Edited by Ali Shan, Eng, Srotosree, Abshir and 2 others
Questions and Answers
Natural remedies to help reverse vocal cord damage?
Vocal cord damage can be caused by several factors like vocal abuse, throat infection, gastric acid reflux or nutrition which greatly alters the physiologic function of the vocal cords resulting to the hoarseness of voice. Below are some of the most effective natural remedies in reversing vocal cord damage:
- Honey and Ginger Tea. The honey has soothing and antibacterial properties and the ginger has anti-inflammatory properties which greatly helps in reversing vocal cord damage caused by infection. To use, mix 1 ginger teabag in a cup of hot water (or 1 tablespoon ginger powder) and 1 tablespoon of honey and slowly sip the mixture.
- Total Voice Rest. Another good natural remedy in reversing vocal cord damage caused by vocal abuse is to have a complete voice rest for 3 to 4 days for a few weeks. It means you need to completely avoid talking or even whispering within those 3 to 4 days to facilitate faster healing of your vocal cords.
- Avoid Alcohol and Carbonated Drinks. In regards to vocal cord damage caused by gastric reflux, you can properly reverse the damage on your vocal cords by totally avoiding these drinks allowing your vocal cords to naturally heals.
- Proper Nutrition. Eating a well-balanced diet effectively enhances your body's immune system which effectively enhances wound healing in the body.
- Exercise. Daily exercises like walking, jogging, hiking, or any form of exercises effectively enhance the blood circulation in the body promoting faster wound healing.
- Proper Hydration. Drinking enough fluids about 8 to 10 glasses of water a day effectively hydrates your body and also facilitates faster healing of your damaged vocal cords.
Is it possible to reverse vocal damage?
Yes, it is possible to reverse the vocal damage. There are different vocal therapies that you can try. There is an urgent need to see your doctor when you are having a hard time swallowing, coughing up blood or have severe pain. For damaged vocal cords, there are two main treatments:
- Short-term therapy - this is when you need to rest your voice and avoid using your vocal cords. You may still talk, but do it only when necessary.
- Long-term rest - you will be taught how to make the proper sounds or how to speak correctly without putting too much strain on the vocal cords.
Keep in mind, while it is possible to reverse the damage but consider how bad the vocal damage as there may be a chance that your vocal chords may not repair itself %100 but it will, in fact, repair itself to some extent. Drinking lemon tea or honey tea can help to provide acids to your throat and vocals that can promote yourself to have healthier vocals. Also Vitamins A, C, and E are available to help you to repair your vocal chord damage.
More questions and answers on this topic can be found here: Can you damage your vocal cords permanently
Categories : Voice Lessons & Tips
Recent edits by: Maria, Abshir, Srotosree