Insert and Remove the Memory Card of Samsung Galaxy S4
Edited by Leomar Umpad, Anonymous, Kirk, Rich and 15 others
Note: This is part of the series on how to use the Samsung Galaxy S4. More great how-to articles to help you get the most out of your smartphone are available here: USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
The Samsung Galaxy S4 comes with 16GB, 32GB, or 64GB of built-in storage depending on which model you buy. With today's HD video recordings and big games, however, even 64GB of storage might not be enough. Fortunately, you can use memory cards to expand your storage capacity should you need more room for all your photos, videos, and applications. A memory card may boost your phone's storage capacity by up to four times. Below are instructions on how to properly insert and remove your phone's SD card.
- 1 Inserting a memory card into a Samsung Galaxy S4
- 2 Removing a memory card
- 3 Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- 4 Questions and Answers
- 4.1 I am getting the message SD card damaged on my Samsung Galaxy S4?
- 4.2 How do I format a memory card?
- 4.3 Do you know how to set SD card as default storage?
- 4.4 Why is my Galaxy S4 not detecting my 64GB SD card?
- 4.5 Do Class 6 16 GB SD cards work on the Galaxy S4?
- 4.6 Can you insert a memory card in a Samsung Galaxy S4?
- 4.7 How can l fix my Galaxy S4 IMEI corrupt message?
- 4.8 Do I have to power down the phone before I remove the SD card?
- 4.9 I need help using a memory card once it's installed?
- 4.10 My memory card is stuck scanning for errors?
- 4.11 My port was destroyed on my Galaxy Samsung 4 and I have a new one. They put my memory card in the new phone but only some of my pictures were transferred. These pictures aren't replaceable. I have tried using my Verizon representatives but no one can get those missing pictures to me. Help me please?
- 4.12 When I go into storage how do I unmount my SD card? Under SD card all it says is mount SD card?
- 4.13 I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB but now it's showing only 9 GB?
- 4.14 My pictures keep having a grey box appear over them?
- 4.15 How do I transfer my Samsung Galaxy S4's pictures to my computer? I have about 360 pictures stored somewhere but on the computer only about 129 show up. I don't know how to get the others to show up or if they are in another file?
- 4.16 Can I save my SIM card info to my laptop computer?
- 5 Comments
Inserting a memory card into a Samsung Galaxy S4
- 1Remove your phone's battery cover.To take it off, gently lift on the tab in the upper-left hand corner of the cover.2Insert your memory card with the gold contacts facing downward and toward the phone.Inserting the card incorrectly won't allow the phone to connect to the card, and could damage both the card and the slot.3Make sure that it is a snug fit, but don't force the card.Doing so could damage both the card and the slot.4When you are done inserting the SD card, put the cover back on your phone.Firmly but gently push on the cover until all six tabs have clicked in.
Removing a memory card
Removing a memory card involves an extra step that is incredibly important. You must unmount the SD card from your system before trying to remove it; failure to do this step could result in lost or corrupted data.
- 1Unmount the SD card from your phone.To do this go to Settings app, tap the More tap, find Storage, and then tap Unmount SD card.2Remove the back cover using the tap on the upper-left hand corner of the cover.3Use your fingernail to gently slide the SD card out.Try not to push on the card, as this could bend and damage your phone's metal contacts.4
Tips, Tricks & Warnings
- Not all memory cards are fully compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S4. Using an incompatible memory card may damage the phone or the memory card.
- Be careful when inserting the memory card, as it can be damaged easily.
- Do not remove the memory card without unmounting it through the phone's menu system. Failure to do so may result in data corruption.
Questions and Answers
I am getting the message SD card damaged on my Samsung Galaxy S4?
So, I went to settings and storage to try to unmount the card and then remount it, but storage only gives option of mount SD card.
You'll want to check the card again on your PC. Take the card out and use a card reader and make sure the PC recognizes it. If it does, you can reformat the card and try to mount in the phone.
If you are unable to format the SD card, you may need to replace it.
See more questions like this: Hello, i am trying to format my sd card on new verizon sg4 to exfat. when i follow the steps, i just delete the info but are not given option as to how to format. can u help
How do I format a memory card?
If you're using a new card for the first time, or 100% sure that you want to erase everything on your existing card, you can do that by formatting it. Instructions for formatting a memory card can be found at Format and Mount a Samsung Galaxy S4's External SD Memory Card.
See more questions like this: Memory card is not able to detect in Pc
Do you know how to set SD card as default storage?
There's no way to set the external SD card as the default storage without rooting the phone.
See more questions like this: Phone says your phone has no sd card inserted
Why is my Galaxy S4 not detecting my 64GB SD card?
If your phone is not detecting your SD card, try plugging it into your computer to see if it can be read. If it can, your phone's SD card contacts may defective and will need to be fixed by a certified technician.
See more questions like this: Received a replacement galaxy s4, put my sd card in and its not recognizing it
Do Class 6 16 GB SD cards work on the Galaxy S4?
Yes, Class 6 SD cards will work with the Galaxy S4.
See more questions like this: SD Card S4 Active will not work
Can you insert a memory card in a Samsung Galaxy S4?
Or how do you download memory?
Yes, you can insert an SD card into a Samsung Galaxy S4. The phone supports cards with storage sizes of up to 64GB.
Unfortunately, you cannot download storage or memory for your phone.
See more questions like this: Do you discourage the use of 64GB memory cards for Galaxy S4
How can l fix my Galaxy S4 IMEI corrupt message?
When I insert my SIM is not working, please can you help me with any solution?
If your SIM is not working, take your device with its SIM card to your carrier's local store to either get a new SIM card or fix the broken contacts in your phone.
Do I have to power down the phone before I remove the SD card?
Trying to remove SD card to insert into computer as my S4 won't connect to my Mac.
It is recommended that you either turn your phone off or unmount the SD card through your Settings application before removing it to prevent data loss or corruption.
See more questions like this: Damaged sd card on phone how to recover
I need help using a memory card once it's installed?
I would like to be able to save my future pictures and videos directly on my memory card. Is this possible?
Unfortunately, you cannot use your memory card as default storage for any app. You can later transfer files over to the SD card, but the camera will not automatically place new pictures or videos on it.
My memory card is stuck scanning for errors?
Memory card is inserted and checks for errors, and after that I can't access it.
Your phone will get stuck scanning for errors when you have a faulty SD card. You will need to purchase a new SD card and put your files on it.
See more questions like this: Help me restore my S4 Memory Card
My port was destroyed on my Galaxy Samsung 4 and I have a new one. They put my memory card in the new phone but only some of my pictures were transferred. These pictures aren't replaceable. I have tried using my Verizon representatives but no one can get those missing pictures to me. Help me please?
Unfortunately, it sounds like some of the pictures were removed or corrupted when the Verizon representatives took the card out of your old phone and put it in your new one. When pictures are corrupted, they are very difficult - and most times impossible - to get back.
When I go into storage how do I unmount my SD card? Under SD card all it says is mount SD card?
You'll want to check the card again on your PC. Turn your phone off and take the card out; then, use a card reader and make sure the PC recognizes it. If it does, you can reformat the card and try to mount in the phone and it should take care of your issue. If it doesn't, your SD card may need to be replaced.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 16GB but now it's showing only 9 GB?
When you fill your storage up with pictures, apps, and videos, the storage space you have left will go down. You still have a total of 16GB of space for your device, but you've already used 7GB up from downloading files and taking pictures.
My pictures keep having a grey box appear over them?
Many Galaxy S4 users have experienced this problem. One thing that has worked for several people is purchasing a new SD card and saving any images to that. If that does not correct the issue, consider going to your carrier for a replacement device, as it has happened to a lot of owners and will be covered under your warranty.
How do I transfer my Samsung Galaxy S4's pictures to my computer? I have about 360 pictures stored somewhere but on the computer only about 129 show up. I don't know how to get the others to show up or if they are in another file?
Instead of plugging your phone into your computer through USB, try removing the SD card from inside the back of the phone and plugging that into your computer through its SD card slot (or an SD card reader). This will give you access to all the files that are on your SD cards; sometimes, plugging your phone into your computer through USB won't give you access to all the phone's files.
See more questions like this: Samsung gal S4, trying to replace the 16 g sd with a 64 g sd...how is his done
Can I save my SIM card info to my laptop computer?
Can I take the SIM card out of my phone, put it into the PC slot and save what is on the card? Then can I put the card BACK into the phone, format it, and have its entire memory free to use again?
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.
Categories : USE SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
Recent edits by: lizzer, Inukshuk, Calob Horton
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 61,996 times.