Know and Understand If Jesus Is God
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Innocent Yogo, Nate Pepperell and 1 other
For centuries many people have believed the doctrine that is called the Trinity, which teaches that the God and the Son, and the Holy Spirit are all One. None is greater, none is less. Many people who are taught this teaching accept it, but find it confusing. Is this a Christian teaching based on the bible? The Encyclopedia Americana commented that this doctrine is thought to be beyond the grasp of human reason. Cardinal John O'Connor admitted that it is a mystery which he didn't understand. Catholic scholar Carl Rahner said in the Theological dictionary, that the trinity is a mystery.
Jesus Christ taught true Christianity to his disciples and others, however, he also warned that it would be corrupted with the false teachings of men. He said to look out for philosophies and empty deception, traditions of men, and not according to Christ. (Colossians 2:8). Pagan beliefs began to creep into Christianity.
In the ancient world, as far back as Babylon, they worshiped pagan gods in groups of three. That influence was common in Egypt and Greece and Rome, before, during, and after Christ. Historian Will Durant made the comment that Christianity did not do away with paganism, but adopted it.
If the Trinity were true, shouldn't it be clearly stated in the bible? Why? Because the apostles upheld the truth that the bible is God's revelation to himself to humankind. And since we need to know God to worship him in the right way, don't you think the bible should be clear in telling just who he is?
Does it really matter what we believe, as long as we all believe in God? What does God tell us of how he feels about it? In 1 Corinthians chapter 1 verse 10, we are told that we all need to speak in agreement, and be united in the same mind and thoughts. Philippians 1:9 tells us we need to have accurate knowledge, and it is important that we use discernment. When the Christians in bible times taught the people Christian based teachings, the people called the Beroeans, examined the scriptures on a daily basis, to check and see if what was being said,was so. (Acts 17:11).
So what proof do we have in the bible that Jesus is not God?
Scriptures To Examine
- 1(Colossians 1:15) Proverbs 8:22. He was directly created by God as a spirit son.Jesus Was God's first creation.Advertisement
- 2Jesus helped in creating all things. Proverbs 8:30 speaks of Jesus being beside his father as a master worker. If Jesus and God were the same, how could he be beside his father?He Was Beside His Father In Heaven.Advertisement
- 3In John 7:16, Jesus said what he was teaching was not his, but belonged to the one that sent him.What Jesus Taught Was From His Father.
- 4Jesus stated that "The Father Is Superior to the Son. John 14:28.Jesus and God Are Not Equal.
- 5At Matthew 24 verse 36 it says when the end is near, not the angels or the Son, but only the Father would know.Only The Father Knows When The End Of Wickedness Will Come.
- 6(1 Corinthians 11:3)Jesus Christ Is Under The Authority Of His Father.
- 7In John 17:3 It says that the only true God sent his Son ahead to the earth.God Directed His Son To The Earth.
- 8The Apostle Peter said Jesus was God's Son.( Matthew 16:16).
- 9Matthew 3:17 When Jesus came up out of the water after being baptized, a voice from the heavens said, this is my son, the beloved, I have approved him.
Scriptures Commonly Misunderstood
- 1In that Jesus was so much like his Father in his words, teachings, and actions. Did you ever hear someone say, Boy, he or she, has got their Father in them? When we say that, we are saying that that child thinks, acts, and does the same things as their Father. But ARE they there FATHER? No. Jesus said in verse 9, that he did not speak of his own originality, but he spoke what he was taught by his Father.John 14:8, 10 What did Jesus mean when he said that the Father was in him?Advertisement
- 2This is CLEARLY understood if you make sure to read all the other scriptures that are cited above in your bibles.John 10:30 When Jesus said "I and the Father are One, This meant that they were in UNION with each other as far as their thoughts, and teachings.
- 3How do we explain this? Meticulous translators have found it necessary to recognize that there is a difference between the two uses of the word "God" in this text. The New English Bible says, What God was, the Word was. Today's English Version says that he was the same as God. An American Translation says that the Word was divine. Why do these translations say that the Word was God? Because in Greek, in which this was originally written, the second use of the word "God" is not the same as the first. The definite article "ho" (the) appears before the first use of the word God, but not before the second. The Anchor Bible tells us to preserve in English the different nuance of theos [god] with and without the article, some (Moffatt) would translate 'The Word was divine'. We can better understand John's words here if we examine precisely what he said. Note again, that he wrote that "In the beginning was the Word". This would not have been speaking about our Creator's start, for he had no beginning. (Psalms 90:1-2) It was the beginning of things John was here debating, including the creation of all other things by "the Word". Then John said that the Word was with God. A person who is with someone clearly is not the same as the one he is beside.John 1:1,2 This scripture says that the Word was God.Advertisement
The important point is what John meant when he wrote the passage. Does that present a problem? It does if you want to say Jesus is GOD, for it is quite obvious from John's writings that he did not understand Jesus to be "God" in the sense the Father is God. For instance, in the same chapter, John wrote that no man hath seen our Creator at anytime. (John 1:18) Has anyone seen him? No. Has anyone seen Jesus? Yes of course! The testimony of Jesus Christ respecting himself while on earth reveals that he was not just a wise man, nor was he God in the flesh, but he was the perfect human Son of God. The record concerning his words and deeds served to establish this truth. We all want to know the truth about our Heavenly Father, and his Son, Jesus Christ. The bible gives us this truth, and is beneficial for teaching, and setting things straight, so we may have an accurate knowledge of God's will.( 2 Timothy 3;16) Jesus warned us about man made doctrines and teachings that would creep in that were false. If we do a careful research, and meditate, study, and pray to God to understand his word the right way, he tells us we will be happy and know the truth about his word and life! (Psalms 1:1-3) (John 8:32)
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Christianity
Recent edits by: Nate Pepperell, Innocent Yogo, Charmed