Increase uTorrent download speed
Edited by Michael Mangada, Charmed, Lynn, Melsan and 53 others
uTorrent has come a long way since it first launched back in 2005. In the past 12 years, there have been numerous updates to the program that have improved nearly every aspect of it, including download speeds. Using uTorrent back in the day was a little hit or miss when it came to adjusting or tweaking settings to improve download speeds. Over the years, however, the need for such setting tweaks has diminished to the point where uTorrent, comes nearly optimized right out of the box. Running the programs setup guide will make any adjustments to your settings to help improve your download speed.
- 1 Check uTorrent Connection Settings (Recent Versions)
- 2 Increase Download Speed with Healthy Torrents
- 3 Increase Download Speed with a VPN
- 4 Older uTorrent Setting Tweaks
- 5 Tips Tricks & Warnings
6 Questions and Answers
- 6.1 I need help to download my uTorrent files?
- 6.2 How can I increase downloading a movie via uTorrent while using a broadband internet?
- 6.3 I have doubts about availability of a particular torrent.
- 6.4 Memory cannot configure correctly?
- 6.5 My question is: Before I used to have a 400kbps download speed in my uTorrent, but for the past 3 months my download speed falls to 10kbps. I've been trying to figure it out, been trying everything I know like Settings, VPN, Tracker, Advance setting?
- 6.6 How do I add the lines that are mentioned here?
- 6.7 How can I bypass the firewall of college?
- 6.8 My health bar is empty... not downloading... kbps bar is also empty?
- 7 Comments
Check uTorrent Connection Settings (Recent Versions)
uTorrent has a built-in setup guide to test your connection speed (download/upload), and will automatically adjust the applications settings to help maximize those speeds. More on the uTorrent setup guide here.
Make sure you stop or close any other programs using internet traffic. Streaming, downloading or even viewing other websites should be stopped before starting the speed test. This also includes, of course, other torrents or torrent clients currently downloading/uploading.
Increase Download Speed with Healthy Torrents
This one may seem obvious but the number of people seeding a torrent compared to how many are downloading it makes a significant difference in how fast it can be downloaded. Most sites will display some information on the health of a torrent file, but often times this data can be inaccurate.
For a more accurate reading on the health of a torrent file, follow these steps.
- 1A magnet link usually looks like a magnet and will open the torrent file right up in your default torrent client (uTorrent).Download or click a magnet link from your preferred torrent site.Advertisement
- 2If you clicked a magnet link, it will open the torrent file for you without any additional steps.If you downloaded a torrent file, locate it and drag it into the uTorrent window.
Increase Download Speed with a VPN
Most, if not all ISPs have some kind of system in place to limit or throttle p2p (torrent traffic). Sometimes this slows down your download speeds all together, other times you may only experience slower connections during certain times of the day. Whichever it is, using a quality VPN service will eliminate any interference with your download speeds. A Virtual Private Network (VPN) is a service that will encrypt your internet connection, allowing you to remain anonymous while online. If your ISP doesn't see torrent traffic, your connection shouldn't be limited.
It should be pointed out that, unless you use a VPN (with server speeds similar to your home connection), you most likely won't see the same download speed as you saw during the setup guide speed test.
There are both free and paid VPN services that allow p2p traffic. Read The Best VPN Services of 2016 to find a quality VPN. Read through the comments as there is good information on each service that may not be included in the article.
To find a free VPN service, follow the steps below
- 1Type "free VPN for torrenting" into the search box.Open up a browser and go to Google search.
Older uTorrent Setting Tweaks
It's easy to adjust your uTorrent settings to maximize download speeds. Follow the steps below.
- 1Go to an internet speed test site and test your connection speed. Do this about three times, and take note of the middle number, not the highest or lowest. This number should be measured in kilobits, or kb/s. This is your upload speed.Test your internet connection speed.
- 2Select "Options" then "Setup Guide". Click on the "Upload Speed" drop-down menu and select the speed that most closely matches with your upload speed. While you're here, change the port to a number above 10000. Click "Save & Close".Adjust upload speed settings.
- 3Click "Options" then "Bandwidth", and set these values:Adjust bandwidth settings.
- Set the Maximum Upload Rate or MUR to 10 to 15.
- Set the Maximum Download Rate or MDR to 1800.
- Set the Global Maximum Numbers of Connections to 2329.
- Set the Maximum number of connected peers per torrent to 250-300. Don't set it higher than 300.
- Set your Maximum upload slots per torrent to 14, then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.
- 4Click on "Options" then "Preferences". Select the "Advanced" tab and set these values:Adjust advanced settings.
- Scroll down and look for "bt.connect_speed". Set the value to 80.
- Scroll down again and look for "net.max_halfopen". Set the value to 100, then click "Apply" to save these settings.
- 5Click "Options" then "Preferences". Select "Queueing". Set your Maximum number of active downloads to 1, then click "Apply" and "OK" to save the settings.Adjust queueing options.
- 6Click "Options" then "Preferences". Click on "Connection". Check the box to enable UPnP port mapping. This lets uTorrent connect directly with seeds while avoiding any firewalls.Adjust connection options.
- 7Right-click on the torrent and select "Bandwidth Allocation". Set this to "High". You can also bypass any existing settings or schedules by right-clicking the torrent and selecting "Force Start".Prioritize the torrent.
Tips Tricks & Warnings
- If you download torrents fairly regularly, it may be wise to invest in a good VPN service that allows p2p traffic.
- If you're operating on a WiFi connection, try connecting directly to your modem or router to ensure maximum Internet connectivity.
- Stop other downloads and activities that use a large amount of your connection to help speed up the torrent download. Also, avoid using the internet while you're downloading torrents since this can slow down your speeds.
- Try upgrading your internet connection by contacting your ISP for best results. However, be aware that some ISPs throttle BitTorrent speeds, so your slow downloads could be the result of that.
- Update your uTorrent software. Check for updates regularly.
Questions and Answers
I need help to download my uTorrent files?
I'm downloading a 17GB file, and it's going very slowly. Please help me.
17GB is a very big file. Use this website to find out how long a 17GB file will take to download on your network. Also, torrenting can be throttled by ISPs, and your torrent will only go as fast as the speed at which your peers are sending it. Additionally, many internet providers throttle P2P high volume traffic such as file sharing programs like uTorrent. If possible temporarily try downloading using a different network and see if this affects your download speed. You could also try connecting to the internet via your phone and see if that makes a speed difference. Of course, you should not do the download over your phone, just do a quick test, unless you have a massive data plan on your cell phone.===I was having 250kbps speed but suddenly it dropped into 5kbps?=== I am having good downloading speed while I download in Google Chrome,
Many ISPs will cap the speed of torrents after a certain amount of usage. So you may have hit one of those caps. Additionally, you may be downloading at a time when many Seeders have stopped uploading the file, so check to see if the number of Seeders has gone down since you originally started downloading it.
How can I increase downloading a movie via uTorrent while using a broadband internet?
I'm only using broadband, I'm downloading a movie, I want to download it to fastest speed
There are a couple of things you can check to see if your download speed is being slowed. First, make sure that your ports are open to uTorrent; secondly, make sure that the movie you're downloading has more Seeders than Leechers; third, check to see if your computer's firewall is blocking uTorrent and slowing it down; lastly, check your broadband connection to make sure that nothing else is using up any bandwidth, which you can usually do via your Router's homepage.
See more questions like this: I have tried everything possible over internet but getting only 1mbps
I have doubts about availability of a particular torrent.
Some old torrent have few trackers and do not start immediately
You have several options available: contact the copyright holder for alternative download methods (HTTP, another download client, direct links, etc.) or, if the file is in public domain, look for the torrent in different search engines (https://yahoo.com, https://duckduckgo.com, https://yandex.ru, etc.). One of other solutions, especially relevant for old films, is looking for a BD, DVD, or CD with the requested content sold at any online stores like https://amazon.com or https://ebay.com.
See more questions like this: Speed fluctuates greatly, can I make it better?
Memory cannot configure correctly?
One day, I cleaned my computer and unplugged the SATA hard connector, after cleaning my computer it is showing an error on boot time: "The memory cannot configure itself correctly". Then, I press the "F1" button and save changes. Then, it shows display. If I cannot press the button "F1", the computer could not work. Please help me.
- 1To enter your BIOS, either read the manual for your computer on how to do that or watch what the screen shows when loading. It may display the key combination to enter your BIOS, which can be "Delete", "F2", "F10", etc. You can also find the key combination on the website of the motherboard manufacturer.Enter your BIOS.
- 2Select it.Find the setting in the BIOS to reset all of the settings to their default values.
- 3Save the changes and exit the BIOS.
- 4Open your computer case and locate the CMOS battery. The CMOS battery is shown in the picture below. When ordering a new CMOS battery, ensure that the parameters of the new battery match with the ones inscribed on the old battery. To take the CMOS battery out, just gently press on the tag next to it and pull the battery up.If that did not help, then your CMOS battery might be dead, thus not saving any changes in the BIOS.
My question is: Before I used to have a 400kbps download speed in my uTorrent, but for the past 3 months my download speed falls to 10kbps. I've been trying to figure it out, been trying everything I know like Settings, VPN, Tracker, Advance setting?
How to make uTorrent run like before
If you made no changes then its most likely your ISP has capped Torrent traffic. The only solution is to use a VPN tunnel to hide the traffic. Unfortunately, high-speed VPNs are not cheap.
See more questions like this: How can I unlock a forgotten pattern in any Android model phones
See more questions like this: Mouse left hand button only works on my wired optical mouse, can't speed
How do I add the lines that are mentioned here?
How to add those lines to speed up my download?
You have to open the uTorrent client, find a legal torrent or a magnet link, and add it to the uTorrent client first. Usually, double-clicking the link in your browser is enough. If not, then click the plus (file) icon or globe (URL) icon in the uTorrent client. These icons are under the menu, and they will allow you to add a torrent to download. You will see the torrent in the main frame starting to be downloaded. Right-click it under the "Name" column". Click "Properties" in the pop-up menu. Click the "General" tab in the pop-up window. In the "Trackers" input box, add the list of trackers from the article at the end of the existing list. Do not erase the previous lines.
How can I bypass the firewall of college?
I want to download the torrent but it is not downloading with full speed due to a firewall, How should I bypass the firewall without them knowing. I have tried: I watched a video for bypass Cyberoam security and it works 50%. I think it was caused by: College block p2p server Cyberoam security
Use a VPN but, check to see what the rules are regarding using the school's internet.
My health bar is empty... not downloading... kbps bar is also empty?
My health bar is empty... not downloading... kbps bar is also empty.... I have been trying for a long time... changed preference settings... but it seems slower now. The Health Bar is empty... No download kbps... nothing changes after changing settings in preferences. I have tried: Tried Changing Preferences and changing torrent client. I think it was caused by: I don't know why this is happening please help
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.