Know the Layout and Parts of Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Charmed, Melissa Meyer, Melanie Cuizon and 8 others
- 1 This is part of the mother VisiHow on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. You can visit the link of the VisiHow here - USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
- 2 illustration
- 3 Functions of Each Part
- 4 Galaxy S4 proximity sensor, distance range
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 Installed Line App. How do I take a screen shot with a Galaxy S4?
- 5.2 I dropped my phone, and the screen won't come on?
- 5.3 What is the chrome piece that covers the earpiece called?
- 5.4 I'm new and learning that is all, wow how long does the question need to be?
- 5.5 No one can hear me talk, but I can hear them clearly?
- 6 Comments
Just like any electronic device, knowing the parts and how they work will help you enjoy your phone more. Also, knowing how a part functions will help you understand how to take care of it to ensure functionality for longer periods. We have shown the layout and the parts of your phone, and we will be guiding you on what is the function of each part.
Functions of Each Part
- 1Light Sensor - senses the current ambient lighting conditions of your environment and can switch the brightness display of your screen to make sure you get the best view and battery consumption.You need to enable auto-brightness adjustment in the Display Settings to get this part to function.Advertisement
- 2Proximity / Gesture Sensor - senses the distance of anything from your phone.This is critical when making calls. The proximity sensor automatically locks your phone during a call when it senses that your head is close to it. This way, you won't be able to press on other buttons while you have the call going. This is also used in gestures. The sensor detects and acts based on the gesture it detects. To know more about gestures, see the guide on using it on the mother, VisiHow.Advertisement
- 3Notification light - signals when there is a new notification on your phone.Notifications include SMS, MMS, emails, missed calls, software updates, and notifications from applications.
- 4Front camera - allows you to take a self-portrait while looking at your phone screen.This is also used as a web camera when using online chatting applications. This has a lower picture quality versus the rear one.
- 5Earpiece - allows you to listen to calls.All the words spoken from the other line can be heard from this part when you are not on headphones or using the loudspeaker.
- 6Power Button - allows you to turn on and off your phone.To turn on or off, simply press and hold on this button. Pressing this button once will lock and unlock your phone screen.
- 7Touch Screen - this is the display of your phone and at the same time the part where you give the most command to your phone.
- 8Home Button - allows you to go to the home menu or switch in-between applications.Pressing this button once will take you to the home menu. Pressing and holding it will show you a list of active applications. You can then opt to switch applications or end and close them.
- 9Menu Button - allows you to view all the allowable actions you can do currently.Pressing the button when an application is open opens the list of menus available.
- 10Back Button - allows you to close an application or go back to the last page (when using a web browser) or go to the home menu (when using other applications).
- 11Microphone - allows you to talk to calls.All the words spoken on your line should be directed to this part when you are not on headphones or using the loudspeaker.
- 12Multipurpose Jack - allows you to connect different peripherals and accessories to your phone.This also serves as the charging port to your phone.
- 13Ir LED - allows you to transfer files via S Beam.This works just like an infrared port (and is one) in which devices should be close when transferring files.
- 14Microphone for Speakerphone - allows you to give commands to your phone.All words spoken to your phone for hands-free purposes will be directed to this part.
- 15GPS antenna - allows you to use GPS on your phone.GPS enables your phone to be associated with its current location via satellite. This will help you with directional needs.
- 16Headset Jack - allows you to listen to music and take calls by using your headset or headphones.
- 17Rear Camera - allows you to take normal pictures and videos.This has a higher picture quality versus the front one.
- 18Flash - allows you to take better pictures on dark environment.Functions like a normal camera flash.
- 19Volume Button - allows you to adjust your phone's volume to a higher or lower level.This also works as the up and down button when you are on the recovery menu.
- 20Back Cover - covers your battery to prevent it from falling off.This can be removed to allow changing of battery and memory card.
- 21Speaker - allows you to listen to music and serves as the earpiece when the loudspeaker is turned on during a call.
- 22Main antenna - captures the signal from your network service providers and other radio connections like Bluetooth, WiFi and FM frequency (FM may not available to all Samsung Galaxy S4 models).Advertisement
Galaxy S4 proximity sensor, distance range
The new Samsung Galaxy S4 has a new type of features added in the unit itself. It is called Air Gesture. Air Gesture most common name people may know is the proximity sensor. The proximity sensor is the most awaited feature of phones that people want. Air gestures read the process of hand movement in front of its screen. Air gesture button at the top front of your front screen can be seen. Air Gesture is a unique way to use and interact with your phones. You can use its sensor by simply placing it to your ear and then it turns the screen off. You have many things to do with the air gesture. You can use this when you see the picture gallery saved on your device, you can use your hand by forwarding or back-warding the photos by using only your hands. Many options can you do with Air gestures.
- Air Jump what they called it. When you are using your phone for example surfing the web, you can use your hand by jump in the air vertically at your phone's front screen. By this, you can scroll the web page by using only your hand.
- Secondly, the Quick Glance at your phone. When you have a notification, any missed calls, or any receive new messages, you can use your hand by simply swiping in front of your home screen and then it suddenly turns unlocked when the screen is off.
- Most of the time, people wanted also this air gesture for the incoming calls acceptance. And finally, yes. You can use the air gesture for answering calls. Just simply move your hand to the left and then follow to the right across the sensor to answer the calls.
Just be sure that the distance you are interacting with your phone front screen is half a foot. Interact with your phone in a long distance cannot sensor by it.
Questions and Answers
Installed Line App. How do I take a screen shot with a Galaxy S4?
How do I take a screen shot using Line App on a Galaxy S4
For a Samsung Galaxy S4, you will need to open your phone's screen, find the imagine in which you would like to capture. From there you will need to press and hold the standby key (which can be found on the right side of your phone) while pressing the home button at the same time. You will know that your phone has screen shot the photo when the border of your phone flashes.
I dropped my phone, and the screen won't come on?
I dropped my phone and the screen won't come on. I hear it boot up and see the notification light.
There might be several reasons to that: the connection between the screen and motherboard is broken, or there is a mechanical damage to either screen or motherboard. Unfortunately, if you do not want to disassemble the unit and check the connector, which might be not the cause of the damage, then return it to the store where you have purchased it or visit a service center that can fix Samsung devices (you can check some of the service centers at http://www.samsung.com/in/support/servicelocation/).
What is the chrome piece that covers the earpiece called?
I've ordered new earpiece because the chrome piece is missing. When I received it there is no chrome piece. is this a separate part that I can order? I can't find it in any parts listing.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
I'm new and learning that is all, wow how long does the question need to be?
I don't have a specific question. I'm new to the S4 and just looking to learn how to use it. have been using a basic LG 90 the last 2 years, and palm before that.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
No one can hear me talk, but I can hear them clearly?
Please help. No one can hear me speak, but I can hear them clearly. Why is this happening?. I have tried: Everything. I think it was caused by: No idea
Here are some possible solutions.
- Disable all of the Bluetooth pairings. Press the home button. Tap on "Apps" > "Settings" > "Bluetooth". Tap devices and tap on "unpair".
- Plug in and take out headphones. Use compressed air to clean the socket for the headphones or use a pin to clean it.
- Clean the small microphone opening at the bottom of the phone with compressed air and pin, if necessary.
- Make sure your small finger is not covering the microphone hole when you are talking.
- Restart your smartphone.
- Hard-reset your smartphone.
- Bring the smartphone to a Samsung service center.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: Concernedmom, Jen M, jenny.2886