Know What Scoliosis is, and How to Treat It
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Eng, estrella sacragon and 2 others
Scoliosis is derived from the Greek word "crooked". It is when the backbone or spinal area is curved instead of straight up and down. It can be curved like the letter "C" or "S". It has been known to be more common in women, than in men. For some people, they can live with scoliosis in mild cases.
The most popular type of scoliosis is called idiopathic. This means "unknown cause". The symptoms of scoliosis are low back pain, tiredness, and the person may seem like they are leaning to the side. Also, one hip may be higher than the other. There are mild deformities of scoliosis, and some that are more severe. The person can experience chest pain, and the lungs can even not work properly. The cause of scoliosis is unknown, but research studies have said that birth defects are a factor such as muscular dystrophy, and cerebral palsy. In some cases, bad posture is considered to cause it too. If you feel you might have scoliosis, it would be wise to visit an Orthopedic Specialist, who specializes in the skeletal system. He can take an X-Ray of the spinal area and confirm a diagnosis. So what are the treatment options for scoliosis?
- 1If the patient's scoliosis is excessive, the doctor may suggest this to prevent further curvature of the spinal area while the bones are still growing. Some braces are just worn at night, and some are worn day and night.Brace.Advertisement
- 2Ask your doctor about exercises that can strengthen and correct the backbone.Exercise.Advertisement
- 3For severe cases, this can reduce the deformed curve of the spine. During surgery, the bones of the spine are fused together so they will no longer curve. Metal rods and screws are used to straighten the spine into position. The surgery can take several hours to perform. You will be able to get up and walk the next day, and your hospital stay should be about a week.Surgery.
What could cause Scoliosis?
As mentioned above, the cause of scoliosis in most patients is unknown. However, there are cases in which the cause is known.
Classification of Scoliosis
Medical experts classify the curves in scoliosis in the following categories:
- 1Structural curves could be due to infection, injury, birth defect or disease.Structural - This classification refers to the fixed curvature of the spine.Advertisement
- 2For such a condition, the physician will try to find a treatment regimen that can correct the problem.Non-structural - This classification refers to a spine that is normal structurally, and the curvature if temporary only.
How to Diagnose Scoliosis
In order to ascertain the proper regimen for Scoliosis, doctors need to scrutinize the family, as well as medical history of the patient. They also need to check the tests and physical examination the patient has undergone. X-ray can aid doctors in deciding whether the patient indeed has Scoliosis or none at all. The x-ray results can be used by the doctor in measuring the curvature in degrees, like 25 degrees, as well as check the pattern, shape and location.
Treatment Depends on Several Factors
The treatment regimen for this condition depends on:
- 1Age of the patient
- 2How much more the patient will grow
- 3The kind of scoliosis that the patient has
- 4The curvature's pattern and degree
- 5If he regularly slouches, he is not helping in minimizing the ill effects of scoliosis. It is best if his back is always rigidly straight so that the spine will get used to that angle.The regular posture of the patient.Advertisement
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- Visit a chiropractor or a physical therapist. They can help correct spinal curves.
- If you are having trouble breathing and severe pain, go get help right away.
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Know What Scoliosis is, and How to Treat It. (2015). In VisiHow. Retrieved May 25, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Know_What_Scoliosis_is,_and_How_to_Treat_It
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Know What Scoliosis is, and How to Treat It." VisiHow, visihow.com/Know_What_Scoliosis_is,_and_How_to_Treat_It Accessed 25 May 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Know What Scoliosis is, and How to Treat It." Accessed May 25, 2017. http://visihow.com/Know_What_Scoliosis_is,_and_How_to_Treat_It.
Categories : Bones & Muscles
Recent edits by: Jonathan, estrella sacragon, Eng