Edited by Calob Horton, Eng, Sherri, Botish and 6 others
- 1 Questions and Answers
- 1.1 It's an AT&T Galaxy S4, network unlocked for T-Mobile. I tried to connect the hotspot; it says no data or invalid SIM?
- 1.2 Same issue for unlocked AT&T Samsung G870A (Galaxy S5 Active). (No hotspot functionality)?
- 1.3 AT&T unlocked Galaxy Alpha hotspot not working if using a Tmobile SIM?
- 1.4 I am unable to run hotspot Samsung Galaxy S4?
- 1.5 My unlocked Galaxy S5 does not receive data without WiFi. How can I fix it?
- 1.6 I don't know where to find my WAP name?
- 1.7 In my Samsung Galaxy S4 i337, 4G appears in the status bar but I can not access the internet?
- 1.8 I can't find wireless networks on my S4?
- 1.9 How can I find my network key that my laptop is asking for?
- 1.10 How much does this service/info cost?
- 1.11 Can I root my phone without a computer?
- 1.12 My Galaxy Mega SGH i527 Hotspot problem?
- 1.13 My hotspot doesn't work properly?
- 1.14 How to type the SSID and choose name and my WiFi network?
- 2 Comments
Questions and Answers
It's an AT&T Galaxy S4, network unlocked for T-Mobile. I tried to connect the hotspot; it says no data or invalid SIM?
I have enough data so how can I enable this?
Unfortunately, AT&T software-locks its mobile hotspot functionality so it can only work on the AT&T mobile network. When you bring an AT&T device over to another carrier like T-Mobile, your phone's software will mismatch with your new carrier's settings, disabling the mobile hotspot functionality and giving you the invalid SIM message that you've been getting. The only way around this software limitation that is put into place by AT&T is to root your device and remove the software lock. Follow the guide below to learn how to root your device and disable AT&T's software block so you can use your phone's mobile hotspot functionality on T-Mobile.
- Root your device by following the steps in this great VisiHow article.
- Turn on USB debugging.
- Open your Settings application.
- Tap the More tab.
- Tap About device.
- Tap Build number 10 times.
- Tap the Back button, located in the lower right-hand corner of your phone.
- Tap Developer options.
- Check USB debugging.
- Download App Quarantine from the Google Play Store.
- Tap the wrench icon in the upper right-hand corner of your screen.
- Uncheck Hide system services.
- Tap the Back button, located in the lower right-hand corner of your phone.
- Tap Tethering Provision.
- Tap the lock icon in the upper right-hand corner of the display.
- Tap the Quarantine tab to make sure that TetheringProvision is indeed quarantined.
- After you've made sure that TetheringProvision is quarantined, download ES File Explorer from the Google Play Store and open it.
- Tap your Menu button -- located in the lower left-hand corner of your phone -- scroll down, and tap Net Manager.
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Use the system AP setting.
- Enter an SSID (Service Set Identifier). Choose a name with no spaces, like My_WiFi_Network.
- Enter a password, as well.
- Tap OK.
- Tap your phone's Back button.
- Tap Create a hotspot network.
- If your phone says "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped," don't worry -- this is normal.
- Look in the upper left-hand corner of your screen. You should see a blue WiFi icon. This means that your mobile hotspot is active.
To enable your mobile hotspot in the future, you'll have to open ES File Explorer, tap your Menu button, tap Net Manager, and tap Create a hotspot network. To turn it off, swipe down from the top of your display, tap Tethering or hotspot active, and turn it off.
This is a very long process, but it will allow you to use your AT&T Galaxy S4's mobile hotspot functionality on T-Mobile.
See more questions like this: S4 i337 hotspot not working with invalid SIM error?
Same issue for unlocked AT&T Samsung G870A (Galaxy S5 Active). (No hotspot functionality)?
The user is my wife and she will not be able to tolerate using the ES File explorer method. Do you know any other methods, apps, or simpler work-around? The new carrier is T-Mobile. Rooting the unit is not an issue, if required.
You have a few options to try:
- 1Option 1:Download Power Toggle and see if that will fix the hotspot issue.On some carriers and devices this solves the no SIM message.
- 2Option 2:
- Download Titanium Backup from Google Play store. You will have to go to Settings and Enable Install from unknown sources.
- Search for "tether" in the Titanium Backup app.
- TetheringAutomation and TetheringProvision will appear as options. Back up your device and then uninstall these.
- Download HotSpot Toggle and put the Widget on your Home Screen.
- To activate the hotspot tethering, you will tap the widget three times to turn HotSpot on.
AT&T unlocked Galaxy Alpha hotspot not working if using a Tmobile SIM?
I have a Galaxy alpha from AT&T unlocked to use on Tmobile. When I try to use hotspot it will not turn ON, invalid SIM. Phone and 4G work just fine
Use the ES File Manager option or one of the other methods listed in the top answers. This will allow you to use your Hotspot again. You will need to root your phone to do this process.
I am unable to run hotspot Samsung Galaxy S4?
This phone previously used on AT&T network, the tenure has been over now I am in India, and I want to use this phone in India but hotspot is not working
You may still need to unlock the phone even though the tenure is over. Right now it will not work because you do not have AT&T Passport Plan enabled to use the phone in India. You can try to configure your APN settings to see if you can set it up for a SIM from a cheap India provider of Hotspots after you unlock the phone.
My unlocked Galaxy S5 does not receive data without WiFi. How can I fix it?
I have an unlocked AT&T Galaxy S5 that I am using with my T-Mobile SIM. The 4G lte sometimes appear randomly so it works at random occasions but I was wondering if you knew a way to fix it?
Make sure your APN is set correctly with this list from T-Mobile. if it is correct and still not working then Backup your data and hard reset the device. This may correct your issue. If you have another Tmobile connected device around, see if you can put your SIM in their device or put their SIM in your device to see if it is the SIM card and not the network.
I don't know where to find my WAP name?
Where can I find the name of my device or rather the WAP password
When you press the Hotspot setting under WiFi in Settings it will display the WAP. You would need to Root your phone to get the WAP password. Install Root All Devices from the Google Play Store. Root your phone with the app then go back to the Play Store and install WiFi Password or WiFi Password Recovery which will get the password that is saved.
In my Samsung Galaxy S4 i337, 4G appears in the status bar but I can not access the internet?
How can I solve this, please help me
You did not state what carrier you are using because AT&T and T Mobile can both have APN issues. Follow the steps in the above answers to get your Internet connecting again on the Galaxy S4. You may need to unlock your phone to get the internet working for you. Try the methods and one of them will work as a solution for you.
I can't find wireless networks on my S4?
Can't find wireless network to set up a hotspot
First, make sure that your Airplane Mode is not turned on. Then follow the steps in above answers to troubleshoot why your WiFi is not working. Most likely it is an APN issue to search APN and your carrier to see if they have posted the APN settings online for you to set your phone up.
How can I find my network key that my laptop is asking for?
network security key location on the Galaxy 4?
- 1Open Setting > more settings > tethering on your Galaxy S4 and enable tethering.
- 2While still in tethering, tap tethering to the left of the tethering again.
- 3You will be brought to a new screen, at the bottom of the list you will choose configure.
- 4In Configure you will see a password field.
- 5Enter this password for the Network Security Key.
How much does this service/info cost?
How much service/info does this cost?
VisiHow is a community of contributors sharing all types of knowledge. It is a free information service website. We ask that you pay it forward if you would like by posting an article about something that you know how to do. It is not required, though.
Can I root my phone without a computer?
I was wondering if it is possible to root my phone without a computer?
You can using an app from Google Play like the Root All Android Devices app posted in the above answers. There are several apps in Google Play that you can use to root your phone.
My Galaxy Mega SGH i527 Hotspot problem?
Anytime I tried to turn on my Hotspot, it says invalid SIM and does not connect.
Try one of the methods posted in the above answers. You may want to try the top answer first and then configure your APN.
My hotspot doesn't work properly?
I'm on metropcs but my unlocked AT&T phone's hotspot doesn't work & I'm on 4.4.4 [kitkat] & some friends of mine have AT&T unlocked phones & their hotspot's do work but they're running 5.0, Lollipop.. I have tried: I have tried to contact the FCC, AT&T & MetroPCS but it didn't help.. I think it was caused by: Software blocked...
You did not list your device but see if it is compatible to install Lollipop or the newest version of Marshmallow. Search for your device and "Lollipop" or "Marshmallow" in YouTube and you will see many videos on how to do this. If you want to keep your Kitkat version then follow the steps above such as [apn-settings.com/us/metropcs-apn-settings-step-by-step-configuration these for MetroPCS APN. That may resolve your problem.
How to type the SSID and choose name and my WiFi network?
Galaxy S4 mini SGH 1257 AT&T mobile hotspot does work, how to give the SSID name and password, please explain briefly?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : Software
Recent edits by: Kevin Rally, sissy, ankneh1234.