Keep Your Online Social Network Safe
Edited by Melvin Magadia, Anonymous, Lynn, Eng
Your online social network can be targeted by fraudulent individuals and scams. Such content can put into jeopardy the credibility and integrity of your business. From mass generated e-mails to spam, the biggest victim here would be your customers. However, you can do something to protect your business, as well as your customers. Here are some tips on how to ensure the safety of your online network:
- 2Scammers can always find a way to create multiple accounts on social networks.According to Kevin Cardwell, the best way to combat these fraudulent practices is to strengthen your level of verification. One way of doing this is by having users create a profile in order to log in. You can also have users identify an image correctly to be able to log-in.Advertisement
- 4Another common way of getting additional verification is the CAPTCHA.This will require a user to type the numbers or letters shown on the screen to successfully log-in. If you have an IT team, you can have them create a program to ensure this additional verification.
- 6The purpose of a firewall is to keep hackers from damaging your site.Yes, there is no surefire way of eliminating problems, but a firewall will make things harder and lessen the risks as well. A firewall works like a burglar alarm that keeps thieves from breaking into a house. There are free firewalls, as well as costly ones, but most come with technical support and upgrades.
- 7Identify Unsafe Devices
- 9Every digital device has its own unique IP address.Fraudulent users will usually create posts or profiles from that address. Scammers will usually rely on quantity: They send out hundreds of emails or create enough dummy profiles on the notion that someone will respond. David Evans suggests identifying the channels users are logging into.
- 11A hacker or spammer will usually comment on online conversations by posting links that will direct them to another site.As an entrepreneur, you should be vigilant with such kinds of links. According to Jules Polonetsky of the Future of Privacy Forum, the link will usually direct the user to a site where a product is being sold or an infected site that will compromise the computer of the user or steal personal information.
- 12Give Power To Customers
- 14As an entrepreneur, it is not always possible to monitor site activities all the time.It is always the customer who can detect fraudulent practices on a daily basis. So the best way to keep your site safe is to give the customer the power to report fraud or flag inappropriate behavior. Social networking sites such as Facebook and YouTube are already doing this by putting on click-able icons for reporting fraudulent content. According to Polonetsky, this will give your users a method for policing their own ranks.
- 15The Internet has expanded so much that it is no longer used for finding information.Today, it also has become a haven for social networking sites. This can give scammers and criminals an opportunity to victimize just about anyone. By implementing security measures, you will ensure the safety of both your site and users.Advertisement
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Social Network
Recent edits by: Lynn, Anonymous, Melvin Magadia