Edited by Sean, Eng, Dougie, Doug Collins
Over 75 million people use Steam as a distribution platform for gaming and as a place to connect and talk to fellow gamers or friends, but how exactly do you get all of that set up? I'm here to show you how to download, install, create an account and setup your profile on Steam. Thousands of games are waiting for you, many of which are often on sale, and all you have to do is follow these steps.
Download and Install Steam
- 1Open up your browser and jump on over to steam's main pageAdvertisement
- 3On that page find the button on the top or bottom of the page (seen in the screenshot above) that says install steam in green.
- 4Now you are downloading into your download folder, which is a folder called Downloads by default if you are on Windows and found in Windows explorer under Users/(your username)/Downloads.
-Steam is also available for Mac and Linux, but the default download/installer is for Windows. To get the Linux or Mac version look for the links under the install steam button on the download page.
- 1Find the Steam setup file in your Downloads folder and click on it.
- 3Make sure you have the indicated required space free (450 megabytes) and click the install button and the installer will take care of the rest in a short period of time.
- 4Time to run it and setup your account.Done!Advertisement
Creating an account
Option 1: Creating an account for steam is pretty much the same as any other account you've ever made. Just head to the main steam web page again and find the Join Steam button (middle right side of the page) or just head straight to the create account web page.
Option 2: When you run Steam for the first time after installing it then you will be given the option to create an account right then and there. It uses a different format than doing it via the website, but it is still quickly and easily done.
Video tutorials for installing Steam
Valve, the creators of Steam, were nice enough to create video tutorials to show how do most of this as well and for two of the versions. Check those out if in case there is any confusion.
Windows installation video tutorial
Mac installation video tutorial
Set Up Your Profile
You may setup your profile on Steam by either logging on your web browser on Steampowered.com or by launching the client itself and clicking on your profile, as seen below.
Once you scroll over your profile name you will get a bunch of options and the second option on that scroll down menu is Profile. Click on that and you will be taken to your profile, which is currently devoid of life.
Click on the Edit Profile button at the top right of the page, hard to miss, and you will be given a top of options for editing you profile, but at the start you won't be able to do much. However, you can:
- Add a showcase of your favorite screenshots that you've taken using Steam's overlay (F12 by default when you are in game and using Steam)
- Create a list of your hard earned achievements.
- Add a background wallpaper to your profile if you have any.
- Showcase the badges that you've earned from completed Steam trading card collections.
- Display your favorite Steam community group that you've joined.
- Showcase your favorite game and everything related to it.
- Showcase any guide you've made.
- Show off all of the reviews you have written for games on Steam.
- Make a display that advertises items you are looking to trade to other Steam members.
- Many other options!
Your Steam profile gives you many different options when it comes to showing off things you've done, or been involved in or are proud of when it is related to a Steam game or community in some way. You can only put a limited number of these displays on your profile, but you can easily switch them out for new ones whenever you want. Your profile will also linked your Wish-list at the bottom and it has a section for other users to leave you comments.
It is your profile, so makes it yours and make it unique!
After you've done all of this you will be ready to tackle anything that Steam has to offer, whether that is the thousands of games you can purchase (some of which are free), the ever bustling marketplace, the sprawling expanse of forums, or the large community hubs full of information, screenshots and discussion. It is all at your fingertips and ready to be explored.
As always, feel free to ask any questions about anything on this guide that isn't clear or you would like more information about. One final tip, watch out for Steam Sales! They are very enticing and very common. Good luck.
- Steampowered.com - Windows Video Tutorial for Steam 
- Steampowered.com- Mac Video Tutorial for Steam 
- IGN.com - Steam Tops 75 Million Users 
Referencing this Article
If you need to reference this article in your work, you can copy-paste the following depending on your required format:
APA (American Psychological Association)
Install Steam. (2016). In VisiHow. Retrieved Mar 27, 2017, from http://visihow.com/Install_Steam
MLA (Modern Language Association) "Install Steam." VisiHow, visihow.com/Install_Steam Accessed 27 Mar 2017.
Chicago / Turabian VisiHow.com. "Install Steam." Accessed Mar 27, 2017. http://visihow.com/Install_Steam.
Categories : Gaming
Recent edits by: Dougie, Eng, Sean