Learn Yoga with the Happy Baby Pose
Edited by HealthNut, Eng, VisiHow
Baby Pose, or as it is sometimes called Happy Baby Pose or Ananda Balasana, is a basic yoga pose that even beginner yogis and yoginis should be able to master with relative ease. Using this pose will allow you to gently stretch out the inside of your groin muscles and the back section of the spinal column. Being able to maintain this pose calms the brain, which helps to relieve the mind and body of stress and can relieve tiredness. However, you should exercise caution when attempting this if you are pregnant or if you have suffered from a knee or neck injury. If you still wish to try the pose out, be sure to support you head with a thickly rolled blanket and stop if you feel any of your muscles are being strained.
What equipment will you need to get started?
- Although this pose can be performed anywhere, it is recommended you have a good quality yoga mat.
- Some stretchy yoga trousers.
- A baggy shirt or a vest which allows for maximum arm movement.
Happy Baby Pose Step-by-Step guide:
- 1Learn how to warm up for yoga with our step-by-step guide.Advertisement
- 2Before you start, once again, if you have any injuries to your neck and shoulders, then roll up a thick blanket and then place that behind your head for extra support. On your next exhale, bend your knees up towards your belly and hold them as close as you can without straining your muscles.Begin by lying on your back, keeping your shoulders and neck relaxed and facing the ceiling.Advertisement
- 4This should make your shins perpendicular to the floor if you do it correctly. Flex your legs through the heels of your feet and then slowly push into your hands with your feet. At the same time, pull downwards with your hands so a resistance force is created between your legs and your arms.Try to position each of your ankles over your knees.
Variants for this pose:
- If you are struggling with holding your feet with your hands or if you are a novice at the pose and lack the flexibility of a more experienced yogi or yogini, then you can get two belts or some specially made yoga bands and wrap one around the sole of each foot. This will allow you to do the pose without having to potentially injure yourself by straining your back trying to reach your feet. However, be careful with the use of belts around your feet as using them incorrectly could potentially cause more injuries than they would help you.
- To prepare for this pose, it is recommended you can do Child's Pose and Hero Pose. You can create a sequence using these poses before Happy Baby Pose to warm up; so, it is easier for you. After this pose, you can add more beginner poses to the sequence, for example, Downward-Facing Dog would be an excellent addition to a sequence.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Learn Yoga with the Happy Baby Pose. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Learn_Yoga_with_the_Happy_Baby_Pose
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Learn Yoga with the Happy Baby Pose." VisiHow, visihow.com/Learn_Yoga_with_the_Happy_Baby_Pose Accessed 27 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Learn Yoga with the Happy Baby Pose." Accessed May 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Learn_Yoga_with_the_Happy_Baby_Pose.
Categories : Sports
Recent edits by: Eng, HealthNut