Increase Your Range Singing: Tea and Other Home Remedies That Work
Edited by Jan Margery Castillo, Eng, Lynn, Dougie and 10 others
"Baby it's you. You're the one I love. You're the one I need. You're the only one I see.
Come on baby it's you." --Love on Top, Beyonce, 2011
Nothing beats singing happy tunes with high notes. It releases stress, especially when you dance along with the music and try to belt out the highest notes. There is something that can hinder the enjoyment of your singing; if you can't reach those high notes because your vocal range is limited. There are voice lessons that can help you increase your vocal range, but did you know there are many home remedies you can use that will improve your range as well? Whether you're a singer or not, this discussion will help you condition your vocal cords with tea and other home remedies, so you can hit those lovely high notes more easily.
- 1 Determine Your Current Voice Range
- 2 Why you can't sing high notes
- 3 Hot Tea for Your Singing Voice
- 4 How to increase singing range
- 5 Questions and Answers
- 5.1 Tea that helps you hit high note?
- 5.2 What does it mean if your singing voice range is d3 - a5?
- 5.3 Things to do to increase vocal range everyday?
- 5.4 Cannot sing in key to another key in harmonious female voice?
- 5.5 I am a singer and I am having problems singing high range songs?
- 5.6 Are there any specific methods geared toward specific voice types?
- 5.7 Hello. I am a soprano singer but I can't sing high octave without using falsetto and even my falsetto is getting bad I mean low. Please, I need your assistance on what to do?
- 5.8 Am Gisella, I sing soprano and alto but my best is soprano. Of late I have been experiencing some hitches with my voice. when I sing soprano with high notes, I go off key?
- 5.9 I can sing high notes, however I'm having nervous, tension, before I sing, so its hard for me to release my vocal singing in high notes, that is why I need some or pieces of advice from you sir?
- 5.10 My vocal range is F3 to G5, what does it mean? I want force in my voice?
- 5.11 Hi, my voice is not clear, what are the remedies I can follow?
- 5.12 My name is Blessed. How do I sing professionally? How do I become an excellent singer who's almost referred to as out-of-this-world?
- 6 Comments
Determine Your Current Voice Range
To know how much you need to practice to achieve a higher singing range, it's important to determine first what your current vocal range is. Your current vocal range means the set of notes, from lowest to highest, that you can comfortably sing. In order to find your range, you need the help of a piano or keyboard to identify which notes you can hit. Hiring a vocal coach is helpful, especially if you are a singer. The only other materials needed for this exercise are pen and paper.
- 1Begin by playing and singing the Middle C or C4. The image below shows that the Middle C is located on the third or fourth octave. Hit each piano key down the scale and sing the notes. Listen to your voice carefully and make sure each note resembles the sound of the musical instrument. The notes which you can sing comfortably are already part of your vocal range.Test your lowest range.Advertisement
- 2You will find it more and more uncomfortable, the lower you go. When a note is too low for you to sing, you may stop there. Write down the note you sang previous to the note you couldn't sing. That is the low end of your vocal rang.Recognize your lowest voice range.Advertisement
- 3Repeat the same process, this time moving up the scales from the Middle C. Sing and play each note until you reach a sound that makes you uncomfortable. Record the note before you squeaked like a cat, as the highest note in your vocal range.Test your high range.
- 5The total amount of octaves and other extra notes is your current vocal range. An average male untrained voice has one octave, while a professional singer can reach up to two and a half octave. Women have a wider singing range, which can reach up to four octaves, but that is highly unusual. Cleo Laine, in her prime, had a range of over four octaves, while it is rumored that Mariah Carey has a vocal range of five octaves.Determine your singing range.
Remember that every individual has a different natural range. Expanding a vocal range doesn't always mean going way beyond your fixed range; it means improving the quality of your highest and lowest note and becoming comfortable singing them.
Types of Vocal Range
Once you determine your current voice range, you need to know exactly your range classification. The four basic classifications are as follows:
- Soprano - High female voice from B3 to F6
- Alto - Lowest range of female voice from D3 to A5
- Tenor - Highest male voice from A2 to A5
- Bass - Lowest male voice range from B1 to G5
Why you can't sing high notes
Trying to increase your voice range takes a lot of practice and effort, but you need to understand the reason you can't reach the high keys. One is that you sing in a falsetto voice. It happens when your chest voice (normal talking voice) has reached its highest capacity and your vocal cords become separated. You will notice that in a falsetto voice, your tone loses its depth. Your voice sounds breathy and light. It's important to learn how to prepare your voice for shifting to higher notes, without moving into your falsetto. This gives your voice deeper, more powerful sound.
When you are push your voice too hard while attempting to hit the high notes, there's a tendency to push your cords beyond their capacity. This results in yelling. Your vocal cords are not yet fully developed, and it sounds "forced" when singing in the high registers. It's not only irritating to listen to, but it may also damage your vocal cords. This can be corrected through a speech exercise where the combination of chest and head voice is developed. This exercise will allow you to sing high notes without damaging your vocal cords.
Hot Tea for Your Singing Voice
Warm-up is essential prior to singing. You need to have flexible vocal cords that will open very wide for high notes. Your throat must be warmed up as well, to achieve proper vibration. Hot tea, along with the usual vocal warm up techniques, will help expand your vocal cords, but not all teas are recommended for use if you want to have a smooth singing voice. Avoid caffeinated teas like black tea because they will dry out your vocal cords.
Herbal teas are caffeine free. They are naturally low in acidity, making them safe for your vocal cords. Herbal teas such as ginger, cinnamon, licorice, lemon, echinacea, cayenne pepper, and clove tea, are naturally warming. Drink two to three cups of tea, especially when you are training for a performance or recording an album. Add honey as a sweetener to provide throat lubrication, but make sure you don't add too much, as it could be very sweet. This will prevent your vocal cords from becoming irritated when they vibrate.
Drinking tea helps you sustain your voice for longer sessions. There's a tendency, too, that you'll be able to reach a few higher notes, beyond the top of your current range.
How to increase singing range
There are many ways to expand your vocal range. One is to get yourself a vocal coach or music teacher. If you want to explore things you can do yourself to increase your range, then read the following steps for suggestions.
- 1Before doing any vocal activities, it's essential to do some warm-ups. Before rehearsal or training, drink a hot herbal tea with lemon and honey to prepare your vocal cords. Increase the oxygen to your throat by massaging your neck for a few minutes. This will stimulate your muscles and increase blood circulation. Use some vocal warm up songs too, and hum at a low volume to condition your voice. Work on notes with little varying range just to warm up your vocal cords. Like any other workout, warming up will help you perform better without tiring too easily. With proper warm up, you'll be able to endure long hours of practice or performance without experiencing vocal fatigue.Warm up.
- 2As with any other talent, practice makes perfect. Remember that the voice becomes rusty if it's not used for a long time. Practice singing songs with high and low notes. Try hitting high notes within your current range, until you get used to it. Your aim is to get comfortable in those high registers, whether you are singing a quick scale or a longer stretch. Practice singing in your lowest range as well, and try to increase your stamina. Sing a certain song that's within your highest or lowest vocal range and keep on singing it at least three times a day. When it becomes comfortable for you to reach the lowest and highest notes, move on to another song with a higher range.Practice every day or three times a week.
- 3Breath support is an important key to improving your singing voice. When you practice breath support, you need to inhale through your nose and exhale through your mouth. A good exercise would be to inhale through your nose for five seconds and exhale through your mouth for 10 seconds. Make it 15-20 seconds long next time to better control your breathing. Make sure that your shoulders are relaxed and that they don't move up as you inhale. Practice exhaling longer and expand your diaphragm as you do this exercise. The idea is to is to produce as little air as you can while you sing, because your objective is to control your vocal cords. Daily breathing exercises will help strengthen your diaphragm, as it is important to your hitting those high notes.Breathing exercise.Advertisement
Questions and Answers
Tea that helps you hit high note?
Any tea with honey will help by providing lubrication. Some teas, especially those with caffeine, will just irritate the voice. Just make sure that your voice is well rested and that tea is consumed at least an hour before performance.
What does it mean if your singing voice range is d3 - a5?
If you can sing notes comfortably from D3 to A5, then you have the vocal range of a mezzo soprano. This is coined as the second highest type of female voice following the soprano. They usually sing the lower melody alongside sopranos when in a choir, as mezzo sopranos have a characteristically darker timbre, heavy voice quality, and lower tessitura which suits the piece. There are a number of singers such as Christina Aguilera and Whitney Houston who can sing the lower notes of D3 with ease while strongly hitting A5 or even higher.
Things to do to increase vocal range everyday?
There is a common notion that a singer is restricted or limited to a certain vocal range. Although every singer works around on a certain comfort zone or maximum vocal range in singing, you can definitely enhance and increase your vocal range to new heights. Here are some effective tips to achieve that:
- Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, spicy foods, and caffeine. Vocal hygiene is important. If you want to expand your vocal range, you must start with a good diet and perhaps a shift in your lifestyle. Drinking alcoholic beverages and smoking do not only pose serious hazard risks for your health but also for your vocal abilities. Your voice can be damaged by disregarding a balanced diet and not living a healthy lifestyle.
- Enhance your listening skills. It cannot be stressed enough that the ability for you to listen to the music, is as equally important as you singing the music. You must familiarize yourself with different vocal ranges and techniques from both professionals and amateurs. Curiosity and the hunger to learning and listening can help you expand your vocal range.
- Perfect and improve your vocal range. Get comfortable with your own vocal range. Practice definitely makes perfect. Repeat vocal exercises every day and adapt proven and modern vocal techniques to improve your voice quality and strength.
- Sing beyond your vocal range. Attempt the unthinkable and sing beyond your vocal range. Extend beyond your so-called vocal limits and practice singing melodies that are past your usual range. Master your vocal talents by developing precision and control, while aiming for higher or much deeper notes.
Cannot sing in key to another key in harmonious female voice?
My voice sounded like I was yelling in a high pitch
Vocal control is a learned art. If you appear to be yelling when you are singing in a higher range of pitch, then you are out of your normal vocal range. Some people will never sing Soprano yet they are exceptional Alto singers. Accept the range you are comfortable in without straining your vocal cords. Then you can do vocal exercises to build your pitch range. Always stop before it becomes uncomfortable or you risk damage to your vocal cords.
I am a singer and I am having problems singing high range songs?
When I sing high range my vocal cords starts to irritate
If you are still on pitch, warm up with vocal exercises daily and before singing. Use items like Ginger in your tea for anti-inflammatory purposes. Also, consider using a cool mist humidifier in your room at night close to your bed. This will help keep your vocal cords lubricated.
Are there any specific methods geared toward specific voice types?
I want to know if Bass would do the exact same vocal exercises and eat the same diet as a Soprano would.
When large choirs warm up before a concert or to practice, they all do the same thing. The key is to stay within your range. Now there are tailored exercises based on a Bass or Soprano range yet whatever you do to practice, the importance is to not strain your vocal cords by trying to get to a high note too fast.
Hello. I am a soprano singer but I can't sing high octave without using falsetto and even my falsetto is getting bad I mean low. Please, I need your assistance on what to do?
I really want to be able to sing high octave back, kindly tell me the steps I need to take or what I can use.
Follow several of the suggestions on this article and within the answers. You may have damage to your vocal cords which are preventing you from hitting those higher notes. If you smoke or drink alcohol regularly, this can also damage your vocal cords.
Am Gisella, I sing soprano and alto but my best is soprano. Of late I have been experiencing some hitches with my voice. when I sing soprano with high notes, I go off key?
What must I do to get my soprano back without any hitches. I have tried: I have reduced the level of which I talk, took some lozenges, tried lime with warm water. I think it was caused by: We had an upcoming programme so we had an all-night rehearsals and that was all
This YouTube Tutorial has some great tips for staying on key while singing. It is common to go off pitch when singing a high note if you are thinking too hard about it. You also could have some vocal cord damage which is why you are feeling more restraint than usual when trying to reach a high note.
I can sing high notes, however I'm having nervous, tension, before I sing, so its hard for me to release my vocal singing in high notes, that is why I need some or pieces of advice from you sir?
Like what I've said, I'm having different tension before I sing!
When you are nervous before you sing, your breath pattern is off. Breath pattern works in conjunction with around 2,000 other bodily functions. If you are not breathing from your stomach and pushing that air through your diaphragm properly, those high notes are going to be missed.
My vocal range is F3 to G5, what does it mean? I want force in my voice?
I want to sing with more force, I want a melodious and powerful voice, I'm good in studio. I just need little bass in my voice. Sometimes my voice sounds perfect, sometimes not. I don't have force in my voice. I have tried: I can sing any genre, but I can't sing high scale songs perfectly. I think it was caused by: Maybe my genre..I mostly sing romantic ballads, and urban songs.
There is nothing wrong with singing soft romantic ballads and urban songs. In fact, R&B is having a major revival of fans and prime time song play on radio stations. You never want to force your voice. This will do damage. If you want more power then you need to work on your breathing technique. Many professional singers do hours of strength on their core and cardio exercise a day to work on their breath output sustaining through the diaphragm.
Hi, my voice is not clear, what are the remedies I can follow?
I have to face a singing competition next month, but my voice is not clear. Sometimes it gets rough. So I don't feel confidence on my performances. Can you help me? I have a certainly good voice range, but sometimes it gets rough.
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
My name is Blessed. How do I sing professionally? How do I become an excellent singer who's almost referred to as out-of-this-world?
I was motivated by a recorded song sang by a Nigerian Lady singer. I envied her singing prowess. I decided to take up a challenge to singing professionally. I need to know what to eat, drink; exercises to carry out and other things I need to do. I want to profit from singing professionally. I sing Tenor, but can easily switch to alto and semi soprano. I want to sing high pitch. Each time I try to get there, there is this limit that keeps me from reaching there. I need to get to that unlimited stage where I could just switch even to high pitches without stress. I need a detailed information on how to sing professionally
VisiHow QnA. This section is not written yet. Want to join in? Click EDIT to write this answer.
Categories : Voice Lessons & Tips
Recent edits by: Maria, jyot Singh, scarlet tuazon