Increase Vocal Clarity and Protect your Singing Voice From Overuse
Edited by Doug Collins
In this article you will learn the differences between certain foods that are good and bad for you for your vocal clarity. You will be informed on what important key factors are essential if you are going to use your vocals all the time.
Increase the clarity of your vocal abilities
- 5Vitamins C helps prevent the common cold and sore throat as well as improve immune functions of the body items that can be consumed are bell peppers, dark leafy greens, kiwifruit broccoli, berries, citrus fruits ( don't eat citrus fruits on the day of your event though because of the acid) tomatoes, peas, and papayas.
- 7Manuka honey which has anti-microbial properties meaning bacteria will find it hard to survive and reproduce in honey.The honey also makes it hard for mucus to dwell within the vocal cords. A spoon full of this will help keep bacteria away and will also help with sore throats healing faster than regular honey. If you can't find Manuka honey try to find honey that is natural. Or you can mix it with the water either way is helpful.
Common BUT Bad food and drinks to avoid that are commonly consumed
Keys to keeping the vocal cords healthy
- 1Doing warm ups they are essential.Your vocal cords are muscles that require much attention before you sing. Without warming up before a performance it can cause minor injuries or worse. Just as athletes before competition warm up. Such as singers should do warm-ups, they should be viewed as they are essential, to prevent force on the muscles and ligaments. Which can lead to injuries and long term issues. 15 minutes before the event would be a good time to warm up the vocals folds.Advertisement
- 2Rest.When anything is over worked it cannot work properly. This is how we should view our vocals when we have not gotten that 8 hours our vocal may be raspy and hard to hit high notes because lack of rest.
- 3Drinking water instead of clearing your throat.As soon as you feel the urge to clear your throat try to drink some water. This can take practice but, it can be done. Clearing your throat constantly causes your vocal folds to be repeated abused. This is the vicious cycle the more one person does it the more they feel they need to do it.
What to do when your vocal cords are hurt due to overuse or abuse
- 1When your vocal cords get damaged due to overuse during a performance it takes 24-36 hours for them to heal fully.Do not use them during this healing period no matter what.
- 2If they are not able to repair within two days, and there are constant things being put on them (such as the bad things we listed) this will cause them to constrict, causing minor if not permanent damage to your vocal chords.The truth is nothing can clear the vocal folds and for you to have a unstrained clear sound but water. So drink plenty of water while they are repairing.Advertisement
I can talk so well from this place because several months ago my vocal cords or vocal folds were torn and I had to take 21 days to prepare them back to normal and the things I listed were the things I did and they are stronger than they have ever been. I still take the cod liver oil pills ever day with them keeping my vocals lubricated.
I hope this article has been helpful to you, for any question or concerns you may have concerning your vocal cords comment below I will be happy to answer your questions. If you follow these steps you are on your way to a healthy clear singing voice.
- If you have problems with any of these steps, ask a question for more help, or post in the comments section below.