Learn Yoga with the Tree Pose
Edited by HealthNut, Eng, VisiHow
The Tree Pose, or Vriksasana is an asana pose used to strengthen the ankle, thigh, calf and spinal column. The pose can be used to improve your balance, focus, memory and concentration. However, if you have recently injured your knee or hip, or suffer chronic pain in those areas then you should consult a doctor before attempting this pose.
Equipment You Will Need
- The tree pose does not require a yoga mat, as it can be completed anywhere. However, if you would like some extra grip then it is recommended that you use one.
- Some stretchy yoga trousers
- A sleeveless or baggy shirt to ensure you have the correct level of arm movement.
The Tree Pose - Step-by-Step
- 4Press our left foot into the floor firmly and try to keep the right knee at a 90 degree angle. Make sure your shoulders are down and your chest is pushing forward.If you find you're losing your balance continue to stare at the point you have selected.
- 5You can then link your thumbs together and interlace your fingers, with the index fingers pointed towards the ceiling. Be sure to keep your shoulders back.If you are well-balanced at this point you can attempt a harder version by inhaling and lifting your arms above your head so you form an 'H' position.
- 6Try this for 4-8 breaths.Breathe in and hold.
- 8Change legs and repeat on the other side.
- 9Make sure to cool down as well, which is discussed in our article on how to do a Yoga cool down.Advertisement
Variations on this Pose
You can build up a sequence of poses if you add different poses such as the Mountain Pose and the Crescent Moon. There are also several modifications you can attempt with this pose as well. For example you could bring your arms out to the sides if you are struggling for balance to gain more stability or you could practice the pose by placing a hand on a wall in order to gain a better balance.
See our other tutorials on exercises: Learn Yoga with the Childs Pose, Learn Yoga with the Downward Dog, Learn Yoga with the Mountain Pose, Build Better Glutes Using an Exercise Ball, Build Better Glutes at Home with 4 Simple Exercises, Activate Glutes with Simple Exercises, and Properly Stretch Your Lower Body.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.