Know the Language of Flowers
Edited by Donna, Maria
- 1 Why You Need to Know the Meaning of Flowers
- 2 Flowers That Celebrate a Graduation
- 3 Flowers That Celebrate An Anniversary
- 4 Flowers That Celebrate a Birth Announcement or Birth
- 5 Flowers That Celebrate an Engagement or Wedding
- 6 Flowers That Speak of Courtship and Romance
- 7 Flowers For A Funeral or Celebration of Life
- 8 Flowers For Health That Say Get Well Soon
- 9 Flowers That Celebrate Mother's Day
- 10 Flowers That Celebrate Buying A House
- 11 Flowers That Celebrate a Promotion
- 12 Flowers That For Friends, Children, and Relatives
- 13 Flowers That Symbolize Retirement
- 14 Flowers That Symbolize Sweet Sixteen
- 15 Flowers That Symbolize General Congratulations
- 16 Flowers That Symbolize Opening Night
- 17 Flowers That Say Thank You
- 18 Tips and Tricks
- 19 Comments
Why You Need to Know the Meaning of Flowers
When you give the gift of a blossom to another person, it is not us a flower, but symbolic offering that sends a message to the recipient. Some of the occasions that warrant the sending of flowers include:
- An anniversary
- A baby shower
- A birth announcement or baby arrival
- A birthday
- An engagement or wedding announcement
- A funeral
- Get well soon wishes
- A graduation
- A job promotion
- Congratulations in general
- An expression of attraction, romantic interest or love
- To congratulate a young girl coming of age
It is important to know the meanings of flowers, especially if the person you are sending the flowers to be traditional individuals or gardeners who may be familiar with their public meanings. For instance, it may not be appropriate to send yellow roses to your wife as that can mean, "I know about your infidelity." A flower that you thought might mean, "I love you", might mean something else to your recipient.
Flowers That Celebrate a Graduation
Flowers that signify congratulations for a graduation often symbolize money and good luck and are meant to wish the graduate well in his or her career.
- 1This compact bloom, which is often sold in pots that can sit on a windowsill, are sold in many colors that can suit either men or women. Orange or begonias are suitable to give to either gender and layer on the additional meanings of joy, good health, and abundance to the celebratory message. Peach or coral begonias are suitable to give to those going in medical fields as those colors of begonia specifically indicate health and medicine.Begonias symbolize wisdom and intellect and are a pretty, hardy choice to give to any graduate.Advertisement
- 2A bouquet of green chrysanthemums is very fragrant and a unisex floral gift that is suitable to give to either male or female graduates.Green chrysanthemums send the new graduate a message of hope and prosperity.Advertisement
- 3Marigolds can also easily be transplanted to a flower box or garden outside.A pot of fragrant bright yellow marigolds offer a message of prosperity to the new graduates who are seeking stability n life.
Flowers That Celebrate An Anniversary
Flowers gifts that are intended to honor an anniversary tend to be quite traditional and combative in nature although there are many varietals of traditional blooms on the market that come in many different exciting colors.
- 1The bronze color of the chrysanthemum blossom also symbolizes longevity, riches and well wishes.Send a pot of bronze chrysanthemums to congratulate the couple that has had a life well lived together.Advertisement
- 2Lilacs symbolize love at first sight and life-long partnerships.Send a bouquet of lavender lilacs, symbolizing soul mates, to congratulate the couple that is still together after many years.
- 3A very simple offering would be a white rose stem entwined around a red one.Send the loyal couple a bouquet of red and white roses, which symbolizes eternal love and unity.
- 4These beautiful blue flowers symbolize true love and great memories. This is an especially good choice of bloom to send to a partner who has been with you for many years.Send your wife a bouquet of Forget-Me-Nots.
Flowers That Celebrate a Birth Announcement or Birth
Flowers that celebrate a birth best symbolize the future especially if they are sent in a pot that can grow along with the young child.
- 1This contemporary spiky flower symbolizes anticipation, adventure, and masculinity. It is also known as the cornflower. As it is very blue, it can also be suitable to send to a couple that has had a baby with bright blue eyes.A bouquet or pot full of brilliant blue bachelor buttons are suitable for a couple that knows for sure that they are expecting a boy.
- 2This bright white flower with five petals and red pistils is also a gender-neutral gift, suitable for parents who have yet to discover the sex of their child.A pot or bouquet of lush, pointy Casablanca blossoms are perfect for celebrating a new life because they look like large trophies and they symbolize new life.
Flowers That Celebrate an Engagement or Wedding
Flowers that celebrate the union of two people in love are best sent in pairs. A single flower can symbolize loneliness. Potted plants, plants for the garden and whole trees are also good choices to send to a happy couple.
- 1The apple blossom symbolizes love, fertility, good health and the promise of a wonderful abundant future. Decorate the apple blossom with pink or green ribbons to symbolize prosperity and unity.Sending a couple an apple blossom branch or apple blossom tree wishes them well for the future.
- 2These tiny white buds can be sent as a wreath for hanging or for guests to wear in their hair or clothing or as bouquets to be set on tables.Baby's breath is a flower that is often included in larger bouquets that symbolize festivity, good intentions and the innocent beauty of the bride.
- 3This is an affordable gift as English green ivy is not that expensive. Climbing vines are also versatile because they are almost impossible to kill and can be kept indoors or outdoors.The gift of a pot of ivy symbolizes that fidelity for the new couple.
- 4The plant is a spike from which offshoots green bell-shaped blossoms that also symbolizes the ringing bells of celebration.The gift of several stalks green and white Bells of Ireland symbolize good luck and prosperity to the new couple.
- 5Be sure to choose cattails that are a bit immature when you buy them as they may tuft and loose their seeds too soon if they are in full flower.The gift of Cattails to a new couple symbolizes the fulfillment of dreams, peace, and prosperity.
- 6You can offer the couple a bouquet or wreath of this dark green plant or you can buy them a bush for garden or balcony to wish them good luck.The white flowers of the Myrtle shrub symbolize eternity and a happy marriage.
Flowers That Speak of Courtship and Romance
Flowers that speak of romance can send many different kinds of messages, from "I want to know you better"; to "I know you deceived me" to "I am sad that you have forsaken me.
- 1A bouquet of dozen roses is what you send to a woman who you want to marry or as an expression of interest to someone, you would really like to be in a relationship with.A bouquet of bright red roses symbolizes passion and sexual desire, but with a commitment from the suitor.
- 2Red tulips are best to send to a lover or spouse who has been with you a very long as they symbolize loyalty. They can be the perfect flower to send to your love on Valentine's Day.A bouquet of red tulips makes a statement about commitment, devotion, and love.
- 3Yellow roses mean infidelity and deceit and it subtly lets him or her know that you have discovered the secret.Send a bouquet of yellow roses to a lover that you know has been unfaithful to you.
- 4Yellow tulips convey a worship of the feminine principle in nature and an adoration of your partner.Sending a bouquet of yellow tulips to a lover sends the message that you are hopelessly in love with the person.
- 5Also known as the Wind Flower, this smaller bloom with five petals and a center black button comes in red, white or purple and is a humble reminder that you are still thinking about her. The flower also symbolizes fragility and a broken heart.If you feel you have been abandoned or rejected by a lover, send her a small pot or Anemones.
- 6This flower can also symbolize the rejection of a proposal of marriage.Sending a male or female lover striped red and white carnations symbolize a refusal of a date or some other type of romantic proposal.
- 7You can also leave a single yellow chrysanthemum on her doorstep, ring the bell and run away.Sending a woman a bouquet of yellow chrysanthemums tells her she has secret admirers.
Flowers For A Funeral or Celebration of Life
Blooms that are sent in remembrance of a life can be bouquets, potted or in the form of grief. Entire plants can also be planted at a grave spot or in a special spot.
- 1White carnations also have the connotation of spiritual purity and heroism. It is a favorite condolence flower used to honor a deceased member of paramilitary or military.White carnations indicate a special remembrance for someone who is died.
- 2This flower is also appropriate one to send to grieving family members of military personnel.A bouquet of poppies or a single poppy symbolizes consolation and honor.
- 3The geranium also symbolizes unconditional love and the rootedness of family connections.A potted white geranium sends a message of comfort to the bereaved.
- 4They also symbolize beauty, spirituality and eternal life after death.A bouquet of white calla lilies indicates respect for the deceased.
Flowers For Health That Say Get Well Soon
Flowers that urge others back to health tend to be showy, cheerful and brilliant in color. They often smell nice as well, to give a hospital room a less medicinal and institutional odor.
- 1Both yellow and orange carnations send a message of encouragement and happiness to someone who is sick or recovering from surgery. Carnations also have a fragrance that helps combat the institutional smell of the hospital.Send yellow or orange carnations to cheer up someone who is ailing in the hospital.
- 2This airy pink plant with ruffled petals is said to summon tranquility in anxious situations.Send a bouquet or pot of Lisianthus blossoms to help someone who is anxious about medical problems.
- 3This plant, which has white, leaves and spiky white flowers, is not found so much in bouquets and best brought as a gift for the garden.Bring an ailing person a Yarrow bush to symbolize spontaneous healing, personal protection, and prayer.
Flowers That Celebrate Mother's Day
Flowers that celebrate Mother's Day tend to be traditional and colors that symbolize nurturing such as red, coral, pink, orange and green. It is also nice to give a mother a flower that she can grow in a pot or transplant outside to her garden.
- 1These flowers are very showing and grow on a tall spike. They come in many different colors, with yellow, rose and pink being most suitable for Mother's Day.Sending a mother, Gladiolus shows that you appreciate her strength of character and unconditional love.
- 2They are also a good gift to give to a mom who likes to garden as they are easily transplanted from the pot to the soil.A pot of tiny purple Crocus in a pot is the ultimate gift for Mother's Day because they symbolize female intuition and wisdom.
- 3Orchids in any color also make a great indoor gardening project and growing them is a hobby for many women, who treat them almost like pets.The gift of a tall orchid, in any color, honors the nurturing qualities of the feminine.
- 4Buying her a plant with a bulb that can be transplanted to a garden, as a keepsake is a good idea.The gift of a daffodil plant symbolizes your highest regard and only the best wishes for your mother.
Flowers That Celebrate Buying A House
Many of the flowers that symbolize buying a new home, also symbolize prosperity and abundance for the new homeowners. The gift of a whole shrub or plant is also welcomed because it can be planted in the new homeowner's back yard.
- 1These lush bright pink flowers with a thick vinyl stem are relatives of the rhododendron and also symbolize tenacity and many descendants.Gift the new homeowner with a pink or red azalea bush, which symbolizes abundance.
- 2This is an especially good fragrant bush to give to a couple who have bought a house with the idea of raising a brood of children.Gift the new homeowner with an orange blossom bush, which symbolizes happiness, fertility, and abundance.
- 3Wisteria is easily planted in the back garden and adds a lot of fragrance and grace to the air.The gift of a climbing Wisteria plant sends the message that you hope that this is a place where the person can establish roots.
Flowers That Celebrate a Promotion
These flowers tend to be tall and look like trophies from the wild, although simple flowers can get the message across as well.
- 1Also known as the Peruvian Lily or Inca lily this tall bloom has an orange, red or yellow center and a great deal of stature. The purple lily signifies the dignity and regality of an executive leader. This is also a good plant to send in a pot to symbolize the growth and success of the person's career.Send a purple alstroemeria lily.
- 2These tiny pink or white blooms are on top of spiky dark green stems and satisfy the contemporary taste for flowers that look a bit like a wildflower. They are a minimalist bloom that looks good in an office environment.Send a pot of pink or white static flowers, which symbolize achievement and success.
- 3This spotted gigantic pink bloom is great for the ambitious careerist who wishes to place the flower in her office and make a statement about personal confidence.Send a pink Tiger Lily to send a message that indicates how proud you are of the person.
Flowers That For Friends, Children, and Relatives
Love is not always romantic. Sometimes flowers can be sent to relatives or friends to say, "I love you always and unconditionally."
- 1Potted smaller white chrysanthemums are perfect to give to children, who can keep them on a windowsill and maintain them as a living keepsake.A bouquet of white Chrysanthemums conveys innocence, truth and unconditional love.
- 2This is a particularly good gift for a child to bring to a grandmother or grandmother or for grandparents to give to a child. It is such a big blossom that it symbolizes the largesse of unconditional love.The gift of a single Sunflower or a bouquet of sunflowers symbolizes joy, playfulness and the love of family.
- 3Yellow or purple zinnias are best to give to say thank you for a dinner party. Pink zinnias can be used to thank friends for a baby shower gift. These are happy looking flowers that look like giant flowers.The gift of a bouquet of Zinnias expresses admiration and appreciation of friends.
- 4If harsh words have been exchanged, twelve white tulips along with a note of apology may help smooth things over.A gift of white tulips can be sent to friends or relatives as an apology.
- 5The gift of a Sweet Pea plant sends the message of "Thank you for a good time." These are especially great to give friends who have let you stay at their home while on holiday because it also means "Thank you so much and goodbye."
Flowers That Symbolize Retirement
Flowers that symbolize retirement tend to be neutral in color and more traditional so that they can be sent to both male and female recipients.
- 1These tiny daisy like blooms set on top of tall spiky stalks look like confetti and come in many colors including white, pink, hot pink, lavender, red, purple and white. The more feminine colors suit female retirees. The red, white and purple Zinnia blooms suit male recipients.The gift of a pot full of multi-colored Asters celebrate a job well done.
- 2This pleasant, fragrant and neutral wildflower arrangement is also suitable for masculine recipients.A bouquet of Heather and Lavender mixes together symbolizes peace, prosperity and good health.
- 3The magnolia tree has symbolized rulers, nobility, and beauty for centuries.The gift of Magnolia branches or a Magnolia tree signifies that you see the person as one who has made rare achievements in life.
Flowers That Symbolize Sweet Sixteen
The young lady who is turning sixteen appreciates simple blooms that offer a message of good will and encouragement and that also offer a message that offers an appreciation of her blossoming beauty.
- 1These are tall bright yellow flowers that look like giant daisies and have a big brown button-like center. This gift symbolizes encouragement and is good for girls who are less focused on young men and very focused on being intellectuals.Give her a bouquet of Black-Eyed Susans.
- 2Miniature pink roses in a pot are even more appropriate that the big ones in this case as they also symbolize innocence and sweetness.A bouquet of pink roses symbolizes an appreciation of her youth and beauty.
Flowers That Symbolize General Congratulations
There are several types of blooms that say "Congratulations", no matter what the occasion.
- 1A bouquet of red carnations is a traditional symbol of respect and acclaim, especially in the event of an award or special honor. Red carnations are quite suitable to send to a masculine recipient as well.Send a bouquet of red carnations to the person to be congratulated.
- 2This color of tulips symbolizes achievement due to hard work and determination and they also indicate royalty. They send the message that the person is the very best in their field.Send a bouquet of purple tulips.
Flowers That Symbolize Opening Night
Blossoms that celebrate opening night are usually sent to the whole cast of a production, the main actress in a film or play or to players in a concert. These are flowers that symbolize creativity, drama, and boldness.
- 1This tall potted flower is a terrific choice to send to the casting dressing room. It is tall and sprouts several large showy velvety red blooms that and it may also produce side bulbs that can produce side blossoms at the bottom of the pot. Amaryllis symbolizes drama, and because it is a bulb plant, it can last many days in a dressing room.Send a bright crimson red amaryllis.
- 2These tiny pink-coiled buds symbolize female success, coquettishness, and pleasure.Send your favorite actress a tuberose.
Flowers That Say Thank You
Flowers that say thank you tend to be the big blooms that come in more delicate, pastel couples to symbolize tenderness and a humble attitude.
- 1These large perfumed blooms, which are usually pink, light violet or white symbolize graciousness, gratitude, and beauty. They are very appropriate to give to as a thank you to a woman, for a favor done or as thank you for an invitation to a dinner party.Say thank you by sending the person a bouquet of Camellias.
- 2The pink symbolizes your gratitude towards a hostess or bestower of a gift.Say thank you for being so gracious with a bouquet of pink Carnations.
- 3This is a good gift to give someone who has rescued you from a financial emergency or made a business deal with you.A pot filled with red chrysanthemums sends the message that you are glad for a financial gift or something that was shared between the two of you.Advertisement
Tips and Tricks
- Putting together, a bouquet of flowers is the equivalent of writing a poem; only consider that you are doing this in the language of flowers
- When giving a celebratory flower for a birth or a promotion it is a good idea to give the person a bloom that can be planted in the ground and last a long time
- Before sending flowers to anyone, make sure they are not allergic to them
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Relationships
Recent edits by: Donna