Know if the Devil is Real and How We Can Protect Ourselves
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Nate Pepperell and 6 others
There are different views on who or what the devil is. Some people believe that the Devil is simply the evil within humans. Others believe that the Devil lives underground torturing people forever in a never ending fire. So what is the truth? There cannot be two sets of truth. Either the one is true, and the other is false. What proof do we have the Devil is real? Does he exist? Let's verify this proof
Proof From the Bible
- 1God Himself.Certainly he should know whether there is a Devil. Everything that God has written in the bible has come true. God cannot lie. (Titus 1:1-2)Advertisement
- 2The Bible.This is God's chief source of evidence. There, the Devil is repeatedly called "Satan" or the Devil.Advertisement
- 3Eyewitness Testimony.There was proof Satan existed. Who was the eyewitness? Jesus Christ was tempted by the Devil when he was in the wilderness. (Luke 4:1-13.) Was Jesus tempted by the evil within himself? No, for the bible tells us Jesus is perfect, there is no sin in him. (Hebrews 7:26)
- 4Conversations Between God and Satan.(Job 1:6-12) This conversation would not be just by God. And certainly, God would not have evil within himself either.
- 5God Created Many Spirit Persons Like Himself.These spirits are called angels. They are also called "sons of God". (Job 38:7) (Psalms 104:4). God created them all perfect with free will.
- 6The Spirit Son of God made Himself a" Devil".Devil means "Slanderer" and Satan means "Opposer". The Devil therefore, became a "Wicked Spirit". He chose to turn against God's worship, and wanted this worship for himself. (Matthew 4:10).
Therefore, in the bible book of Genesis, it tells of the first man Adam and his wife Eve who were tempted into doing wrong by Satan, or the Devil, who disguised himself as a serpent, to lead Adam and Eve away from listening to God. (Genesis 3:1-5). The Devil claimed humans could decide for themselves what is good and what is bad. The lie the Devil told Eve worked just as he had planned. She believed it, and disobeyed God, and also got her husband Adam to disobey.(Genesis 3:6). The Devil also claimed that he could turn away all those that would be the offspring of Adam and Eve.
The bible tells us that Satan the Devil is misleading us too. In Revelation chapter 12 verse 9 it says the Devil and his wicked angels were thrown out of heaven. Since then, we have been experiencing many troubles here on the earth. Since Satan knows shortly God will take action and rid the earth of him, he is trying harder than ever before to keep persons from serving God just like he did Adam and Eve. The bible describes him as a roaring lion looking for someone to prey upon. (1 Peter 5:8-9).
If we do not want to be caught or deceived by the Devil, we need to learn how he influences and tricks people into doing wrong. (2 Corinthians 2:11). What are some ways we can protect ourselves from the Devil?
Ways to Protect Ourselves
- 1Be Diligent in Taking in Accurate Knowledge of the Bible.Read it Daily.Advertisement
- 2Apply What you Learn.
- 3Pray to God to Be Delivered From the Devil.(Matthew 6:13)
- 4Oppose the Devil.If you do this, he will leave from you. (James 4:7)
- 5Find a workplace or a career where you are content, fulfilled, and satisfied with your tasks and you can see the goodness of the Lord.Psalm 84:10 I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
- 6Learn to analyze your thoughts and discern if they are from the Lord or the devil.If it is from the Lord, embrace and heed it wholeheartedly but if it is from the devil, reject it immediately. Pray that what is in your mind and your heart is the will of the Lord. 1 John 4:1
- 7You can thwart the devil through united prayer.There is strength in numbers. Matthew 18:20 From where two or three are assembled in my name, I am there among them. The Lord is delighted when his people group together to worship him in words and in song. There is an invisible armor of the Lord enveloping them when the devil tries to enter and influence the worshippers' minds. The devil will be crushed and God will be victorious.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
How can we protect ourselves from the devil?
1 John 4:4 says "Greater is He who is in me than He who is in this world." Once we claim this verse in our life we are assured that evil has no way to harm us. However, there are instances when the faith and spiritual life fail humans therefore he/she needs a defense for evil attacks. Here are some ways to protect us from devil:
- Arm yourself with the verses from the Bible that will help you in times of devil attacks. "I have given you authority over all the power of the enemy." (Luke 10:19)
- Acknowledge the devil exist but it doesn't have the ability to harm you if you acknowledge that God is in you.
- Always acknowledge the fellowship of other believers or spiritual partners who will be there if you feel that you are tempted by Devil.
- If you feel depressed or down in spirit, always try to seek help or company from other people who will be there for you. Sometimes devil attacks on wandering minds. Jesus had his evil temptations when He was alone.
- Try to be grateful and happy in every day of your life. This will focus your mind on positive, spiritually uplifting mood so you will not think of loneliness which leads to depression.
- Always remember that the Holy Spirit is always there to protect you.
- Resist all kinds of evil temptation by making sure that what you are doing is always acceptable in God's eyes.
- Avoid reading materials that are deceitful. These materials maybe used as footholds of evil so will experience doubt and eventually you may abandon your faith in the Almighty. Avoid books and magazines that are against God's words like occult, witchcraft, spirit of the glass,etc.
- Live with integrity and honesty in all your dealings.
- Love other people as you love yourself.
- Acknowledge God's presence in all your dealings.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Religion
Recent edits by: Rebecca M., Eng, Florence I. Edim