not practice and improve your target language?
- Download some helpful online language tools and software for learning a target language. Some are paid ones on the internet. Make sure that you will choose the one that is legitimate.
- Always bring a reliable dictionary with you. Take note that not all dictionaries are exact. Choose ones that are trustworthy and have different meanings.
- Refrain from watching TV shows and movies in your own language. This will only delay the pace of learning the target language. Surround yourself with some learning materials and movies in the target language. This will help you learn a language fast.
- Do not rely on online translators! Not all online translator software are reliable. These software can translate a word from a language to another language, but they cannot translate a long sentence and a paragraph correctly. If they do, there may be some grammatical errors and sentence structure issues. These cannot help you learn a new language effectively.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.