Know and Understand What Entertainment to Choose
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, Maria and 1 other
Each day we are faced with decisions about what entertainment we will choose. There are a variety of choices, and for years the bible has given us principles that we can make a choice wisely. They are really needed to follow in these troubled times we are now experiencing. The choice of entertainment today that is popular among many people is violence and sex. Even sports can be violent. In boxing matches, knockout punches have caused brain damage. Still, people want to get fighters into the ring. Filmmakers go to any length to get people into the movie theaters. One man said that you need excitement in a movie with blood, sex, and obscene language. There is a rise in sexual themes and explicitness, and it is not diminishing. Sex sells. The innocent games of Donkey Kong and Pacman have changed to grotesque, violent, sadistic games.
A professor by the name of Marsha Kinder said that the video games are worse than television or a movie. What about music? Much of it is about drugs, violence,or sex. Some music is full of anger, cursing, and hopelessness. A young teenager ended up killing himself, and it turns out he was deeply involved in listening to suicidal music. A 15 year old boy ended up killing a woman. A lawyer said that he was influenced by watching slasher type movies. Research studies have proved that adults and children's personalities are affected by watching and playing games that feature violence. What about the books that we read? Do they feature violence, or sex? Do they have information about the supernatural in them? (Deuteronomy 18:10-11).
This proves that the entertainment we choose can have an effect on us. The bible states at Proverbs chapter 13 verse 20, that the person who is associating with people who do foolish things, can themselves do bad things. Don't you find if you hang out with people who do things against the bible, you soon will be doing those things too? If we regularly keep in touch with people on the television that do bad things, can't we be influenced also? Doesn't our Creator of the universe know that this will happen to us? After all, he created us. As Christians, if we are to follow the teachings of Christ, do we follow his example? What are some bible principles that can help us to see how God views matters?
- 1Hate What Is Bad.Psalms 97:10.Advertisement
- 2God Hates Violence.Psalms 11:5 Colossians 3:5Advertisement
- 3God Wants Us to Show Love and Be Kind.Colossians 3:12
- 4God Disapproves of Bad Talk.Ephesians 4: 29, 31.
- 5God wants us to enjoy Sex when we are married.And remain loyal to our mate. 1 Corinthians 6:9-10.
- 6Watch and Think About Good Up building Things.Philippians 4:8.
- 7He Can Help Us to Change.Isaiah 41:10, John 14:26.Advertisement
OTHER FORMS OF RECREATION
- Walks, barbeques, and picnics.
- Tennis, Volleyball, playing soccer, and bicycle riding, and swimming.
- Reading a good book, do crafts, play a musical instrument.
- Go Bowling.
- Visit a Museum or a Park.
Tips For Choosing the Right Entertainment
- Read the labeling, and view the pictures on the DVD cover. Does this look like something that would be decent to watch?
- Research movie reviews and ratings on the internet.
- Educate your children and teach them bible principles so they can distinguish right from wrong.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.