Know if God Has a Name
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Jonathan, Maria and 3 others
Does God have a name? Many people have wondered about that for many years. Think of prominent people who have titles such as Judges, Lawyers, and Doctors. They all have a name do they not? So likewise, God is a title, but he has a name, that he lets us know through his Holy word, the Bible.
- In Psalms chapter 83 verse 18, it tells us this: "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth". (King James Version)
- Also, his name is spoken of in Exodus 6:3. Some people may not see the name of Jehovah in these scriptures in their bible, but will see Jehovah's name replaced with "LORD". Why is that?
- God's name, Jehovah, was in the original Hebrew manuscripts 7,000 times! But because of a Jewish superstition that regarded the divine name was too sacred to be uttered, they removed Jehovah's name from the bible.
- Is this the way God wants it to be according to what we just read in Psalms 83:18? It says, "that men may know".
- Also, when Jesus walked the earth, he said this in John 17 verse 6, "I have made your name manifest to the men that you gave me out of the world."
- Verse 26 says, "I have made your name known to them, and will make it known." *When Jesus quoted the Hebrew Scriptures, we can be sure that he never failed to hide, or speak his Father Jehovah's name.
- Jehovah's name is translated from the Hebrew Tetragrammaton, YHWH, (Yahweh" in Hebrew, which means "He causes to Become."
The Names Ascribed To God
- 1YHWH.More popularly known as Yahweh, mentioned 6,800 times in the Bible. It is four Hebrew consonants, which are known in Scripture as, God's Holy Covenant. It is the most frequently used title for God in the Bible. The four characters: yad, hay, vav, and hay are also called Tetragrammaton or tetragram meaning the four-letter word. It is also stated above in the introduction.Advertisement
- 2El and Elohim.Elohim is mentioned 2,600 times, and El 238 times. Elohim is the plural form of the word God in Hebrew and Canaanite languages. El is the singular.Advertisement
- 3Adonai.Mentioned 439 times. In Hebrew, Adon means Lord. Adonai is translated either as Lord or as My Lord. The -ai suffix indicates a plural of majesty.
- 4El haddai.Means God Almighty or God the All-Sufficient One.
- 5El Elyon.Means God Most High.
- 6El Roi.Means God Who Sees.
- 7Yahweh.In Scriptures, it is the consonants YHWH. Scholars translate this to mean, "I am who I am". Also as I will be who I will be. Another translation is "the Self-Existent One." Yahweh as a name for God is found in both Semitic and Gentile texts, though it is not found in ancient Scriptures.
- 8Yahweh-jireh.Means "Yahweh will provide" or "I AM will provide".
- 9Yahweh-rapha.Means "Yahweh who heals."
- 10Yahweh-nissi.Means Yahweh My Banner. Used when God has delivered a military victory.
- 11Yahweh-mekoddishkem.Means "Yahweh who sanctifies You".
- 12Yahweh-shalom.Means "Yahweh is Peace".
- 13Yahweh-sabaoth.Means "Yahweh of Hosts". Hosts are the army of angels who serve under God.
- 14Yahweh-raah.Means "Yahweh My Shepherd".
- 15Yahweh-tsidkenu.Means "Yahweh Our Saving Justice".
- 16Abba.It is an Aramaic word loosely translates to "Father or Daddy". It signifies the intimate and close relationship that God has for his child, and also the childlike trust that the child has placed in his Daddy. The privilege of calling God, Abba Father and also being referred to as a child of God, is only given to those who have accepted the Lord as their personal Saviour (John 1:12-13).Advertisement
Please check the following video: God Names
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Know if God Has a Name. (2017). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 24, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Know_if_God_Has_a_Name
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Know if God Has a Name." VisiHow, visihow.com/Know_if_God_Has_a_Name Accessed 24 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Know if God Has a Name." Accessed Mar 24, 2017. http://visihow.com/Know_if_God_Has_a_Name.
Categories : Christianity
Recent edits by: Rob, Eng, Maria