Keep On Asking, and It Will Be Given You
Edited by Debbie, Charmed, Nate Pepperell, Reema and 7 others
What role does prayer play in your life? We might ask ourselves, how much do we pray? Do we find ourselves too busy to pray? Or do you hurry through your prayers mechanically as a chore, or a duty to carry out? What is the quality of your prayers?
Lord, teach us how to pray".(Luke 11:1) One of Jesus' disciples requested this. Jesus told about two illustrations that teach us how to pray and be heard by God. If you ever wondered if God hears your prayers, you will be interested in what Jesus replied. Read Luke 11:5-15
- 1The first illustration talks about the one who is praying.(Luke 11:5-8) In this story, a guest appears to a man late at night and has no food to put before him. To the host, the matter is pressing. Even though it is late, he goes to a friend's house to borrow some bread. At first, the friend does not want to get up because his family is fast asleep with him. But the host is persistent and determined to keep asking until finally his friend gets up and gives him what he needs. What does this illustration teach us about prayer? Jesus is telling us we need to be persistent. We need to keep asking, and knocking. (Luke 11:-9-10) Why? Is Jesus telling us that when we pray we are pounding at the door of a God who hesitates to help us? No. Jesus' point here is that unlike the friend who was hesitating, God is eager to answer proper requests of people that pray to him in faith. We show are faith by being persistent in praying to God. By doing that, we reveal that we really need what we are asking for, and we do truly believe that he will grant our request if that is his will. (Mark 11:24) (John 5:14).Advertisement
- 2The second illustration focuses on the Hearer of Prayer.(Psalm 65:2) Jesus asks, which father is there among you, who if his son asks for a fish, will hand him a serpent instead of a fish? Or if he asks for an egg, will he hand him a scorpion? The answer is clear, no caring father gives harmful things to his children. Jesus said that if imperfect human fathers can give good gifts, how much more so will the Father in heaven give holy spirit, the best of gifts, to those who ask him! (Luke 11: 11-13) What does this teach us about god, the hearer of prayer? Jesus invites us to see God as a caring father who is eager to respond to the needs of his children. We can feel free to approach him with our requests at any time. Knowing that he wants what's best for all of us, they can accept his answer to their prayer, even if the answer is not what they expected.Advertisement
We have many opportunities that we can pray to God. When we get up early in the morning, before bedtime, and before our meals, we want to thank him for the food he provides. We made face a very bad time in our life and are very stressed, and that is the time to go to God for help and pray for strength at the right time to get through our troubles. We can talk to our Creator at any time, and we never get a busy signal, or have to worry about a hang up! Praying to God is something we really want to take seriously. What some helpful steps we can take to pray to God?
Steps to pray to God.
- 2Pray In Faith.(Mark 11:24)
- 3Be Persistent In Your Prayers.
- 4Never Give Up.(Luke 11:9-13)
- 5Teach Your Children To Pray.(Matthew 6: 9-10)
The Amazing Benefits of Prayer
Even those Christians who don't regularly read the Bible know that prayer is important in life. Below are the reasons it is important for a believer to pray.
- 1First, prayer serves as an efficient means of communication with God.Prayer is like a telephone or cellphone, through which man communicates with God, and God communicates with man. Communication is very important in any kind of relationship, in order to surpass the challenges of time. Through prayer, men relate their thoughts, emotions, feelings, inadequacies, and desires, while God communicates assurance, answers, and His supremacy to mankind.Advertisement
- 2Through prayer, one can experience the love of God for human kind.As often reiterated by religious leaders, "God is love". Thus, through praying, one can comprehend and experience the love of Jesus and the Almighty. Whenever a person prays, he or she is able to access the presence of God, and be embraced by His love. Prayer can assure a person that God is present to give protection. Prayer eradicates insecurity, as well as gives people boldness and strength to face the obstacles in life. One can become confident that he or she will surpass all the dilemmas, knowing that Jesus is guiding him or her, and that Jesus showers him or her with love. David, who was a man of prayer and praise, experienced the presence of God in his life, and he shared about it through Psalm 8:4. David said that God has been so mindful of him. Paul, a follower of Jesus, reiterated the beauty of prayer, through Ephesians 3:14-19. As quoted by Paul, it is important for Ephesians to experience Jesus's love.
- 3Prayer also serves as the means to defeat the forces of darkness.Christians are aware that they can overcome the influences of evil by praying. As emphasized over and over again, the devil was defeated since Jesus Christ died and then was resurrected. People can reinforce it by praying. Whenever people pray, they enforce their authority in Christ to be safeguarded from the attacks of the evil.
- 4Prayer also enables men to attain spiritual growth.A prayer allows men to establish their faith in Jesus and his father, God. This is the primary reason why Jude reiterated the relevance of praying to the Spirit. Prayer can strengthen the believer and enhance one's courage and confidence.
- 5Prayer also enables men to talk to God and tell Him their desires.Prayer is like the key for aspirations.
- 6Prayer can even decrease the ego of a person.Prayer is the right time to leave pride behind, and this is also the time for people to admit their human frailty, and their dependence on God. Through this, people can decrease their ego quickly.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
What if my sins are too many?
Every person in this life are all imperfect. We commit sins on a daily basis and that is inevitable. Regardless of the amount of sins an average human has committed, God is always ready to forgive. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." (1John 1:9). We only need to make sure to confess our sins to God and repent to ask for His forgiveness.
Our sins are paid through the life that Jesus Christ offered to us so we really need to guard our hearts and stay closer to God. Remember it takes a bold step to acknowledge our sins, but takes inner strength to repent and make extra effort to fix the repercussions of the sins that we have committed. With this courageous effort to correct our sins, we will gain the extra bonuses that are joy and peace of mind.
- Come closer to God and ask him for his help.
- He will help you when you feel you can't go on.
- Study and meditate on his word.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Christianity
Recent edits by: Lynn, Richelle, Florence I. Edim