Increase punching power
Edited by Ephraim, Charmed, Eng, Melsan and 2 others
This article will focus on how you can build up your punching power. For whatever reasons you have to pursue this, punching power is something that can be obtained with the correct training and exercises. Whether you want to increase your punching power for sports, or to learn to defend yourself against enemies, these suggestions will help you to gain more punching power, by following some easy steps.
- 1Roughly translated, this means your punching power depends on the speed at which you can accelerate your body to connect with your target. If you are want to gain more punching power, then you will need to increase the speed at which you throw with your body's mass. So in a nutshell you will need to practice throwing punches that work according to your body's weight. The steps below will help you focus your power and achieve more punching power.First you need to know the formula for your punching power; power = mass x speed.Advertisement
- 2If you have a punching bag accessible you can use this to increase your punching power. Use the punching bag to throw your punches, repeatedly, using your weight behind the punches. This will increase the strength of your punches.Some people believe that lifting weights can help you gain punching power, but we suggest you use a medicine ball or practice throwing punches, as these are more helpful for you to increase punching power.Advertisement
- 3This counteracts your weight against yourself, thus increasing the power behind your punches.If you wish to train with a medicine ball, throw the medicine ball up into the air and catch it repeatedly.
- 4This will lighten the feel of your punches, and increasing your speed - thus, increasing the power of your punches. You can practice throwing these punches with weights in your hand for about 15 to 20 minutes a day. Very soon, you will feel the increase in speed in your throws. As you body becomes accustomed to those weights, it's a good idea to increase the weight, increasing the strength in your punches. Some world renowned boxers, such as Mike Tyson, practice with 10 lbs weights to keep his punching power up, even though he is very muscular. Don't hurt yourself. Don't increase the weight if you aren't ready. Wrist injuries are very common with this practice, so just take your time.Using dumbbells that weigh about 2 lbs, will work on the correct muscles.
- 5Jumping rope also increases your stamina, but works on your arms, thereby going against your weight (mass), increasing your punching power.Just as boxers do, jumping rope can increase the power of you punches by boosting not only your cardio, but your reaction time.
The steps above will increase your punching power better than bench pressing and lifting weights. These activities will increase your overall strength, but not all muscular people have the most punching power. It's a combination of strength, speed and agility.
Tips to work with your punching speed
More than increasing your punching power. You need to work on your punching speed as well. Your punching power also depends on your speed as well, and they both need to be present to exist attain good punching power. Here are the tips:
- 1Remember that if you are tense, you cannot maximize your punching speed. Make sure you keep your shoulders relaxed, and breathe deeply in order to control your emotions and to deliver a massive punching power with a speed.Stay Chilled:
- 2It is best that you create your own technique to improve your punching speed and increase the chance of landing punches on your target. You may have massive punching power, but if you have poor technique, you would fail to land those punches. You can do sparring to test your technique, and improve upon it.Proper Technique:
- 3Join a gym and complete all gym session that focuses on speed only. Practice with your footwork, and perform short sprints, then job and sprint again to increase foot speed. If you do not want to go to the gym, you can simply perform it at home shadow boxing in front of a mirror. Do the following shadow boxing sequences:Gym Session:
- First, make 3 straight punches starting from left.
- Step to the right with your left foot first, then punch 3 straight punched, starting from right and end with upper cut.
- Step back to the center and do 3 straight punches.
- Step to the right and perform 3 straight punches, starting from right, and end it with left uppercut. Repeat all steps to 16 counts every day, to increase punching speed and power and foot speed.
- 4People working on enhancing their punching power and speed, tire quickly. If you feel like you're losing steam, just shout with HA! Then breathe in breathe out. This will help to control mental exhaustion.Mind control:
- 5Weights can help you increase power and speed. Make sure that you put equal weights on both hands/arms and perform sequence of punches - step punch and step punch. Repeat the sequence of punches at least 16 counts. If you are a boxer, or not, if you continue this training, once you get the hand weight off you will feel the difference in speed and increased punching power.Hand weights:Advertisement
If you have problems with any of the steps in this article, please post in the comments section below.
Categories : Combat Sports
Recent edits by: Nuance, Melsan, Eng