Edited by Sean, Eng, Dougie, Doug Collins and 2 others
Over 75 million people use Steam as a distribution platform for gaming and as a place to connect and talk to fellow gamers or friends, but how exactly do you get all of that set up? We're here to show you how to download, install, create an account and setup your profile on Steam. Thousands of games are waiting for you, many of which are often on sale, and all you have to do is follow these steps.
Download and Install Steam
Steam is also available for Mac and Linux, but the default download/installer is for Windows. To get the Linux or Mac version look for the links under the install steam button on the download page. To download the Windows version:
- 1Open up your browser and jump on over to steam's main pageSteam Powered.Advertisement
- 3On that page find the button on the top or bottom of the page (seen in the screenshot above) that says "Install Steam" in green.
- 4If you are on Windows, you will find the "Downloads" folder in Windows explorer under Users/(your username)/Downloads.Now you are downloading Stream into your download folder, which is a folder called "Downloads" by default.
- 1Find the Steam setup file in your "Downloads" folder and click on it.
- 3The installer will take care of the rest in a short period of time.
- 4Time to run it and setup your account.Done!
Creating an Account
- 1Creating an account for steam is pretty much the same as any other account you've ever made. Just head to the main steam web page again and find the "Join Steam" button (middle right side of the page) or just head straight to the create account web page CREATE ACCOUNT.Option 1.
- 2When you run Steam for the first time after installing it, you will be given the option to create an account right then and there. It uses a different format than doing it via the website, but it is still quickly and easily done.Option 2.
Set Up Your Profile
- 1You may setup your profile on Steam by either logging on via your web browser to Steampowered or by launching the client itself and clicking on your profile, as seen below.
- 2Once you scroll over your profile name you will get a bunch of options.
- 3The second option on that scroll down menu is "Profile".
- 4Click on that and you will be taken to your profile, which is currently devoid of life, waiting you to fill in important information.
- 5Click on the "Edit Profile" button at the top right of the page, hard to miss, and you will be given a list of options for editing you profile.
- 6Initially, you won't be able to do much, but you can:
- Add a showcase of your favorite screenshots you've taken using Steam's overlay (F12 by default when you are in game and using Steam).
- Create a list of your hard earned achievements.
- Add a background wallpaper to your profile - if you have any.
- Showcase the badges you've earned from completed Steam trading card collections.
- Display your favorite Steam community group you belong to - or joined.
- Showcase your favorite game and everything related to it.
- Showcase any guides you've made.
- Show off all of the reviews you have written for games on Steam.
- Create a display that advertises items you are looking to trade to other Steam members.
- Many other options!
Your Steam profile gives you many different options when it comes to showing off things you've done, or been involved in or are proud of when it is related to a Steam game or community in some way. You can only put a limited number of these displays on your profile, but you can easily switch them out for new ones whenever you want. Your profile will also linked your Wish-list at the bottom and it has a section for other users to leave you comments.
It is your profile, so makes it yours and make it unique!
Video Tutorials for Installing Steam
Valve, the creators of Steam, were nice enough to create video tutorials to show how to do most of this as well - for two of the versions. Check those out if in case there is any confusion.
- After you've done all of this, you will be ready to tackle anything that Steam has to offer, whether it's the thousands of games you can purchase (some of which are free), the ever bustling marketplace, the sprawling expanse of forums, or the large community hubs full of information, screenshots and discussion. It is all at your fingertips ready to be explored.
- 1As always, feel free to ask any questions about anything in this guide that isn't clear or you would like more information about.Advertisement
- Steampowered.com - Windows Video Tutorial for Steam.
- Steampowered.com- Mac Video Tutorial for Steam.
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Nuance, Doug Collins, Dougie