Learn Yoga with the Childs Pose
Edited by HealthNut, Eng, VisiHow
The Child's Pose is a well-known yoga technique, which is used to help people calm their body, mind, and spirit. It is also associated with the 'third-eye point', a point on a person's forehead, typically associated with pain relief and also linked to a reduction in depression in some people. The Child's Pose stretches the lower back, tones your abdomen and stimulates digestion. However, do not attempt this pose if you have had recent or have chronic injuries in your knees, as this pose can aggravate these injuries.
What You Will Need
- A yoga mat
- Stretchy yoga trousers
- A baggy shirt or vest which allows for maximum arm movement.
- A proper warm up, which can be found in our article on how to warm up before yoga.
The Child's Pose - Step-by-Step
- 3Breathe in slowly and deeply, try to press your stomach to your thighs as you inhale.
- 4Inhale and hold.Do this for around 4-12 breaths depending on how confident you feel in the pose.
- 5To release this pose put your palms under your shoulders and slowly breathe in while rising to a seated position.
- 6Don't forget to cool down.If you would like more information on cooling down after attempting this posture please view our article on how to cool down after practicing Yoga.Advertisement
Variations on The Child's Pose
If you are having trouble with this pose, then try placing a blanket under your hips, knees or head to make it more comfortable. You can open your knees wider to try and slip your arms between your legs and turning your head to the side if you are confident with the simpler version of the pose. If you are pregnant and attempting the pose, you can spread your legs wider to remove the pressure from your stomach.
See our other tutorials on exercises: Learn Yoga with the Tree Pose, Learn Yoga with the Downward Dog, Learn Yoga with the Mountain Pose, Build Better Glutes Using an Exercise Ball, Build Better Glutes at Home with 4 Simple Exercises, Activate Glutes with Simple Exercises, and Properly Stretch Your Lower Body.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.