Keep a Gaming Laptop Healthy
Edited by Batkingnz, Eng, Lynn, Anonymous and 4 others
With the high powered gaming laptops of today, it's finally possible to take your serious PC gaming on the road without lugging your desktop PC and monitor around. But there are always certain compromises to be had when putting a lot of power into a relatively small package and in the case of a gaming Laptop, that compromise is heat. This How To will outline the main causes of Laptop failure and decreased performance, as well as giving you some handy hints on preventing these and getting your Laptop running as smoothly as possible.
- 1 Heat Damaged Components
- 2 Impact and Pressure Damage
- 3 Using Software to Monitor the Temperatures Inside Your Laptop
- 4 Keep a Gaming Laptop Healthy: Importance of Gaming Laptop Maintenance
- 5 Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- 6 Questions and Answers
- 7 Comments
Heat Damaged Components
You have probably noticed that in the middle of a game, your Laptop can get warm and the sound from the fan inside suddenly becomes more obvious, this is the Laptop trying to cool itself as intensive processes start to generate a lot of heat. Heat damage can be caused by inadequate airflow, poor maintenance or excessive use at high temperatures. (The risk of this increases as the Laptop gets older.) Below are a few simple steps that will help you prevent heat damage.
- 1Although it's called a Laptop, never actually use the Laptop on your lap, a pillow, the bed sheets or any other surface that is not solid and flat.Doing this can block vents for fans and passive airflow which can lead to overheating. The ability for the Laptop to dissipate heat naturally is also greatly reduced when it is not placed on a flat surface.Advertisement
- 2Avoid running the Laptop in high temperature environments.For some, this might mean using it in a cooler part of your home or office. If you are in a tropical or a very hot and dry climate, then invest in a cooling pad for your Laptop. This will not only elevate it from any surface it is on, which increases natural airflow, but it will also provide additional direct airflow to the vents below the Laptop. When choosing a cooling pad, check the bottom of your Laptop for vents and choose a pad that has fans lining up to these vents or choose one that has manually adjustable air flow.Advertisement
- 3Check for dust blocking any vents on the Laptop.A quick visual examination will reveal any dust blocking the vents around the Laptop. It's a good idea to keep a can of compressed air on hand in case you need to clean the vents. Compressed air can be purchased from most computer stores or your local hardware store.
- 4If you are noticing excessive heat (try using the software in the section below) while gaming, especially if you notice it only in certain games, try turning the graphics settings down.Running games on high graphics settings with mid-range hardware can cause excess stress on the Laptop components.
Impact and Pressure Damage
Impact or Pressure Damage. A Laptop, being portable, faces higher risk of receiving shocks and bumps. In addition to this, your hands are usually resting on the chassis and keyboard which can cause internal damage from excess pressure.
- 1Handle With Care.This one goes without saying, but it's something that should be stressed. Your gaming Laptop contains both moving and non-moving parts that can be damaged or dislodged even with the slightest impact. Take care when moving or transporting your Laptop and use a Laptop bag or sleeve when possible. If the Laptop is running and you need to move it, shut it down or suspend it first, as some components are especially sensitive when in use. The hard disk surface for example can be permanently damaged if it takes impact while spinning.Advertisement
- 2If you're at a desk or table, consider using an external keyboard and mouse.Gaming on a Laptop can be an intense experience and can be cause for some less than delicate use of the keyboard and touch-pad. If you use an external mouse and keyboard, you will reduce any shocks and bumps that the Laptop would receive (which can cause internal or chassis damage). Alternatively if the game supports a game-pad then consider using one instead.
Using Software to Monitor the Temperatures Inside Your Laptop
Many Laptop components have sensors built into them that constantly monitor temperatures. This enables the computer to automatically shut down to prevent damage when temperatures are too high. Although tolerances for components like the CPU and certain chips on the motherboard can go as high as 100 degrees Celsius, it is best to keep things running between 30 and 70 degrees. CPUID Hardware Monitor is a lightweight software application that can help you keep track of your current temperatures as well as keeping track of the lowest and highest temperature while you leave the application running.
- 1Download CPUID Hardware Monitor here.Advertisement
- 2Understanding the Readings.In this example we are using an HP Laptop with a dual core processor. Every Laptop will have different components, and the ones you are looking for are in the first two expandable menus (marked in red). The first expanded menu will show chipset and ambient temperature on the motherboard and inside the chassis, while the second menu will show all CPU cores. See the below image and the accompanying table for ideal temperature ranges.
|Hewlett-Packard 30BE (Will Be Your Motherboard)||30° - 70° Celsius|
|Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T7500 (Will Be Your CPU)||50° - 70° Celsius|
- When temperatures are exceeding the ideal range, follow the instructions in the beginning of this article to reduce excess temperatures.
Keep a Gaming Laptop Healthy: Importance of Gaming Laptop Maintenance
It seems there are a lot of people who prefer to utilize laptops rather than desktop personal computers. As a matter of fact, many have even totally replaced their PCs with laptops. While for some people, a Laptop is a very handy device, which they can use for work, socializing and communication, for others, Laptop is their main gaming gadget.
Since more and more people are using laptops for their gaming ventures, it is indeed crucial for certified gamers to know the proper maintenance techniques in order to keep the healthiness of their gaming laptops.
A majority of hardware support engineers suggest that proper maintenance of gaming laptops is the key to ensure that it will be in good condition. Even though they are aware that the maintenance steps of laptops are very easy to follow, it seems some people are too lazy to do so.
Below are some gaming Laptop maintenance techniques, which are shared by Laptop manufacturers. These techniques can aid in leveraging the Laptop's life. Even though the Laptop is designed for heavy gaming, the fact still prevails that it is a delicate gadget, and it requires gentle care.
- 1Gamers should not run a lot of processes on their laptops, especially those that are useless.Gamers should check the processes which are running, and then they should seek assistance by searching Google in case they are not familiar with a certain process. If the user figures out that there is an unwanted process that is running on the Laptop, he/she should stop it immediately, and then configure so that it will not automatically start once the Laptop has be restarted.
- 2Yes, it is a gaming Laptop; however, it doesn't mean that you should install a bunch of programs on it.Generally, the processors of laptops are a bit more fragile than the processors of desktop computers. Therefore, the more the installations there are, the more the Laptop will be loaded, which could result in the operating system being corrupted. Also, it's crucial for gamers to check the installed programs periodically, as well as eradicate the unwanted programs.
- 3The display or screens of laptops, even gaming laptops, have fragile coatings.Therefore, if the you use an inappropriate chemical or liquid, the display could be damaged permanently. Thus, users of gaming laptops should ascertain the most recommended solutions for cleaning the screen of the Laptop.
- 4Don't get near the gaming Laptop when drinking or eating.This is to avoid spillage on the Laptop.
- 5It is not a sound idea to keep the Laptop connected to its charger.The battery of the Laptop should only be charged when it is running out of battery power or if the power has been exhausted. All kinds of laptops have battery monitors, which intend to update the user about the battery's condition, as well as the balance time before the power is fully exhausted. This practice will not just maintain the health of the Laptop, but also its battery.
- 6Also avoid installing a bunch of anti-virus applications on the gaming Laptop.Advertisement
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- If in monitoring, temperatures drop below the minimum ideal value, don't worry - the colder the microchip, the more efficiently it can run.
- When blowing compressed air in the Laptop, always make sure the unit is powered off.
- Background programs can cause a decrease in performance. Make sure you close any unnecessary software you have running before gaming.
Questions and Answers
My laptop can not support a game fully?
It can play all the matches in PES13 but can play UEFA and if you try to change a player it minimizes giving an error message that Windows will look into the problem and tell you later which never does.. I have tried: I have tried looking for a software that might help boost the game that is a game booster.. I think it was caused by: It is due to low dedicated memory, but my RAM is 4GB
You have to patch the game to the 1.04 version. You can search the Internet for PES13 patch 1.04 or download one off http://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=43612.
Need to learn how to maintain a gaming Laptop?
This is my first and brand new gaming laptop and I want to keep it maintained from the very beginning
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
A quick question on disabling my hardrive , I mean shutting it off?
A quick question on disabling my hardrive , I mean shutting it off
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: VisiHow, Chizochase, estrella sacragon