Get rid of mosquitoes by reducing the mosquito population in your area.
Edited by Vick Oluoch, Charmed, Eng, Nerissa Avisado and 2 others
Every summer, millions of people around the world gear themselves up to fight mosquitoes, known as vectors of many kinds of dreadful diseases such as malaria and dengue. Some resort to the use of expensive mosquito repellents and chemical sprays to deter them from attacking. However, these are short-term solutions that you have to repeatedly or routinely do, on a daily basis. There are ways to control mosquitoes and that is by doing environmental interventions that will break their life cycle and prevent them from proliferating.
Breaking the life cycle of pests is a widely-used strategy to control pests. This strategy is also applicable to mosquitoes. For instance, if you want to keep the mosquito population down, you have to get rid of the stagnant pool of water where they breed. This means that if you want to keep mosquitoes at bay, you have to deny the female mosquitoes a place to lay their eggs. You must also clear the bushes around your home where they hide during the day when they are inactive. Take note, however, that some mosquitoes are not necessarily nocturnal such as the female anopheles mosquito that causes malaria which is the number two killer diseases in Africa.
So what are the things that you can do to effectively control the mosquito population in your area? Natural mosquito control is a good start.
Know the adversary
- 1Mosquitoes are relatives of the true flies, diptheria. So they share certain morphological similarities, such as having a single pair of wings and long proboscis they use to suck blood from the host, you. They generally have long and thin legs. Their bodies and wings are mostly shielded by tiny scales. They may reach 3 to 9 mm in length upon maturity.How do they look?Advertisement
- 2The female, adult mosquitoes are best known for their blood-sucking habit. Blood is important for them to be able to form lots and lots of eggs that require much protein. Other mosquitoes can thrive with nectar from the flowers. Mosquito larvae found in water consume organic matter and small aquatic organisms.Their food preferences.Advertisement
- 3The immature stages develop in standing or stagnant pools of water. Mature mosquitoes, however, can fly and navigate at will. They are mostly nocturnal or active from dusk to dawn. With overcast though, they can be active. Sunlight can kill them through drying out.Their breeding ground and habits.
- 4Male mosquitoes have feathery antennae that functions in locating female mosquitoes. Once mating has been completed, the female mosquitoes seek out blood meal to sustain egg production. Egg numbers are highly variable depending on the species, but it can be as plentiful as over 100 eggs per laying. When these hatch, worm-like larvae, called wigglers, emerge from the eggs. These wigglers can only survive in an aquatic environment. They feed and feed until they molt to become pupae or tumblers. These pupae move towards the water surface to harden their exoskeleton and get ready for flight all in two days.Their mode of proliferation.
How to eradicate breeding grounds
- 1When eliminating the stagnant water, make sure you remove all the plastic containers lying around. You should also consider keeping the weedy areas under control since mosquitoes can also lay eggs in the foliage that traps water.Eliminate or treat any stagnant water in your home, no matter how little it is.Advertisement
- 2You can also consider using the wet-weather stream bed or the french drains.If the water in your home is not draining well, try channeling the water away by using a pipe.
- 3This will deny the mosquito larva a chance of growing into an adult mosquito.Change the water in your bird baths frequently.
- 4Bacillus thuringiensis is a harmless bacteria to man, pets and wildlife. The mosquito larva cannot survive in the presence of this bacteria.Add bacillus thuringiensis (bt) in areas of your home that have permanent water features.
- 5Clear all bushes and tall grass in your yard.
Tips tricks & warnings
Big community projects. these are things you can do with your neighbors with the help from civic organizations, concerned associations, and your local government. These efforts are certainly challenging and complicated, but they can help address mosquito problems on a long-term basis. There are things you can do. Search the internet for line agencies and private organizations that can help you do this with your neighbors.
- 1This does not require the use of chemicals and relies solely on ecological balance.Find out about "open marsh water management." This is a kind of project that governments do to eliminate breeding grounds of mosquitoes when large, open marsh is the breeding ground of the mosquitoes.Advertisement
- 2These are known to function as homes to certain endangered species of birds and wildlife. Preserving these natural systems not only controls floods, but they are also natural magnets for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes then move away from human settlements to move to these natural ecosystems, where there are other natural enemies to control their population.Research about "wetland and watershed restoration." Destruction of these ecosystems tend to destabilize the homeostasis of the environment.Advertisement
Mosquitoes are not only pesky with their buzzing; they are bad vectors of pathogens that make humans ill. There are simple ways you can control their population in your back yard. You must also try to participate and collaborate with community efforts to get rid of mosquitoes on a long-term basis.
Questions and Answers
Bacillus thuringiens is as a bacteria which attach mosquitoes
Hi Friend, so you mentioned bacillus thuringiens is as a bacteria which attach mosquitoes, but would you had set amount of this bacteria to your pool for example? how is this bacteria controlled simply by use of chlorine? When you rupture mother nature I am worried this would effect other parts which I was not aware of.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Health & Wellness
Recent edits by: Lynn, Nerissa Avisado, Eng