Install 4.4 Firmware (Kitkat) on Your Verizon Galaxy Note 3
Edited by Daniel, Alma, Eng, Dougie and 3 others
Are you a Verizon Subscriber who has a Samsung Galaxy Note3 (SM-N900V) and did you know that they already released the update for 4.4.2 or Kitkat for your handset? If you are not well aware of it then this is the time to get you informed about your phone and the update that Verizon released last Monday (May 12, 2014). The Samsung Galaxy Note that they have are currently at is in Jelly Bean or the 4.3 version, and has not yet been updated since the release.
The update for this phone has a build number of N900VVRUCNC4 that includes all the features offered for Kitkat firmware. The Update for your Verizon phone of Kitkat includes the features: faster performance, White Status Bar icons, Camera Shortcut, Full screen icon, Better RAM management, Better Battery life performance and a lot more. You can install this firmware in many ways, like by using Samsung Kies to install, using Verizon Upgrade Assistant, OTA (Over The Air) and by the use of a third party software called ODIN. If you are not familiar with the ODIN, ODIN program is commonly used for rooting but can also be used to install official firmwares or ROMs.
This is a very simple article focused on showing you how to update without all of the technical jargon. This is an official update for your phone and "NOT a test build" you may refer to the things that you need to know for you mobile phone and the steps on how to install the update.
- 1 Things To Know And Warning
- 2 Using ODIN Instructions
- 3 Over the Air (OTA Update)
- 4 Using Verizon Upgrade Assistant
- 5 Using Samsung Kies
- 6 Alternate installation
- 7 Questions and Answers
- 8 Comments
Things To Know And Warning
- 1This is an Official firmware for your phone and no need to worry about the warranty as it will not be voidedAdvertisement
- 2All of the mentioned will be wiped out as you are going to install an official firmware for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note3.If you rooted your phone already or if you have custom ROMs or you installed a ClockWorkMod and even the TWRP.Advertisement
- 3Install the USB drivers of your phone as well to your computer to where you are going to install the Kitkat Update. Simply connect the phone to your Windows PC as it will automatically install drivers to your computer.Check the battery life level of the phone and make sure that it still has 80% battery life.
- 4If you do not know how to, you may follow the steps:Make sure that the USB debugging on your Samsung Galaxy Note3 is being enabled.
- Go to "Settings"
- Tap on About device
- Tap on the build Number at least 7 times
- Go back to the previous Menu
- Tap the Developer Option and check the USB debugging then exit to your home screen
- 5If you prefer on doing manual installation using ODIN, then please do it at your own risk
- 6This update is only available for Verizon's Galaxy Note3 and will not be applicable for all other models
- 7It is best that you make a back up of your contacts first on your computer by using the Samsung Kies for you to restore them later to get them back.
Using ODIN Instructions
- 2After you have downloaded the file, go to its folder and tract it to get the file of N900VVRUCNC4_N900VVZWCNC4_N900VVRUCNC4_HOME.tar.md5
- 3Once you have installed the ODIN on your computer, you need to run it as an "Administrator" you just need to right click the launcher and click on "Run as Administrator"Once you are down with the step 1 and step 2, you need to download and install ODIN V3.09 from this LINK then extract the file to get the executable to install it on your computer.
- 4Go to your phone as you need to turn it off then you have boot it into download mode by pressing combination keys on phone, such as:
- Press the Volume Down
- Press the Home Button
- Press the Power Button then you will see there a warning message on your phone screen and you need to press the Volume Up to accept and access the download mode on the phone.
- 50="" 003=""> Added!!Once you have the Download mode on your phone, you need to get your USB cord (I suggest that use the original as the generic USB for Android phones may have different transfer rates) then connect the Galaxy Note3 to your PC and wait until you see a message on your ODIN as <ID:
- 6Then click the "AP/ PDA" button and select the file package that you extracted in step 1, the "N900VVRUCNC4_N900VVZWCNC4_N900VVRUCNC4_HOME.tar.md5". Make sure that you put a check mark on the F. Reset time and so as the Auto Reboot then click the start button to start the process of flashing the phone.On your ODIN's interface, you will see there some buttons that you can click on.
Over the Air (OTA Update)
Over The Air (OTA) update is not as complicated using ODIN 3 nor Samsung Kies or your Verizon Upgrade Assistant. Basically, you just need to connect the phone to your own internet connection or to a place that has free internet for you to update the phone to the latest version. If you do not have your own WiFi connection at home, what you can do is to use your computer (Laptop) to set a WiFi for the phone to connect as the phone will not download if you are currently using mobile data. If you also have an old Android phone, you can insert a SIM card there to use you mobile internet and set a hotspot tethering to connect via WiFi to it and download. Once you phone is connected to the WiFi Internet, follow the steps below:
- 1Go to SettingsAdvertisement
- 2Tap on About device
- 3You will get a prompt here if you have the latest version or you have an available update that you can download and install it on your phone.Tap on Check updates or Install updates.
Using Verizon Upgrade Assistant
- 1You can download it from this LINK pm how you can install the Verizon Upgrade assistant.If you do not have this software installed to your computer.
- 2Now, connect your phone via USB and same thing that the USB debugging must be enabled.
- 3Just go to the Start Button then click on the All programs and look for the Verizon folder and look for the Launch Utility Application and click it to launch.Once you have the Verizon assistant installed on the computer.
- 4Click on the Upgrade assistant and it will automatically search for an update in Verizon's data base and it will show up on screen. Select the available update and click on the upgrade then wait for the process to be done before you can remove the phone. This will take more than 30 minutes till it completes the process.On the left hand side of the screen, you will see three options that you can click on.
Using Samsung Kies
If you do not have Samsung Kies installed on your computer, you can download it from SAMSUNG or if you still have the installation mini disc, you can insert into your computer's DVD drive to run the installation. Here are the steps:
- 1Run the Samsung Kies that you installed in your computer
- 2Once you have the interface up on screen, connect the phone via USB to your computer again.
- 3Your Samsung Kies will start to recognize the phone you have connected to the computer and it's manufacturer model number will be displayed on the left side screen.
- 4Once you see the model number on your Kies, simply click it and it will automatically check for an update to be install.
Congratulations as your phone is now being updated to the latest version of Android and more to come in the future.
Another manual installation for your Verizon Galaxy Note3 is by going into the recovery mode on your mobile phone. Although this has not yet been tested to work for Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note3 but all other devices or model will work on this procedure. If you want to try it, see the steps below and again, do it at your own risk. It is best that you make a back up of your data first to a computer and be able to restore it later once you are done.
- 1Turn off your mobile phone, you can take the battery out or press and hold the power and shut down.
- 2Instead, connect you phone via USB or just connect the SD card to your computer by an SD card reader and move the downloaded Kitkat in zip or compressed format.Once you have the downloaded firmware that was given from the first part of the article, you do not need to extract it.
- 3Volume Up then the Home Button on the phone then the Power button at the same time until you see the model number of the phone.Insert the SD card back to your phone then you need to boot into recovery mode on your phone and pressing and holding the following buttons:
- 4Volume Up and Down to Navigate and Power button to select the option from the menu.On the recovery menu, select on install from the SD card then select the name of the folder you placed in the SD card and wait for the process to complete.
Questions and Answers
I am trying to install Android 4.4.2 Kitkat on my phone?
Is there any help to walk me through the process?
- 2For example, "Galaxy Note3 (SM-N900V)"Type your device model name in the search field on the Web site.
- 3You will see a list of available firmware.Click the zooming-glass icon.
- 4In our example, it is USA (Verizon), Android 4.4.2.Locate the 4.4.2 firmware with your country and carrier.
- 5You may need to register on the Web site to do so.Click and download it.
- 7Start going through the steps of the tutorial starting from step 2 (you have already done the first step here).Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : How To Use Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Recent edits by: Sean, Abiro, Dougie