Know if an Antique Is Authentic
Edited by Maria Sharon Ubando, Lynn, Eng, Rebecca M. and 3 others
Antiques add a little element of mystique to an interior. The problem is, how do you know if the pieces you have are authentic antiques? You might be bragging about your latest antique find or posting an ad for an authentic chinaware for sale only to find out it's not a true antique.
Replicas are everywhere, even in antique shops and today it can be difficult to determine a reproduction from an authentic antique. It takes an expert eye to spot a fake. Find out if the one you have is a real antique with these easy-to-follow guidelines.
Steps how to spot antique China
China is one of the favorites among antique collectors. If you are a rising collector, then here are some easy tips you may apply on your next hunt.
- 1The primary thing that you have to check when determining the authenticity of a chinaware is its maker's marking. Keep an eye on the markings' color and how it has been stamped. Is the mark found over or under the glazing? In real chinaware, you should find the marks under the glaze, as the marks were stamped before the chinaware was fired. Should you find the marking on top of the ware's glaze, then this should be sending you signals that you are looking at a replica. Around the dawn of the 19th century, chinaware makers only made use of two colors for marking - blue and/or red - for they are the strongest in withstanding the heat when fired.Look for the markings.Advertisement
- 2After the year 1891, putting the country of origin on China has become a requirement by the congress. Examine your piece and see if you can find the country of the maker. If you find one, it is most likely that your piece was manufactured after this year and is definitely real. There are some pieces, though, created before 1891, which bear the country of origin, so do not be misled.Originating country.Advertisement
- 3The glazing quality of a piece can be an indicator of authenticity. If the glazing seem to contain some flaws like irregularities or cracks, you probably have a good piece on your hands. If a China is claimed to be authentic but is perfectly glazed or seems to have been machine-glazed, consider it as a red flag.Glazing quality.
How to spot a real depression glass bowl
Depression glasses were first produced in the 1920's, during the great depression era, and are also some of the most collected items nowadays. Got a piece and not sure if it is the real thing? Check out the easy tips on how to determine its authenticity.
- 3If you still are not sure whether your piece is fake or not, there is a website you can go to: depression glass secrets.Look for reputable sources.
Buy your antiques only from reputable sellers. Never fail to ask the history of an item you are eyeing. A reputable seller can answer every question you have.
What are the top 10 most expensive antiques in the world
- 2Who do you think won this very expensive antique? There is no other than the world's richest guy, bill gates. The work includes theories and some other documents and sketches with scientific value by the great da vinci. With da vinci's signature all over the documents, it is believed to be authentic with a whooping value of $30,802,500.Leonardo da vinci's codex leicester sold at $30.8 million.
thanks to historians,archaeologists, researchers and paleontologists for we get to know some information regarding some stuff from hundreds to thousands of years ago. The discovery of golden cups or toys from 1,000 years ago is definitely amazing. Let's have a brief look at some of the world's oldest known to men with most dating back thousands of years, a century or so.
Some of the world's oldest
- 1Written in the etruscan language, (does not exist anymore), the book is known to be 2,500 years old. It was found in an old tomb which was discovered in the valley of bulgarian struma river. The book was authenticated by experts and is now housed at Bulgaria national museum. It consists of six pages from 24-k gold.World's oldest book.
- 2Sold in the year 2011, the oldest car which is 127 years old is still working. The buyer's name was not declared but the sale made $4.6 million. The car was built for the French Count De Dion who is also one among the founders of the La Marquise maker.World's oldest working car (De Dion-Bouton et Trepardoux).
- 6In 2012, the world's oldest musical instrument was unearthed in Hohle Fels Cave, Germany. The two flutes which are made from mammoth ivory and and bid bone is believed to be 42,000-43,000 years old. The age of the flutes was determined with the use of carbon dating technology.World's oldest musical instrument.
- 7On the same place where the oldest leather shoe was found, the world's oldest skirt was also discovered. The 5,900-year old skirt is made of reed and resembles a modern day skirt.World's oldest skirt.
- 9(maybe it is better said chewed gum). An archaeology student in Finland found what is believed to the oldest chewing gum in the world. The 5,000-year old gum was made from birch bark tar and there were evident tooth marks on it. The tar used contained phenols which has antiseptic properties. It is also hypothesized that people from the Neolithic era used it to treat infections of the gums.World's oldest chewing gum.
- 10Measuring 8.75 x 13.25 inches, the world's oldest surviving note which is from China dates back to as early as 1335-1340 AD. China is believed to be the very first world civilization that produced paper money. It was then the world's largest paper bill as well until the 100,000 Philippine Peso was printed.World oldest surviving paper bill.
- 13Made from plain wood, the oldest doll in the world dates between the third and seventh BC. It was found buried with a mummified Egyptian princess. The British Museum is the home of this Egyptian doll.World's oldest doll.Advertisement
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Know if an Antique Is Authentic. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Apr 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Know_if_an_Antique_Is_Authentic
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Know if an Antique Is Authentic." VisiHow, visihow.com/Know_if_an_Antique_Is_Authentic Accessed 27 Apr 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Know if an Antique Is Authentic." Accessed Apr 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Know_if_an_Antique_Is_Authentic.
Categories : Arts & Crafts
Recent edits by: Robbi, Batkingnz, Rebecca M.