Know the Benefits of Oranges to Get Rid of Diseases
Edited by Ermin, Eng, Lynn, Nuance and 2 others
Oranges are citrus fruits of the plant species called Citrus Sinensis, which belongs to the family Rutaceae. They are so sweet! These citrus plants are regarded as flowering plants. Oranges are believed to have originated in Southeast Asia, particularly in China. In fact, navel oranges were first cultivated in China way back in 2500 BC. To add more information, Spaniards introduced sweet oranges to America in the mid 1500s. Oranges are naturally grown in subtropical and tropical countries. In the US states of California and Florida, oranges are cultivated and produced abundantly. Brazil is renowned for its oranges as well. Today, these sweet fruits are the most cultivated among all tropical fruits worldwide.
- 1 Types of Oranges:
- 2 Oranges: Their Active Properties, Minerals, and Vitamins
- 3 Health Benefits of Oranges
- 4 How to Use the Orange Peels to Treat Acne
- 5 How to Use the Rinds or Orange Peels
- 6 Tips, Reminders & Warnings
- 7 References:
- 8 Questions and Answers
- 9 Comments
Types of Oranges:
Like other citrus fruits, oranges are available in many varieties. In this section, you can learn the major types of oranges that are widely used today. In California and Arizona, Navel and Valencia oranges are used to make most fresh juices. Other commercial companies also use Cara Cara oranges and Moro (blood) oranges. Some people opt to eat oranges and sip the juice, while some use the fruits to blend them and make a puree. Here are the types of oranges that you may want to know about:
- 1This type of orange is native to India. Commercial varieties of these oranges actual originated in Asia. Unlike some oranges, Cleopatra mandarin oranges are easy to peel. These oranges are small and have many seeds, which may not be good for blending.The Cleopatra Mandarin Orange.Advertisement
- 2In seasonal specialties in California and Florida, some companies sell Moro or blood oranges in grocery stores and supermarkets. Moro oranges are only available from January to April. Some of them are small, but others are medium-sized. The amazing part is inside, where the fruit is juicy and is a beautiful mixture of colours - mostly bright red and deep orange. These fruits get their unique color because of their high pigment concentrations called anthocyanins, powerful antioxidants that can block free radicals. Free radicals contribute a lot to the increased risk of aging, cancer, and some health diseases. So you may want to eat blood oranges to avoid certain health issues.Moro (Blood) Oranges.Advertisement
- 3These sweet oranges are grown in Florida. They are sometimes round or oval in shape but medium-sized, and the color varies - from dark yellow to orange. These fruits are seedless and are great for making a puree or juice. They are easy to peel because of the smooth, thin skin texture.Hamlin Oranges.
- 4These oranges were originally grown in China and have been introduced to different parts of the world with different names. These sweet citrus fruits are also called summer oranges. The fruits are available from February to October in California and Arizona. They are medium-sized fruits and have thin skin and only few seeds. Peak supplies of Valencia oranges are in May to July in California and Arizona.Valencia Oranges.
- 5These fresh oranges are regarded as the best sweet fruits for eating right out of your hand because of their thick rinds or peels, segments that are easy to separate, meaty flesh, and seedless characteristics. They are available from November to May. Peak supplies are available in January to March. Navel oranges are very sweet during their peaking months - February, March, and April. They are also easy to peel, like the Cleopatra mandarin oranges. Take note that navel oranges are not only produced in California, but they are also produced in Florida.California Navel Oranges.
There are different types of oranges and each group has its peak season. Some oranges may be grown in winter, and some are grown in spring and summer. You should know the types of oranges you may buy, so that you will be able to differentiate the tastes among the varieties of oranges sold at supermarkets or grocery stores.
Oranges: Their Active Properties, Minerals, and Vitamins
Oranges are renowned for their rich sources of vitamin C, helpful for boosting the immune system. Just one orange contains 82.7 mg of vitamin C. Women are required to consume at least 75 milligrams of vitamin C daily. An orange a day can meet the recommended amount of vitamin C women should have daily. Parents always ask their children to drink beverages that contain vitamin C, so their bodies can fight against unwanted free radicals, toxins, bacteria, and germs from other sources. Adults can also consume beverages and fruits containing vitamin C, as well. However, there are more vitamins and minerals that can be found in oranges. Read below to learn more:
- 1A medium-sized orange contains 0.6 mg of niacin. Women are required to consume 14 mg of niacin a day, and the 0.6 mg in an orange is already 4 percent of the 14 mg of niacin that women need to take daily. Niacin helps to regulate blood circulation and beautifying the skin, making it smooth and flawless. This vitamin also helps in stabilizing the nervous system function, as well as metabolizing fats and proteins. The author of Prescription for Nutritional Healing, Phyllis Balch, claims that niacin can reduce high levels of cholesterol when consumed regularly and properly.Niacin.Advertisement
- 2This vitamin is needed for optimal brain function. It can also induce the development of red blood cells as well as white blood cells. Folate can prevent anemia. Folate can also help to eliminate microorganisms that can cause disease and infection. It can also help reduce the symptoms of anxiety and depression. What's more, this vitamin can help pregnant women avoid possible birth defects.Folate.
- 3Oranges contain beta-carotenes. This is obvious because of their orange color. Blood oranges have another active property which is called anthocyanins - barriers of free radicals. This can be found in the inner fruits of blood or Moro oranges. All oranges contain beta-carotenes, including blood oranges. One medium-sized orange has 122 micrograms of beta-carotene, which is about 4 percent of the recommended beta-carotene daily intake. This vitamin can help treat acne and promotes the production of vitamin A - an important vitamin that is needed for prevention eyesight issues.Beta-carotene.
- 4An orange also contains 33 mg of calcium. As we all know, calcium strengthens the bones, making them stronger and less brittle. Those who are lactose-intolerant can eat oranges. They cannot take calcium from dairy products, but they can get calcium from eating oranges. Calcium is not only for promoting bone growth, but it can also help the teeth become healthy and strong.Calcium.
- 5This is an active compound that is found in all citrus fruits. D-limonene is mainly extracted from the citrus fruits' rinds or peels. This component plays a vital role in preventing many forms of cancer. The oil you get from pressing the orange rinds is what we call D-limonene. So, whenever you eat oranges, never throw away the rinds. You can use them for making a candied orange peel.D-limonene.
Health Benefits of Oranges
In this part, you will know the benefits of oranges to get rid of diseases. Oranges are easy to find at supermarkets and grocery stores. You may want to have them in your kitchen and eat one or two oranges daily to get the right amount of nutrients and minerals you need. Below are some health benefits of oranges:
- 1Hypertension is caused by a high blood cholesterol levels. Oranges have vitamins that can help reduce cholesterol levels.Reduce blood cholesterol levels.Advertisement
- 2Inflammatory diseases like asthma, bronchitis, rheumatoid arthritis, dermatitis, allergies, etc., are caused by inflammation. Oranges also have anti-inflammatory properties treat can help in treating inflammation and reducing the risk of inflammatory diseases.Treat inflammation.
- 3Oranges contain sources of folate, which can help induce sperm production, making it become even healthier. Men who have low sperm quality may want to eat an orange every day. Folate can also protect the sperm from genetic damage.Sperm production.
- 4Oranges contain high sources of vitamin C, which can boost the immune system.Boost immune system.
- 5Oranges are rich sources of antioxidants that can help protect the skin from free radicals, which can lead to skin rashes, acne, and aging.Beautify the skin.
- 6All ages should eat oranges because these fruits contain calcium that plays an important role in improving bone health and stronger teeth.Promote healthier bone growth and teeth.
- 7Oranges are fibrous fruits, meaning they contain rich sources of fiber that can help regulate bowel movements. It can also relieve constipation. If you want to regulate your bowel movements and prevent constipation in the future, you should eat oranges daily.Treat constipation.
- 8D-limonene in orange rinds is beneficial for preventing cancer formation. Cancers like mouth cancer, breast cancer, skin cancer, and lung cancer can be prevented and the risk of forming reduced by consuming the oil extracted from the fruits' rinds. When pressing an orange, you will also extract the orange oil from the rinds. Apart from the cancer prevention brought by the orange rinds, there are also some health benefits that one can get from the essential oils. Here are the following benefits below:Prevent cancer formations.
- Skin. The essential oil extracted from the orange peels can be used for beautifying the skin, particularly cracked, dry skin and acne-prone skin. The oil helps slow down the process of aging, which most women are conscious of. You just have to squeeze the orange peels so as to secrete the oil. This oil can be applied to your face, and you can rub it slowly on your entire face.
- Nausea prevention. Did you know that the oil from the orange peels can be inhaled to treat nausea? You just have to smell the orange peels and your nausea feeling will disappear gradually. If you are prone to motion sickness, better bring some oranges with you in your travel. This will come in very handy for a lot of pregnant women.
- Prevent salmonella. Salmonella is a group of germs and bacteria mainly found in the foods people eat. Street foods and drinks can contain salmonella. Children are mostly affected by salmonellosis. Some studies claim that the essential oils from orange peels can strain the salmonella bacteria in the body. At the same time, the oil can prevent them from multiplying and affecting other areas within the body.
- 9High sources of vitamin C in oranges are good for protecting the heart against diseases.Protect against heart diseases.
- 10It is thought that drinking orange juice regularly can help prevent kidney diseases, as well.Prevent kidney diseases.
- 11Healthy eyesight is important for humans. Oranges have rich sources of vitamin A, which help contribute to the improvement of eyesight.Protect the eyes from degeneration.
How to Use the Orange Peels to Treat Acne
This technique may work for some who are not allergic to the active ingredients found in oranges. If you are allergic to the aforementioned active proponents in oranges, you should not use these peels to treat your acne, because there is a good chance that it will get worse rather than better You may want to try it on a small area of your skin first before applying it to your whole face. Wait for half an hour, and see if there's any reaction. If it's even slightly red, or itchy, or you're developing a rash, don't use it on your face.
- 1What you need:
- Peel the oranges, and of course do not forget to eat the fruits as they contain vitamin C that is good for your immune system.
- Allow the orange peels to sit out under the sun to dry. If it's winder, and you have radiators, this is a great place to dry out orange peels quickly, without the risk of mould, and the entire house will smell delicious.
- When they are completely dry, grind the orange peels to make a powder.
- Mix the orange powder with water to make a paste.
- Wash and clean your hands first, before applying the paste to your face. Use warm water when washing your face. Warm water can open the pores in your skin.
- Apply the paste to the affected area only, and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Wash your face with clean and cool water after 15 minutes. Repeat this procedure every 15 days. Your skin will then become smoother and acne-free skin.
How to Use the Rinds or Orange Peels
The rinds are also called orange peels. You can use them for making a candied orange peel. Most people will just throw the peels away. Please don't! There are vital oils you can get from eating the rinds called D-limonene. Here are the steps to make a candied orange peel:
- Peels or rinds from 5 fresh orange fruits
- 6 oz. of milk chocolate for dipping (optional)
- 4 cups of granulated sugar
- 2.5 cups of water
- A saucepan
- A mesh sieve
- A tray
- An oven
- Remove the inside surface residues of the peels.
- Cut the peels into long, thin pieces about 1/4 inch wide.
- Place them into a medium saucepan and add cold water.
- Cover the saucepan.
- Bring them to a boil to blanch the rinds or peels. Boiling helps reduce the bitterness of the pith, the white substance inside the peels.
- Strain the peels through a mesh sieve and rinse them with cold water. Set aside to chill.
- Add the sugar and water into the same saucepan and bring them to a boil at about 210 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the peels into the saucepan again, after the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Bring them to a boil at the same temperature one more time.
- Simmer the peels on medium-low heat until they become translucent. If the pith on the orange peel is thicker, you have to simmer them a lot longer, so that the bitterness subsides.
- Remove the peels from the saucepan, after they become translucent.
- Roll the peels into some sugar (optional).
- Place them on a tray and wait for few minutes to cool them off. Or you can place them in your oven. The temperature should be at 250 degrees F to dry the peels fast.
- Melt the milk chocolate, if needed. This is for dipping the peels to add more flavor.
- Dip the orange peels. Let them dry.
- Serve and enjoy your new candied orange peels!
Tips, Reminders & Warnings
- The orange peels or rinds and the fruits are used for different purposes.
- The peels or rinds are used for treating common colds and flu, gastrointestinal gas or flatulence, and dyspepsia.
- The rinds can help to increase the appetite and reduce phlegm.
- Sweet oranges are safe to use or consume for most adults. However, it is not safe in children if consumed in large amounts, as it can cause convulsions, colic, or even sudden death.
- For breastfeeding and pregnant women, oranges are safe to consume in usual amounts.
Questions and Answers
What are moro blood oranges health benefits?
These are very rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C helps prevent many diseases and makes your immune system stronger. Also, it helps in the proper repair of your cells as well as in the formation of new healthy cells. It is for this reason that oranges are usually taken for better looking skin.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: vc, Nuance, Lynn